Which Bullets?

PDA

Tomekeuro85
December 27, 2005, 07:14 PM
I'm about to purchase my first few hundred bullets for reloading. I'm going to reload for 2 guns, Rem 700 and Savage 10FP. I'm looking for some accurate 40 or 50 grain bullets for the .223 that can also be used for varmints. For the .308, I want 168 grain that are as accurate as possible, but also suitable for hunting. I was thinking Sierra or Hornady. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mr.trooper
December 27, 2005, 10:04 PM
40 or 50 grain V-max for varmints.

For accurate 308, alot of snipers and presision shooters like SMK's

HSMITH
December 27, 2005, 11:05 PM
I have had fantastic results with Sierra Gamekings in 223, I prefer the 55 grain weight. On game they are as good as a varmint bullet gets even at extreme distances.

In 308 the 168 Matchking is a REALLY good bullet. The Hornady match bullet is also a good one.

Tomekeuro85
December 27, 2005, 11:50 PM
I was thinking the V-max as well. I cannot use 55gr because I have a 1 in 12 twist and the lighter bullets shoot a lot better in my gun. I'll probably get some 40 and some 50.

What are some good hunting bullets for the .308? Sierra says not to use SMK on game. Anyone ever use Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip?

Smokey Joe
December 28, 2005, 12:30 AM
Tomekeuro85--Nosler advertises their Ballistic Tip as "The hunting bullet that thinks it's a target bullet." IMX, that's about right. They make a 165 grain Ballistic Tip.

Nosler, Sierra, and every other maker I've ever read says NOT to use TARGET bullets for hunting--Target bullets don't mushroom properly; they are just made to go straight and punch paper. In some areas non-softpoint bullets are illegal for hunting for just this reason.

If the Ballistic Tip is a little pricey for you, I've had nearly as good results with Sierra's .308 165 grain Gameking. I moved to the Ballistic Tips only because the Gamekings have lead tips that damage easily, wheras the Ballistic Tips have plastic tips that are considerably tougher.

Now, my results with the Ballistic Tips were obtained in a .30-'06 and a .300WSM, not a .308, but it's the same bullet. A reloading friend still uses the recipie I developed for him for his .308Win which uses the Sierra 165 grain Gamekings. Nice and accurate.

I know you asked for 168 grain bullet reccommendations. Performance-wise, I don't think you'll ever see a difference between a 165 grain bullet and a comparable 168 grain bullet.

Tomekeuro85
December 28, 2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. 165gr is also good. I'll probably pick 2 bullets for each caliber for now and see how they work. If I'm happy, they'll stay. I just want something decent for when I go to South Dakota this spring with both guns. The .308 will be for deer hunting in the fall, so I have plenty of time over the summer to develop a good hunting load.

P0832177
December 28, 2005, 03:57 AM
If you want an inexpensive varmint/target bullet in the 223, the Remington 50gr PLHP is an accurate option they run about 75 per M! But, if you watch places like Natchez, Midway, and some other suppliers the 250 packs of 50gr VMaxs can be had for under 100 bucks per M. I have had several 1-12 twist 223 guns, and they all loved the 55gr NBT or Sierra HPBT. N133 and Fed 205 with 50gr Vmax in WW case, very very very scary accurate!

Now in the 308, well for game harvesting there is great option with Sierra 165gr HPBT. For paper punching, I suggest you go to the Nosler Proshop and look under reloading and get either the 155 or 168 Custom Comp. seconds, they are half price. They shoot great! I have gotten all kinds of blems from Nosler, and believe me you can not tell the difference on paper, the best value is the 30 cal bullets, as the 22 caliber BTips are not a big value, where as with sales a fellow can get first run for nearly the same price. Varget with WW cases or Lapua case sparked by a CCI BR2 Primer should launch any target bullet vary accurately with min. load development!

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!