What are good gun-related jobs?

PDA

losangeles
December 28, 2005, 07:24 PM
I guess I'm going through mid-life crisis and have decided I really like guns and wish to do some work involving guns. I'm also an entrepreneur, so I'll create another post with the same question regarding gun-related businesses, but this post is about jobs.

OK, what are good jobs? By good, I mean something that pays a reasonably good living. (I'm easily past the 6-figures salary per year in my current livelihood, but let's keep this kind of open-ended.) Just to put a restriction, let's say you need a maximum of 2 years extra training, and let's assume you have at least a 4-year college degree. And you are familiar with firearms from years of hobbying.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are good gun-related jobs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
losangeles
December 28, 2005, 07:25 PM
Let me go ahead and get the obvious out of the way:

1. Military service
2. Security guard

Unless maybe you can suggest specialties beyond the ordinary.

another okie
December 28, 2005, 07:33 PM
No job where you carry a gun is going to pay all that well. A few federal LEO jobs pay decently, but you sound like you're too old for that.

Repair jobs, which is what most gunsmithing is, don't pay well in our throw away society.

Writing, editing and PR jobs in the gun industry are extremely competitive and probably don't pay what you're used to.

Many gun-related jobs are done by people with military or police pensions who don't need a huge income or health insurance.

I guess you could start a new gun company, like Bill Ruger.

If you think of one, let me know.

taliv
December 28, 2005, 07:47 PM
by "good" do you mean where the pros outweigh the cons?

e.g.
being a 2nd ammendment lawyer: good
having to live in DC: *bzzzzzt*

being a high-speed elite operator: good
getting shot at in 120deg weather and getting sand in your drawers: *bzzzzt*

the "problem" with most gun jobs is that they're based on your reputation which is generally a result of how good you are. i'm sure i'm not telling you anything you don't already know

running a gun school would be hella cool, but i'm no clint smith. even if i were better than clint smith, nobody would know that and nobody would pay me for advice.

being an expert witness might be an option too, except for that "expert" part.

doing gun choreography stuff for hollywood would be a hoot, but those aren't the kinds of things open to the average gun nut.

to establish yourself, you're almost definitely going to have to start at a salary that's a wee bit lower.
check the ATF website for jobs. might not be sexy, but you never know what you could luck into.

talk to folks at the gunsmithing school in pgh

call some of the big internet retailers like midwayusa or cabelas

check with some of the importers like armscor

try some foreign companies who might want assistance with the US market

maybe do guided hunts?

be a mole at the brady center?

obviously you can start your own range or gun store

if you've got a science background, find some old ballisticians and see if there's a job market

or a chemist for one of the powder mfgs

curator at a gun museum (or museum with big gun collection)

write for a gun rag (fairly certain you couldn't make a living doing this, but it might calm your crisis

Rem700SD
December 28, 2005, 07:52 PM
Do you have a marketing background? Maybe sales/distributing for one of the mfg companies? NRA lobbyist?

ReadyontheRight
December 28, 2005, 07:57 PM

I think importing or manufacturing guns or gun-related items is your best bet.

The guy who started Dillon Precision is probably the most successful gun-related modern-day entrepreneur. Most gun-related jobs do not pay well, there's not a whole lot of money in the industry and even well-known historical gun-makers seem to have not make as much money as many other industries.

Thefabulousfink
December 28, 2005, 08:11 PM
As I posted in your other thread....

Where do you live and how much can you invest?

If you can find the time, space, and money, setting up a shooting resort is a great way to make money. There are many places throughout the West that have tactical shooting courses, guided hunts, seminars, and training. These places make loads of money from people interested in top quality training or just rich businessmen from big cities who don't have the time/ facilities to shoot.

Some of these places charge +$1000 a night. Of course service needs to be top quality to charge that kind of fee, but short of international arms dealer, it is the fastest way to make $$ in the gun industry.

losangeles
December 28, 2005, 08:26 PM
No job where you carry a gun is going to pay all that well. A few federal LEO jobs pay decently, but you sound like you're too old for that.

Yes, you're right!

to establish yourself, you're almost definitely going to have to start at a salary that's a wee bit lower.

obviously you can start your own range or gun store

Hmmm, those are some ideas there ...

For the range idea, it wouldn't be difficult to scout out existing ranges and seeing what kind of traffic they're getting and calculating what each patron spends...

That foreign company assistance with the US market would be an international arms dealer. I understand it's all about connections but that can be ULTRA lucrative. (Adnan Khoshoggi becoming the #1 richest in the world at one time doing that, although that's a whole other level.) ReadyontheRight also suggested this above and this might be the way to go.

V4Vendetta
December 28, 2005, 08:32 PM
Why not open a gun store? You could have a job being around hundreds of guns.:cool: Sounds nice to me.

losangeles
December 28, 2005, 08:38 PM
Why not open a gun store? You could have a job being around hundreds of guns.:cool: Sounds nice to me.

Yeah, I could do that! :)

I'm just wondering how profitable it'd be. As with anything, I'm sure the usual business variables apply --- location, marketing, demand for the area, etc.

Guns are expensive. I wonder if you have to buy your own inventory or if manufacturers will help you cover.

Janitor
December 28, 2005, 08:43 PM
Yea ... and you could spend your days dealing with the likes of us, trying to con you down that last 1.8% on a buy. And "what do you mean you want $25 to do a transfer? I have a friend that will do it for $19!".

Nice! :)

I've no idea at all how you come by your six figures each year, but do they have people that do what you do in the gun manufacturing industry? I realize this would only be gun related in the most vague of possible senses, but at least it is.

The suggestion of lobbyist has already been made. Are you a persuasive guy?
-

Ala Dan
December 28, 2005, 08:54 PM
If you like traveling, a manufactuer's sales rep is interesting~!:uhoh:

But, you spend a lot of lonely nights away from your family.:(

And, usually you have to represent more than firearms; like brands
of ammo, knives, tree stands, clothing, etc. Browning would be a
good one too get hooked up with.:D

kjeff50cal
December 28, 2005, 08:56 PM
Depending on what state you are in (like Texas) you can get a CHL Instuctor's license and hang out your shingle. It cost only a little more than getting a CHL (I am thinking on that same line too).

kjeff50cal

pest3125
December 28, 2005, 09:19 PM
I'd forget about it. Nothing ruins a hobby more than making it your livelihood.
Of course, if you are wealthy and can afford to risk some money, go for whatever you like!

Tejas Gunwerks
December 28, 2005, 10:07 PM
Hire on as a contractor, go to Iraq. You have to have experience or no one will hire you. You might get shot.

VirgilCaine
December 28, 2005, 10:16 PM
I'd forget about it. Nothing ruins a hobby more than making it your livelihood.

Ditto that. Think carefully about this.

Sam
December 28, 2005, 10:50 PM
I had a job shooting stuff for a defense contractor for a couple of years. It didn't pay too great but Igot to shoot a lot and lots of different weapons from BB guns to 40mm.

Sam

tonytulipz
December 28, 2005, 11:27 PM
Ditto that. Think carefully about this.

+1

losangeles
December 29, 2005, 02:24 AM
Nothing ruins a hobby more than making it your livelihood.

You have a good point there. I'd be willing to take a chance, though. I did it with the Internet and that worked out okay. And I'm still okay with the Internet.

Though they move at higher athmospheres, I always thought professional athletes have it good. Getting paid (well) for something that was meant as recreation.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are good gun-related jobs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!