Most severely-recoiling firearms

PDA

brekneb
December 26, 2005, 12:29 AM
Noob here. Got a question

Okay as far as felt-recoil goes (not the most powerful rounds in existence whether commercial or otherwise but firearms with the most punishing recoil.) What are you personally aware of that is out there?
As far as:
rifle
pistol
shotgun
(or any shoulder/hand fired weapon for that matter)

Again, not the purely most powerful-cartridge-in-the-world kind of thing but what the shooter experiences due to the fact that the recoil reduction systems incorporated into the firearm are ineffective and marginal at best (or WHATEVER cause might be due to the severe recoil.)

For instance; .500 S&W is the most powerful commercial production handgun cartridge period. And due to it's effective recoil dampening system it's reported recoil is lower than that of a typical revolver firing the .454 . . .
So what's out there? I'm a recoil junky and like it when I get the chance to shoot scary/insane recoiling monstrosities so I want to know. :D

Oh yeah and BTW, Iíve seen that t-rex clip. Looks real fake.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most severely-recoiling firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DF357
December 26, 2005, 12:32 AM
My 1903a3 Remington 30-06 is the worst kicker I have. My Mosins pale compared to it.

Erik Jensen
December 26, 2005, 12:33 AM
my 1904 Steyr-Mannlicher M95 has *got* to be up there. compounded by the fact that it's a straight-pull bolt action, so you're pulling the thing into your freshly tenderized shoulder to chamber another round. itty bitty carbine, full power cartridge.

dakotasin
December 26, 2005, 12:39 AM
the hardest kicking rifles i've ever shot have been savage 110's w/ wood stocks.

don't know if they changed anything when the accutrigger came out or not - the ones i have experience w/ were pre-accutrigger.

hardest kicking shotgun i've ever fired was any 12 gauge loaded w/ 3.5" turkey shot. another hard kicker shotgun i've handled was an old single-shot 20 gauge.

i have yet to shoot a pistol or revolver that really makes me sit up and take note, but i have not fired the new 460, yet.

Scottmkiv
December 26, 2005, 12:40 AM
The worst I've shot is 3" slugs out of an 870 with a stock much too short for me to be able to shoulder it well.

brekneb
December 26, 2005, 12:44 AM
Oh yeah and here's another thing:
If you were to break it down by category on the individual level of firearm actions
i.e; revolver, auto pistol, bolt action, lever action, pump action, etc, etc
What among the various types of actions/operation systems has the most recoil?
Again that you know of?
Thanks again.

grimjaw
December 26, 2005, 01:06 AM
The S&W 329PD .44 Magnum ought to be up there, although maybe not at the top. .357 Magnum out of a 21 oz snubbie was pretty brutal for me.

jmm

ZenMasterJG
December 26, 2005, 01:15 AM
my pump action Savage 16 ga. kicked like a mule. I go out and put 8 or 10 boxes through my Browning Auto-5, but my shoulder was starting to turn purple after a box through that gun.

Taurus 66
December 26, 2005, 01:52 AM
If you like recoil, you should shoot 700 NE. If you have false teeth, either take them out or double up on the Poly Grip prior to firing. You should also pad up your shoulder a bit.

nyresq
December 26, 2005, 02:22 AM
Full power 44 magnums from a 329PD is the nastiest recoil I ever felt... and yes, I have tried both the .500 and the .460 smiths.

29 oz total weight on the 39PD... it hurts with the wood grips, but the rubber hogue grips makes it bareable.....

One box of 50 rounds is my limit and the last 10-20 are spread a little wider then the first 30...

.416 rigby in a lightweight short barreled bolt action was the worst rifle I ever shot. I fired thre rounds and handed it back. never had any desire to fire one again.

4570Rick
December 26, 2005, 02:31 AM
Weatherby Vanguard in .378 Weatherby Magnum.

It's recoil is pure abuse.

ALASKACAJUN
December 26, 2005, 02:34 AM
It was not until after I purchased my .378 Weatherby that I read that it was the Recoil King.... I have to agree, I have shot a great many rounds and this one is the recoil master... as far as I'm concerned..... :uhoh:

- Clint

tonytulipz
December 26, 2005, 02:38 AM
Mauser 8mm and Savage 30.06

EZ CZ75
December 26, 2005, 05:01 AM
Browning A-bolt II in 300 WSM. That damn thing has scoped everybody that has shot it. Plus the first time at the range I couldn't even get 10 rounds through it. I also shoot a 300 RUM and a 338 RUM. My little 300 short outkicks both of them.

Matthew748
December 26, 2005, 06:28 AM
I biggest recoiler I have is a Marlin 1895G in 40-70 shooting hot, hand loaded 405 grain flat points. The combination of a lightweight rifle shooting heavy bullets at a pretty decent velocity all add up. Off hand it is not bad, but when you shoot off of a rest you really have to pay attention to proper form.

max popenker
December 26, 2005, 07:54 AM
It is all about mass of weapon / bullet impulse relation.
The most painful gun that i ever shot was a .300WinMag Merkel kipplaufflinte (single-shot break-open mountain rifle). It weighted about 6 or 7 pounds with scope, and my shoulder give me severe aches for three days - after just 2 shots.
OTOH, the .45-70 Marlin guide gun was quite pleasant;
the Mosin or Mauser rifles do have some kick but i think i can stand up that for at least 100 rounds ;) same about my 12 gause semiautomatic - it does have some push (especialy with 3" shells) but not painful.

as of pistols - the Makarov PM recoils less pleasantly than a 1911 or a 9mm Star, and Mauser C96 in 7.62 makes your palm sore rather quickly, but that because of the terrigbe "broomhandle" grip.

Hacker15E
December 26, 2005, 08:15 AM
Worst ones for me were a .454 Casull revolver and a Steyr Scout .376 rifle.

I was unable to shoot more than five of the Casull before my hand was numb, and less than a dozen shots in the Steyr before my shoulder hurt. The Steyr had about the sweetest trigger break I've ever seen, though.

El Tejon
December 26, 2005, 09:09 AM
IME, the .378 WM!:uhoh: Weapon I shot was far too light for such an evil round.

Have shot the .577 and an 8 bore, however did not rattle my teeth like the .378. Perhaps I was ready for the kick of such giants and not a "smaller" round like the .378. 85% of recoil (or perceived recoil) is in the mind.

Most surprising was a .505 Lott. Did not recoil as I anticipated. Very mild, but perhaps because the weapon was a "man-sized" rifle (heavy).

Firethorn
December 26, 2005, 09:32 AM
The worst I've shot is the .300 weatherby magnum, with a vanguard. Those of you shooting .378's :uhoh:

Scoob, generally speaking, the more powerful the round, the lighter the gun, the more powerful the recoil. Also, all things being equal, a semi-auto action will be perceived as lighter than a fixed action such as a boltie. Semi auto actions also tend to be heavier guns, so that helps soak some recoil. The action weight for single shots can get down right feather weight.

Words to worry about recoil for rounds/caliber: Mangum, Weatherby, Hot, etc...
Words to worry about for guns: featherweight, light, scout, mountain, etc...

It all ends up depending on your tolerance, though.

redbone
December 26, 2005, 09:44 AM
Agree with the 329PD .44: I've shot mine with Buffalo Bore loads that were quite lively. And, Buckhammer slugs out of a Mossy 500. My son tells me they have the same energy as a .375 H&H.

jtward01
December 26, 2005, 10:01 AM
When I was about 12 a friend of my uncle's thought it would be funny to have me shoot a 10 gauge goose gun with about a 32 inch barrel. Damned thing knocked me right out of the bass boat. Fixed him, though. My uncle and I got three nice mallards each that day (I was shooting my 20 gauge Browning Auto V) and the jerk got zero.

Silver Bullet
December 26, 2005, 10:07 AM
.357 Magnum out of a 21 oz snubbie was pretty brutal for me.
Me, too. Ruger SP101 with .357. The gun seemed to slam straight back into my palm instead of recoiling up. Great for staying on target, I guess, but I thought my hands were going to be bruised.

72Rover
December 26, 2005, 10:31 AM
The worst I've shot is 3" slugs out of an 870 with a stock much too short for me to be able to shoulder it well.

BTDT...got the t-shirt. 'cept in my case I was trying to sight in the rifle sights. Had sandbags to support the muzzle, but all the shooting benches at the range were in use. So I sighted it in. Prone. (What isn't too bad standing up sure was a PITA horizontal.) Yup, 3 was enough that day....:uhoh:

Cheers

kjeff50cal
December 26, 2005, 10:32 AM
An American Derringer chambered in .44mag or .45/70 (4" barreled howdah pistol anyone:evil: ) :what: . Waring shooting gloves they still felt like a grenade going off in your hand. Shooting 3" slugs or buckshot loads out of a 12ga. H&R/NEF Partner Single Shot :eek: . I'm not that recoil sensitive either, I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 I love and have had M-44/M-38s in the past (thinking about getting a 91/59 or a Finn). Shot a Desert Eagle in .50 AE, very nice pistol but almost as heavy as a NEF shotgun(maybe heavier). The owner of said pistol had a flinch so bad he looked like he ducked at his own shot!!!

kjeff50cal

one-shot-one
December 26, 2005, 10:39 AM
worst i've shot:
mossberg 12ga. pump with thin folding stock and 3" slugs. actually started to bring tears to my eyes after about 6 shots, old guy next to me was grinning his butt off watching me.
marlin guide gun lever action 45-70 with bufflo bore ammo off the bench (not as bad as the folding stock 12ga but really keeps your attention)plain rem./winchester ammo was very pleasent by compersion.
worst i've seen shot:
.577 trex., never seen a gun droped by so many different shooters.

dfaugh
December 26, 2005, 10:54 AM
These may not be the overall worst, but fo rme personally:

Mosin-Nagant (Polish) M-44-that steel buttplate is just wicked, and the gun is relatively light

Mossberg 500A w/ folding stock, shooting S&B 15 pellet 00 3" magnum buckshot--I have no desire to even shoot anything that has a felt recoil more that this...

Note that I seperated my right shoulder a few years ago, and am probably more recoil sensative than most.

Highland Ranger
December 26, 2005, 11:00 AM
Another vote for the 329pd.

jim collins
December 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
OK, it wasn't shoulder fired, but back in my CAV days at gunnery, we fired a 152mm round out of a Sheridan...the TC was bracing against the TC's shield on top of the turret, daggone thing broke and fell over onto the back deck. The TC wasn't nearly amused as we were on the next Sheridan watching!

cxm
December 26, 2005, 11:03 AM
Not personal experience...but personal observation...

I attened a two day shotgun course at one of the major schools not long ago.

At the end of day one I was tired...but not beat up too bad... I used Wilson rebuilds of 870s to their Border Patrol model... worked fine and with light field loads nad reduced recoil buck shot all was well...

At the other end of the line, a guy and his son were taking the class... no shotgun experience at all... they stopped in at a local Oshman's or Academy and bought themselves each an Winchester of the latest mark and mod. They were the newest guns that were chambered for the 3 1/2 Mag shell.

After buying the guns they also bought their 700 rounds of ammo... ALL 3 1/2" magnum loads...

These guys were HURTING... and were unable to finish the slug portion of the course... :/

Anyway, I learned a couple of lessons there... and I suppose they did too... :D

V/r

Chuck

280PLUS
December 26, 2005, 11:11 AM
I'll vote for the S&W 340 models with a nice hot load. .357 x 12 oz. Snappy, very snappy...

grizz5675
December 26, 2005, 11:16 AM
most recoil that ive shot, rifle- marlin 45-70 gs handgun-taurus 44 mag shotgun norinco 12 gauge.

Oldnamvet
December 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
My T/C Contender with a 45/70 barrel. First time fired (handloads, not wimpy factory stuff) from the bench, the recoil took all the skin off both elbows and left a couple splinters. After that I put on my roller blade elbow protectors before firing. After about 50 rounds, I had enough. It was accurate but no fun. Sold it on Ebay for more than I paid for it.

VinnyT
December 26, 2005, 12:48 PM
From my experience:

Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag with UMC(Yellow box) ammo
Rossi .357 mag with 4" bbl
Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull (More punch than muzzle flip)
Russian Nagant 7.62x54
Norinco 12ga, 18" bbl with full house loads

bigun15
December 26, 2005, 01:23 PM
The worst I've ever experienced was a 12 gauge single-shot. That hurt like a mother.

trueblue1776
December 26, 2005, 01:31 PM
Mossy 835 pistol grip, with full power 3-1/2's
Flew out of my hand and into the dirt. :o
I talk about retarded, but THAT was retarded!

-C4-
December 26, 2005, 01:50 PM
Either the 10 gauge shotgun or the .50 BMG rifle.

rustymaggot
December 26, 2005, 01:56 PM
my buddy had this cheap piece of junk 9mm that for some reason kicked worse than anything ive ever fired. including when i one handed my mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and fired 00 buck magnum loads. i donno what that stupid little thing was but i absolutely could not finish the clip. it wasnt +p ammo either, just regular cheepo ammo. that thing kicked worlds worse than my other buddies 44 magnum with what he called keith loads. whatever those are.

lysander
December 26, 2005, 02:15 PM
Hot handloads in a .45-70 NEF Handi Rifle wasn't fun....

Nor are hot 7.62X54R handloads in an old Mosin...

Worst I have had a chance to get behind was a Ruger #1 in .458 WinMag. Hard to split a box of 20 handloads between two shooters.

PCGS65
December 26, 2005, 02:15 PM
As far as hand guns go. Me and my brother were at the range about 10 days ago with his S&W 500 Magnum. Now I've never shot the 454 casull ect. But after 50+ 350 gr. hand loaded rounds in the 500 mag my wrists were sore and the next day my elbows were sore. I thought about going to the doctor but I realized it was from the 500 and in two days I was fine. Oh yea always where hearing protection that thing is a portable cannon.
Shotguns 3.5" 12ga. turkey loads.
Not much expierience with rifles.
Good topic.

Gunpacker
December 26, 2005, 02:37 PM
Lol, there are a couple that stick in my mind. My Granddad's 12 ga. double that I shot both barrels at once with duck loads, while shooting straight up at blackbirds flying past. However for sheer brute force, the Shiloh Quigley copy in 45-110 shooting 500 gr. bullets at max load. It was a bit different than the sharp kick of the military carbines, but with far more force. The arthritis in my neck was really complaining and that never happens with most guns. The gun weighed about 13 lbs, and when it got moving, it didn't stop easily. A real interesting experience, and one that left a memory. 5 shot 2 in group was an eye opener too. I can't afford one, but it sure was a nice gun.

erik the bold
December 26, 2005, 02:43 PM
Mossy 835 pistol grip, with full power 3-1/2's

+1 on that.......

My worst was a Mossy 835 with Lightfield 3-1/2" Magnum IDS slugs. Two shots left a bruise for a week. Went back to the 2-3/4" Hyper-EXP's

Working Man
December 26, 2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.break.com/index/abiggun1.html

Any idea what it is?

VinnyT
December 26, 2005, 04:25 PM
If I remember it was a 475 H&H in that vid.

I am wrong. It is the .577 T-Rex. Quite brutal!!

dillonuser
December 26, 2005, 04:42 PM
My T/C Contender with a 45/70 barrel. First time fired (handloads, not wimpy factory stuff) from the bench, the recoil took all the skin off both elbows and left a couple splinters. After that I put on my roller blade elbow protectors before firing. After about 50 rounds, I had enough. It was accurate but no fun. Sold it on Ebay for more than I paid for it.

Got one. It rates way up there on my "pain to shoot" list. The problem I found is that if you load "light",the accuracy drops. I haven't shot this one for a few years.When I do it is only 10-20 rounds.

This one rates the worst recoil.

The runner up is my FA 454.

Detritus
December 26, 2005, 04:51 PM
If I remember it was a 475 H&H in that vid.

nope .577(? not sure of caliber) T-rex, the guys over at accurate reloading get a few suckers a month to try that thing out, or at least used to, idea was to make an absolutely SURE one-shot needed stopping rifle.

there is one vid on their site that shows a guy shooting it benched and if you watch closely the dude actually gets knocked out for a split second (wakes when his chin or nose touch someting on the bench).

VinnyT
December 26, 2005, 04:56 PM
Yes, I did correct my post. It is the 577 T-Rex. Found this video too. It is a guy shooting a 700 Nitro Express. :eek:
http://www.ferlachguns.com/mm/megavideo.htm

trueblue1776
December 26, 2005, 05:08 PM
I've bought complete working firearms for less than what a single round of .700 NE goes for.

natehunts
December 26, 2005, 05:09 PM
The most punishing gun I've shot would have to be either the 460 Weatherby or pre-USA 378 Weatherby without any type of reducer on either.

smokemaker
December 26, 2005, 05:09 PM
My buddy has a H&R Topper with an 18" rifled 12 gauge bbl. He is a little recoil shy (thinks his 7mm-08 kicks alot) SO he has me shoot it... with 3" buckhammers. 2 shots and I told him to give it back to wherever he got it from. I've shot .416's and .458's, and nothing came close to that aweful gun. Tried it later in the year with 2 3/4" lightfields, and said the same thing. I won't shoot it anymore for fear of detached retina's.

My Ithaca 87 with the rifled barrel and EER scope kicks awful bad. Enough that my dad nicknamed it the widowmaker.

Also, my father has a Browning 1886 with a 28" octagon barrel and the dreaded crescent buttplate. That gun with 420 grain hardcast hopped up handloads just plain hurts. Same load in his 1886 extralight rifle is quite substantial, but manageable, due to the shotgun buttplate.

A correctly fitted gun makes all the difference in the world.

I shot a cylinder full of .454's out of a Freedom Arms once, and won't do that again.

The grandaddy of recoilers had to be the 2 bore rifle Sir Samuel Baker had...Ironically named baby. Each shot would spin him around, give him a nosebleed, and a headache.

jsalcedo
December 26, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hot handloads in a .45-70 NEF Handi Rifle wasn't fun....

Me too except mine were the Winchester super X 350 grain hunting loads.

I could actually feel my brain sloshing around after each shot.

SamlautRanger
December 26, 2005, 06:18 PM
Firing 375 h and h magnums (300 gr.) from the bench. Brutal.

This thread just goes to show that a lot of people buy more gun than they need and then can't shoot well with cause of the recoil. Shooting 300 grs. in my 45-70 or shooting 12 ga birdshot if I am shooting any length of time is about my tolerance level.

Has anyone tried the Edwards Recoil Reducer in their rifle or shotgun? How exactly does it work?

22-rimfire
December 26, 2005, 06:23 PM
You ought to try a 460 Weatherby Magnum if you are a recoil junkie.

McCall911
December 26, 2005, 06:30 PM
Some years back, I found the .30-06 in a light, Mannlicher-style carbine to be punishing on my shoulder, and that was shooting only 150-grain bullets. Too bad because the rifle, a Sauer, was truly a beauty and the action was smooth as silk!

g-nome
December 26, 2005, 06:42 PM
I won't shoot it anymore for fear of detached retina's.
hah yeah I wonder about that (with any punishing guns that is) :D
Words to worry about recoil for rounds/caliber: Mangum, Weatherby, Hot, etc...
Words to worry about for guns: featherweight, light, scout, mountain, etc...
He he he . . . :evil:
It is all about mass of weapon / bullet impulse relation.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense.
This thread just goes to show that a lot of people buy more gun than they need and then can't shoot well with cause of the recoil.
. . . . . Yeah. But for my case I just want to try to see how much I can shoot/tolerate in a single string of firing xxx weapon xxx weapon etc. Plus I wants to try shooting two .454 Ruger Red Hawks simultaneously. So Iím PURPOSELY seeking out "Severely-Recoiling Firearms" (or SRF) :D purely for that reason--Just for the recoil. Not to, you know, shoot correctly or anything.
I am however worried about developing a flinch even with minimal exposure to such recoil. :eek:

Harry Paget Flashman
December 26, 2005, 06:49 PM
About 30 years ago I loaded up some .47-70's with a full case of IMR-3031 (about 51 gr IIRC) and 500gr lead bullets. Loaded into an H&R Shikari single shot the rifle was close to being a pipe bomb and kicked horribly. Shortly after that while on emergency leave my car was broken into and all that hot .45-70 and several hundred .38 Spcl that I'd loaded up to .357 specs for my Ruger Security-six were stolen. I am sure somebody got a kick out of that.

stevelyn
December 26, 2005, 07:56 PM
In my experiences, I never found a .338 Win. Mag. that didn't hurt. I think the recoil of a .375 H&H is much softer. The other hard recoiler I didn't care for is a .454 Casull in a Freedom Arms revolver. I much prefer a .45 Colt loaded to potential.

Although the .300 Weatherby is the only Weatherby caliber I've ever fired, the recoil is pretty tolerable. I would imagine anything larger would become intolerable pretty quick........as would anything with Lazzeroni or Dakota stamped on it.:eek:

jrpeterman
December 26, 2005, 11:40 PM
Shotguns

Most painful to shoot were the single shot Stevens and H&Rs. Both kicked like mules and made my teeth rattle. The most painful round out of my Mossberg 500 was a 3in. turkey load that a so called "friend" said go ahead and shoot it. I did not thinking anything about it. It hurt so bad that I had to set the gun down while my friends were rolling on the ground laughing. I had a purple stain that ran from my shoulder, down 4 inches along the rib cage from the armpit, and on the inside of my right bicep to the elbow. My wife saw it when I got home and wondered what did I do to myself.

Rifle

The most recoil from any rifle that I've shot was a Number Three Ruger in 45/70. It was a friend's gun with two loads. The 300 grain bullet loads weren't horrible, but I really had to brace myself for the 500 grain loads that he had. Felt like the push of a 12 gauge mag combined with the snap of a 30.06 bolt rifle.

Handgun

The most painful was shooting some hot 300 gr., 44 mag. handloads some friends were going to use boar hunting. Shot them out of the one friend's Colt Anaconda, and they were bearable. Shot them out of the other friend's 5 in. Ruger Redhawk, and the rubber grips tore the skin off the webbing of my right hand from the recoil. These were the same guys by the way that had the 3 in. turkey load.

Needless to say, I don't own a rifle chambered for anything more than a 30.06; I won't shoot anything bigger than 2 3/4 in. 00 buck or slugs out of a 12 ga. pump; I'm not a 44 mag recoil fan, so I'll stick with my .357 magnum whimp revolvers. Call me a chicken, but I think that I'm older and wiser.

Mot45acp
December 26, 2005, 11:53 PM
I have an Arminius single action .44 (only $100) I can shoot one handed, but no matter how I hold it, trigger guard always racks my middle nuckle on my middle finger. It starts out as a lil scrape and grows till my SO asks who I got in a fight with.

jtward01
December 26, 2005, 11:53 PM
Shortly after that while on emergency leave my car was broken into and all that hot .45-70 and several hundred .38 Spcl that I'd loaded up to .357 specs for my Ruger Security-six were stolen. I am sure somebody got a kick out of that.

Years ago I worked for the ambulance service in Auburndale, Florida. We shared space in the same building as the police and fire department. The PD officers could carry .357 revolvers, but only .38 Spl. ammo. I started loading .38 cases to .357 pressures for several of the officers. My partner on the ambulance was also a shooter and we'd often take the ambulance and go to the range during quiet times. A friend of his was a security guard/wannabe LEO and one day he stopped by just as we were leaving to go to the range. Naturally, he wanted to go along. What I didn't realize was that he helped himself to a pocketful of the hot loaded .38s.

We got to the range and I was shooting my Model 27 S&W, my partner was shooting his M1 carbine, and the wannabe had his company-issued RG revolver. Yep. An RG. Cheap company, I guess.

Anyway, we'd been shooting just a couple minutes and this guy couldn't hit squat with the RG. Finally, I asked him to let me try it. On the second round the gun made a strange sound and kicked down instead of up. When I looked at it the top strap and top half of the cylinder were completely gone and there was a cylinder-sized hole in the corrigated tin roof over the firing line. The damned RG had blown up in my hand 'cause the jerk had loaded it with the hot .38s. I was really lucky I didn't get hurt.

I can only hope the dirtbag who stole your ammo has a similar experience.

hillbilly
December 26, 2005, 11:55 PM
I have shot many different types of rifles.

The single most painful for me was a .308 Ishapore Enfield that had been cut down into a fake jungle carbine.

The subsequently light rifle featured a relatively small, narrow, STEEL buttplate.

I could never finish a full 12-round box magazine out of it without the fingers on my right hand going numb.

That's how sharp the recoil was, and that was even with proper form.

It was simply brutal.

The same rifle now wears a synthetic stock with a rubber buttpad.

Even though that stock is even lighter than the chopped wooden stock, the contour and rubber material of the new buttpad make all the difference in the world.

I can shoot that rifle all day now.

But before....yikes......

hillbilly

Lummox
December 27, 2005, 12:20 AM
.577 T-Rex

750gr @ 2000fps

Stevie-Ray
December 27, 2005, 01:13 AM
For me it's my T/C Contender Super 16 in .45-70, shooting 300 gr Remingtons. Absolutely no fun at all. Between the .45 bore taking most of the weight out of the barrel coupled with the fact that the Contender's single shot design blows every bit of energy out the muzzle, this gun is a recoil-lovers dream. It's my nightmare. Magnaporting didn't even help much. I shot 305 gr Barnes loads out of my Redhawk. They were much more pleasant than the T/C.

As far as rifles go, I haven't shot anything bigger than .375 H&H mag, but it wasn't fun either. Probably a .50 BMG in a bolt gun like a McMillan would be eventful. 750 gr at 2700 fps, maybe?

Strings
December 27, 2005, 01:31 AM
odd as it may seem, the worst recoil I've ever felt in a pistol was in a mousegun: my .32 Seecamp. .44s don't bother me, .357s are minor, .45s I'll shoot all day long. But that tiny lil' .32 is just plain painful to shoot. And you can forget about trying to hit anything with it: no sights...

pete f
December 27, 2005, 01:37 AM
For me, I can tell you it is all about gun fit.

I have shot 458 lotts and 338/460 mag weatherbys and felt fine. But the guns were properly stocked and fit me well. I have to say the worst Rifle i have shot is a friends 338 win mag merkel SXS double rifle. Usually i do not care for a 338 as they tend to be a sharp recoil with a heavy bullet in a sporter weight rifle. This double rifle just eats me up, my cheek hurts and eyes water every time I have shot it.

second worst was a model 95 winchester in 405 win. not a brutal caliber, but in a rifle with lots of drop in the stock and a steel crescent butt plate OUCH>

Worst handgun was one I carried a lot, a old style flat top 44 mag ruger, but once i tried it with some 330 grain lead loads. just too much.

loaded with 240 or 265 grainers, it was nice to shoot, but them heavy-weight 330 grainers felt like mules kicks with every shot.

Jbar4Ranch
December 27, 2005, 01:38 AM
I have a .475 Linebaugh based on a Ruger Bisley frame that is easily the worst handgun I've ever fired. Far worse than hot .480's, .454's, or S&W .500's, and I've shot everything from 275 grain Barnes bullets @ 2200 fps to a 710 grain cast WFN GC @ 1200+ fps out of my .500's.

RON in PA
December 27, 2005, 02:16 AM
12 gauge Brenneke slug. Oh my!

rem870
December 27, 2005, 03:53 AM
The worst recoiling rifle I have fired would have to be my 98k. It is no problem standing up, but when I lay down to shoot it, it kicks the ***** out of me.

Cosmoline
December 27, 2005, 04:38 AM
The nastiest recoiling handgun I've used was the first-issue Ruger SRH Casull, back before they improved the grips on the thing. With the heavy loads recoil was intensely painful. It hurt not only my wrists, but banged my middle finger so hard it was bruised for days after the range. That thing was just nasty.

Rifle-wise, the Austro-Hungarian M-95 straight pull carbine was pretty intense! The 8x50R is one of the most powerful of WWII, reaching up to 3,000 ft. lbs. with heavy bullets. Ouch! Powerhouse .45-70 loads out of an 1895G are also pretty stiff.

Shotgun-wise, the most intense recoil I've felt was firing magnum Brenneke slugs out of a little Ithaca '37.

loose cannon
December 27, 2005, 07:40 AM
pistol;american deringer 45lc/410ga 16 rds of 2.5"no4's and i couldnt write the next morning.thing didnt patern worth a log either.

rifle;.416 hoffman in a dakota lh action with tapered hexagon barrel.2 rounds and i figured it was enough.

10ga new england single shot turkey gun again 2 rounds 3.5"no4's and i was "educated"

Combat-wombat
December 27, 2005, 07:53 AM
NEF 10 ga. is the worst I've ever shot.

71Commander
December 27, 2005, 08:24 AM
Look at some of these

http://bsg-dornier.de/schiessen/

These are especially good

http://bsg-dornier.de/schiessen/jokes/filme/30.mpg
http://bsg-dornier.de/schiessen/jokes/filme/ibrahim.mpg

And the best of the bunch

http://bsg-dornier.de/schiessen/jokes/filme/40.mpg

HankB
December 27, 2005, 08:38 AM
Hmmm . . . in handguns, my S&W 340SC is pretty nasty with full-power loads, as is my old-style Thompson/Center Contender with the skinny octagon .44 Magnum barrel and the racy wooden original grips. And I'm not really fond of shooting single action revolvers in serious calibers, as thanks to the high bore line the d@mn grips slide around my middle finger which acts as a fulcrum.

Rifles . . . well, my .375 H&H, though it's far from being the worst, made itself unpleasant during more than one range session when seated at the bench doing load development. I had it Mag-Na-Ported and that made the difference between being able to shoot a couple of boxes off the bench and not being able to. (There's a reason why the Brit makers of large bore express rifles regulated their guns from a STANDING rest!)

VirgilCaine
December 27, 2005, 09:05 AM
Me too except mine were the Winchester super X 350 grain hunting loads.

I could actually feel my brain sloshing around after each shot.

Ow.

Gimme.50
December 27, 2005, 10:24 AM
I have a Ruger SuperRedhawk in .454 Casull that's a beast when loaded with 300+ gr .454 rounds. It's actually quite tame with the .45 LCs. Ruger is making an Alaskan "snubbie" version in .454 now, bet it's a kicker! I also have a S&W 629 in .44 Mag and it isn't nearly as brutal as the .454. I've never fired one, but a Springfield Trap-Door gun in .45-70 has to be a bruiser. The ultimate winner in this category must be the Maadi-Griffin and Thunder .50 pistols in .50 BMG (that's right, the 700+ grain rifle round, not the AE pistol round) . Again, never shot one, and have no desire to. Well, okay, maybe once...:D

Gatorjaw
December 27, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hardest kicking gun I ever shot was a 12 ga.Mossburg 500 pump, short, smooth bore barrel. My dad wanted me to sight in a scope on this gun for him with 3 inch slugs. I dont remember the brand ammo but WOW! I use to work at an hunting shop in the early 90's where we would site in customers guns at our range and the only thing I can remember that come close to the mossburg was a friends Remington 300 magnum. I shot 15 rounds and honestly, I should have quit after #10 or #11 because the shots were going everywhere on the target at 50 yards. My shoulder was black and blue for a week. To this day I still tell people that was the badest gun I have ever shot. It was pure brutal.

W Turner
December 27, 2005, 12:35 PM
Shotgun- Remington 870 3.5" mag loaded with 3.5" slug load. Made my eyes water. I shot it twice, once because I didn't know any better and once more to convince myself it really was that bad. The only shotgun/load combo that I just can't manage.

Rifle- Synthetic stocked Savage 110 in .30-06. Must have been the fit of the stock, but from a rest, this is one of the most unpleasant shooting guns I have ever seen. In a Garand I love the .30-06, but not in a bolt gun.

Pistol- Most painful is easily a Kel-Tec P40. A friend of mine bought one. I put one mag through and gave it back. Maybe it was the combo of my big hands and that little grip, but it actually hurt to shoot.Honorable mention goes to the Glock 23. Not sure why, but that one is painful for me to shoot as well. The Glock 19 doesn't faze me though. Still waiting to shoot a 329 PD. I REALLY want one though.

W

sm
December 27, 2005, 12:58 PM
I do not remember what is was.

I was doing okay, until the stock broke...I can still remember the "crackle" and the "crack" making its way down the stock to my shoulder.

I used them bad words I had learned from a Mentor&Elder, okay I kept repeating these words. I kept the gun safe, opened the bolt and made safe, set the gun down with muzzle downrange. Then I did this dance with a lot more of these bad words.

Well, I had one helluva a bruise. Matched my OMT - I was on my way for sure on this being a shooter bit.

Did you know Vets take X-rays? I didn't know that at the time. I went to the Vet to get a X-ray, seems he was closer and a relative of the person whom gun I fired and broke. Vets do not have candy, or Cokes...I got some dog treats just the same.

Kinda put a damper on my shooting. I could shoot .22 handguns and play with the dogs and give them the treats. New Stock on that gun later and me healed I shot it some more. "Wanna make sure you don't get a flinch or something from that experience".

I wanna say it something in '06, some kind of old Military Gun. I was about 8 or 9 at the time.

smokemaker
December 27, 2005, 05:43 PM
second worst was a model 95 winchester in 405 win. not a brutal caliber, but in a rifle with lots of drop in the stock and a steel crescent butt plate OUCH>

I found the 1895 in .405 WCF not too bad, shooting hornady factory stuff.
I forgot my T/C Firehawk in .58. 6 pound rifle, 560 grain Maxi-ball, 120 grains Pyrodex RS, hard rubber buttplate. That gun gets your attention. I shoot it with 80 grains most of the time nowadays.

TheDutchman
December 27, 2005, 08:15 PM
A CZ chambered in 375 H&H, WOW

Billll
December 27, 2005, 10:11 PM
Pistol: T/C in .309 JDJ. My elbow hurt for a week from 1 shot.
Rifle: homebuilt 2-bore. 1/2 lb lead ball, and 300gr of ffg. But I'm a wimp. I understand the previous owner used it to hunt moose with 500 gr of ffg in it.

Larry Ashcraft
December 27, 2005, 10:16 PM
Pistol: T/C in .309 JDJ. My elbow hurt for a week from 1 shot.
Rifle: homebuilt 2-bore. 1/2 lb lead ball, and 300gr of ffg. But I'm a wimp. I understand the previous owner used it to hunt moose with 500 gr of ffg in it.
Please don't get Billll started. :D

But the .309(Labgrade's gun?)? Pussycat, really.

Rpriestlyjr
December 28, 2005, 11:27 AM
I've got to go with the .38-378 Weatherby Mag. A big, lumberjack looking guy at the range had one. He fired a few rounds and dared me to take a poke with it. I did once:eek: , packed up my stuff and went home. Way too much, and I think worse than the .458 Win., and definitely worse than my Mag10.
Although, as a kid, my dad's ithaca M37 20 ga. featherlight would always do a number on me, as did all of the singleshots in 20 and 12 ga.

hairtrigger25
January 5, 2006, 12:35 AM
Browning A-bolt II in 300 WSM. That damn thing has scoped everybody that has shot it. Plus the first time at the range I couldn't even get 10 rounds through it. I also shoot a 300 RUM and a 338 RUM. My little 300 short outkicks both of them.

I put a limbsaver recoil pad on mine, and now it is a pleasure to shoot. I have an Encore 7mm-08 that will out kick it. The worst kicking gun I have in my safe is a Ruger M-77 with a wood stock. It is a beast.

jtward01
January 5, 2006, 03:44 AM
Hmmm . . . in handguns, my S&W 340SC is pretty nasty with full-power loads, as is my old-style Thompson/Center Contender with the skinny octagon .44 Magnum barrel and the racy wooden original grips. And I'm not really fond of shooting single action revolvers in serious calibers, as thanks to the high bore line the d@mn grips slide around my middle finger which acts as a fulcrum.

The Colt SAA style grips are supposed to rotate in your hand. This lessens the felt recoil and also positions the hammer to be cocked for the next shot. The Bisley grip shape was meant to reduce the rotation, but then they had to lower the hammer spur so the shooter could reach it without shifting has hand position. You may find you would prefer shooting a Bisley style single action better than the tradional SAA style gun.

The most difficult to shoot gun I've ever handled was the little NAA single action in .22 Magnum. First, the sights are almost non-existent, and that little grip only has room for two fingers. Talk about jumping around in your hand! It's like trying to hold onto a snake. It's not painful, just difficult. A guy at the range had one and he couldn't hit an 8x10 sheet of paper at 10 yards. I tried it and was able to keep four of five on the paper, but the spread was a good five inches.

brekneb
January 5, 2006, 04:36 AM
Whoah, this thing is still going. I figured it would receive marginal attention at best. :what:

THANKS everyone!

critter
January 5, 2006, 08:17 AM
dakotasin got it for me! The Mossy 12 ga pump in 3.5" mag with full power lead turkey loads. That combo was the baddest kicking firearm I ever pulled the trigger on. It punched heck out of my shoulder AND tried to tear the side of my head clean off! Left me teary eyed!

AND I have fired several heavy kickers: S&W .500, .454's, some of the Linebaug magnums, Ruger #1 loads in 45-70, .300 mags, etc. No .458's, .460s, etc though.

Taurus 617 CCW
January 5, 2006, 08:57 AM
700 Nitro Express and a .338 Winchester Ultra Magnum.

captainkirk
January 5, 2006, 11:04 AM
I saw a Ruger #3 at a gun show once that had originally been 375 winchester that had been rechambered to 375 H&H!(so the tag and dealer said) - no recoil pad, light contour barrel. It must have been a beast. I didn't see any takers on that one...:rolleyes:

captainkirk

cracked butt
January 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
3.5" 12 guage turkey load
.458 winchester magnum

Its a tossup to me as to which kicked more, though I'd give the edge to the 12 guage.

Mk VII
January 5, 2006, 01:43 PM
Boys a/t rifle converted to .50 BMG with no muzzle brake. Definitely too much gun. The original, on the other hand, was tolerable, though producing a great sheet of flame

kentucky_smith
January 5, 2006, 02:24 PM
I have a featherweight m70 in .280 that's a pleasure to shoot, course, it's got a BOSS:neener:
Was at the range one day, moron with 4 kids is there shooting in the next stall. Course, none of them are wearing hearing protection. I shoot off one round, check scope and hear "Daddy, what is he shooting?!?!" I think it's some kind of magnum" Did I mention that it's very loud, but has no kick! :grin: I waited for them to leave before I shot it some more.

Worst thing I ever shot was a 10ga in NEF with No 4 turkey loads.

BuddyOne
January 5, 2006, 02:48 PM
Another vote for the 329pd.

Me too, and I'm no small guy...

Buddy

brekneb
January 8, 2006, 06:50 AM
This post turned out to be a little more in-depth than I initially believed it would.

Thanks again.

only1asterisk
January 8, 2006, 07:26 AM
I shot a cylinder full of .454's out of a Freedom Arms once, and won't do that again.

That sums up my experience and current feelings well. I draw the line at full-power 44 Mag or equivalent 45 Colt loads.

In a rifle, it has to be a 416 Weatherby without a muzzlebrake. I had a newfound respect for the owner afterwards. I think my limit is my 458 Lott but that gets tiresome after half dozen rounds or so.

David

JBadgley
April 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
Prone shoot a .375 H&H a few times and tell me how that feels (Ouch!!!!!)

sansone
April 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
watched someone shoot a 44mag deringer.. one shot, he left the range, fresh blood had to be cleaned off the bench:what:

cbsbyte
April 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
The most severe recoiling firearm I have shot is a WWII K98K in 8 Mauser with the metal buttplate using surplus ammo. After five rounds I couldn't feel my shoulder. It also left a nice black and blue mark. Regular commerical bought ammo helps reduce the recoil, but the metal buttplate is unforgiving.

sb350hp
April 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
My model 700 mtn rifle (6lbs) 30-06 makes you take notice for a -06.

The worst I witnessed was my friends 458 win mag. He offered me a chance to shoot it but after watching him. NO WAY. I am 5-10 and 170 he is 6 + and about 325. I am quite certian had I shot it that day I would still be walking back to the place I pulled the trigger from.

He took a step back, I would have probably done a backflip.

ZeSpectre
April 9, 2007, 02:45 PM
Pistol - Desert Eagle .50 AE (it punished my wrist)

Rifle - Sharps in .50-70 (didn't help that I was totally unprepared to shoot)

Shotgun - Mossberg 195 bolt action, missing shoulder pad, shooting Magnum goose load... OUCH!

Afy
April 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
Worst ever I shot... a 4 GA shotgun. Dont want that experience again.

The 416 Rigby, 500 H&H are up there too.

My current personal recoil devil is the 300 Win Mag which I try and shoot accurately in lots of 30-40 shots. Followed by the 98K chambered for 8x64S.

ARTiger
April 9, 2007, 03:18 PM
Shotgun: Browning BPS 10 Gauge 3 1/2" Magnum w/ 2 oz of T shot. Shoot a few of these and your whole shoulder and top 1/4 upper chest on your shooting side will be decorated in varying shades of purple.

CNYCacher
April 9, 2007, 03:24 PM
.577 Tyrannosaurus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3Bv_CiydA)

That pretty much covers it

Speer
April 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
Jesus! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Kimber1911_06238
April 9, 2007, 06:47 PM
browning 1885 high wall with 405 grain soft points. there is a metal butt plate, no recoil pad.

Turkey Creek
April 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
The only rifle I've got that requires a shoulder pad to shoot is a 45-70 trapdoor carbine- The 45-120 sharps should recoil harder but the "Big Dog" has such mass that it's a pleasure to shoot- That carbine kicks like a mule and is a beast!

Pappy John
April 9, 2007, 07:22 PM
The worst I've owned was a Ruger #1 in .45-70.

You know, the ones that they write a whole 'nother table for in the .45-70 sections of re-loading manuals.

Well yeah, I had to load them that hot.....'cause the book said I could.:scrutiny:

It's a wonder I didn't shake all my teeth loose with that gun.:eek:

Impala
April 9, 2007, 07:29 PM
My Remington 7400 30-06 autoloader is actually a light kicker, kudos to remington for designing the gas system on it. It gives more of a push than a kick and I can easily fire 30-40 rounds per range session without any adverse effects. I think the hardest kick I've ever felt was a SxS coach gun with 18" barrels firing 3" magnum buck, I suppose this could be compared to elephant gun recoil in some regards. Very unpleasant thinking back on it :uhoh:

tmorg
April 9, 2007, 09:50 PM
This is my heavyist recoiling handgun.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/tmorg/5-4.jpg

EricTheBarbarian
April 9, 2007, 09:53 PM
bushmaster 155mm howitzer carbine.

doubleg
April 9, 2007, 10:04 PM
The hardest recoiling gun I have ever shot was a Tikka 338 Win Mag loaded extra hot. My uncle bought it to hunt elk and bear with in Canada. Thats the last time I sight in a rifle for anyone other than myself. :uhoh:

MDHunter
April 9, 2007, 10:43 PM
Doubleleg -

A couple of years back I was in the market for a .338 before moose/bear hunt in Alaska. Had heard the Tikka was a good rifle, so went to check one out at Gander Mountain....

Picked one up, handed it back to the guy and said "No thanks." That things is TOO light to shoot the .338 WinMag load comfortably!

Settled on the Ruger M77 SS, it kicks pretty well but can shoot 30-40 rounds at the range with a recoil pad and from hunting (not prone) positions.

Michael

Springfield_1911SS
April 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
I have not shot that many different guns so I know that these will soon change

Handgun: .357mag ruger(im going to rent an S&W 500 soon)
Rifle: M1917 .30-06 Sporty
Shot gun: 12GA w/ 3"mag turkey loads (my dad just got a Moss. 835 w/3.5", i will try that too)

ken grant
April 9, 2007, 10:57 PM
#1---.50 BMG in a single shot rifle
#2--- My .458 LOTT
#3--- A old Browning Safari .458 Win.

ChefJeff1
April 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
3" inch slugs from my Mossberg 500 youth with a hangover....OUch!:banghead:

rangerruck
April 10, 2007, 12:31 AM
steyer m95 has got to be for rifles, and I've got a shorty m38 mosin. for pistol , i would have to say, the smith and wesson, 460 xcr, out of an unported, uncompensated bbl, has got to be a wrist breaker.

skeeter1
April 10, 2007, 12:44 AM
Heftiest recoil I've ever personally felt is my little SxS 12-gauge double (6 lbs.) with Magnum rounds for duck hunting. 20 rounds and my shoulder is all black-and-blue.

I've never fired one, but I'm guessing one of those old English 4-bore double rifles would put it to shame.

mb419
April 10, 2007, 02:15 AM
The worst I shot was my .45-70 guide gun with handloads loaded to the max,

until

my Ruger in .458 mag.

Was only able to put 2 rounds down range, and left me wondering how I was ever going to sight this thing in. I ended up putting a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and that got me up to 3 rounds the next time. It literally felt like the snot was getting knocked out of my head. Awesome!!!!

Glock22
April 10, 2007, 02:32 AM
At the time I had not shot anything heavier than a .223 WSSM and I shot the at the time new .325 WSM, that kicked hard enough that I didn't want to shoot the other 5 rounds. At the time I wasn't into shooting as much as I am now.

Guy B. Meredith
April 10, 2007, 02:55 AM
The worst experience I've had was with an Argentine 1898 Mauser rechambered to .30 '06 with the original military stock. Or maybe it was the 190X carbine since it had a short barrel.

Absolutely brutal.

Second would be benchrest shooting my Mossberg 195K bolt action 12 GA with slugs.

Between the two I still have a flinch after 40 years.

Erinyes
April 10, 2007, 03:50 AM
My worst were a S&W Mod. 29 with full power loads and rosewood grips, and a single shot Stevens 12Ga with 3" 00 buck. I actually busted my lip on the Stevens. I was done after 10 rounds.

The S&W belonged to my dad. We went out to the range together once and he put six rounds down range in very rapid succession. The grips actually tore the skin on his palms.

hexidismal
April 10, 2007, 04:03 AM
I might be mistaken about this, but the hardest kicking firearm I can think of that I have fired was a short barrel (16.5 inch) pistol grip only 10 gauge loaded with 3 1/2 inch slugs. I didn't really know quite what to expect on the first slug, and since it was a pistol grip I shot it low from the hip. Hit me pretty hard in the ribs on that first one.

Springfield_1911SS
April 10, 2007, 11:50 PM
What has more felt recoil a 8mm mauser(K98) or a .30-06(M1917 sporty)?

Broke
April 11, 2007, 12:49 AM
I've not shot anything nearly as powerful as some of the stuff listed here:D

I've shot a few full power rifles, but the strongest one I own would be the Mossberg 500 Cruiser (pistol grip only) with 3" Magnum slugs (3000+ ft/lbs)

Pic of me after being talked into trying it one handed last Easter....

http://www.brokevw.com/firehand.jpg

Broke

cold dead hands
April 11, 2007, 01:50 AM
When I first got my Taurus 605 two inch .357 snubbie I bought a box of Sellier and Bellot 158 gr. .357 mag rounds and a box of Winchester Silvertip 125 gr. .357 mag rounds.
First I shot all 50 of the S&B rounds. This drew blood and stung like all hell. Then followed the 50 Silvertips. After this wonderful excursion into the world of first time ignorant snubbie ownership I finally regained full feeling in my wrist after THREE months. It is because of this that I almost exclusively shoot the 100 gr. Cor-Bon Pow-R-Ball. .357 mag power in a much less painful package.

Then there was the time I first got to know my 12 gauge with a pistol grip. I didn't know what to expect, but I held on tightly. Well, not tight enough I guess because after I pulled the trigger it hit me smack in the middle of the forehead. OUCH

jkingrph
April 11, 2007, 05:51 PM
I have several that are close, a standard 1895 Marlin 1895 Cowboy(26" octagan barrel) in 45-70. Then the Ruger #1s in 375H&H and 458 Win.
The 375 seems to come back faster buth the 1895 Cowboy seems to stomp more.

bg
April 11, 2007, 06:07 PM
I once fired one of those American Derringer's in .410/45. I didn't much care
for that..:p

http://www.amderringer.com/pix/M8.jpg

I have to say though, this video from CNYCacher - Post 102 is
hilarious..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3Bv_CiydA

jetman
April 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
My worst recoiling I'm surprised wasn't mentioned here already. I had a .50 cal Beowulf upper for my AR15 lower. While trying to sight in my Eotech sight, I put exactly 17 rounds down range wearing only a t-shirt. With the plastic gridded butt stock of the AR on my shoulder only padded by my thin t-shirt gave me a HUGE bruise. It looked like my shoulder had been beaten with a meat tenderizing hammer. I immediately after that had a muzzle break and Limbasaver installed before I would even TRY and shoot it again. Sold it shortly afterwards.

obxned
April 11, 2007, 09:03 PM
Marlin 45/70 with max handloads!!!

Clipper
April 12, 2007, 07:19 AM
I shot a friend's Bennelli 12ga auto with the so-called recoil reducing stock with 3.5" 00 buck loads. Very unpleasant. He said it kicked worse than his CZ rifle in .458 Lott...

30 cal slob
April 12, 2007, 07:54 AM
i find the 375 H&H mag a little intimidating - more so than a .50 bmg because the fifty rifles tend to be much heavier than a 10 lb. (!) dangerous game hunting rifle.

would i want to shoot a 10 gauge pump (turkey loads) all day? nope.

the .500 S&W mag revolver resting in my safe is somewhat painful to shoot, but it is even more painful to the pocketbook.

atek3
April 12, 2007, 11:05 AM
NEF single shot 10 ga firing buck...

atek3

hankdatank1362
April 12, 2007, 12:57 PM
.50 BMG pistol

.600 NE revolver (heard it was a fake, I dunno)

USS Iowa

hceptj
April 12, 2007, 01:25 PM
10 gauge SxS w/3.5" loads...

Plink
April 12, 2007, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty recoil tolerant, but I've encountered some extremely uncomfortable kickers over the years. A lot of the felt recoil has to do with the gun itself rather than the caliber, and a lot has to do with how it fits you. I have a H&R single shot in 10 gauge that I simply can't shoot. My lighter friends have no trouble with it, as their bodies just rock with the recoil. The extra mass of my heavier body stays put and the butt hammers my shoulder sharply, causing severe bruising within 2 shots.

I fired an old English double in .416 Rigby that beat the snot out of me also. I've shot quite a few large doubles, but the .416's recoil pulse is a fast jab compared to their slow push.

When I say a lot has to do with the gun itself, the Ruger Mini-14 is a classic example. The .223 is a gentle shooting cartridge in every gun I've fired it in except the Mini-14. A long session with the Mini leaves me with a sore shoulder. This is of course because of the heavy bolt carrier impacting the receiver, rather than recoil from the cartridge itself.

Sniper X
April 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.fugly.com/videos/7346/extreme_recoil.html

saw an excerpt on here allready, but this is the full video of about 12 guys being putr on their butts buy a couple rifles. Funny!

Orr89rocz
August 18, 2007, 10:55 PM
My favorite was a lightweight winchester 1300 deer gun with federal classic 2 3/4 rifle slugs... shooting a 546 grain (1 1/4 oz) slug at 1520 fps. that damn thing was plain brutal off the bench, even when fired on a 'Lead sled' type rest (which really does eliminate recoil) and with a ported choke tube.

my new 870 deer gun with 23 inch cantilever scope barrel is abit heavier than the old winchester, but it still kicks. Winchester Platinum 400 gr at 1700 fps punches the shoulder pretty good. I have yet to shoot anything else thru it and cant wait to see how the 385 grain partition golds at 1900 fps work..that should hurt abit.

gregthehand
August 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
The M1A2 Abrams I was on in the Army kicked pretty hard.

mod700
August 18, 2007, 11:06 PM
well you got to figure anything with a fixed breech(bolt action, break action, revolver) is gonna have the most kick because the recoil has nowhere to go except your shoulder/hand. again the 870 3" slugs will get ya. as far as rifles go i would shoot a bolt action 300 mag. dont shoot pistols much

SolaScriptura139
August 18, 2007, 11:11 PM
These are the heaviest recoiling firearms I've shot before:

Rifle- 45-70 gov't and 375 H&H

Handgun- .357 mag (one of the hotter loads)

Shotgun- 3" magnum slug (I think that's what it was called)

Jimmy Newman
August 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
My dad had a .375H&H that I've shot a few times and I didn't think it was too bad (it's a Winchester Model 70, it's heavy but it's not huge).

On the other hand, my dad also had a 12ga SxS that weighed in at a little less than 6lbs and had a trigger problem wherein both barrels would sometimes fire at once. I was afraid to ever even try shooting it. He told me it was worse than anything he's ever shot, and he shot some pretty big stuff.

It also had a metal buttplate, not any kind of pad.

Dionysusigma
August 19, 2007, 02:37 AM
Worst recoiling pistol: Seecamp .32 with FMJs fed singly.
Worst recoiling rifle: Steyr M95 carbine. Positively trumps the M44.
Worst recoiling shotgun: Dunno. Don't use shotguns, myself... :confused:

John-Melb
August 19, 2007, 05:50 AM
Heaviest recoiling rifle, that's easy .577/450 Martini Henry Carbine.

"I'ffen you don't get the target with the bullet, the muzzle flash burns it to death anyway"

TheDisturbed1
August 19, 2007, 07:39 AM
Them M198's got some whopping recoil!

For an Autoloader, My CZ packs alot of kick... the Hi-Point .45 was a bit hard because of 90% of the whole guns weight getting thrown back as it cycled.

A must try for me: DesertEagle .50AE, I saw someone having their girlfriend shoot it and it nearly knocked her over every shot as her man ran frantically to collect the brass haha.

Cannonball888
August 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
My 1903a3 Remington 30-06 is the worst kicker I have. My Mosins pale compared to it.
Have shot both. Remington 11-87 with 21" barrel and 3" magnum slugs is far harder. The hardest kicker I've ever felt was an old double-barrelled 12ga with no recoild pad, pulling both triggers. Put a huge bruise on my shoulder though I was only 16yrs old at the time.

crankshop1000
August 19, 2007, 09:45 AM
My 642 Airweight with 158 grain +P is pretty nasty.

Orr89rocz
August 19, 2007, 04:35 PM
I forgot to mention that i've shot a factory remington 700 chambered in 300 Rem Ultra Mag. The gun was synthetic stock, long barrel, with a scope. Suprisingly hefty, i would say 9 lbs or so, maybe 10. It didnt kick hardly at all. actually felt abit like my 35 Whelen with 200 grain loads in my classic remington 700 which probly weighs only 7.5 lbs with scope. Still, not like those slugs in that slug gun

The coolest gun i've shot that i was sorta expecting some kick was a 338-378 weatherby custom target rifle. it was pretty heavy gun, somewhere near 20 lbs, and had a big muzzle break. Shooting at 1300 yards and hitting gallon jugs haha. thing had some muzzle jump, but kicked no harder than my 6mm remington

XD Fan
August 19, 2007, 04:37 PM
In my personal experience - 12 gauge pump with 3.5" magnums

Did see my dad once shoot both barrels of a 12 gauge O/U with 2 3/4" shells. That looked realy bad.

Nio
August 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
I fired a .700 Nitro Express once.

ONCE.

I did manage to hang onto it, but I think my soul has been crooked in my body ever since.

Nio

PTK
August 19, 2007, 06:01 PM
I fired a .700 Nitro Express once.

ONCE.

I did manage to hang onto it, but I think my soul has been crooked in my body ever since.

I just hurt myself laughing. Thank you so much!

chris allen
August 19, 2007, 06:06 PM
Rifle,

Ruger 1 in 45-70 shooting 500 gr. bullets loaded to the max.Actually knocked my brother over shooting in the kneeling position!!

Orr89rocz
August 19, 2007, 11:11 PM
i have a friend with a ruger #1 in 45/70. i've shot it on the bench with a fairly hot 350 grain load and it wasnt that bad at all. i did want to shoot his 500 grain solids he has loaded to near 458 win mag specs, but i decided to save the shoulder. i wanted to see how it compared to my 12 gauge slug gun and its 546 grain loads at 1520 fps. lol i could imagine it would have been pretty violent

MrTuffPaws
August 20, 2007, 03:36 AM
I would have to go with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. I shot a box, then cleaned and put the gun back up on the wall.

Way more brutal than my Mosin.

Picknlittle
August 20, 2007, 07:47 AM
Hands down for me is the Marlin Goose Gun, 10ga mag, 36" full choke "reach out and touch'em barrel".

My first goose hunt with this shotgun rendered two Canadian geese that were flying almost straight toward me maybe 100 feet high. They hit the ground 110 yds from the blind, same shot. I figure they were near 125 yds out when I 'sky busted" on them.:)

TEDDY
August 20, 2007, 05:13 PM
try a Bertier carbine with french mg rds 236gr at 2800fts.
I thought the italian carbine in 7.35 was bad but!!
:uhoh: :confused: :banghead::banghead: :)

mrsig
August 20, 2007, 07:07 PM
A .50 BMG with a poorly designed brake can be brutal to the point of almost needing stitches. The .416 Rigby can be quite stout as well. For the handgun, a HOT .45-70 in a BFG revolver is pretty substantial.

JimmerJammerMrK
August 21, 2007, 03:45 AM
Great thread. Thanks for creating it.

hamourkiller
August 21, 2007, 04:04 AM
Marlin 45/70 using Speer 400gr sfpt @ 2000Fps

Wicked bad from a bench.

Geno
August 21, 2007, 04:05 AM
For me, I have found the greater factor to be firearms design. I have fired a .378 Wea. Mag that was less punishing than my .338 Win Mag in a Remington 700 "Classic". The design of the classic stock design was horrid...and the Remington rifle was Mag-Na-Ported. :D

In pistols, the most punishing was my Freedom Arms .454 Cassull. I would rather fire an Encore pistol in ANY caliber than to fire that FA. That's why I sold each of these undesireable (to me) firearms.

sublimaze41
August 21, 2007, 06:04 AM
12G Ithica featherweight with slugs in 3" shells. Potent though!

Bat Guano
August 21, 2007, 06:05 AM
For guns that kick like a crazy mare, I personally can attest to those gigantic muzzle-loading elephant guns. I saw a guy shoot a 4-bore decades ago. He had quarter-pound roundballs and half-pound conical Minie bullets. He charged that damn beast with at least 200 grains of powder (just to get those hellaciously big bullets out of the barrel). Well, it sounded like a cannon going off, and since the bore was more than 20mm wide (I believe 4 gauge is caliber 1.166 which is about 26mm if my computations are correct), it was technically artillery. It knocked him back a few steps every time he fired the wondrous thing. He was happy to hit the paper, but I think he was aiming at the wooden target supports as he was ruining that lumber.
Personally, my WW2 British Lee-Enfield No. 5 Mk. I .303 caliber 'Jungle Carbine' is a strong kicker. They shortened and lightened the SMLE rifle, but it fires the same .303 round (7.7x56mm Rimmed). They put a rubber butt pad on it, but 70 years later, it is as hard as the black walnut stock.
Also, shooting .71 caliber slugs backed with 120 grains of black powder from a 12 gauge short-barreled "blanket gun" (a chopped musket that could be fired while a canoe, and typically kept in the folds of a rolled up blanket). That damn pistol got away from me and konked me on the head. I just charge it with 70 grains, now.

Slimjim
August 21, 2007, 06:59 AM
I dont know why i see .50 BMG in this thread, people must be firing it from unbraked rifles or light hunting type guns. My AR-50 actually recoils about the same or a bit less than my rem 700 PSS. Its the slap in the face, and the feeling in your sinuses that can get to you. I went 50 rounds one day though mine :P

Hardest recoiling I've shot? Mosin M44. Was a bear. Especially with the steel buttplate.

Anyone remember the beast? A American derringer chambered in 7.62x39 The guy who owns it is a member here.

Orr89rocz
August 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
anybody see the vid of the pistol chambered in 600 nitro express?

that had to be bad

SoonerSP101
August 21, 2007, 03:26 PM
.460 Weatherby with 500 grain solid. HURTS REAL BAD. TRUST ME.

mpmarty
August 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
I don't own any REALLY big rifles but my less than six pound Marlin 1895 with 300 grain jhp bullets at over 2200fps is all the punishment I want from a rifle thanks.

In pistols I have to say the most unpleasant one I've owned was a Glock 23

In shotguns, my Mossy 500 with the 18" plain jane barrel and lightweight stock is a real kicker with 3" magnum ounce and a half shells.

1858rem
October 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
i have not shot this before but ive readin a old bp book about 2, and 4, gauge/ bore big game rifles. gauge is how many bore sized rb you can get out of 1lb of lead, so 10 gauge would fire a 700 grain round ball, so just imagine a 2 gauge-3500 grain round ball, being pushed by a 8oo grain load of black powder, i think it was a 21 lb gun but wouldn't that have some major kick still?:cuss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2KgbC1TViQ&feature=related
check this out, i didnt actually watch it cause i have dial up but, like i said, 3500g rb. they only use 500g bp an that doesn't look like a 21 lb gun. i DO distinctly remember a 800g charge of bp for something on the same page as the 2 bore, maybe it was the 4 bore? either way CRAZY lol:what:

Acera
October 17, 2008, 01:28 PM
Wow 1858rem you dug this up from the past. Over a year since the last post on a three year old thread. Don't you think you could have started a fresh one, and let this old one die peacefully?

jahwarrior
October 17, 2008, 03:14 PM
the worst kicking handgun i've ever shot has to be the PF9. it's almost as bad as shooting 2 3/4" slugs through a shotgun with a pistol grip. my brother owns one, and the last time we went to the range, i could only get 20 shots through it before i gave up. it made shooting my 1911 seem like a .22LR, by comparison.

230RN
October 18, 2008, 02:06 AM
FWIW, Hatcher described a rifle an inventor brought in for evaluation by the Army.

The rifle was a "blow-forward" gun, where the barrel went forward at the shot, extracting and ejecting the case, and then picked up a new round on its way back into battery.*

Major General Julian S. Hatcher was head of the small arms development section, and certainly had experience with all kinds of shoulder weapons, so he ought to know. He remarked that it was the worst-recoiling gun he had ever fired. He only fired one shot, which was enough for the General, and handed it back to the inventor, who said he was "used to it," and proceeded to fire several more shots with it, apparently without discomfort.

The problem, of course, was that the body of the rifle was not only recoiling from the bullet and the combustion gases, but was also throwing the barrel forward, taking the recoil from the barrel as well.

In addition, the mass of the gun, in figuring recoil, had to be reduced by the weight of the barrel itself, which normally is an integral part of the gun's mass.

Before arthritis got into my shootin' hand, I did not have much trouble with the recoil of a .44 Magnum in a single action revolver, although I did not like it particularly. The main problem with it was recovering from the shot to make a second shot. In a hunting situation, this (at least theoretically) would not be a problem, but for just range practice and shooting at targets of opportunity (tin cans, cowpies) it just was not much fun.

On the other hand, as noted in the above post, a 124 grain load out of my Kel-Tek PF9 is also very brisk and sharp, but the recovery time is a lot less for followup shots since you don't have to bring your arms down almost from the vertical and re-align your whole anatomy. This is not a "fun" gun, either, but the recoil, even though it is very sharp, does not throw you off so much for that all-important second part of the double-tap procedure.

I would agree with a previous poster that the .30-06 in an '03 Springfield is about the worst-recoiling small-arms shoulder rifle I have ever fired **, and the .30-06 in my lighter sporter in this chambering is even worse.

Certainly "plenty enough" to satisfy my inner gorilla.

The recoil from my 91/30 M-N with its pike-like 26" barrel is by no means as bad as the '03, and I have to kind of chuckle to myself when folks complain about it. And believe me, I'm no recoil junkie, and the hair on my chest is fairly sparse.

Now, I have never fired the lightweight, short-barred M44/M38 carbine verions of the Mosin-Nagant, but I expect that would indeed be pretty uncomfortable. So I'll pass on even trying one of them.

And gas-operated semis are usually, in my opinion, a lot "softer" in their recoil than the bolt versions for any given cartridge, even though the total recoil energy after everything settles down back into battery might be the same. I believe that, unlike the barrel being thrown forward in the "adventure" General Hatcher had above, the operating rods, bolt carriers and bolts, and what-have-you, are being thrown backwards on firing a gas-operating arm, compensating somewhat for the recoil of the bullet and gases themselves going forward. This, to my mind, spreads out the recoil and makes it feel softer.

Jes' ramblin'.

For what it's worth. Three cents, nowadays. Make that four.

--Terry, 230RN

--------
* REF: p 261 ff., Hatcher's Notebook

** I have no experience with anything with an "M" in the cartridge name except for rimfires. And I don't want any.

rojocorsa
October 18, 2008, 02:24 AM
4-bore
.600 N T
.700 N T

ARTiger
October 18, 2008, 02:32 AM
Browning BPS pump shotgun. 10 ga. 3.5" magnum T shot. Will knock a 15 lb Canada from the sky like it's a dove.

RoostRider
October 18, 2008, 02:44 AM
As far as the weapons I have used

Rifle- probably 7mm
Handgun- S&W .50 revolver
shotgun- 12ga 3" mag

neededausername
October 18, 2008, 04:10 AM
T/C with a 30/30 barrel, I'm not that strong armwise I was sore for a couple days. A rifle round out of a handgun is fun, but hurts.

Boris Barowski
October 18, 2008, 10:52 AM
for me that would be a stutzen rifle in 9,3x74R

XD-40 Shooter
October 18, 2008, 10:59 AM
458 winchester magnum and for handguns, the 500 S&W magnum.

Crazy Fingers
October 18, 2008, 12:35 PM
Here's a recipe for ridiculous recoil.

1. Get a NEF Pardner break action 12 gauge with a 3 inch chamber. Nice and light weight.

2. Get one of those 3" Lightfield magnum slugs.

3. Pull the trigger.

4. Don't do it again.

Rshooter
October 18, 2008, 08:14 PM
I have never had the honor but I have heard that the .55 Boys anti-tank gun was the recoil king back in WWII and may still hold that title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMTyCOWg-k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4lOcD7O5c&feature=related

Girodin
October 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
.460 weatherby off a bench made a .450 Marlin out of a light little lever gun seem pleasant.

For shotguns the NEF single shots tend to have stout recoil IMO. I only shoot bird shot out of them and try to keep it to light loads.
A 3 1/2" turkey load out of a pump gun was the hardest shotgun round I've fired but didn't hold a candle to the .460. It made me question the wisdom of hunting anything that require that much gun to kill.

351 WINCHESTER
October 18, 2008, 11:03 PM
High on the list is the .350 rem. mag. in a rem. 600 which weighs about 6 lbs.

Next was a 12ga. double 3" buckshot. No recoil pad.

MacTech
October 18, 2008, 11:53 PM
In my current collection;

Shotgun; Parker VH-grade side-by-side 12-gauge, no recoil pad to absorb energy, the hard plastic shoulder pad transfers all the recoil energy to your shoulder
Rifle; Winchester model 1894 in 44-40, a sharp punch to the shoulder, quick and hard but gone quickly, no recoil pad on this one either
Semiauto Pistol; Glock 21, not bad recoil per-se, a gentle push back with a slight upward rise

LightningJoe
October 19, 2008, 12:20 AM
My firearms experience has been kind of eclectic but I'd say a Guardian 32 followed by an M-203. Although the Raging Bull in .454 was something, too.

1858rem
October 19, 2008, 12:22 AM
as far as what i have goes... replica kentucky flinchlock... try a 360 grain minie and 110g 777 ffg (that is a heavy charge, for you smokeless shooters lol:D) ummmm.. no recoil pad, just a sharply curved brass butt plate, and quite an angle on the stock that will slam yer face pretty hard! left a bruise every time i shot it... i use a rb an about 60g now lol:cuss:

FlyinBryan
October 19, 2008, 12:42 AM
for me there have been four or five that were tough.

the first was a 10gauge bolt action goose gun. it was my dads and i was about 14.

the next was my 9.5" ruger super redhawk in 44 magnum.

then my gramps old 1890 white powder wonder.

and i suppose my bros 410 derringer.

doc2rn
October 19, 2008, 01:57 AM
Well my great grandpas 10g SXS that he put me against a tree when I was 8 or the .338 before I found why they put those holes up front.

Water-Man
October 19, 2008, 02:43 AM
.460 Weatherby Magnum

230RN
October 19, 2008, 09:17 AM
FlyinBryan

...then my gramps old 1890 white powder wonder.

Ooo! Amplify, please? Sounds interesting. I thought the 1890 was a .22. And by "white powder wonder," are you referring to the LeSmok .22 ammo, which was sorta half black powder and half guncotton?

And it takes a while for memories to bubble up to this wrinkled old cortex, but now I am reminded of the time I borrowed a .69 caliber Zouave (?) and fired five rounds of Minie balls out of it. My shoulder was blacker than the bull.

Lousy group.

No fun.

Especially cleaning it later.

Ouch and Yuch.

I must have suppressed the memory all this time.

Dang. Now another supressed memory just bubbled up.

Spankin' and soap-in-the-mouth for cussin' when I was eight.

Ouch and Yuch.

Dang.

glockdriver
October 19, 2008, 05:34 PM
My shooting Partner is/was a recoil junkie and he had a Ruger #2 chambered in 460 weatherby. you talk about hurt !! His favorite comment was " it killed from the barrel and maimed from the butt"

I had a COP 4 barrel derringer in 38/357 which I shot some T/C 357 hotshot rounds thru .OUCH. Six rounds and I was done in!

gbran
October 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/50BMG.jpg

Golden Hound
October 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
Why do I get the feeling that "Wimps" used to be something else...possibly starting with a P...

gbran
October 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
Why do I get the feeling that "Wimps" used to be something else...possibly starting with a P...

Don't want to offend some folks sensibilities.

f4t9r
October 19, 2008, 08:40 PM
any old single shot shotgun will have some kick .

Stevie-Ray
October 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
How about .500 A-Square?

I seem to remember well over 10,000 FPE:eek:

crazy-mp
October 19, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thompson Contender in 30-30 the first generation with a nearly vertical grip, goes nearly over my head, shoot a flame almost a foot. Would rather shoot my 454 Raging Bull.

FlyinBryan
October 20, 2008, 12:40 AM
Ooo! Amplify, please? Sounds interesting. I thought the 1890 was a .22. And by "white powder wonder," are you referring to the LeSmok .22 ammo, which was sorta half black powder and half guncotton?

lol, 1890 was what year i thought it was made in but i was off by 1 year. it was made in 1891.

its a 12g single shot shotgun that was my great gramps goose gun.

the name "white powder wonder" refers to the fact that it utilized the new and revolutionary smokeless powder.

many guns of the era that were able to be had by the average farmer were still shooting black powder, hence the name, "white powder wonder.

a few years later they made an improved model and sold it in the 1912 sears catalog.

my dear mom has a copy of it and i spend hours everytime im at her house brousing through it.

did you know you could order a horse and buggy from sears in the older books?

crazy but true.

anyway, back to the shotgun. i dont know if it is just the geometrical layout of the gun, or the fact that its 5ft long and very light, but it kicks so hard it makes my old buds 300 win mag feel refreshingly mild.

230RN
October 20, 2008, 01:27 AM
^ Thanks. I wondered about that "white powder wonder." Bit of trivia I will store away but not be able to recollect when I need to.

OK on the 1891 v 1890. Let that be your worst mistake of the year... as my father used to say.

FYI, in the 1910s and 1920s, you could order a whole house from Sears and Roebuck.

Look up "Sears Kit House."

I lived in one for about 12 years.

inutero1212
October 20, 2008, 01:50 AM
for me i would have to say a win. m70 featherweight my uncle had, he loaded way over sammi on his loads, so 180gr. were cracking shell casings. Pistol was a shotgun with a hacked barrel and a modified pistol grip. Slugs out of that hurt, one handed of course. past the shotty, which really wasn't a handgun, i think small .40 cals a re a bit snappy and harsh. I have had .44mags i liked better, but i hate the .40 anyway.

inutero1212
October 20, 2008, 01:58 AM
also, my uncle has to weld his scope to the rifle to keep the mount from shaking loose

solareclipse
October 20, 2008, 11:53 AM
ANY native 9mm gun converted (or released) as a .40, 10mm or even .45

the 10mm is the worst in terms of bite. very quick and snappy.

and most revolvers above a .38. shooting the 357 in a revolver is only advisable if you hate your hand.

and no, recoil isn't fun not desirable and certainly not a measure of manliness ;) (before somebody brings that up as usual)

Sniper X
October 20, 2008, 12:33 PM
Worst rifle I ever shot for total felt recoil was a .577 Kynoch Nitro Express. It was a beautiful English double rifle. Owner said he paid a quarter million for it:what:

Anyway, this was at the Monterey Lagun Secca Gun Range about 20 years ago and I still rememebr it like it was yesterday. guy showed up to the range in a tennis outfit, driving a Ferrarri Daytona with the rifle in the passneger seat in a beautiful wood case. Yeah, it kincked like a mule!

That rifle in the video everyone has seen knocking people on their butts is a .577 T rex.

you can look at them on youtube by searching for powerful rifle.

Worst recoil on a handgun was that 324pd, no way man, never buy one of those.

Shotgun probably my 870 but that wasn't bad at all. I now have a H&K M1 Super 90 which is more tame by far than even a 870....I can shoot it one handed.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
October 20, 2008, 01:40 PM
Off topic, but I gotta ask; Sniper X do you play any Call of Duty games?

tribbles
October 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
My model 700 mtn rifle (6lbs) 30-06 makes you take notice for a -06.

I fully agree. I have no problems shooting any of my milsurp Mausers or Mosins with steel buttplates and hot surplus ammo while wearing just a T-shirt, but that light 700 just kicks my butt all over the range.

mod700
October 20, 2008, 05:43 PM
two that kicked me pretty good. my 444 marlin and 7mm mag bolt action (synthetic stock)....caliber of the weapon influences felt recoil, but so does overall weight of the weapon and material of stock.

Sniper X
October 20, 2008, 05:55 PM
LJ Mosin

Nope, why do you ask? You have me curious.

ctciatti
October 20, 2008, 05:59 PM
"I'll vote for the S&W 340 models with a nice hot load. .357 x 12 oz. Snappy, very snappy..."

This is a family website.....are you allowed to say that?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
October 21, 2008, 08:02 AM
Well when I played, (still do but not very much), there was a kid named Sniper X. He wasn't much liked by any of us in the "clan". He was booted for something or another.

Just wondering, because you're sharing the same name. That's all.
lol.

alsaqr
October 21, 2008, 08:54 AM
One of my guns is a .375 Improved Alaskan built on a lightened Thai Mauser action. It weighs 6.5 pounds without scope. This gun kicks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most severely-recoiling firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!