2006 Gun-Related Predictions

PDA

Cosmoline
December 28, 2005, 06:56 PM
I'm interested to hear what predictions people have regarding firearms and gun laws in the new year.

Personally, I predict that Wal-Mart, in its continuing drive to court the urban and blue state market, will cut back but probably not totally eliminate firearm and ammunition sales. I base this on Wal-Mart's known marketing moves and goals, along with rumors of a big cut in the works. The big losers, as Tom Gresham recently pointed out, will be those gun companies that have gotten most deeply in bed with Wal-Mart. If this happens, expect the company to swear up and down it has to do with sales, not politics.

If you enjoyed reading about "2006 Gun-Related Predictions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
December 28, 2005, 07:40 PM
I predict that I will spend more money on guns and ammunition in 2006.

redranger1
December 28, 2005, 07:50 PM
im gonna predict that the liberals will try just as hard if not harder to take our rights away and that more states will at least consider concealed carry bills.

Ala Dan
December 28, 2005, 07:56 PM
I'm gonna predict that I'm going to save some gun buying until right 'round
the Christmas holidays next year; as it seems like Christmas came every
week this year~!:uhoh: :D

HighVelocity
December 28, 2005, 08:01 PM
I predict that Glock will introduce a Carbine and a 1911. :neener:

ARperson
December 28, 2005, 08:12 PM
Based on the rash of shootings with "evil" firearms lately (tec9 and ak), I predict a rare assault on gun restrictions. If not statewide, at least focused very intensely on Indianapolis city area.

Ugh! And I was just posting last week about how decent Indiana/Indianapolis was towards CCW and firearms ownership. :(

racenutz
December 28, 2005, 08:57 PM
I predict I will be issued a M16A2 in BCT next summer.

Azrael256
December 28, 2005, 09:04 PM
I predict that this year I'm going to find out what I have to do to help along open carry in this state. Having to conceal all the time is a pain.

MountainPeak
December 28, 2005, 09:31 PM
Hillary Clinton will join SASS. She will take the name "Little anti Terror". SASS members will be a little suspect about her motives, at first. They, of course will come to love her, after she brokers the deal between the purists and the cheaters.

Firethorn
December 28, 2005, 09:44 PM
I predict that Nebraska will finally get CCW.

thumper723
December 28, 2005, 10:22 PM
I predict that I will get my CWL, and that I will not have to use it.

I also predict that I will buy a CMP M1 Garand and buy a reloader for 45ACP as I will go broke if I do not.

Standing Wolf
December 28, 2005, 11:17 PM
I predict more model 1911 pistols will show up on the market.

I predict lots of gun magazines will run big articles on .30-'06 rifles, ammunition, hunting, et cetera.

I predict the Republicans, who've done virtually nothing for the nation, will take a beating in the November elections at the hands of the representatives of the Democratic (sic) party, who've done their best to turn America into a larger, slightly more prosperous East Germany.

I predict both Mrs. Snopes Clinton and that McCain creature will get lots of free publicity from the national leftist extremist so-called "news" media.

Kodiaz
December 28, 2005, 11:33 PM
I predict there will be many SHTF threads. A dozen 9mm vs .45 threads. Many people saying they would rather have some WW2 antique than an AR. The republicans will work hard to get kicked out of power while the democrats work even harder to be in total disarray. I predict Fl will become one of the most civilized states because all of our uncivilized people will be shot by decent folk defending themselves. I predict that I will become dead on with my new 1911 and also I predict I will find some way of mounting a bayonet to every firearm I own (especially the pistols) so that I may offend liberals. I predict liberals will be offended by decent behavior. I predict I will spend a month without power this hurricane season :( . I also predict that I will enjoy every day of no power.

On a serious note start looking at Iran's nuke situation because it looks like Israel is going to do airstrikes if some deal isn't made by march or so.

IndianaDean
December 29, 2005, 01:29 AM
I'm afraid you're right about Indy. When they ran a news story about the shootings tonight, and they asked why these had really started happening this year, they left out the obvious reply:

9-11!

trickyasafox
December 29, 2005, 01:31 AM
i predict i'll still be waiting to hear back on my permit. i predict i'll apply for a C&R, i predict i wont make as many holes in paper targets as i'd like to

jtward01
December 29, 2005, 03:26 AM
I predict Smith & Wesson will introduce a revolver chambered in .600 Nitro Express. I predict they'll introduce a scandium model with a two-inch ported barrel that weighs only 29 ounces. I predict someone will make +P ammo for it. I predict I will never drop the hammer on one!!!

I predict the plastic frames of millions of early production Glocks will start to deteriorate with age forcing the company into bankruptcy. Beretta will purchase Glock's assets and transfer production of their SAA replica to Austria.

Colt will reintroduce a few revolver models, put the pictures on the web sites, price them at $1,000+ then drop them citing a lack of sales. Colt will also issue a statement saying the company is in sound financial condition right after laying off 30 people due to production cuts.

I predict American Handgunner magazine will run an article about a 1911 style pistol.

I predict the NRA will send out a letter to its members asking for donations.

Nematocyst
December 29, 2005, 04:07 AM
I will spend at least 3-5 hrs/month at the range, along with $50/mo in ammo, especially for the 870P, the K9 & the SW642 {hot little gun that it is}. (Oh, wait; that's an early new year resolution.)

With the help of reduced recoil rnds, I will become more proficient with each of the above weapons. (Of this, I have no doubt.)

There will be squabbles between Republicrats & Democrans, with the Libertarians adding injury to their insults. {Transposition of nouns intentional.}

Federal will introduce a reduced recoil #1 buck in 12 ga. (Oh, no wait; not a prediction; just wishful thinking.)

I will get the CZ452 scoped with a nice Leupold 2X-7X.

I will decide which centerfire bolt gun to buy (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=172790). {Current choices vasilate between Remington 700, Tikka T3, Savage 16, Ruger Mark II or Winchester Ultimate Shawdow in .270 Win, .308 & 7mm08. Opinions welcome.}

Climate change will accelerate, motivating more SHTF/TEOTWAWKI threads even over the objection of our wonderful {sincerely} moderators.

I will age another year while eating fried squirrel (harvested with a CZ452) and drinking lots of good beer with friends in the woods.

I will reach 2500 posts on THR.

There will be at least 17.3 heated, intellectual squabbles in Legal & Political, at least 12 of which will involve placement of commas and the meaning of words in the 2nd amendment.

LAK
December 29, 2005, 04:22 AM
I predict more of the usual marketing of new gadgets, gimmicks and trendy ideas. More plastic guns, new plastics, perhaps some breakthrough in the commercial application of ceramic materials for certain components - perhaps barrels and maybe even receivers.

Perhaps an increase in vintage replicas; seems like more and more are being produced, albeit usually somewhat pricey items.

On the legal front I expect more timely events to create the fear and impetus for "tighter controls", a wider dissemination of information on "gunbuyers", more records, and no doubt more efforts to introduce more "bans".
-----------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

spooney
December 29, 2005, 09:53 AM
I'm interested to hear what predictions people have regarding firearms and gun laws in the new year.

Personally, I predict that Wal-Mart, in its continuing drive to court the urban and blue state market, will cut back but probably not totally eliminate firearm and ammunition sales. I base this on Wal-Mart's known marketing moves and goals, along with rumors of a big cut in the works. The big losers, as Tom Gresham recently pointed out, will be those gun companies that have gotten most deeply in bed with Wal-Mart. If this happens, expect the company to swear up and down it has to do with sales, not politics.

I feel that this won't happen this year but we will definatly see moves towards that. We have been restricted so much on which guns we can carry, and how many of them we can have in the store at a time it is incredible.

Waitone
December 29, 2005, 10:01 AM
Near term prediction is gun control will disappear from the public discourse for the 2006 election.

Far term prediction is WalMart will go the way of the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company. Another far term prediction is those companies getting goo-goo eyed over a WalMart contract will regret it (c.f. Hoover Vacuum Cleaners and Schwinn bicycles).

mosttoyswins
December 29, 2005, 10:05 AM
I predict there will be 28,764,387 more useless "caliber vs. caliber" and "stopping power" threads.:cuss:

I predict I will buy a .22 pistol, shotgun and 2 rifles this year.

ARperson
December 29, 2005, 10:29 AM
I'm afraid you're right about Indy. When they ran a news story about the shootings tonight, and they asked why these had really started happening this year, they left out the obvious reply:

9-11!

Not to mention that the Peterson Party is more concerned with a new stadium (don't get me wrong, I want the new stadium and the Colts!) and rehabbing certain neighborhoods and consolidating a horrible police force with a decent Sheriff's department than he is with really doing what it takes to stop the crime.

V4Vendetta
December 29, 2005, 11:19 AM
I predict I will buy my first Shotgun in February. Then I might get a Knoxx or Limbsaver recoil pad if I need it. Late in the year I might get the Knoxx Sidewinder drum kit if I can get one cheap.

I predict a sore shoulder.:D

I predict I might save some money so I can get a Glock 19 in 2009.

Lambo
December 29, 2005, 12:25 PM
There will be another attempt to ban the so-called assault weapon in the State of Maryland.

HankB
December 29, 2005, 12:40 PM
I predict most gun rags will continue to recycle old articles.

I predict a high-profile crime somewhere will rekindle calls for gun control.

I predict one or more major gun manufacturers will make minor changes to their line and spin them as "major improvements" or some such nonsense.

I predict a rude shock for the GOP at the midterm elections. (Since they govern like democrats, why not vote for the real ones . . . or stay home?) Many RINOs will claim this is a sign they need to move further to the left . . .

I predict someone will come up with a bayonet which can be attached to a pistol via the flashlight accessory rail.

CAS700850
December 29, 2005, 01:09 PM
A few thoughts:

Glock will be sued under a products liability theory by someone who suffers injury as a result of an accidental discharge. There is a growing camp of people who blame the design of the Glock for these incidents, and I predict problems for Glock along this line.

Smith and Wesson may capitalize on the difficulties the military is having with the Beretta, the animosity towards the Glock, and the favorable reviews of the M&P by securing a contract with the military to replace the Berettas with the M&P. The big twist will be that the M&P will be provided in .40 caliber. The 9mm was adopted in large part due to NATO vs. Warsaw Pact issues, which are dead in the current environment. The .40 will be adopted as a move towards better stopping power in ball ammunition. Glock may attempt to underbid Smith for this contract, but "Buy American" sentiments will help Smith capture the deal. To further seal the deal, and to heighten the desirability of the M&P line, Smith wil release a compact version for the concealment market.

The revolver will continue its painful slide into history as Smith and other companies will continue to offer fewer and fewer revolvers in their product lines, turning attention to more and more autoloaders. Only the J-frame sized revolvers will continue to sell well, and then only so long as the CCW laws remain in effect or even spread.

I expect gun shows to become a thing of the past, as they will continue to be blamed for criminals obtaining firearms. I also expect the NICS checks to become more formidable, possibly requiring fingerprints, in the name of "Anti-terrorism" legislation.

I forsee the start of a swing back from the restrictions on liberties under the Patriot Act and such towards the center again, as judges and politicians see how Bush and Co. have taken abuse due to the NSA domestic spying, etc., and also because 9/11 fades into the history books. If, however, there is another major terrorist incident on American soil, liberties will be further restricted, and some will claim that Bush played some part in the incident as a means of justifying his previous acts.

A friend thinks we will start seeing the groundwork for an effort to allow Bush to run for a third term, a la FDR during WWII. You know, you don't want to change leadership in the middle of a war.

As for me, I predict that, as motivation to lose weight, get in shape, and improve my overall health, I will put a picture of a Sig 232 by my work out equipment and begin saving money, so that if I can achieve the weight and fitness goals by October 8 (my 38th birthday), I will purchase it. I've always lusted after that gun, for some reason.

Have a happy and healthy 2006.

Rupestris
December 29, 2005, 03:50 PM
Beretta/Benelli will not bring the RX4 to the US.

Kimber's DAO polymer pistol will be a tremendous flop.

THere will be at least a half dozen new rounds released in '06. Most being named after the firearm manufacturer that had the brain storm to begin with.

Glock will not introduce a 1911.

More defunct company names will surface as brands of bigger companies.

Saiga rifles and shotguns will be sold in the US again but at $400 as opposed to the $229 they sold for durring the first intro.

Crue4
December 29, 2005, 05:38 PM
Mine is simple...

I will add a 40 cal and a 45 cal to my collection.

ken grant
December 29, 2005, 06:01 PM
I will cut down on the number of guns I have and spend more time shooting more with fewer guns.
Use the money I receive from the guns and buy more ammo

azredhawk44
December 29, 2005, 06:06 PM
I predict that a lot of people will go around talking about the glories of the "ought-six".

I predict that SA will come out with a commemorative rifle of some sort, either that 1903 (?) bolt action or a M1 Garand.

I predict that I will get a Smith model 629 with a 4" barrel to complement my Redhawk.

I predict that I will probably get a .45acp revolver of some sort.

I predict that I will probably get a .30-06 rifle of some sort.:D

I predict that if the S does not HTF, at least some fecal mist will ooze from somewhere...:scrutiny:

I predict that we will have another terrorist incident, and Bush will be blamed for it. It will be coupled with dubious claims that if we were all just subjects of king George, none of this would have happened.

Correia
December 29, 2005, 06:06 PM
FBMG will proceed with Phase I of it's plan for total GLOBAL DOMINATION!

BWA HA HA HA!

Black Majik
December 29, 2005, 06:10 PM
I predict for 2006 the Glock cult will drink the kool-aid and vanish, thus never bothering us 1911 afficianados again...

No_Brakes23
December 29, 2005, 08:51 PM
For 2006, I predict lots of Garand sales and hoopla over the 30-06. I plan to buy a Danish less wood from CMP and put a Nigerian PG stock on it.

More 1911-clones will come out, but already owning a series 70, I will sin and buy a DAO SIG P226r or P229r for my wife and I to share as the HD pistol.

Cali will add more AR style receivers to its AWB list thus allowing the few fortunate folks who bought CTR02s, STAGs, Fulton FAR-15s and DSA receivers to register them and make them into real AR-15s. Sadly I will most likely not be one of these few fortunate Californians.

Other than that I see mroe firearms and ammo and rangetime for me next year.

...and also I predict I will find some way of mounting a bayonet to every firearm I own (especially the pistols) so that I may offend liberals.

I predict someone will come up with a bayonet which can be attached to a pistol via the flashlight accessory rail. Y'all mean like this?
http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=1&ids=3&idz=171&lang=en
http://www.czub.cz/get_img.php?img=img/CZ_75_SP-01_Tactical_nuz.jpg&width=450

Oh, and Kodiaz, it won't be anyone who is liberal who is offended by your Bayos.

rick_reno
December 29, 2005, 09:35 PM
There won't be any gun related bad legislation in '06 - it's midterm election and our public servants dearly want to keep their snouts firmly planted in the feed bag.

Dionysusigma
December 29, 2005, 09:44 PM
The RX4 will be at the 2006 SHOT show.

The 92FS will be redesigned, including a beefed-up slide, polymer frame, and redesigned grip shape.

Glock will introduce a 1911.

I will acquire an autoloading .243, for no apparent reason. For free. :)

Remington will go out of business.

And, coming 2007, Beretta will introduce... a 1911.

I refuse to say where I learned of this; I will say, however, that it will happen.

Old Dog
December 29, 2005, 09:54 PM
I predict that in 2006 ...

- at least one law enforcement officer will "lose" his or her gun in a public place, i.e., a restroom or it will be stolen from a police vehicle ... and five different THR members will post the same article on this incident in both the Gen Gun and L&P forums the very next morning ...

- at least one law enforcement officer will have a negligent discharge in a public place ...and five different THR members will post the same article on this incident in both the Gen Gun and L&P forums the very next morning ...

- on the cop negligent discharge thread, ten posters will immediately surmise that the firearm in question must have been a Glock ...

- THR will have at least 400 more "Help me make up my mind," "Help me choose between X and Y," and "What gun should I buy for my GF/wife?" threads ...

- If the pistol ever reaches production status, Jan Libourel will review the Taurus PT-1911 in Gun World and his article will, as all his Taurus pieces do, narrate the entire history of Taurus handguns ...

- There will be at least 5 THR threads during the year taking issue with one of Massad Ayoob's columns, articles or books ...

- DoD will place an order with Beretta-USA for an additional 150,000 M-9s to replace aging stock, thereby putting to rest for at least three weeks all the silly rumors about the military going with HKs or S&Ws as the new general issue service pistol ...

fiveoboy01
December 29, 2005, 10:08 PM
Wisconsin's legislature will pass CCW...

Bleeding-heart liberals in Madison will have a heart attack over it...:)

drinks
December 29, 2005, 10:21 PM
It will be the same old same old, the Republicraps will see the rich get richer and the bill of rights gets raped, the Demorats will take more bribes and see the rich get richer and rape the bill of rights more.
So what else is new?:mad:

Bubbles
December 30, 2005, 02:06 PM
I predict that a bill repealing the 1986 machine gun ban will be introduced in Congress... by a Democrat.

antsi
December 30, 2005, 03:30 PM
Near term prediction is gun control will disappear from the public discourse for the 2006 election.

Additional Details:

Pre-election:
Hillary Clinton appears in a photo-op at Camp Perry blazing away with an AR-based service rifle. She declares her lifelong devotion to the Second Ammendment. When questioned about gun control, she replies "What's that? Huh? Never heard of any such."

Post-election:
The democrat-controlled Congress passes "Assault Weapons Ban Mark Two," which defines "assault weapon" as "any object, real or imagined, which bears any resemblance to a firearm in appearance, form, materials, design, construction, or function, or which can be used to inflict real or imagined harm on a life-form." Only Hollywood-based liberal activists and their bodyguards will be allowed to own, possess, touch, discuss, or think about "assault weapons."

VorpalSpork
December 30, 2005, 03:39 PM
Cali will add more AR style receivers to its AWB list thus allowing the few fortunate folks who bought CTR02s, STAGs, Fulton FAR-15s and DSA receivers to register them and make them into real AR-15s.

I predict the opposite. Seeing how useless an AR-15 is with a 10 round fixed magazine, which must be loaded from the top after partially disassembling the gun, as well as an opportunities to further complicate California's firearms regulations, the CA DOJ will not add any new makes and models of AR-15 receivers to the assault weapons list. Late in the year, the market in the free United States will be flooded with lightly used second hand AR-15 receivers, as Californian's give up hope that the stripped AR-15 receivers they purchased will be classified as assault weapons, and begin to sell them off.

CAPTAIN MIKE
December 30, 2005, 05:52 PM
I sadly predict that not enough of us will actually contact our Congressional Representatives regarding the topic of National CCW Reciprocity, and that after it fails to become law, there will be a lot of whining by people who didn't choose to get involved and help it pass.

lee n. field
December 30, 2005, 08:51 PM
I predict that Nebraska will finally get CCW.

Wisconsin's legislature will pass CCW...

I predict that Illinois will become the last state in the union with no provision at all for CCW.

Furthermore, since we're dynamiting fish in a barrel, I predict a Chicago area RINO will run for Illinois governor, and either lose, or be indistinguishable from a Chicago area Devilcrat governor.

yonderway
December 30, 2005, 11:04 PM
The price of 1,000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ ammo will reach $145 average street price. Maybe even $150 by end of year.

Keep in mind a couple years ago it was more like $65-$70, so this cartridge will have more than doubled its street price in just three years.

I predict that this increase in cost, and spotty availability of what was once one of the cheapest centerfire cartridges around, will increase interest and awareness of reloading skills within our community.

Lonestar.45
December 30, 2005, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately, I predict more people on this board asking whether flashbangs and machine guns are good for home defense. And the sad thing is, they're not trolls, but serious.

No_Brakes23
December 31, 2005, 12:27 AM
I predict the opposite. Seeing how useless an AR-15 is with a 10 round fixed magazine, which must be loaded from the top after partially disassembling the gun, as well as an opportunities to further complicate California's firearms regulations, the CA DOJ will not add any new makes and models of AR-15 receivers to the assault weapons list. Late in the year, the market in the free United States will be flooded with lightly used second hand AR-15 receivers, as Californian's give up hope that the stripped AR-15 receivers they purchased will be classified as assault weapons, and begin to sell them off. The DOJ is making noises about mid January. The DOJ has stated the CTR02, STAG, and Fulton lowers are going on the list, but I suspect the Mega Gator that I really want may not end up on the list. But I don't care if they don't add them because I am eventually leaving the state. I will have an AR eventually, so what do I care if I have a lower chillin in the safe for a couple years? I don't have the funds to build it up right now anyway. I really need to concentrate on getting other stuff anyway, (Like ammo, reloading stuff, stuff that IS still legal here, etc, etc, etc.)

Peet
January 1, 2006, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Cosmoline

I feel that this won't happen this year but we will definatly see moves towards that. We have been restricted so much on which guns we can carry, and how many of them we can have in the store at a time it is incredible.Sorry gentlemen - your predictions are too late. Walmart has already removed firearms sales in some stores in MA on a case-by-case basis.

See Hadley and Northampton stores (that I know of) for details.

Peet

pmcbooks
January 1, 2006, 11:13 AM
Based on the rash of shootings with "evil" firearms lately (tec9 and ak), I predict a rare assault on gun restrictions. If not statewide, at least focused very intensely on Indianapolis city area.

Ugh! And I was just posting last week about how decent Indiana/Indianapolis was towards CCW and firearms ownership. :(

You know, you tried to be a pessimist and yet your slip in wording shows your optimism.

I'm taking this one step forward and promoting the stealth passing of the 'Assault ON Weapons Control Act of 2006'

Manedwolf
January 1, 2006, 11:24 AM
I predict that Glock will introduce a Carbine and a 1911. :neener:

Can't do a 1911. A 1911 has to actually have lines and aesthetics that make it look like a 1911. Glock can't do anything that's not blocks. :D

Same reason they can't do a revolver. Can't do a square cylinder!

Manedwolf
January 1, 2006, 11:30 AM
I expect gun shows to become a thing of the past, as they will continue to be blamed for criminals obtaining firearms. I also expect the NICS checks to become more formidable, possibly requiring fingerprints, in the name of "Anti-terrorism" legislation.

I expect gun shows to keep dropping in number not for that reason, but because the vendors at most INSIST on overcharging for what they offer. True, there's some deals, but I more often see things $100-$200 or more than what I can get them for online.

For a lot of people I know, going to a show is just a way to try something out in your hand, then go home and order it online.

I have a PocketPC with internet access from anywhere, and I have gunsamerica and gunslist on it. Hence, at a show, I can pick up something on the table, look at the price, bring up one of the auction sites...and show the vendor what I can get it for online, if they'll match. I think that's fair.

I've not yet had one match a price. So for THAT reason I can see the shows becoming dinosaurs, simple economics...but not for any other reason.

riverdog
January 1, 2006, 11:49 AM
My prediction is that I'll move back to WA from CA. That will seriously effect my gun purchase options. I'll know by the end of Jan 2006.

BTW, Happy New Year to all.

yonderway
January 1, 2006, 12:00 PM
I expect gun shows to keep dropping in number not for that reason, but because the vendors at most INSIST on overcharging for what they offer. True, there's some deals, but I more often see things $100-$200 or more than what I can get them for online.

I think that this is going to reduce the number of tables at shows, but perhaps drive up the values for buyers. This is already happening at some of the regular shows, where you really can get a good deal.

Rob62
January 1, 2006, 12:03 PM
I predict:

Remington - will not go out of business as has been suggested above. Instead Remington will continue to court the Export/LEO/Military market for a bigger share of long guns.

Glock - I do not think that Glock will introduce a 1911 pattern pistol this year, or any other pistol. If anything they will present a shotgun, yup I said shotgun, or carbine at the SHOT show. That is if they have anything new there at all. I also agree that Glock will most likly see another law suit this year. (Idiots just can't grasp the idea that if you press the trigger it will go BANG)

Marlin - We will see some new stuff or modified products from them this year. Stainless steel will be as hot as ever and maybe a new proprietary cartridge or two. In general I believe stainless steel and Polymer are the new blued steel and walnut as far as firearm trends will go :barf:

Taurus - There will be at least 1 really big caliber revolver produced.

Optics in general - I think we will see a continuing trend towards battery operated sights such as EOTECS and other holosights.

CCW - At least 1 state will approve CCW this year, maybe two but I'm not holding my breath on this. Firearms manufacturers will continue to produce handguns aimed at the CCW market - we will see some new short barrel revolvers in this respect.

Heavy barrel "Tactical Bolt Action Guns" - there will be a few new ones made, all of which will have heafty price tags.

.50 Caliber BMG guns - we will see a new push to ban these types of weapons.

The big bargain stores - I predict K Mart will stop selling firearms and ammunition. Not for any political reason but because they go out of business. I also think that a traditional outdoor sports store such as "Dicks" will stop selling firearms and ammunition.

AR15's and their clones - we will continue to see more accessories and add ons to these guns than anyone thought possible.

So that's it. These are my predictions or WAG's.

Happy New Year,
Rob

Highland Ranger
January 1, 2006, 01:04 PM
2006 will be a good year . . . . lots of shooting and buying new guns!

Happy New Year All!

iapetus
January 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
Someone in the UK will shoot someone with an airgun.

UK anti-gun campaigners will cite this as proof that all firearms need to be banned.

Someone on THR will post a link to the relevent news report, citing this as proof that "England is doomed".

However, the UK government will probably find something even more pointless to pass unworkable legislation on instead.

Hopefully, I'll find a gun club not too far from where I'm now living, and actually get to go shooting again.

Manedwolf
January 1, 2006, 01:15 PM
I predict:
The big bargain stores - I predict K Mart will stop selling firearms and ammunition. Not for any political reason but because they go out of business. I also think that a traditional outdoor sports store such as "Dicks" will stop selling firearms and ammunition.
Rob

Already happened in a lot of markets. Kmarts I've seen in Florida and the northeast do not have any firearms, only fishing gear. Sports Authority does not have anything but airsoft toys in the northeast. Wally World only has shotguns, a few 22 rifles and some muzzloaders, and less all the time. If you want a pistol, you need to go to a gun store.

That policy is already in place, so all it has to do is expand.

And something else in your post...a Glock shotgun? I'm just picturing a big polymer rectangle with an oddly-handling grip sticking out of it at a wierd angle...(and yeah, I'm a purist, I shoot metal, I put food in tupperware, not the other way around.)

Manedwolf
January 1, 2006, 01:17 PM
Someone in the UK will shoot someone with an airgun.

UK anti-gun campaigners will cite this as proof that all firearms need to be banned.

Someone on THR will post a link to the relevent news report, citing this as proof that "England is doomed".

However, the UK government will probably find something even more pointless to pass unworkable legislation on instead.

Hopefully, I'll find a gun club not too far from where I'm now living, and actually get to go shooting again.

The UK is already working on banning replicas, even, like the Denix potmetal and resin ones.

MDG1976
January 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'll buy a semi-auto centerfire rifle. Hopefully a Beretta Rx4, but I settle for an AR.

Ric
January 1, 2006, 01:36 PM
I predict Beretta will build a 45ACP model 92 :cool:

I predict that John McCain will try to lead in moderation and fail gloriously :uhoh:

I predict that S&W will make a Scandium PPK/S :rolleyes:

I predict Hillary will pray in public, carry a gun, and talk pro life only to fool noone :neener:

I predict Ruger will make a GP100 in 44 Special :)

I predict S&W will make a gun in 45 GAP :scrutiny:

Ruger will make a 45ACP revolver ;)

I will shoot better and more consistently (and start reloading)

bogie
January 1, 2006, 01:41 PM
I predict that a lot of people will vote for "anyone but a Republican" rather than "against gun control," and we'll get a really nasty situation on capitol hill...

Nematocyst
January 1, 2006, 01:42 PM
Remington - will not go out of business as has been suggested above. Instead Remington will continue to court the Export/LEO/Military market for a bigger share of long guns. Not to divert the thread from predictions to Remington problems, but...

Am I missing something? I've only seen two references on THR to alleged Remington business problems (or not), both on this thread.

Is the company in trouble? Why?

Pointers to another thread where this is already being discussed aprreciated.

Nem

R.W.Dale
January 1, 2006, 02:18 PM
Not to divert the thread from predictions to Remington problems, but...

Am I missing something? I've only seen two references on THR to alleged Remington business problems (or not), both on this thread.

Is the company in trouble? Why?

Pointers to another thread where this is already being discussed aprreciated.

Nem

Remington has put all of thier eggs in one little wal-mart shaped basket for for the past few years, If wally world goes ahead and nixes firearms and ammunition sales big green will go belly up in short order. Especally in light of the fact that profits have been very hard for remington to come by these past few years.

Rob62
January 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
Nematocyst-870,

There have been many rumors about Big Green's demise. Some of them warranted, some not. Everything I've read about the subject is very subjective and open to wide interpretation.

A lot of the focus is on how Remington's quality control has gone down hill over the years.
I have no inside information about Remington's future but keep the faith that America's oldest firearms maker will still make firearms long after I'm gone. Maybe wishfull thinking, maybe not, I certainly hope so.

To get the thread back on track. I heard that Rossi is supposed to be comming out with something new and exciting this year. Probably another lever action rifle - maybe even a BIG bore.

Happy New Year,
Rob

Nematocyst
January 1, 2006, 02:25 PM
Krochus and Rob, thanks for the info.
I'll plan to do a bit more reading about that issue.

Nem

Robert J McElwain
January 1, 2006, 03:04 PM
I predict that Illinois will become the last state in the union with no provision at all for CCW..

Nope, that honor is reserved for us hayseeds in Kansas.

Also, I predict that the Libertarian Party will continue to improve at the polls. It's becoming the only choice available.

Bob

MatthewVanitas
January 1, 2006, 03:18 PM
In general I believe stainless steel and Polymer are the new blued steel and walnut as far as firearm trends will go :barf:

Q: Why did the cowboys/pioneers/GreatestGeneration/FoundingFathers use blued steel and walnut?

A: Because they didn't have stainless steel and polymer. They probably would have loved stainless steel and polymer.

Just my 2 pence,

-MV

TrapdoorBilly
January 1, 2006, 03:19 PM
Hillary Clinton will join SASS. She will take the name "Little anti Terror". SASS members will be a little suspect about her motives, at first. They, of course will come to love her, after she brokers the deal between the purists and the cheaters.

When she joins SASS, SASS can take my life membership and stick it up their. Well, you get the idea.

USNCHIEF
January 1, 2006, 03:23 PM
I predict.......now that I am back into shooting......I may get divorced...if I purchase the guns I want.....gotta buy them quick because I am getting old.

The question is.....Wife?...or....Guns???......Errrrrrr...I think I know the answer!!

TrapdoorBilly
January 1, 2006, 03:25 PM
Remington has put all of thier eggs in one little wal-mart shaped basket for for the past few years, If wally world goes ahead and nixes firearms and ammunition sales big green will go belly up in short order. Especally in light of the fact that profits have been very hard for remington to come by these past few years.

Almost totally agree. I think that they have only put about 95% eggs in the WAL*MART basket as they still offer dealer direct, but I think 2005 was our last year of trying to sell their cheapened products. It's a shame, I did some work for them in the 80's and early 90's while they were still part of duPont. Great company and great bunch of guys at the time. Can't say the same now.

GlenJ
January 1, 2006, 03:28 PM
I will get a Romanian and Albanian SKS to round out my SKS collection.

I will get an AK-74 (probably a Hungarian underfolder) since 7.62 ammo is reaching 5.45 prices and I just want one.

Kel-Tec will come out with a single stack 9MM that will require trips back to the factory and so much ammo to make reliable that staying with my P3AT will be the right move.

The Democrats will take back the House and Senate, draw up another AWB that GW will sign. Then the GOP mouthpieces on the radio will tell everyone how it's a good thing and all there Kool Aid drinking fans will agree.

I will ask a gun dealer at a show if he thinks people are stupid enough to pay double the price for things like the $25 dollar AK/SKS sight tool I saw at a show yesterday.

GunnySkox
January 1, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ooh! Ooh! I heard that Ares Defense is going to be producing and shipping Shrikes in 2006!

*snrk*

No, seriously!

*mmph*

Really. By the thousands. They'll even work!

*gnrk..*

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!

Hoo! That felt pretty good.

~GnSx

loose cannon
January 1, 2006, 04:11 PM
i predict in honor of the 30.06's 100 bday ill have a stainless and polymer m1 garand built.and if i have enough dineros to swing it;SOCOM 16 TIME!

on a positive note nebraska gets right to carry, wisconsin would be icing on the cake.

in nov we trade in our occaisional anti-gunners for the full time out of our worse nightmare from clinton hell anti-gunners.then,,,,,,,

standard capacity mags become once again a hot item.

KriegHund
January 1, 2006, 04:20 PM
I predict the anti-gunners will continue to make small, state-wide moves, aiming at small anti-gun bills. I predict they will save the nasty stuff for the presidential elections.

I predict that republicans will continue to fall out of favor, but that democrats will still get only their die-hard votes. I predict the other people will vote republican even though they dont represent them anymore.

I predict that i will get an AK-47 or SKS for my birthday this year.

utahminirevolver
January 1, 2006, 06:51 PM
I predict that Canadians will throw the Liberal rascals out of control in Ottawa this January election, partly due to the Prime Minister's promise to ban handguns as a 'solution' to Toronto's gangsta problem. Even many hard-core leftists can now see clearly how useless and cynical this ploy is, especially since the outrageous killing of a 15 yr-old girl Dec. 26 by out of control drug gangs shooting it out in a shopping district downtown in broad daylight.

mountainclmbr
January 1, 2006, 07:02 PM
I predict that little boys will need to have their thumbs amputated before entering 1st grade so even if they do play cops and robbers, their "guns" cannot shoot.

Waitone
January 1, 2006, 07:35 PM
I predict that little boys will need to have their thumbs amputated before entering 1st grade so even if they do play cops and robbers, their "guns" cannot shoot. Naaah. You got it all wrong. To disable a gun you cut off the barrel, not the hammer. They'll cut off the boy's index finger. :(

No_Brakes23
January 1, 2006, 11:12 PM
Q: Why did the cowboys/pioneers/GreatestGeneration/FoundingFathers use blued steel and walnut?

A: Because they didn't have stainless steel and polymer. They probably would have loved stainless steel and polymer.

Just my 2 pence,

-MV +1. I love my blued steel series 70 1911, but I have what my dad referes to as "rusty paws." So from now on, if a good stainless finish is availible, that is what I get. Polymer I could take or leave, but I don't see anyone making a steel SU-16CA. Some folks just can't stand synthetic material, even though there is a huge dif between 60's era Zytel and modern synthetics.

If you enjoyed reading about "2006 Gun-Related Predictions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!