Smith&Wesson Model 627 8-shot

PDA

JesseJames
December 29, 2005, 01:18 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this particular firearm?
It's a .357 magnum and is really worth the price that S&W charges.
It's from the hi-performance line.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith&Wesson Model 627 8-shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rmgunsmith
December 29, 2005, 04:51 PM
Jesse,

I have one of these and it is really a great revolver. I have performed a trigger job to accomodate rapid fire shooting and it really works well. I believe that Jerry Miculek uses this particlular gun in his rapid fire shooting demonstrations. I would highly recommend this performance center handgun.

Bill B.
December 29, 2005, 06:26 PM
It's by far and away the best revolver I have ever owned! I have owned or still own most of the popular S&W's made and this is still my favorite! I have only shot one 357 that I think was it's equal; a friends 1960 vintage Colt Python 6". I have said this before but if I was going to limit myself to just one handgun it would be my S&W 627 PC 8 Times!

Tman
December 29, 2005, 09:03 PM
I have a S&W 627 3" performance center V-comp. Smooth as butter trigger, and with the compensator, shooting 357's are a pleasure (I don't think people like standing near me though :eek: ). However, I am mostly a semiautos guy.

campbellcj
December 30, 2005, 02:54 AM
I love mine as well! It is super accurate, and easily manageable (even for a newbie like me) w/ full magnum loads.

LeadPumper
December 30, 2005, 09:06 AM
The S&W PC guns are some of the best (genrally speaking) non-custom guns I've pulled a trigger on (I think of them as semi-custom). As with any product, I have found some lemons, but the PC shop does turn out some fine work.

Here's my 627-5 (yes it has the stupid lock) with Miculek grips. It's fast shooting, accurate, easy to reload (moon clips), and smooth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/jgelner/Other/SW627-5PC.jpg

I have several PC revolvers from S&W. Of all of them, the 627 is my favorite.

-LeadPumper

Smurfslayer
December 30, 2005, 01:28 PM
Leadpumper: THAT is what Jerry would do! :D :D

http://www.bighammer.net/

I've used my 627 in ICORE matches with full power .357's, videos on my 627 page... When I say 'full power', I mean full. Not PD ammo, I mean full power, maximum payload of H110 the book says is safe. Even so, the 627 soaks up the recoil and just keeps on ticking. And it's STILL accurate.

Is it worth the extra $$$? That's a question only you have the answer to. Would I buy another one? Probably. Do I like my 627?

Does a bear ***** in the woods? ;)

Does my 627 get shot a lot? oh yeah.

If you're thinking about it, I say get it and don't look back. No better way to start off the new year.

tc300mag1
January 16, 2006, 08:53 PM
I just ordered a 627 Vcomp what brass are you guys finding works best with the moon Clips?

Dumb question i see in leadpumpers pic he has speed loaders so can you use the 627's with out the moonclips?

Smurfslayer
January 17, 2006, 04:13 PM
The 'stock' moon clips are not as secure as they could be, which severely compromises reloads. If you get the match moon clips, which are just a hair thicker, they will hold the cartridges much more rigidly, but can only be used with Starline or Remington brass. For competition, I make sure that the moon clip holders are all holding match moon clips, and on the load / make ready I use one of the 'other' moon clips.

<Homer>
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......

V-Comp.....
:cool:

</Homer>

Capo
February 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
I agree with mike4guns regarding the PC people ... :mad:

But I still love this 627 and enjoy shooting it. It's a keeper and feels great with Pachmayr grips. ... :)

For me, it's worth the price.

Evyl Robot
February 5, 2008, 11:34 PM
My wife just purchased herself a PC "8-times" at the gunrange that we frequent. On Friday, we went to shoot it, and something bizarre happened. We put a total of 32 rounds through it, and I noticed a chip in the frame. We haven't shot it since then, and when she showed it to the salesman, he said that he wanted their in-house gunsmith to take a look at it. Naturally, the gunsmith had already gone home for the day, and we have not had a chance to make it back up there since then. The damage in the frame really bothers me (especially for the price!!!). I mean, I've had some nightmares about it since then - literally! I'm poking the wife with a stick right now for motivation (not literally). I'm trying to get her to take some pics of the gun's damage/flaw so I can post them on a separate thread and get you guys' opinion of it.

Revolver Ocelot
February 6, 2008, 12:03 AM
I use to own a v-comp version of this same revolver (sold it for financial reasons and hope to buy another someday) and it is a fantastic revolver I would recomend this revolver to anyone that has any interest in it, as for the price I got mine on gunsamerica for $900 from a dealer that has them constantly listed and constantly in stock on there.

Stainz
February 6, 2008, 07:44 AM
I did a little 'horse trading' to get this one a few years ago - my best-ever trade. It has the very best trigger of any of my revolvers - and never a ftf - with any ammo. The former owner shot bowling pins with heavy .38's - my idea of a 'proper' .357M load wouldn't make anyone's +P .38 rating. I must admit, getting appropriate cases in the moonclips is a pain - my 625's and their 'clipped .45 ACPs have spoiled me. I can't wait to consider a new '08 production 4" 627 (x8) to add to my collection (I have two 5" .357Ms and a 6" .357M - nothing shorter!).

My JM PC627 V-Comp ('02):
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0282_edited.jpg

Stainz

craig_o
February 8, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's my favorite gun of my Dad's to shoot.

I'm no target shooter and I'm not trying to claim that I'm a conessuier of firearms. I don't even know for sure if I can spell conessuier correctly.

The 627 is FUN to shoot. It's very soft with .38s and fun with .357s. the DA trigger isn't bad and the SA trigger is what I'd call crisp. I've got small to average hands and it fits fine. My Dad's are beefier, and he doesn't have any problems.

DragonFire
February 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
I found mine likes Winchester brass the best. I tried shooting it with a mix of brass and it was a nightmare to reload with the moonclips. After reading several forums, I experimented and Winchester won out.

It's a great gun to shoot, even with full power .357 loads.

RancidSumo
February 8, 2008, 03:15 PM
What does the V-Comp do?

mc_coy
February 9, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hi all, first post here.

My mind keeps hovering above the 627 like a vulture above a dying body.

I'm just waiting for my (weapons) license to be released, then the vulture (myself) will get and grab (buy) the revolver.

It is just that it looks like the perfect compromise. 5" barrel. Accurate, Very good action, 8 shots, very few cons. And a real beauty, makes Miss America pale by comparison (not that I've ever seen her, nor do I mind - steel & lumber is better!).

After a whole month of web surfing around the gun fora, the 627 just sounds like the best revolver in .357 mag. Leaving aside the price issue. And the portability (not too great for CCW.

I'd take the V-comp (rancid Sumo, it's a compensator supposed to reduce felt recoil) even better the 2-tones unfluted, or the best of the two worlds, two-tones silver & black V-Comp if they were available in my place.

Don't have a chance to grab it for a test but it seems unnecessary.

mike4guns
February 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
nice grip leadpumper , real nice. i like the finger groov rosewood but that is a faster draw . where did you get it. i pick up my 2nd try at the pc627. already confirmed that it's 100%. can't wait.:) CAPO , HOWS EVERYTHING GOIN? DON"T LOOSE ANY SLEEP , IT WILL BE OK. TELL PC SHOP YOU GOT IT THAT WAY> THEY CAN"T SAY YOUR WRONG BECAUSE MY FIRST SEND BACK 627PC WAS TOTALLY PUT TOGETHER WRONG AND IT GOT BY THEM < YOUR CHIP CERTAINLY COULD HAVE)

Capo
February 12, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hey mike4guns!!!

Think you have me mixed up with Evyl. He has a chip in his frame.

But I'm having problems with mine too. It's going back to S&W tomorrow. Hope they do the job right this time keep your fingers crossed.

I have a Python too (two of them :D). If I had to choose just one, I'd keep the Python. But I have to say that I sure enjoy shooting the 627 more - for some odd reason can't figure out why. . :confused:

Bottom line is that you just have to have at least one of each more is better in my book ... :D

mike4guns
February 13, 2008, 05:52 PM
oh i see. well enjoy them 627's. i'm already focusing on the 4" version i am hearing about. enjoy.

H2O MAN
February 13, 2008, 06:02 PM
I have a Python too (two of them ). If I had to choose just one, I'd keep the Python.

I didn't even have to ask the question, thanks! :cool:

tls3764
February 14, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hey guys, I just bought a used 627-5 today. My serial # starts BCF. I thought it should be PC. What does BCF stand for? My gun sounds just like the one mike4guns had. Do all the PC...BC...627's have the same features? On the box that the aluminum PC case came in there are some feature codes. Is there a site that I can go to ,to find out what the codes mean? This is my first Performance center gun. The gun shoots really sweet! It had never been fired till today.
Tim

medmo
February 14, 2008, 01:34 AM
Has anyone seen one of these yet:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/ps/Model_327_163422.pdf

A bit of a different spin on the platform. I'm interested and looking forward to checking one out.

9mmepiphany
February 14, 2008, 03:16 AM
A bit of a different spin on the platform

the rear sight looks very good...i understand it's also available for the J-frame.

the front sight looks good, but makes making a percise shot much harder.

the Sc frame doesn't hold up to alot of rounds run through it

GrandmasterB
February 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
Really like my 627. It is one of my favorites, and the trigger is the best of all my revolvers.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/bungib/PublicFolder/Guns/627robar1.jpg

and I really like shooting 8 instead of 6!

mc_coy
February 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Anyone handloading for the 627-PC 8 times 5" barrel??

Any successfully experimented combinations in .38 sp and .357 mag ??

mc_coy
May 20, 2008, 08:30 PM
Bought it at last!!!

http://nuke.mccoy.it/Portals/0/DSC04442.JPG

sargenv
May 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
Commonly those who shoot the ICORE game (Ipsc for revolvers only) choose to shoot Hearthco moons. Preferred brass is Starline, Federal, or Remington, I've found Winchester brass to be inconsistent when it comes to groove diam. I own two 627 PC's. One primary and one as a backup. I've been using Ranch moons with 38 spl Federal Nickel (I have about 2k) and some RP mixed cases for it. The Federals are consistent and work well with the Ranch moons. If/when the Ranch moons are worn out, I'll likely switch to Hearthco moons since he makes them in different thicknesses depending on which brass you use. They aren't cheap, but they are the best on the market.

Out of the box I found the trigger to be way too heavy. S&W appeases the lawyers by keeping the trigger pull way too heavy. With a little work, they can be made to have excellent triggers.. but then I only shoot mine in double action.

My current competition load is 4.2 gr of Solo 1000 with a 158 gr Lead Moly coated Bear Creek bullet (this load works in my gun, afaik this is NOT a listed load for solo 1000). If I do my part, the gun will hit within the 8" circle at 50 yards that represents the A zone of an NRA D1 Tombstone. If I wasn't in a rush, it could probably do better. I've not tried any of the HBWC's since they are just too expensive.. even to reload.

I did replace the front gold bead sight with an orange ramp front. I could never really pick up the gold bead right and was always used to the orange ramp front like I have on my 610.

mc_coy
May 22, 2008, 06:17 PM
The reloads I tried so far in 38 sp (the ones in the picture 2 posts ago) are 158 grs hard-cast SWCs with 5.3 to 5.6 grs Vithavuori N340.
Works pretty good. Should hit the 125 PF never cronographed it though.
Solo powder is not easily available here.

Did you do your own trigger job by changing or adjusting the trigger spring or what? I too shoot only in SA. Did you have any problems with unfired primers after the trigger job?

Elvishead
June 5, 2008, 04:42 AM
Had mine for two weeks, and been to the range twice with it. I got the V-Comp PC 5" Two Tone.

Man! What a trigger! The pull is so extra smooth.

Like almost everybody that bought one, says it's there nicest revolver, and I agree.

Stainz
June 5, 2008, 07:41 AM
I've had my new 4" 627 Pro for a week now, joining my '02 vintage JM PC627 V-Comp, both pictured below. I have changed the trigger return spring to a 13# Wolff, the lightest, and the hammer leaf to the lower effort as well - although it was an old very well used pull-out I had on hand. The trigger has improved, of course, but I did note ftfs with Win SP primed ammo - none with Feds. The older 627, a PC-shop tweaked example, is as light or lighter - and super smooth. It pops the Win SP primers 100%. My similarly light-sprung 686+ & 66 pop them, too. A longer fp did not completely restore the reliability, so I swapped that spring with a known recent acquisition from a 629. It's odd - I don't mind Fed-only LP primers in my large caliber, ie, 625 & 629, S&Ws, but I expect my SP primered .38/.357s to be reliable with Win SP primers.

I have had a time deciding what grip to use on my 627 Pro. I like it now with my 625JM's Miculek grip - but the rounded Ahrends it's pictured with here feel pretty good. Perhaps the Ahrends retro target-style? Decisions. I know one thing - great revolver - great bargain, too - a PC-type revolver for MSRP $150 over their least expensive medium frame - the 620. The first thing I did was replace that orange ramp with the HiViz from my 625JM, too. Great buy!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0544.jpg

Stainz

LA Rondo
June 5, 2008, 04:50 PM
Back in town.

Am I right to think that there are 2 BBL lengths on this current model 627, a 4" and a 5"?

I am already beginning to so getting used to this revolver ....

mc_coy
June 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'd like to correct a serious mistake of mine, I told I only shoot in SA, it's the other way around, I shoot in DA exclusively, more gun control, allows you rapid fire and more. Plus you always can stage the trigger, and with the 627 PC that's the easiest thing to do!

LA Rondo
June 5, 2008, 07:10 PM
How is Italy these days? I haven't been there in ages, used to go around there quite bit.
Been to lots of places along the coast between Rome and San Remo/Ventimiglia and ridden the Strada del Sol countless times.

My first name is Guido, btw. ;)

ClemY
June 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
I have a couple of the 627-5PCs. They are terrific guns. I love 5" N frames.

rbmcmjr
June 6, 2008, 01:08 AM
the rear sight looks very good...

That is the Cylinder&Slide Extreme Duty sight. They are a drop in for the newer frames with the rounded sight base.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/rbmcmjr/44projectsrear.jpg

Meprolights on the left, C&S on the right.

Magnum.35744
June 6, 2008, 04:22 PM
Beautiful 627!!!

Stainz
June 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
Speaking of Italy... I lived off of Santo Stefano, an island off La Madelina, itself just north of Sardegnia. I went to Rome, Naples, and Pompei - wanted to travel more, but the tour manager, aka Captain, wouldn't let us do so because of the massacre of Olympic athletes (9/72). I dressed like a hippie then... blouse or jumper with neckerchef and bell bottoms - all white - looked like the Good Humor man (ice cream vendor). Oh yeah - the hat. I did get to carry a 1911 - with a round in the chamber and seven in the mag - an eight-shooter! Neat country. I got 'out' 11/72 - bought an Alfa Romeo 1/74 while back in college. I owned nine - and a Fiat in the next ten years. Yeah, Italy had an affect on me... love to go back one day... I think!

I shot the 627 Pro again this AM, despite the heat & humidity - fun revolver. My plate pinger loads are 125gr Berry's FP or HP over 4.2gr Titegroup - or a 125gr JHP from Zero over 4.5gr Titegroup - in mixed .357M cases - should be ~830-840 fps from my 4" 627 Pro, recally the range chrono's results of my 5"-er 627 and 6" 66. The HiViz helps fast acquisition of the steel plates - not the best for bullseye work.

Stainz

bukijin
June 6, 2008, 07:25 PM
i have one in a 5 inch barrel. Single action is beautiful and double action isn't bad either. It is accurate and a pleasure to shoot. It is really wide though. Got to love this revolver - my favorite gun.

LA Rondo
June 7, 2008, 07:06 PM
Speaking of Italy... I lived off of Santo Stefano, an island off La Madelina, itself just north of Sardegnia. I went to Rome, Naples, and Pompei - wanted to travel more, but the tour manager, aka Captain, wouldn't let us do so because of the massacre of Olympic athletes (9/72). I dressed like a hippie then... blouse or jumper with neckerchef and bell bottoms - all white - looked like the Good Humor man (ice cream vendor). Oh yeah - the hat. I did get to carry a 1911 - with a round in the chamber and seven in the mag - an eight-shooter! Neat country. I got 'out' 11/72 - bought an Alfa Romeo 1/74 while back in college. I owned nine - and a Fiat in the next ten years. Yeah, Italy had an affect on me... love to go back one day... I think!

You've been further South then I ever was. I hope the tour manager, aka Captain didn't keep you from getting to know the female side of Italy :p

Those Alfas are sweet, esp the 70models, like Gulia and Guiletta and ofcourse the Spider, which is a bit too small for me :cool:

Yeah, that Sept. 1972, Olympic Games in Munich. I was there. It certainly left me with few words to say, on the impression.

However, yesterday, when I was on the way back home with my new 620 I stopped at another gun store curious to see if I could get info on the 627.
(My supplier didn't bother looking, since he knows I can't do anything for the remainder of this month)

Well, I found out 2 things:

A. There are 3 different models 627.

B. This "gun-dealer" didn't have a clue.

But for the good of it, I walked away with the latest edition of S&W's catalog. Nice color prints!:scrutiny:

That means I now can pinpoint the exact product #, referring to the object of my desire ....

magnum loader
June 8, 2008, 12:58 AM
I have about 8 months shooting on my 627PC with about 1K rounds shot thru it already. I've fired the cheap stuff, mid priced ammo, and many handloads using Unique, 296, Tightgroup & soon 231 & 2400 powders all in 38SP & various 357 brass. I am learning to shoot 357 well & I am new to reloads
so I am just shooting the !@%# out of this pistol.
With all this said I have enjoyed this S&W very much even with the high price
tag. I don't care for their moon clips though, love the alum. case & extra rubber grips. I am still in the process of chrongraphing different handloads to see what powders/loadings really shoots accurate.
Just recently I fired 8 bad factory loads(Triton make), one of the 8 shells was way overpowdered, the brass cracked & stuck in the cyl. & the recoil was some kind a strong, the N frame took the harsh load without damage. I pulled the other box of that ammo & will return both to my retailer fast.
My next buy might be a auto but certainly my 1st love is the 627PC for sure.
Can't convince the wife to shoot it yet, she is afraid of the kick & doesn't believe me when I tell her the 38SP WC loads are pink powder puff ammo:)

Stainz
June 8, 2008, 07:18 AM
My 627 is SKU #178014, the 627 Pro ("C" on pg 49 of the '08 catalog). That changeable front sight, spring-loaded a la the Classic DX 629 and my 625JM, is great. It takes moonclips (includes three), too. This year's bargain, I do believe.

My first Alfa - a '73 2000 Berlina - $5,247 new tax/tag, etc. The Berlina (4dr sedan - cop car in Italy!), GTV, & Spider all share the same running gear - different length drive shafts and different radiators. It had Italian A/C - six winows that would open! That Berlina replaced a '70 Audi 100LS I had bought new when I was stationed in New London - I wrecked it with my wife and two small sons aboard while attending AU. I became intimately familiar with that Al block/CI liner DOHC I4 - and it's mechanical fuel injection. I had older ones - a Giulia Super & a rare Giulia GTC - about as much fun to get rid of as a rare disease. I rebuilt engines, trannies, etc in the basement. I bought a new '76 Fiat 131 for my wife - that was a dependable car. Now I drive a Jeep Liberty... with a range bag to match it's interior!

Stainz

LA Rondo
June 8, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ah, this is great!

I figured that now, after a bit of confusion, the fog finally lifted.
Your's with the sku# 178014, is the medium frame 8-shot, according to the catalog.

I remember, I was initially intrigued by sku# 163357 on pg. 43, because of it's classis style. Still I am, but with the 620 now and about 5 ouce less in my hand, I feel really good .... I am 6.3 guy with undersized wrists :uhoh: It's funny how I get to feel every ounce after a while, esp. since I have forearms strong like bull :eek: I tend to overwork my wrists and end up with sores, if I don't watch it.

Having said this, I am coming to believe that my 686+ with the 6" BBl (44oz) is about as much as I can take without supporting my wrist.
Maybe I can find one of those leather wrist bands, I used to have in the 70's :cool:

However, the 3. 627 I figured is sku# 170210 on pg. 54 :eek: it got me going ... I'll have to see, if I can reach deep enough into my pockets :rolleyes:

With all that, I have to follow you guys over to the .22 revolvers, something I honestly never considered previously, but there's is certainly something to be discovered :D

Ps. Yeah, those Alfa's. I never owned one, it's not really my temper ... I don't have the patience to go through whatever it takes, to keep them rolling.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith&Wesson Model 627 8-shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!