Calif City Swaps Gifts For Guns [merged threads]

PDA

BenW
December 24, 2005, 11:46 PM
Rats! I thought I was gonna have a place to go and swap any crappy Christmas presents I get for new guns.......

-------------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051225/ap_on_re_us/gifts_for_guns

California City Swaps Gifts for Guns

By SANDY COHEN, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 12 minutes ago

"Big Daddy" Willis came to Compton to turn an illegal homemade pistol into Christmas dinner. Charlene Watt planned to turn three shotguns into a plasma TV.

The two were among dozens of gun-toting residents who converged on a shopping center parking lot Saturday to anonymously swap firearms for gift certificates as part of a program aimed at reducing violence in this crime-plagued city.

Each was rewarded with a $100 gift card for Circuit City or the Ralphs supermarket chain, the program's co-sponsors.

In a line that snaked across a parking lot, participants from across Los Angeles County carried guns in cardboard boxes, plastic grocery bags and fancy leather cases.

"Hopefully and prayerfully this will cut down on the shootings," said Compton resident Ruther Daniels, 44, who turned in a .22-caliber handgun.

Authorities created the program after a sharp spike in Compton's crime rate this year. Sixty-eight homicides have been recorded so far in 2005, up from 39 in 2004, according to sheriff's Capt. Eric Hamilton.

Over three consecutive Saturdays, sheriff's deputies amassed more than 250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol.

"The only reason you'd have these guns is to shoot at people," said sheriff's Deputy A.J. Rotella, who came up with the Gifts for Guns concept.

All will undergo ballistics checks to determine if they were used in crimes before being melted down at the sheriff's annual "gun dump."

Authorities said the gun exchange might become an annual program. It was funded by the city of Compton, Circuit City, Ralphs and the Sheriff's Department through its sale of assets seized in drug cases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Calif City Swaps Gifts For Guns [merged threads]" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wheeler
December 24, 2005, 11:53 PM
I have always hated the concept of these "Gun buy-back" progorams. It's hard to say how much Circuit City was involved, if this was a decision of a regional manager or a corporate decision. Apparantly they are proud enough of their involvement to have their name used by AP. Here's the link: http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20051224/43acd5d0_3ca6_15526200512241929709802

"Hopefully and prayerfully this will cut down on the shootings," said Compton resident Ruther Daniels, 44, who turned in a .22-caliber handgun.

Was she planning on shooting someone herself? If so, perhaps she needs to seek some sort of profesional therapy in addition to getting rid of her blaster. She might become overwhelmed with the urge to shoot someone and go out and get another gun...:uhoh:

Over three consecutive Saturdays, sheriff's deputies amassed more than 250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol.

Odd that there were no low powered rifles, standard or non sawed off shotguns and what the he#% is a "semiautomatic machine gun pistol" anyway? :confused:

"The only reason you'd have these guns is to shoot at people," said sheriff's Deputy A.J. Rotella, who came up with the Gifts for Guns concept. Ah yes, the authoratative LEO personage weighing in with his sage advice. The only reason you peasants would have guns would be to shoot at other peasants or maybe even at us cop-type folks. Give us your guns so we can better take care of you. No offense to the LEOs of this board. That's a hard attitude for me to swallow.

Wheeler

Janitor
December 25, 2005, 12:04 AM
Authorities created the program after a sharp spike in Compton's crime rate this year. Sixty-eight homicides have been recorded so far in 2005, up from 39 in 2004, according to sheriff's Capt. Eric Hamilton.
Well ... I don't know what your problem is. It sounds like they have it figured out to me ... it's the guns. MmmHmmm.

Now be quiet and drink your Kool Aid.
-

madmike
December 25, 2005, 12:15 AM
Yeah, guy turns one in, hoping it will "cut down on crime." So is he a criminal, a hypocrite, or just stupid?

And where can I find a...what was it? Ah, here: "Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol."

Is that like a Chevette Sport Utility Race Car?

Morons.

Somebody should have cut a deal with Bryco to take 1000 $39 wholesale .25s down in a truck:neener:

"The only reason you'd have these guns is to shoot at people," said sheriff's Deputy A.J. Rotella, who came up with the Gifts for Guns concept.

Gee. All mine are defective.

Morons.

:banghead:

Standing Wolf
December 25, 2005, 12:19 AM
Each was rewarded with a $100 gift card for Circuit City or the Ralphs supermarket chain, the program's co-sponsors.

I'm in need of a new microwave oven. It won't be from Circuit City.

madmike
I'd rather ask them to start one here.

AFTER I organize 40K people at the Indy 1500 Gun And Knife Show to line up with all their crap and BB guns :neener:

Mugsy90/10
Somebody should have cut a deal with Bryco to take 1000 $39 wholesale .25s down in a truck:neener:

My thoughts exactly...

Standing Wolf
December 25, 2005, 12:23 AM
Apparantly they are proud enough of their involvement to have their name used by AP.

I'll buy my new microwave oven elsewhere.

Third_Rail
December 25, 2005, 12:28 AM
"250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol"

SA MG pistol. Huh. High powered rifles? You mean... deer guns? Sawed off shotguns... you mean... 18.5" bbled shotguns?

SIOP
December 25, 2005, 12:44 AM
Damn, I thought for a second that if you brought a gift, they gave you a gun.

Spreadfire Arms
December 25, 2005, 12:49 AM
damn.

someone needs to tell me these things. i can bring in like 100 junk guns worth about $25 each and make a killing! :)

mr.trooper
December 25, 2005, 01:09 AM
You Poor-Dumb Peasent! You OBVIOUSLY havent been indoctrinated properly!

Thats OK. A Quick vacation to Git-Mo, and youl be good as new! :)

The-Fly
December 25, 2005, 01:25 AM
any bets how many of these guns were stolen? Why not return them to their rightful owners? Just encourages crooks to steal even more guns.

Lupinus
December 25, 2005, 01:40 AM
Bet none of the serfs willing to give up their guns are being charged for carrying in public and illegal concealed carry

Maybe next they will drive to your house to pick it up for you, after all that many people together in one place with that many guns is a tragedy waiting to happen! Wait what do you mean no one was shot? :rolleyes:

I mean all those evil semiautomatic machine guns! :neener: All in one place someone must have been shot since they have a mind of their own to kill everyone they come within range of.

MatthewVanitas
December 25, 2005, 02:02 AM

185 + 48 + 15 + 1 = 249

Where are all the .22 rifles? Two options:

a) Gun #250 (and a few more for "over") was a .22 rifle
b) .22 rifles fall under the "high-powered" rifle category.

-MV

stevelyn
December 25, 2005, 02:16 AM
The lazy police department's way to avoid having to solve crimes.

The_Antibubba
December 25, 2005, 02:30 AM
Those who would trade liberty for a Circuit City gift card deserve neither.

I know I'll sleep easier knowing that Ruther Daniels has surrendered her 22 caliber handgun. :rolleyes:

Pilgrim
December 25, 2005, 02:37 AM
By this reasoning, Deputy Rotella should be turning in his pistol for a gift certificate.

Pilgrim

Rem700SD
December 25, 2005, 03:47 AM
they really need to advertise this better; i'm thinking a couple manufactures' licenses, a few thousand cheap "sten" semi-autos with just enuff parts to pass for functional, maybe $2.50 in parts and labor....we could really clean up!

El Tejon
December 25, 2005, 07:56 AM
So, Deputy Roteya, if guns cause violence, why are you armed?:confused:

Disarm California cops, for the children!

CAnnoneer
December 25, 2005, 09:57 AM
Circuit City is officially added to my commie business boycott list.

MDG1976
December 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
I'd trade any one of my guns for an XBox 360 right now.

pharmer
December 25, 2005, 12:11 PM
"a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol." Man I'd hate to come up against one of those. Joe:rolleyes:

madmike
December 25, 2005, 12:47 PM
"a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol." Man I'd hate to come up against one of those. Joe:rolleyes:

Now, refresh my memory. Is that a semiautomatic assault weapon of mass destruction rambo killing machine like Jay Rockefeller owns, or a super-accurate bolt action telescope sighted sniper assassin killing machine like Sarah Brady bought for her son?

:banghead:

And I'd assume "High powered rifles" include .22s and BB guns.

SIGarmed
December 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
What did you expect coming out of Compton, California? People that strive for independance and beleive in the Bill Of Rights? The city officials and LA County employee's are only doing it for themselves. They look at it as a way to insure a safer job.

It would see like some of these residents can't make a hard decision for themselves let alone realize that city officials and LA County can't protect them. It's a lot easier for them to be ignorant.

This is typical of the inner city mindset that our liberal freinds strive for.
Know thine enemy.

yonderway
December 25, 2005, 01:10 PM
Ruth Daniels
820 W Compton Blvd
Compton, CA 90220-2946
(310) 631-7774

No longer has a gun in their house. Any burglars or rapists can look her up as easily as I just did to find out what homes are "safe" to invade.

The criminals aren't turning their guns in.

These programs only drive up the ratio of armed thugs to armed citizens

What they ought to be doing instead is taking guns that they've confiscated from criminals and hand them out at town hall meetings, senior centers, YWCA, etc.

RS2
December 25, 2005, 01:30 PM
Ruth Daniels

No longer has a gun in their house. Any burglars or rapists can look her up as easily as I just did to find out what homes are "safe" to invade.

It doesn't say she "no longer has a gun in [her] house." It just says she no longer has that worthless .22. ;)

Ron

GRB
December 25, 2005, 01:40 PM
that it has come to gun turn ins for money just to score points for politicians. I am certain that no one turning in these guns was thinking of using them in a criime spree, if so then why turn them in at all. My guess is that there were no questions asked and if you turned in a gun they just gave you the $100 gift card. I am guessing that I could have profited at least $120 net profit by turning in just three old rifles I bought at a very decent price. I wish they would do that here where I live and give advance warning. I would go out and buy up every piece of junk 22 rifle I could lay my hands on, then I would turn a nice profit. As a matter of fact, maybe I would have to put together what appeared to be a functioning zip gun or two - as I see from the article that someone even turned in a homemade gun; of course, my homemade zip gun would not be capable of being fired but I'd give it a try to see if it got me that gift card. What a bunch of truly misguided people politicians and law enforcement can turn out to be (read what the sheriff said about the ONLY reason someone would have these guns). It is a true shame stuuff like this takes money out of the public coffer." It could have been used to feed and clothe people, or maybe to put up a Christmas tree, a Menorah and a sign saying have a nice day for the atheists. See the article below (from this link at Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179714,00.html:

Angelenos Swap Guns for Gift Cards
Sunday, December 25, 2005

COMPTON, Calif. — "Big Daddy" Willis came to Compton to turn an illegal homemade pistol into Christmas dinner. Charlene Watt planned to turn three shotguns into a plasma TV.

The two were among dozens of gun-toting residents who converged on a shopping center parking lot Saturday to anonymously swap firearms for gift certificates as part of a program aimed at reducing violence in this crime-plagued city.

In a line that snaked across a parking lot, participants from across Los Angeles County carried guns in cardboard boxes, plastic grocery bags and fancy leather cases.

All will undergo ballistics checks to determine if they were used in crimes before being melted down at the sheriff's annual "gun dump."

Authorities said the gun exchange might become an annual program. It was funded by the city of Compton, Circuit City, Ralphs and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department through its sale of assets seized in drug cases.

SomeKid
December 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
Anybody got a lot of crappy cheap Lorcins or Keltecs?

madmike
December 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
http://www.1919a4.com/imagegallery/images/bmg50_quad01.jpg I'd love to just drive by with THIS and see how they react.:evil:

P95Carry
December 25, 2005, 01:48 PM
Not quite sure in which direction to vomit Glenn!!

Amazing how folks will get suckered on this stuff - sadly I fear in many cases thinking how ''good'' and how ''noble'' they are being, relinquishing those ''deadly guns''.

Mind you, on reflection - there would for me be a temptation to 'cash in'' a busted and useless Bryco, or beat up H&R - just to get some sense of satisfaction! :D
Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistolWell, there's an oxymoron - classic reporting crap, all helping to blind the sheep to what is real.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merged Glenn's thread in with Wheelers.

yonderway
December 25, 2005, 01:50 PM
I know I'll sleep easier knowing that Ruther Daniels has surrendered her 22 caliber handgun. :rolleyes:

Anyone robbing homes in compton will be glad to know that they can enter her home unopposed.

820 W Compton Blvd
Compton, CA 90220-2946
(310) 631-7774

TrybalRage
December 25, 2005, 02:23 PM
You know, if by Ms. Daniels turning in her handgun = less shootings, which by her own words seems to be the case...

You know what? Never mind.

Does anyone ever think of writing a nice letter to CC and have a bunch of people sign it to let them know just how we feel about them sponsoring this?

glockamolee
December 25, 2005, 02:29 PM
When the guns were turned in, were they handed to the Deputies via the "sideways Gangsta Style?" or the "Two handed I'm ignorant that this gun is loaded; shoulda aksed ma teen Crip/Blood 'bout it first style?"

madmike
December 25, 2005, 02:48 PM
When the guns were turned in, were they handed to the Deputies via the "sideways Gangsta Style?" or the "Two handed I'm ignorant that this gun is loaded; shoulda aksed ma teen Crip/Blood 'bout it first style?"

$50 says most of them were:

muzzle first, loaded and off safe, or

in a brown paper bag, unused since the REAL owner left them last, or

fast, with a snatch and grab of the gift certificate, in case anyone actually DID check for a match to recent crimes.

Of course, any stolen ones will be returned to the lawful owner this week, right?

Right?

After all, 100% of guns stolen from law abiding citizens are registered with the police database, so when they show up they're easy to track...right?

Right?:banghead:

madmike
December 25, 2005, 02:52 PM
Anyone robbing homes in compton will be glad to know that they can enter her home unopposed.

Point made, but could you please edit and delete the address? In case someone writes a letter that is perceived or reported as "threatening" and comes back to haunt us?

I mean, even "People can now find you and know you are unarmed" would likely be read as, "I'm a deranged gun nut and I'm coming to kill you."

Thanks

Lupinus
December 25, 2005, 02:53 PM
I'm waiting for some little kid to take in his dads gun for a game boy. Actually I think I have already seen that, can't remember if it was an actual report or just a tv show though.

longeyes
December 25, 2005, 02:54 PM
Who are these people? Folks who like to be defenseless? Folks who are totally hard-up for money? Or recently retired criminals?

Insanity.

wolf
December 25, 2005, 03:39 PM
the population of compton is approx 95,000...the homicide rate this year is 70+..up from approx 40 last year..this is the 5th year the LA county sheriffs have policed compton...(latest homicide rate shows LA county once again to be over 500 this year(see my sig)..remember...70 of that is from compton alone!!!)
compton is an politically corrupt, mismanaged city with a chaotic school system and declining tax base..(what business would want to build there..only to get robbed on a constant basis)

i can understand the sheriffs attempt to calm fears and try to show they are "doing something" and the business community that would support futile "gifts for guns" campaigns..making it seem that perhaps if compton gets its act together...big business will grace them with jobs and build the city up

you could not pay me enough to live or work in a community that is totally out of control..and then try and disarm me..right.

perhaps the sheriff should turn policing compton over to the marines

wolf

antarti
December 25, 2005, 03:50 PM
Compton resident Ruther Daniels, 44, who turned in a .22-caliber handgun.

Who are these people? Folks who like to be defenseless? Folks who are totally hard-up for money? Or recently retired criminals?

Insanity.

I bet Ruthie just dumped a rusty .22 revolver some criminal ditched in one of her flowerpots, and has just used the $100 to order 3 Tripp Cobramags and another box of ammo for her 1911.

At least, thats what I would do...

carp killer
December 25, 2005, 04:01 PM
There was a picture taken by the Associated Press that went with the article. It shows a sheriff deputy holding a SKS that has a pistol grip stock. One of those evil high powered baby killin' machines.:uhoh:

armoredman
December 25, 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm in need of a new microwave oven. It won't be from Circuit City.
Ditto - the wife was the one who saw this article in the local rag, and proclaimed we no longer shop at Circuit City - Ralphs hasn't ralphed it's way out here yet.

Phaetos
December 25, 2005, 10:13 PM
Ruth Daniels
820 W Compton Blvd
Compton, CA 90220-2946
(310) 631-7774

The criminals aren't turning their guns in.

These programs only drive up the ratio of armed thugs to armed citizens

What they ought to be doing instead is taking guns that they've confiscated from criminals and hand them out at town hall meetings, senior centers, YWCA, etc.

Well for one thing, I don't know about "Ruth" Daniels, but the "Ruther Daniels" in the story doesn't have a .22 anymore. Try searching again :rolleyes:

bjbarron
December 25, 2005, 11:16 PM
where can I find a...what was it? Ah, here: "Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol."

I saw that one too. My wife wanted to know why I was yelling at the TV.

Heck, I've been saving a couple of old worthless clunkers for years hoping for a local buyout like that one....maybe to get enough money to buy something decent.

IndianaDean
December 26, 2005, 12:16 AM
Yeah, guy turns one in, hoping it will "cut down on crime." So is he a criminal, a hypocrite, or just stupid?

I think you nailed it with the last word of the question.

glockamolee
December 26, 2005, 12:48 AM
As for the Thompson that was turned in for $100.00... Ummm, would you like $300.00?? (out of state WASP asks the question) Of course, this is before the owner enters the area where the police are offering $100.00.

One can dream...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Spiggy
December 26, 2005, 01:20 AM
semiautomatic machine gun pistol.
I wonder what I'd get for turning in a full Rock'n'Roll sniper shotgun

Rezin
December 26, 2005, 01:51 AM
perhaps the sheriff should turn policing compton over to the marines
f

The Marines would assess the situation, formulate a plan and execute it, and it would solve the issue at hand.

But it wouldn't be PC.... Pity.

Sergeant Bob
December 26, 2005, 10:10 AM
Advertising the address of someone who chooses to turn in a gun, besides the fact you have no idea if the address posted is for the actual person (Ruth Daniels/Ruther Daniels) mentioned in the story, is just as despicable as advertising who has a CCW permit. They are not hurting you one iota by doing so.
In many states the names and addresses of CCW's are a matter of public record and I'm sure most here would be up in arms about those peoples addresses being publicized.
If you think it's all fine and dandy, I suggest you post your real name and address here instead of hiding behind a screen name and acting all self rightious when no one knows who you really are. :barf:

alan
December 27, 2005, 01:10 AM
Browsing through today's www.wnd.com, page 2 thereof, I came upon an AP piece by-lined Compton CA, headlined Gun Toters Surrender Weapons For Gifts.

The following passage is excerpted therefrom.
"During three consecutive Saturdays, sheriff's deputies amassed more than 250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol".

While I believe that possession of a "sawed-off shotgun" is a violation of long existing federal law, withergoest the BATFE re this, I'm really curious as to exactly or even approximately what a "semiautomatic machine gun pistol" might be, even in California, where some passing strange things are rumored to exist.

Red Dragon
December 27, 2005, 02:35 AM
Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol
Gotta love this gnorant anti-gun speak for the legal, semi-auto versions of guns that the media and movies portray as a guns used by only bad guys.

One more example of people who don't do research and know what they are talking about before they say or write something.

Moonclip
January 3, 2006, 08:43 PM
I actually went to this thing and wrote a post on it on the general gun discussion forum. I turned in a real POS Spanish pistol and I used the money I saved on groceries(Ralphs, owned by Kroger gift card) 2 buy two higher quality Spanish pistols;) Only one junk gun turned in per person unfortunately.

And I feel too guilty to turn in guns that actually sort of still work well so on New Years Eve I felt better I sold a 20 gauge bolt action shotgun from JC Higgins and I threw in a box of ammo to a family friend who is interested in going hunting and I even got him to sign up for hunter safety class.

I sold it for a $100 and I felt better he got it instead of it just getting melted down. The gun exchange had some real crap get turned in but someone actually did turn in a Mak 90 in ok shape. 99% of the guns I saw though were real rusty and junk, stuff like beat Marlin 60's and single shot shotguns like H&R topper types.

ArmedBear
January 3, 2006, 09:00 PM
None of you has ever heard of Compton?:cool:

wolf
January 5, 2006, 01:20 PM
None of you has ever heard of Compton?

It's a big shooting range in southern california...

wolf

Moonclip
January 6, 2006, 07:34 PM
The city of Compton actually does have an indoor shooting range. And plenty of "shooting galleries" too I'm sure for those that know what I'm talking about.

AF_INT1N0
January 7, 2006, 04:47 PM
What can you do...

Anyone who feels there personal safety worth less than or equal to a $100 gift card is probably right..:rolleyes:

But at least it wasn't for sneakers this time. :barf:

Spiggy
January 8, 2006, 03:37 AM
trade your gun for an expensive TV someone can rob you of...

kentucky_smith
January 5, 2010, 08:03 PM
Gah, wrong buy back...This past year's buyback netted these. Bwahaahaaa

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-12/51342018.jpg

Civilian assault-style rifles
(Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times / December 29, 2009)
Old, rusty civilian versions of military assault rifles are stacked up in a shopping cart. One man who declined to be interviewed or identified exchanged a cache of 58 handguns and rifles that netted him $5,800 worth of gift cards.

Art Eatman
January 5, 2010, 08:14 PM
Accidental necrothreadia oopsie.

If you enjoyed reading about "Calif City Swaps Gifts For Guns [merged threads]" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!