Maglite going LED

PDA

Sportcat
December 28, 2005, 10:42 PM
http://www.maglite.com/LED_technology.asp

If you enjoyed reading about "Maglite going LED" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
December 28, 2005, 10:49 PM
They'll probably be as crappy as mag's incandescents.

DigMe
December 29, 2005, 01:04 AM
Hopefully they'll do it right with Luxeons in the bigguns. I suspect the small ones will just be standard multi-LED setups.

brad cook

Optical Serenity
December 29, 2005, 04:24 AM
Yikes, their lights are terrible, so I'm almost afraid to see what they do to poor LED's. Hopefully a 5 watt LED in a 6 D-Cell flashlight body. That would be interesting if combined with the right reflector. But meh, I'm daydreaming.

Mad Chemist
December 29, 2005, 04:44 AM
Finally!
I've wanted a solid club that doubles as a decent flashlight for quite a while.:rolleyes: :D

gudel
December 29, 2005, 06:13 AM
I have the 6D and 4D. I would like to see the LED for this. Maybe they can convert it for me?

VWTim
December 30, 2005, 03:15 AM
Any of your maglites can be converted to LED's. I have 2 running Lux3's, one is a direct drive single LED in a 3D mag, with ~80 lumens output. I also have a tri-lux3 in a 2D mag, puts out about 240 lumens.
Check out www.candlepowerforums.com or hit me up for any questions.

ScottsGT
December 30, 2005, 11:41 AM
Wal-Mart sells a 3 LED conversion for $5.00 for the AA lights. Bought one last week. Works real good, and not bad for $5, but not much brighter than the standard AA bulb.
Lowes sells one for $9.00 that has a new tail cap with an on/off switch.

gudel
December 30, 2005, 05:05 PM
Any of your maglites can be converted to LED's. I have 2 running Lux3's, one is a direct drive single LED in a 3D mag, with ~80 lumens output. I also have a tri-lux3 in a 2D mag, puts out about 240 lumens.
Check out www.candlepowerforums.com or hit me up for any questions.

how much does it cost to convert to those things? even at 240 lumens from the 6D would be nice.

VWTim
December 31, 2005, 01:22 AM
The easiest mod is to run a single Lux3 LED. Output is ~80 lumens, with hours of runtime. This mod can be easily done to a 3D maglight, or to a 2D, that's been setup to run on 3 C batteries. The 3D setup, will get over 16 hours of runtime, non-stop without dimming on a set of Alkaline batteries. You can build one of these for about $30, plus the cost of the Mag host and batteries.

The 240 lumen, is running 3 Lux3's, I have about $100 into this light, although it's my basic goto utility light around the house.

hth,

JohnKSa
December 31, 2005, 01:40 AM
The 3D and 6D maglites can be upgraded to the 3W Luxeon and 5W Luxeon respectively with just a bulb change. The replacement takes the place of the bulb and the screw-on bulb keeper. That means that you can put the bulb keeper in the tailcap with the spare incandescent and still be in business if something were to go wrong with the LED replacement bulb on some dark night. It also means you get to retain the focusing capability of the maglite host.

The 3W Lux bulb is about $50 and the 5W is about $75. LED life is not as spectacular as with the lower powered LED bulbs, but it's still quite an improvement over incandescents.

I got a 3W upgrade bulb for Christmas and it's definitely an improvement over the standard bulb. I have a 6D that I carry in the car and I'm thinking of getting a 5W Lux to put it in just for the heck of it.

From what I've been able to gather, you get about 24-26 lumens of output per watt with the Luxeon LEDs, but they seem much brighter than that. I think part of it is the fact that the light is VERY white. There's none of the yellow tinge you normally get with an incandescent.

Of course, if you REALLY want some horsepower, check out black bear's flashlights in the accessories for sale section. Close to 1000 lumens from a 3D maglite. Not cheap, but not too bad if you calculate it in lumens per dollar. ;)

VWTim
December 31, 2005, 03:32 PM
Regarding the lumens/watt, that may be relatively true for what the drop in's are offering, but Lumen output varies by the actual BIN code Lumiled's rates the Luxeon's. They rate them for output then assign a BIN code. Meaning a U BIN has more output than a T BIN, which has more than a S BIN.
Also Blackbear's lights are nice, but IMO for most uses overkill. I have several hotwire Magmods, that are fun...but you really don't need that much light, and sometimes it's so much it's overpowering.

The nice thing with a single Lux3 in is the runtime, 16+ hours off 3 D cell Alkalines. My 8-900 Lumen Mag85 only runs for 45 minutes on a charge.

JohnKSa
December 31, 2005, 03:45 PM
lumens/watt, that may be relatively true for what the drop in's are offeringI don't really have any experience with the loose LEDs, but your explanation of the "grading" process makes a lot of sense. Based on my experience with other electronic parts, that sounds exactly correct.Blackbear's lights are nice, but IMO for most uses overkillOverkill was what I was going for! It's great for lighting up a whole room or the entire back yard at once, but it's not such a good option for looking under the kitchen sink to find something. But then again, I've got lots of less overpowering flashlights around the house (including the one that's always in my pocket) for smaller tasks .

Honestly, runtime isn't so critical for me. I rarely run batteries down except in my pocket flashlight. I generally replace batteries in the other flashlights after a few years to prevent them from leaking and ruining the flashlight.

crucible
December 31, 2005, 07:04 PM
I have a 3W Luxeon in a Maglite 3d body that makes a great (decently bright too) utility light that won't burn out, with an incredibly long runtime.

I also have and recommend the MagCharger, their incandescent rechargeable. It's very, very bright stock, uses a metal reflector, has good runtime, is fairly rugged, and is simply a doggone good light in it's stock form. (Which can be made significantly brighter with an $8 WA bulb upgrade, at the cost of reduced runtime...unless one upgrades the batteries...and then....) I think I picked up mine on Ebay for $65 new.

Maglite's largest problem is they've been stagnent when they could have taken thier postion in the market and been the leader. LED Maglites, as well as other advances, are long overdue from them and I dare say maybe even too late.

C-

If you enjoyed reading about "Maglite going LED" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!