IL magazine laws

PDA

eastwood44mag
December 29, 2005, 12:42 PM
I need to know the details of magazine restrictions both in the state and Cook county (yeah, I know it sucks to be here). Please indicate for both rifle and pistol, and cite your source. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "IL magazine laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff White
December 29, 2005, 01:21 PM
There are no state laws restricting magazines. I don't have any idea about Cook County though.

Jeff

Jubei
December 29, 2005, 01:47 PM
Cook county has banned the ownership of "assault weapons", and the city of Chicago has banned the ownership of handguns, so if your interest for hi-cap magazines fall under those ridiculous laws, I think that you're SOL. Outside of Cook county though, I don't think that there are any restrictions.

Jubei

Matthew748
December 29, 2005, 01:47 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are no magazine restrictions in Cook County. I used to live there and still have friends and family members that do, so I try to keep up with things. This link may be useful:
http://www.isra.org/links/illinois_firearms_info.shtml#gun_law_table

eastwood44mag
December 29, 2005, 03:15 PM
Cook county has banned the ownership of "assault weapons", and the city of Chicago has banned the ownership of handguns, so if your interest for hi-cap magazines fall under those ridiculous laws, I think that you're SOL. Outside of Cook county though, I don't think that there are any restrictions.

Jubei

What is an "assault weapon" according to the county? I know standards vary, so what specifically is restricted? Thanks.

Matthew748
December 29, 2005, 03:57 PM
As far as I know, the Cook County ban did not get off of the ground. The Committee on Health and Hospitals chose not to vote on it. Here is a link:

http://www.suffredin.org/legislativelibrary/Legislation.asp?LegislationID=123&Library=cook

Maybe I am behind the times. Assuming that a Cook County ban did not get slipped through while I was not watching, what is allowed or not allowed would be governed by state law and the city’s laws relating to firearms. Most cites simply follow state law, but there are exceptions like Chicago and Wilmette.

This link has some info on towns and cities that have their own little anti-gun ordinances:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm

Don Gwinn
December 29, 2005, 08:37 PM
The ban proposed in 2005 would have been more restrictive, but there was already an Assault Weapons Ban in place in Cook County and it remains in effect.

Jubei
December 30, 2005, 11:10 AM
Eastwood,

I don't know the text or verbage of the ban, I believe that it is along the same lines as the Clinton ban. I know that the Midwest Guns store in Lyons cannot stock or sell AR-15s, AKs or anything along those lines, but the Midwest Guns in Downers Grove can. Hi-cap pistol magazines are fine just about anywhere outside of the Chicago city-limits.

Sorry I'm not a bigger help, I've given up trying to figure out the inane political/legal system of Illinois a long time ago.

Jubei

If you enjoyed reading about "IL magazine laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!