Reloading S&B wadcutter brass

PDA

beardking
December 30, 2005, 01:53 AM
This will probably turn into one of those DUH questions, but I just bought a S&W .38 wheel gun and got a couple boxes of Sellior and Bellot wadcutter ammo. I also bought the dies and will soon be buying the bullets (already have powder/primers) for reloading these bad boys and when I was looking at the funny looking wadcutters (yeah, I know they are supposed to look like that), I noticed a crimp on the case pretty low. Are these typically safe to reload? I've never seen a crimp that low before.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading S&B wadcutter brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
georgeduz
December 30, 2005, 02:16 AM
dont know about S&B but the crimp or ring around the middle of the case is ok.i have some old cases like that,its all good when u run it through your sizing die,i have a roll crimp on my lee dies.

HSMITH
December 30, 2005, 11:04 AM
They will load OK, but be prepared for small tight primer pockets. Uniform and bevel the primer pocket just a hair and life is a lot easier reloading S&B brass.

armoredman
December 30, 2005, 11:07 AM
I got to the point of just tossing S&B brass in the scrap bin - the primer pocket trouble is NOT worth it, with the scads of good reloadable brass out there.

steveno
December 30, 2005, 11:30 AM
I have about 700 rounds of 38 special loaded in S & B brass. I have found a couple with tight primer pockets but even they would seat the primer. I think that some of the cases have been loaded 8 or 9 times without any splitting. I don't have them loaded really hot so expect the cases will last a lot longer

beardking
December 30, 2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't really think that the crimp would be a problem, but I just wanted to check before I wasted time trying to reload them only to blow up in my face. I'll be looking out for the tight primer pockets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading S&B wadcutter brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!