Don't cut your neighbor's grass without body armor.

PDA

GRIFFIN1
December 29, 2005, 04:36 AM
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051225/NEWS03/512250314/1002

By Francis McCabe
francismccabe@gannett.com

A 43-year-old Shreveport man was killed Friday because he was cutting his neighbor's grass, according to Shreveport police.

Calvin Moore was shot five times with a .45-caliber handgun just before 6 p.m. in the 200 block of Herndon Street after neighbor Johnny Lee O'Neal confronted him for mowing O'Neal's lawn, authorities said.

When O'Neal told Moore to stop, Moore started toward O'Neal with the lawn mower, showing its blades, police said. O'Neal then fired his gun, police said.

Moore was taken to LSU Hospital in Shreveport, where he died of his wounds.

O'Neal was arrested soon after police arrived. He was booked into Caddo Correctional Center on a charge of second-degree murder. His bond was pending.

Moore's death marks the third homicide in Shreveport in a week and the city's 44th homicide this year, four more than recorded in all of 2004.

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't cut your neighbor's grass without body armor." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kage genin
December 29, 2005, 04:50 AM
Am I alone in reading this thinking "How TF did that happen?":scrutiny:

So many unanswered questions from so few details. Why was the guy mowing somebody else's lawn? Were the lawn owner and the lawn mower in some kind of dispute? I think we could shoot the bull over this one for awhile...

chopinbloc
December 29, 2005, 04:54 AM
Moore was taken to LSU Hospital in Shreveport, where he died of his ... stupidity

there, fixed.

okay, so he attacks the man with a lawn mower (qualifies as a fear of grievous bodily harm or death if i've ever heard one), gets shot for it and they charge the victim? i thought louisiana had good self defense laws. guess they're leaning more towards LA. ha! get it? LA? 'cause... oh, well.

Ryder
December 29, 2005, 04:57 AM
The guy defends himself against motorized machetes and gets charged with murder? Sounds like self-defense to me. Good luck with that jury!

grimjaw
December 29, 2005, 05:01 AM
Not nearly enough information to make a call.

When O'Neal told Moore to stop, Moore started toward O'Neal with the lawn mower, showing its blades,

Was lawnmower even running at this point? Much easier to lean back a lawnmower to move it forward sometimes, especially through heavy grass. Also, he might have tilted the thing back to avoid cutting a garden hose or clipping rocks, or who the heck knows? Maybe the shooter just made something up to CHA.

Need details.

jmm

GRIFFIN1
December 29, 2005, 05:03 AM
This happend in the city I live in, but I haven't heard anything more than what was stated in the article.

HighVelocity
December 29, 2005, 05:39 AM
We've got to ban lawn mowers! It's for the children.

Seriously though, why do we need lawn mowers when we're overrun with sheep?

Taurus 66
December 29, 2005, 05:49 AM
We, like the media, are not the jury. We do not have sufficient evidence from this short clip to say the shooter was justified in defending himself to the level of deadly force.

Joejojoba111
December 29, 2005, 06:28 AM
The owner could have easily made the story up. But it's the trespasser's fault for trespassing, and he gave the shooter a very good excuse. It's the trespasser's fault for trespassing, and it's his fault for giving the other guy a good reason (or excuse) to shoot him.

shaldag
December 29, 2005, 07:15 AM
I'm just wondering how you could convince your neighbor to mow your lawn?
:D

Mongo the Mutterer
December 29, 2005, 07:36 AM
"I told you to set that mower deck at 3 inches... you've scalped my lawn.... Bang, etc."

Too little information. Sounds like a feud.

Janitor
December 29, 2005, 07:43 AM
As has already been pointed out, imopssible to do anything but guess given the (lack of) detail in the story. I'm guessing an already strained relationship that had an argument over too long a lawn blew up in their faces.

Sidebar:
Calvin Moore was shot five times with a .45-caliber handgun just before 6 p.m. in the 200 block of Herndon Street ...
---
Moore was taken to LSU Hospital in Shreveport, where he died of his wounds.
Somebody want to remember and quote this the next time somebody starts a 'stopping power' thread? Five rounds from a .45 and he still had tme to make it to the hospital! We all know there's no magic bullet - here's more proof.
-

Ridge
December 29, 2005, 08:02 AM
Hey if somebody had enough nerve about them to ever....and I mean EVER cut my grass!!!!!...I'd just leave them alone,and show them any spots they might've missed.

I wish I had that problem with my neighbor Joel.

Joel:"I'm going to cut your grass and there's nothing you can do to stop me"

Me:"K....after you finished the mowing could you do me another really big favor and trim around the house,,,,oh and thanks man you're a real life saver"

Declaration Day
December 29, 2005, 08:44 AM
My guess is that he was fed up with his neighbor not cutting his grass. I also think this was probably some sort of feud that had been going on for a while.

It shouldn't be too hard to outrun a man pushing a lawnmower, go in the house and call the police. I'd rather do that than have to live with the fact that I've killed somebody, even if I was acquitted of murder.

I wasn't there, and the details are sketchy, but at this point I am calling it a bad shoot.

williamlayton
December 29, 2005, 09:03 AM
Some folks are just too anal about grass, well let me be specific, some folks are just too anal about San Augustine grass.:)
I do have friends who live in some S/D's that are VERY particular about how a yard is kept.
That does not seem to be the case here though.
Folks have need to tend to their own business, though, I would tend too have issues with a neighbor who would not keep his property under control. I hope I could find a better way than to take charge of his lawn myownself.
Folks are touchy this time of year what with cabin fever and the pressures of the season. Be careful out there folks.
Blesssings

VirgilCaine
December 29, 2005, 09:28 AM
Personally, I would complain to the man that they are putting my Hispanic landscapers out of work.

Kramer Krazy
December 29, 2005, 09:40 AM
My neighbor and I would take turns mowing the section of grass between our two driveways. Whoever mowed their lawn first, would mow that section. It was just something we did and something that was never spoken. We did it for 8 years, until they moved away. As for mowing a neighbor's lawn....

In July of 2000, I broke my right leg in a motorcycle accident and stayed with my parents, 2.5 hours from my home. My neighbor mowed my lawn for me (without me even asking)......I went on a two week bike trip in 2001 and got a friend to mow my lawn........I was once too busy to mow my lawn due to a few weeks of extreme overtime and weekend commitments (or weekend rain), and my neighbor voluntarily mowed my lawn at least once......My neighbors moved out and their lawn got to be 2+ feet tall. I got tired of looking at it and mowed sections of their lawn at least 6 times this last year (actually, the bank owns the home, now).....In the fall, I often mulch the leaves in a section of my other neighbor's lawn. I figure the leaves came from my two huge Bradford Pear trees, so I take care of the leaves.....There are several reasons why a neighbor may mow your lawn....or part of it.

TallPine
December 29, 2005, 10:58 AM
Never bring a lawnmower to a gun fight ;)

(well, somebody had to say that)

one-shot-one
December 29, 2005, 11:33 AM
Hey if somebody had enough nerve about them to ever....and I mean EVER cut my grass!!!!!...I'd just leave them alone,and show them any spots they might've missed.

Me:"K....after you finished the mowing could you do me another really big favor and trim around the house,,,,oh and thanks man you're a real life saver"

+1:D

newfalguy101
December 29, 2005, 12:03 PM

I would even go so far as to arrange it so I am gone while he cuts my lawn, just so I dont shoot at him when he misses a spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CraigJS
December 29, 2005, 12:10 PM
Sounds like two swimmers in the shallow end of the genetic pool!
I know in Minnesota it would be a real trick to pull off self defence in this case!

Optical Serenity
December 29, 2005, 01:07 PM

I have an awesome neighbor, he mowed my lawn once when it had went past normal levels. He knows I'm always rushing out in uniform and getting just a few hours of sleep between being on duty and court time... Sometimes, something so simple can put a huge smile on someone's face.

Spot77
December 29, 2005, 01:18 PM
Seriously though, why do we need lawn mowers when we're overrun with sheep?

THAT is the most funny thing I'v read in days! :evil:

Bobarino
December 29, 2005, 01:24 PM
jeez, if i found my neighbor mowing my lawn i'd bring him a cold beer and a hearty thank you. i'd maybe take him shooting at the range but shoot him? funny way of thanking a guy.

Bobby

gremlin_bros
December 29, 2005, 01:28 PM
Am I alone in reading this thinking "How TF did that happen?":scrutiny:

yeah and id be just a mean as i could to the guy buy taking him out a beer or iced tea when he finished as well thatll teach him. the neighbors law mowing sob how dare he do somthing nice for me dang him.

Arkie
December 29, 2005, 01:57 PM
Maybe it was the Neighbors Other Grass! "Wacky Tabaccy" :eek:

LittleSureShot1994
December 29, 2005, 02:34 PM
I'm shocked about what happened. I don't know if he should of shot the guy or shouldn't have............. :what:
Because the guy mowing the lawn shouldn't of been showing the blades to the other and that guy shouldn't of shot the guy.

cslinger
December 29, 2005, 02:35 PM
I just want to make it abundently clear. Should any local High Roaders want to drop buy to cut my grass you have ABSOLUTELY NO FEAR of being shot. I might hug you and bring you a six pack but there will be no violence at all. The closest you might get is a box of .45 ammo for your trouble.

That address is.....................

xds&gsps
December 29, 2005, 03:00 PM
I know in Minnesota it would be a real trick to pull off self defence in this case!

Especially in the dead of winter. :)

Taurus 66
December 29, 2005, 04:26 PM
Neighbor: "I'm gonna cut your grass and there's not a damn thing you can do about it!"

Me: "You'd better just stay on your property, if you know what's good for you!!!"

Neighbor: "Oh YEAH?!"

Me: "YEAH!"

Neighbor cuts my entire yard, all sides.

Me: "You got away with that one this time, but I'd better not EVER catch you trimming the hedges, washing the dishes, doing the laundry (including ironing & folding), washing & waxing the car, walking the dog, picking up Johnny from baseball practice and bringing him home ..... IF you know what's good for you."

Car Knocker
December 29, 2005, 06:03 PM
It's amazing how many people on here can make definitive statements regarding guilt or innocence based on a brief newspaper article of dubious veracity that is in turn likely based on one participant's version of an incident that may well put him in prison.

Carlos
December 29, 2005, 06:36 PM
and YOUR point is?

I think the story is BS.

Car Knocker
December 29, 2005, 07:33 PM
Thought it was pretty clear:D

EddieCoyle
December 29, 2005, 08:14 PM

You owe me a keyboard.

Parker Dean
December 29, 2005, 08:25 PM

Tell me about it. All I get are crayon-drawn notes in the mailbox saying "Mow Your Yard".

And yeah, I think the attacked by lawnmower story sounds like a bunch of horsehockey. Sounds like feud, probably over property lines and the victim was likely in the disputed area.

Sindawe
December 29, 2005, 08:26 PM
Never bring a lawnmower to a gun fightUnless its one of these (http://www.flyingthingz.com/products/skycutter_green.html), then your opponents can laugh themselves to death.

Kidding aside. Lesson here is "Don't mess with other people's property"

Jet22
December 29, 2005, 08:57 PM
I just want to make it abundently clear. Should any local High Roaders want to drop buy to cut my grass you have ABSOLUTELY NO FEAR of being shot. I might hug you and bring you a six pack but there will be no violence at all. The closest you might get is a box of .45 ammo for your trouble.

I was kinda thinkin the same thing...only after you mow my lawn I'll get out a couple of handguns and some ammo and we'll drink a beer and shoot from my deck for a while. I'll even buy the beer!:D

Preacherman
December 29, 2005, 08:59 PM
Hmmm... If I inform on a guy who shoots his neighbor for cutting his lawn, does that make me a "supergrass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergrass)"?

:neener: :evil: :D

Arkie
December 29, 2005, 09:01 PM
I Want One of Those!!!!
Where's my credit card!!! :)

HD
December 29, 2005, 10:38 PM
i'd say both of them were cutting it a little too close....:neener:

jsalcedo
December 29, 2005, 10:55 PM
Back in the mid 70's we lived in a fairly nice neighborhood in overland park kansas. Our neighbor was a hippy who refused to cut his grass because he could hear it "scream".

My dad was trying to keep the property values up so he offered to cut the mans grass for him so he wouldn't have to hear the screaming.

The hippy refused and stated mowing grass is torture and murder and stated he would shoot anyone trying to cut his grass.

Luckily it never came to that... We moved shortly after.

MechAg94
December 29, 2005, 11:43 PM
I am thinking that shooting a man is normally excessive force for a lawnmower attack at least at first. I would think my neighbor would have to lunge at me a few times with the lawnmower before I would believe he was attacking. My impression from the article was that the guy turned toward him with mower tilted up and the guy shot him. I am thinking there is something else going on and/or this story is BS. I just can't see that my response would be to shoot someone in that instance.

Why did he walk outside with a .45 anyway? Did he normally carry everywhere or did he walk outside with the gun in his hand for other reasons? If this story is to be believed, he pulled out a gun and the guy with the lawnmover just kept coming?

Next time just find some rocks to run over.

hillbilly
December 30, 2005, 01:13 AM
Stuff like this is exactly why I live on a 30-acre rural, wooded compound down a dirt road.

Nobody cares if I cut my grass or not.

I don't even rake the leaves out of the yard.

Heck, I can, if I want to, sit on my front porch naked, drinking beer, and firing at stray dogs with a Napoleon 8-pounder cannon, and nobody would care.

That is, so long as no cannon balls hit in their yard, or took out one of their cows.

I've got a couple of neighbors who, upon hearing the cannon fire, would probably come over with more beer, more powder, and couple more stray dogs to shoot at.

Now, all I have to do is come up with enough cash for a Napoleon cannon......

hillbilly

Sindawe
December 30, 2005, 02:27 AM
Now, all I have to do is come up with enough cash for a Napoleon cannon......Well, if you're short of cash, get a good stout log and make a wooden cannon. http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/html/lightning_strikes_tongue_pierc.html :evil:

Mongo the Mutterer
December 30, 2005, 07:31 AM
Heck, I can, if I want to, sit on my front porch naked, drinking beer, and firing at stray dogs with a Napoleon 8-pounder cannon, and nobody would care. Lil nippy right now for the naked bit, isn't it...?:eek:

6inch
December 30, 2005, 10:49 AM
In keeping with cutting the neighbors grass theme.

Last year we had a power outage (nearly two weeks) due to a hurricane. The weather was hot and the elderly neighbors moved to their sons home that had power.

The neighbor is in his 80's but keeps his two acre yard well cared for. After about 10-12 days his yard looked like hell so I though I'd spend the day cleaning the storm debris and cut/trim their yard so when they came back it would be nice looking and one less thing they would have to do.

The power was restored soon after and upon their return the old guy was over here in a shot. He jumped dead in my chit! "What the hell do you think you were doing? I can cut my own damn yard!!". I tried to explain why I did what I did but he was having none of it.

I remember thinking, as the old guy was walking back to his truck, that I sure was glad he didn't keep firearms. :rolleyes:

BTW. Despite the above we get along great now but you can bet your a$$ I'll never cut a blade of his grass again. :)

SLCDave
December 30, 2005, 12:13 PM
He could have just shot the motor on the mower and ended the threat.

nfl1990
December 30, 2005, 01:40 PM
Maybe it was the Neighbors Other Grass! "Wacky Tabaccy"

:D ;)

Correia
December 30, 2005, 01:48 PM
Why does this make me think of an early Peter Jackson movie?

yonderway
December 30, 2005, 02:00 PM
My guess is that he was fed up with his neighbor not cutting his grass. I also think this was probably some sort of feud that had been going on for a while.

If this is the case, deadly force would not have been justified.

A water pistol full of piss might be good, though.

I :cuss: hate lawn nazis.

JohnKSa
December 30, 2005, 04:54 PM
sit on my front porch naked, drinking beer, and firing at stray dogs with a Napoleon 8-pounder cannon, and nobody would care.What about the dogs you MISS? Think of the trauma caused by being shot at by a naked man with a cannon. It would be bad enough if that was the last thing you ever saw, but imagine having to live on with that picture in your head... :D

Sleeping Dog
December 30, 2005, 10:49 PM

There's so many things to not bring to a gun fight, how do you keep up with it all? It's too much to memorize, I'm gonna need a computer. Wait, never bring a computer to ... aw, I'll never get this.

Lawn mowers should be very effective against zombies, though, so keep it handy just in case.

Regards.

Strings
December 31, 2005, 04:18 PM
>I might hug you<

Ok... am I the only one who will now NEVER offer to mow CSlinger's lawn? :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't cut your neighbor's grass without body armor." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!