Texas and New Mexico Reciprocity

PDA

The_Shootist
December 25, 2005, 01:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought Texas and NM had CCW reciprocity as of Nov/05.

Its just that I wanted to visit Roswell in the spring and wanted to be prepared in case the truth is actually "out there" :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas and New Mexico Reciprocity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Azrael256
December 25, 2005, 04:21 AM
Yup. Last I checked, packing.org hadn't updated their map, but it is in the list at the bottom of the page. Just watch out for that whole "dispensing alcohol" thing. A convenience store selling cans of beer is the NM equivalent of a TX bar, and it's a 4th degree felony to mess with that. That goes for open or concealed. Also, NM is an open-carry state. I wouldn't fool with being in between (printing real bad through a tight shirt or something) as I don't know how it goes down in NM, but you're (legally) fine wearing your six-gun on your hip if you like.

SMLE
December 25, 2005, 04:47 AM
If you're browsing packing.org, go to the actual State CCW web pages for Tx and NM.
But to answer your post; Yes, NM now recognizes Tx's. CHL. Also, as Azrael256 said, we don't have a "51%" rule here so even package only stores are off limites to CCW

FWIW, I follow the "concealed means concealed" line of thought and take my chances. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. My $0.02, YMMV.

cowboybobb693
December 25, 2005, 05:10 PM
Does the "package store" mean places like 7-11's or just establishments that sell booze??

JerryM
December 25, 2005, 06:26 PM
Does the "package store" mean places like 7-11's or just establishments that sell booze??

It means them also if they sell any booze, which I think all do. It is a stupid intrepretation of the law, but I do not want to have to spend $100,000 on lawyers, and maybe lose to prove my case. We hope to get that changed, but for now do not go into any place where beer or any alcohol drink is sold. It is a 4th degree felony, so there goes your "right" to own firearms.

Jerry

Gunrnr
December 26, 2005, 01:23 AM
Yeah, it even goes so far as bowling alleys where they may sell beer, Pizza Hut or other such restaurants with beer & wine licenses, etc. I have been looking for any cases that have resulted from such "violations" but have yet to find any documented.

Meanwhile, FWIW, NM is still one of the best in the nation where the legal use of deadly force is concerned. In the 15+ yrs that I've been following it, I have yet to learn of a rightous shoot that resulted in criminal charges OR any significant civil judgements.

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas and New Mexico Reciprocity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!