Anyone happy with only a few guns?

PDA

goon
December 30, 2005, 12:53 AM
I am working on refining my collection and I think I could do just fine with about a half dozen or so guns. Don't get me wrong here: I love guns and I feel the impulse to buy another one every time I am in a gunstore. I overheard a guy today wheeling and dealing trying to trade a rifle toward an AR-15 and I wanted to offer him $50 more than the store would have given him when the manager wasn't listening. I have to try to stay out of those places...
Anyhow, I am thinking I could do it with a couple rifles, a .22, a 12 gauge, and a couple handguns.
Mine would be something like:
Mossberg 500 12 gauge 18" barrel - maybe with a longer barrel for hunting
Finnish M-39. I like it.
FAL. I love it.
CZ-452. I also love it.
Kahr P-9. It is small and light and hits fairly hard.
Either my SIG P-225 or the CZ-75 I have on the way. I don't need to decide between the two because I CAN have both.

I have some others that can't ever really go because they were gifts or they were bought from family members with the caveat that they never leave the family. When I leave the area (I currently live about 50 miles from my parents), they can stay with my mom and dad and add to the family defenses. For my purposes though, I think those would work perfectly with a minimum of confusion.

What say you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone happy with only a few guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M2 Carbine
December 30, 2005, 01:07 AM
I was as happy with a GI 45, 38 S&W and a couple rifles as I am with a gun collection numbering in the three figures.:)

mnrivrat
December 30, 2005, 01:13 AM
Over the years of being up and down and everywhere between I have had as many as 30+ and as little as 1 firearm at one time. I've bought -sold-traded at least a couple of hundred guns over the years.

When down to just one it was a 20 ga. Mossberg pump gun. Shotguns indeed do it all better than anything else I can think of for a firearm.

I have been able to maintain 4 to 5 guns lately and for my present needs that is plenty. As far as wants - I suppose a hundred would not be enough.

Alex45ACP
December 30, 2005, 01:20 AM
I think a G17/CZ75/BHP, a CZ 452, an AR15 and a 590/870 would be perfectly fine to cover the basics.

glockamolee
December 30, 2005, 01:27 AM
My ideal collection would include a few new(er) designed rifles/pistols and a few older design rifles/pistols.

The older design is cheap and easy, just look at all the old military surplus.

The Luger... that will cost some money.

crew590
December 30, 2005, 03:14 AM
I don't know about you guys and your colleting habits, but I am happy with my small number of guns. Currently I have a 12 gauge, a .22, and an SKS. I do plan on adding to these by mabey another shotgun and some pistols (when I turn 21)

My personal thoughts are why would you spend money on a gun that will, more than likely, collect dust sitting in a safe? I feel that it is better to become proficent (sp) with a small number of guns than to have XX number of guns but have hardly any experience with any of them.

YMMV,

Jay

(Any typoes, bad spelling, ect. is the result of staying up till 3 a.m.)

Nematocyst
December 30, 2005, 03:38 AM
(Any typoes, bad spelling, ect. is the result of staying up till 3 a.m.) Hey, Jay, my best creativity and writing occurs after 3 AM (after work for me, since I work nights mostly). ;)

Anyway, I digress. What I really meant to say was, this thread feels like one home for a while. Nice to meet others that seem to feel the same as me re gun numbers and functionality.

My list is similar to several of yours:

Rem 870P (00, #1, 07, slugs): SD/HD, birds, squirrel, rabbit & possibly deer
Kahr K9 (124 gr Golden Saber): SD, open carry & CCW (after permit acquisition; coming soon)
SW 642 (135 gr): SD, CCW
CZ452 (.22LR): small game (squirrel & rabbit), rifle technique practice

I'm now exploring centerfire rifle options (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=172790) for larger game (whitetail, mule deer, antelope; elk on rare occasion should the need arise, as in SHTF & TEOTWAWKI (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=170015)). Top considerations: bolt action Rem, Savage, Ruger, Win, or Tikka in .308 or 7mm08.

After that, I'll consider my tool kit to be adequate + for some long time period while I become proficient with said tool kit for SD & food acquisition, including maintenance.

After all, I'm partly nomadic (even if my movement schedule is scaled in years, not months). Nomads don't haul around safes full of safe queens.

Not to mention that I want to be proficient with these tools, and the only way to become proficient is to BA/UU/R. If I've only got 5, I'll do that much more than otherwise (given time limitations).

I could add other reasons that I'm sure most of us have thought about, but I'll not do that now.

:cool:

Nem

rfurtkamp
December 30, 2005, 04:07 AM
My personal thoughts are why would you spend money on a gun that will, more than likely, collect dust sitting in a safe? I feel that it is better to become proficent (sp) with a small number of guns than to have XX number of guns but have hardly any experience with any of them.

Who says you can't be proficient with a multitude of platforms?

The basic operating principles for firearms are the same - with variations for sight types and individual weapon differences.

The assumption that because you own (x) you can't be proficient with (y), (z), or (q) is a bit silly.

I'm confident in my ability to do what I need to with any firearm I pick up at this point that's in good working order (and can probably restore it to that if there's a problem to boot), a confidence built up by the fact that I have examples of many dozens of guns to choose from when I want to.

If I really love a particular model, I own several. One may break, it may wear out, or be in the shop - or you may discover that your old lady loves the same one. If it's not made any more, you're SOL. There are also variations on particular rifles. Do I need seven FAL variants? Nope. Do I like them all? Yep. Do some collect dust more than others? Yep. Can I shoot what I need to with any of 'em? Yep.

When push comes to shove, though, I have enough to bring with when I invite friends to go shooting, in the event of serious civil breakdown, and enough that I'm in no fear of breaking something or problems with any one gun.

LAK
December 30, 2005, 04:09 AM
There is something to be said for having more serviceable guns than one actually uses. Afterall, they can always be passed on to those who do not have one in time of trouble.

There is particular merit in having doubles or triples of particular guns; such as "two (or three) K98s". The most accurate or better example can be retained for business, a sort of insurance policy for a rainy day, and one can shoot the blazes out of the other(s) and repair as needed.

I think a very basic battery for everyone should be a .22 rimfire handgun and rifle, and a medium caliber centerfire handgun, and a medium bore rifle - and a shotgun between 20 and 12 gauge. With these and the enormous variety of ammunition available one can do just about anything.
---------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Medusa
December 30, 2005, 04:24 AM
Must be, because of the law if i have more than 8 guns i must have special safe-like room for them (to where noone else has access, small windows etc).

Nematocyst
December 30, 2005, 04:26 AM
Who says you can't be proficient with a multitude of platforms? JFTR, I certainly do not.

But I do say that, given my time, financial constraints & work schedule (YMMV), I cannot be.

I'll do better shooting 5 than 25.

But if that's not someone else's situation, then more power to them.

Nem

crew590
December 30, 2005, 04:53 AM
Who says you can't be proficient with a multitude of platforms?

I guess what I'm trying to say is why buy a gun and then just let it sit around?

Jay

December 30, 2005, 05:44 AM
I've gone round the block on this over the years from a point of only being able to afford one at a time to having so many I forgot about some. I'm now concentrating on what makes me happy and only buying guns I find are special to me for some reason. I've sold off everything I found collecting dust with no sentimental attachment and have about a dozen guns that I feel strongly about. The thing that kind of sucks is that my gun money is separate from household funds and I used to use guns as trading fodder for other guns, now I actually have to have the cash.

Cosmoline
December 30, 2005, 06:45 AM
I've never been comfortable having a lot of firearms at once. I prefer to buy and sell them to try out various combinations in a never-ending quest for the perfect small batch of firearms. I've probably owned several hundred firearms over the years, but I never have more than a few at any given time.

My attitude is *VERY* different from other gun owners who seem to have a death grip on every oddball firearm that comes their way. But to each his own. I never have much problem ditching a firearm if it isn't in my plans. I just don't want the hassle of having to stow it and safeguard it.

browningguy
December 30, 2005, 09:08 AM
It might be possible for me to be happy with only a few firearms, but thankfully I don't have to try it.

LeonCarr
December 30, 2005, 09:11 AM
I personally own 9 firearms, and they all get shot on a regular basis, usually every weekend. I think it is much better to have a few guns and be proficient with them all, than to have a vault full of safe queens that you never shoot. You never know when you might have to use one in a real situation.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

depicts
December 30, 2005, 09:34 AM
When I was in my teens, I used to trade a gun for the next gun I wanted , or sell two to buy something really nice like my first Ithaca 37 20 Guae.

Sooner or later I'd almost always start to miss the guns I traded or sold, so when I got to making a regular salary, I promised myself to never sell anything I owned. I've broken that rule a few times, still kicking myself for the NIB BHP Belgium model sold when I needed mortgage money during a lay off. Also another BHP from WWII that I sold because a friend convinced me I just had too many guns and didn't need it.

Sure I have a few dusty guns in my safes, but once in awhile I'll break an old beater out to let a kid go shoooting, and I don't have to worry if they scratch my Cold Cup.

I try to really think about it now when I buy a gun, but I start to get that "urge" and then I find myself window shopping at the local shops or on the net, and pretty soon I can't stop myself, I HAVE to have another gun! Most recently it was a S&W 640 .357 Mag in SS with 2 1/8 inch barrel. I love it. I'm so glad I bought it. I've been wanting one for so long. I've alredy got the itch for a 20 guage home defense Remington 870 now, but it will take me maybe 5 or 6 months to talk myself into really buying it.

I love them all. Even the ones I never shoot. Some are special, Grandpa's '03, Dad's Savage 250-3000, my first .22 from when I was 6 (actually I shoot that more than any other gun).

There are a few guns in the safe that aren't even worth selling, not to mention brand names, but clones of Ruger 10/22's that aren't worth much, and the few single shot break action 12 guage shoulder busters that just seem to collect around the house.

I like .22's and .357 Mag's and it makes ammo buying easy, lots of .38, .357 and .22, and the other stuff not so much. Last night I applied for my C&R license, so we'll see what's next. I have a feeling I'll soon own more than one Mosin;) ;)

middy
December 30, 2005, 10:12 AM
I'm (almost) content with:

9mm CCW handgun
.22lr revolver
.30-30 lever gun
.22lr semi-auto rifle
12ga pump
AR-15

Someday I'll replace the .30-30 with a bolt-action .308 and some nice glass. Other than that, I think I'm set. Well, I'll probably get another J-frame .38 someday, too. And maybe a single-action .357... :rolleyes:

Now to buy more ammo and shoot more...

armoredman
December 30, 2005, 10:21 AM
I have a CZ 75 PO1, and a Mosin M38 carbine. All I have. I can hit anything I aim at with either one, too....:)

kage genin
December 30, 2005, 10:25 AM
I think it is much better to have a few guns and be proficient with them all, than to have a vault full of safe queens that you never shoot. You never know when you might have to use one in a real situation.

Agree with you 100% on this one. I make it a point to put each of my guns through at least a few days of some training course before deciding if it's worth it's salt or not.

taliv
December 30, 2005, 10:55 AM
except for what i've inherited, i don't own any guns i don't plan to shoot on a regular basis. i.e. i own guns to shoot, not to "collect"

M2 Carbine
December 30, 2005, 10:57 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is why buy a gun and then just let it sit around?
Jay

Some people just want to own a lot of guns.

One friend has, I don't know how many hundred guns, including a FA UZI, MP-40 and FA Mac 10, and shoots a LOT.

Another friend has about a hundred guns, including many NIB guns that have never been fired, but he shoots very little, even though he could shoot on my range, a 10 minute drive, any time he wants.

I have something over a hundred guns and only have 2 unused/new Makarovs that I don't shoot, but will get around to it. The only reason I haven't shot them is I have 12 other Makarovs that I shoot.:D

My 2nd friend, I'd consider a collector.
But me, even owning more guns, I'd consider myself a shooter because I'm not really interested in owning collector type "Safe Queens" that aren't shot.

Don't Tread On Me
December 30, 2005, 11:02 AM
I don't buy guns just to collect or to have them. I only like to keep guns that I actually shoot at the range, or have some sort of conceived use for.

2 AR's, one with Aimpoint all tricked out, set up for short to medium range. The "high speed, low drag weapon", even though I'm high drag, low speed myself :D The other is a 20", with scope. This is the "sniper rig"...these are the SHTF rifles, they are of the highest quality I could get.

Of course, I've got to have a weapon that shoots 7.62x39. That's mandatory. Have an SKS that takes AK mags (norinco). Works as a good range blaster, and can serve SHTF purposes.

Have a nice HK pistol, that the main service pistol. It is the go to gun, along with the Colt 16" AR for home defense or w/e. Carry guns are a Kahr for main carry, and a Keltec for deep concealment.

Fun guns include a 10/22 that is ulta light yet accurate thanks to Whistlepig barrel (I can't possibly recommened anything better), and a 17HMR. The 17 is the most useless of my firearms. No hunting use for it in Florida, but it does shoot sub-moa for a reasonable price, so for a cheap trouble-free 100 yard target gun, it's decent. However, the 10/22 is pretty accurate, and much cheaper to shoot. And lighter and works for small game.

Don't have a need or a want for a shotgun. Don't like them for homedefense, don't like them for SHTF, and I don't hunt anything that requires a shotgun. Levergun catches my eye from time to time, but have no use for it whatsoever. I've been itching for a longslide XD. Has higher capacity than my HK, longer sight radius, and a better trigger. Would make a better combat pistol, but the HK has proven itself completely reliable and has never malfunctioned once in thousands of rounds. I don't feel like going through the testing process with new pistol and dealing with unknowns. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say. That's why I never go through with the XD.

Now, an accurate, long barreled 22 revolver might be in order. I need something cheap to shoot, low recoil and accurate in a handgun to build handgun skills and diagnose problems. I could care less about speed or self-loading for this purpose. I don't like shooting handguns as much as rifles, but I still would like to get better at it. I'm really turned off by the jam-o-matic 22LR target semi-auto world...

My "collection" is complete for now..if I get anything new, it will most likely be a replacement for something I have (ie better system, like selling the SKS for an AK) From now on, I'll be spending my money on lots of ammunition and look into getting serious training from quality instructors. A good tactical carbine course, one of those 3-day, 2,000 round type classes might be good. Try to do those at least once a year (they get expensive!) Then I can figure out which holster I like, which sling config works best for me....figure out the gear then when put into some form of practice.

Firearms are useless when you're useless. There's always things to learn, and skills to gain.

ron8903
December 30, 2005, 11:03 AM
no

rick_reno
December 30, 2005, 11:07 AM
Yep - I've got three and am happy. I'd like to add a semi-automatic rifle (SKS) to the collection but that's about it.

Declaration Day
December 30, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have been refining my collection for the past few years; getting rid of guns I never use, trading them for ones I will, etc.

Right now I have:

Glock 26
Bersa Thunder .380
Sig P232 .380
Kel-Tec P-11
Springfield WW2 M1911
Springfield WW2 ultra compact 1911

Savage Mark 2 .22 rifle
Remington 870, which will soon be converted to a tactical shotgun
Benelli Nova 12 Ga.
M1 Garand

Once I add a Kel-Tec sub 2000 and a Springfield M1a, I will be content. I might get a K-31 and some type of Mauser, if I come across some nice ones.

Then I can focus on buying lots of ammo.

Cosmoline
December 30, 2005, 11:30 AM
Economics is another matter. I simply can't afford to keep all the firearms I buy. I use trades and sales to finance new purchases. If I was fixated on keeping every firearm I owned I never would have gotten beyond my initial batch many years ago.

goon
December 30, 2005, 11:57 AM
I have sold and traded quite a few over the years. I generally use my trades to pay for other guns. I am considering selling a couple of mine now and using the money to buy ammo for the ones I keep.

Rem700SD
December 30, 2005, 01:13 PM
I guess my thought is that I can only shoot one at a time, and I can only shoot so many in my rare afternoons off. I have 4 pistols and 4 rifles, but I still lust after 1 or 2 more. My main focus right now is not gun acquisition, but gun skill and knowledge to use what I have. Trying to wear out the bbl on my .300Win Mag is not cheap! (so that's where my gun money's been going.....)

Guy B. Meredith
December 30, 2005, 02:23 PM
More than happy with my 7 firearms.

Purchased one revolver and a Ruger MKII, had a Mossberg bolt action 12 GA from my youth and a family Remington 514. I would have been happy with that, but won a couple of revolvers and had an itch for a Garand, traded the MKII for a Mossberg 500.

I am getting another M1 itch and would like to become caretaker of family heirloom LC Smith and Colt...

Overall, though, not a serious collector so all is well.

McCall911
December 30, 2005, 02:32 PM
I suppose I'm happy owning only a few guns because I'm frankly too poor to own a lot of guns.

:(

GRB
December 30, 2005, 03:28 PM
I figure I have about 20 firearms right now, a combination of revolver, pistols, rifles and shotgun. I guess I could, if I had to for some reason, cut back to only a few. In that case it would be one medium caliber rifle, two handguns, one shotgun and one .22 rifle.

As it is now, I only own 1 shotgun, I own about 4 medium caliber rifles, maybe 7 handguns (at least 3 are in .22LR), and the remainder are .22 rifles. That leaves about 12 out of 20 or so that are in .22LR. Hard to get away from the fun of a .22. It would be difficult to give them up for sure.

DMK
December 30, 2005, 04:18 PM
Just because you have a lot of guns doesn't mean you can't have just a few favorites that you shoot and practice with most often.

It's nice to sometimes pull a gun out of the back of the safe that you hadn't shot in more than a year and take it to the range. It's like getting a new gun, but cheaper. :)

rfurtkamp
December 30, 2005, 04:46 PM

Some things in life are worth simply having. Nice things are a reward for hard work - some folks have nice cars, real estate, paintings, or whatnot.

If I genuinely don't like a gun and it has no place in my collection, I don't keep it. Some guns you're only going to find once in your lifetime as a collector, and you're faced with a 'do I keep this even if I don't shoot it much or at all or do I sell it and regret it for the rest of my days' question. The first time you sell something that you later realize is irreplaceable, you'll start to understand why some folks hoard their guns. Or perhaps when you're older you'll think "Gee, I always wanted X", and just get it because you now have the fiscal resources to do so. I'm thinking of getting a VP70 simply because I always wanted one - not because it fits me well, or I like the trigger pull or the grip or the ergonomic nightmare, but rather because when I couldn't afford one it was one of my early dream guns.

I have a real firearms reference library in front of me, or at least the start of a very serious one. I don't have to guess or speculate or ponder "How could I do that" in the abstract. I can go over to the safe and physically examine my specimen and admire it, play with it, shoot it, or whatever it is I want to do with it.

I also like a certain variety in my firearms. I liken it to an avid local collector I'm well acquainted with on a friendly basis - he also collects automobiles. He likes to work on them, restore them, and drive them when the mood fancies him. On some days that's the International Harvester 4 wheeler, on other days that's the Rolls. Are those vehicles wasted? Nope - he loves them all, can afford them, and appreciates them for what they are.

If you don't get that, don't own more than what you can use immediately.

Moonclip
December 30, 2005, 04:52 PM
I could get by with about 10 firearms but somehow I also ended up with a collection in the 3 figure range. I sort of collect guns I guess but every single firearm I've ever owned or I do own except for a french MAS 36 still in the wrap I have fired at the range on at least one occasion.

ken grant
December 30, 2005, 05:06 PM
I had a lot of guns,mostly rifles but had a few shotguns and quiet a few pistols. Reloading equip. for them as well as casting equip.
I had to keep all kinds of powders,bullets,brass and primers.
A lot of the guns were real collectors items as well as some belonging to my Grandfather and father.
I have been collecting most of my life (67 now) and I have done a lot of shooting in my time.

About 4 yrs. ago,I lost all to a fire as well as home and shop. It took a couple of yrs. to get back into shooting and I now have a lot fewer guns and reloading equip.

But you know,I am much happier now with less and enjoy it more.:what:

Nematocyst
December 30, 2005, 05:19 PM
I guess I could, if I had to for some reason, cut back to only a few. In that case it would be one medium caliber rifle, two handguns, one shotgun and one .22 rifle. Reading this thread has led me to begin to formulate a question (that has no doubt been hashed at least 17 times on THR in the past): if one was restricted for what ever reason (financial, gov reg :barf: etc) to a set number of guns, what would be the minimum set that would cover ones needs?

My preliminary hypothesis is that at least some of us would agree with Glenn: about five.

That is my magic number, at least for now, and in the same combination: one medium caliber rifle (which I don't own yet, but am researching something bolt in .308 or 7mm08), two handguns (one medium sized, one BUG for pocket carry), one shotgun (see user name) & one .22LR. That's me.

Once I get a medium caliber rifle, I suspect I'll be as happy as a bumble bee in a honeysuckle patch.

Nem

assegai
December 30, 2005, 06:05 PM
Nor a 22 rifle, if they have a .22 conversion unit for their centerfire rifle. Nobody needs to hunt, and if they did, they sure wouldn't be paying 30+c to fire at a critter that could easily be taken with a 2c .22lr.

Once you are good enough, you no longer have to practice very much to retain very high levels of skill. Much higher than most people ever attain, actually. If I did not need to practice much, and didn't compete, I could get by just fine with 1 rifle and two pocket pistols. One of the pocket guns would be a .22 for practice, because powerful centerfire pocket guns can't tolerate much firing at all (as in 2-3k rds) before oftentimes requiring expensive "tweaking' by a skilled smith.

f4t9r
December 30, 2005, 06:09 PM
it can be done but it takes alot of will power !!!!!!
got to have more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MatthewVanitas
December 30, 2005, 06:16 PM
I come from a pack-rat family, and spent most of my youth accumulating more musical instruments and guns then I could ever possibly use. Then a large number of factors pushed me towards minimalism, including lots of travel abroad, and then military service.

My Da has reformed his packrat ways, and is getting into the "the things you own, own you" philosophy, so we're spending the holiday vacation purging the house of anything we don't actively use and enjoy. I've been doing the same in my own house, and hope to get pretty close to the proper balance in January or so. Want to have just one shelf of books (can get the rest from the library), two kitchen knives (8" chef and 4" paring) and pot set, and just the clothes I wear every month (in season).

So far as guns tie into this, I'm aiming for 22pistol/22rifle/CFpistol/CFrifle. Right now I have MkII/39A/Sistema1911/DissyAR15, and bunch of misc stuff I need to sell off in the next month. I figure that will cover me for plinking, the sports I compete in (Silhouette, IDPA), and contingency. It has occurred to me, that if I'm only going to have four guns, I should go all-out and have four really, really nice tricked-out guns. However, I'm totally happy with my 1948 Sistema and 1953 39A (my Da was born in 1951, for comparison). *shrug*

Owning a bunch of stuff just made me feel overloaded, and though I do enjoy finding a "good bargain", the rush fades away after I buy it, then I have to sell it and get something else. I'd rather use that time actually out shooting my guns rather than thinking about the gun I'm going to buy next. But to each his own. -MV

yahkohb
January 3, 2006, 02:13 PM
I tend to think of it as being a shooter versus a collector. of course we all have a little of both but I'm a lot more interested in shooting than collecting. I also don't want to have to stock up on twenty one different calibers, nine types of magazines, holsters for seven different pistols, two turtle doves, a partridge in a pear tree, etc. so practically I like having a small number also. I am at five right now and will probably keep it there barring exceptional circumstances (e.g. another AWB): couple 1911s, AR-15 M4, AK-47, and scoped 30-06 bolt action. oh, and a .22lr conversion for the 1911s.

geekWithA.45
January 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
I don't have a vast pile of guns, and I'm pretty happy. The guns I do have I'd never let go of if I could help it, though.

Molon Labe
January 3, 2006, 04:46 PM
For me, guns are more of a means, not an end. So I currently have just four guns, and they suit me well:

- Shotgun (12 gage)
- Ruger M77 Mark II (.308)
- FAL (.308)
- Serbu BFG 50 (.50 BMG)

I've never owned a handgun.

Brian Williams
January 3, 2006, 05:21 PM
I am happy with what I got but desire more.
22lr
S&W 35-1*
Colt Woodsman 1st series*
Marlin 39a Mountie*
Ruger 10/22 w/folding stock

Handguns
S&W 13 3"*
S&W 65 4" pencil
Sistema 1911*
S&W 642 with 940 9mm cylinder*
S&W 60-4
Glock 19 (my daughter has this now)

Rifles
Marlin 1894C in 357*
Win Compact Classic in 7mm-08

Shotguns
Win 1300 2 22" barrels 1 VR & 1 Rifle sights*
Rem 10T Trap gun

* I could get by with these

Moonclip
January 3, 2006, 06:09 PM
Nor a 22 rifle, if they have a .22 conversion unit for their centerfire rifle. Nobody needs to hunt, and if they did, they sure wouldn't be paying 30+c to fire at a critter that could easily be taken with a 2c .22lr.

Once you are good enough, you no longer have to practice very much to retain very high levels of skill. Much higher than most people ever attain, actually. If I did not need to practice much, and didn't compete, I could get by just fine with 1 rifle and two pocket pistols. One of the pocket guns would be a .22 for practice, because powerful centerfire pocket guns can't tolerate much firing at all (as in 2-3k rds) before oftentimes requiring expensive "tweaking' by a skilled smith.

This is a pretty interesting post. It actually may be there is some in certain rural areas that do need to hunt to supplement the diet and in theory they could actually get by w/o any handguns but would almost surely need a shotgun. It gets kind of hard to take a goose with a handgun. And even if hunting is not necessary, pest control may be needed for some.

Also some may enjoy trap and skeet shooting. If it was actually guns I only really needed for self preservation I suppose my figure of needing 10 guns could be reduced to 4 or 5 guns.

Andrew S
January 3, 2006, 06:19 PM
I am a collector and a shooter. I dont feel the need to master everything because I wont be using everything consistantly. Defense weapons yes but everything no. I like firearms in general but really like a lot of older weapons. C&R FFL is going to make me need a big safe.

Current:
Mossberg 500 - absolutely needed 12 gauge pump...HD and all purpose <100yrd
Old bolt action JC 16 gauge - absolutely not needed but it was a gift from my Dad and isnt worth anything
Winchester Model 94 .32 win special - gift from Dad...probably wont ever sell(also an excuse to get into reloading soon)
Norinco SKS - My cheapo plinker
S&W 638 - Eventual pocket CCW

Future:
Autoloader sidearm...maybe a a 92FS - general plinker/possible CCW
Carbine that shares ammo/mags with pistol - general plinker/possible trail/trunk gun
1911 of some sort - just feel its a requirement
M1 Garand - historical/collection value, possible investment
any C&R weapons on the cheap that interest me once I get my C&RFFL
.22LR sidearm for practicing

Maybe:
M1A - great rifle that would go well with the Garand
M1 Carbine - I would love to have a Garand, M1A, Carbine set
FAL or other .308 or 30-06 if I dont get a M1A

goon
January 3, 2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by assegai

Depends on your needs I guess.
I have come to appreciate the shotgun a whole lot more lately after buying a used Mossberg 500. I bought it as a specialized too for use in my apartment and I didn't expect it to be good for much else. The thing will throw cheap Remington 12 gauge slugs almost like a rifle at 75 yards, right on top of the bead. I now have a weapon that would kill just about anything I will ever encounter out to 100 yards, is perfect for close defensive use, and can be used for hunting if I put another barrel on it. It is also fun to shoot. A shotgun is useful to me.
The .22LR is essential for be because I love to plink. Guess what you need the gun for helps determine how many you need.
I could do with 6 or so without too much pain. Still on the fence with the M-39. I love it but it doesn't serve as well for some uses as a Marlin 30-30 would.

MarshallDodge
January 3, 2006, 07:34 PM
I guess I have a sickness.
Let's see, I got my first .22 when I was 10(Winchester 69A), a S&W 422 when I was 18, Taurus PT99AF at 20, and then I got done with college and it started steamrolling.

I still have the Winchester and 422, traded the Taurus for a Gold Cup, now I have a "few" 1911's and I am getting ready to build another.

I sold a shotgun in November only to buy two in December (one was for my son). I can't figure out what my next gun should be. CZ pistol, Winchester 94, Browning Sporting Clays, Winchester X2 practical. Which one should I sell to fund the next one? I'll have to ask the boys first 'cause nowadays if they see me pulling out a gun to sell they say "you're not selling that one!"

Don't get me started on accessories or the things I have done to pay for guns and the ammo to keep them fed.

Then there is Cowboy Action, Varmint Hunting, or my new favorite 3-Gun.

The problem is I LOVE GUNS! Not all of them but most of them! :D If I had to choose it would probably be the AR-15 with the 24" and 16" uppers, Kimber Custom Target .45, Kahr E9, and Mossberg 590(until I can afford the X2).

Hmmm.....that DPMS LR308 looks good right about now......:cool:

Chris Rhines
January 3, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'm much happier having a small cache of high-quality guns rather than a large pile of mediocre guns.

I could get by with two pistols, two rifles, and one shotgun, if they were the right guns. I'd be more comfortable having maybe twice that number, which allows for some spares, off-site storage, and the capability to play one or two games that I don't presently.

- Chris

redneck2
January 3, 2006, 08:20 PM
I read that Lee Travino (pro golfer for you younger fellows) used to play for money against other golfers, only using a 5 iron (IIRC)

I work at a very good job, make good money, and I like guns, so that's what I get. There's nothing on earth that I couldn't hunt with what's in my safe. I can do HD, SHTF, clays, 1,000 yard, BPCR, muzzle load, silhouette, CAS

I think a lot depends on your hobbies. Mine revolve around hunting, shooting, and fishing so that's the stuff I have

So I guess the question is "If I win the lottery and have way more money than I ever could spend, would I buy more guns...and if so how many?"

NineseveN
January 3, 2006, 08:43 PM
I only keep as many major caliber rifles as I can reasonably take with me in the event of a disaster. Handguns, one for every room seems sufficient. Perhaps if I had a nice water-tight vault and security system I'd collect more, but I don't want to leave anything behind that won't survive or could be stolen and/or used against me.

YMMV.

If I had that vault though, I have at least 3 of everything! :D

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
I have more than I "need"----there a few that have sat in the safe for years NIB unfired---I'll get around to it eventually----there are a few that I shoot A LOT----which ones get used comes down to my mood--time constaints--money etc...

jtward01
January 4, 2006, 04:18 PM
My ideal collection would include:

Colt SAA
Colt 1911A1
Colt 1851 "Navy"
Ruger Mark II .22LR target pistol
S&W Model 15 .38spl
S&W Model 18 .22LR
P-08 Luger
P-38 Walther
P35 FN/Browning
M1 carbine
M1 Garand
AR-15
SKS
AK-47
Browning Auto V 12ga.
Stevens Favorite .22LR

Other than these, I can't think of any guns that a really want. Oh, sure, there are others I'd like to have, but these are the ones that I really want. Unfortunately, so far I only have two (with one more to come very shortly).

danurve
January 4, 2006, 05:05 PM
Hey, Jay, my best creativity and writing occurs after 3 AM (after work for me, since I work nights mostly). ;)

Anyway, I digress. What I really meant to say was, this thread feels like one home for a while. Nice to meet others that seem to feel the same as me re gun numbers and functionality.

My list is similar to several of yours:

Rem 870P (00, #1, 07, slugs): SD/HD, birds, squirrel, rabbit & possibly deer
Kahr K9 (124 gr Golden Saber): SD, open carry & CCW (after permit acquisition; coming soon)
SW 642 (135 gr): SD, CCW
CZ452 (.22LR): small game (squirrel & rabbit), rifle technique practice

I'm now exploring centerfire rifle options (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=172790) for larger game (whitetail, mule deer, antelope; elk on rare occasion should the need arise, as in SHTF & TEOTWAWKI (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=170015)). Top considerations: bolt action Rem, Savage, Ruger, Win, or Tikka in .308 or 7mm08.

After that, I'll consider my tool kit to be adequate + for some long time period while I become proficient with said tool kit for SD & food acquisition, including maintenance.

After all, I'm partly nomadic (even if my movement schedule is scaled in years, not months). Nomads don't haul around safes full of safe queens.

Not to mention that I want to be proficient with these tools, and the only way to become proficient is to BA/UU/R. If I've only got 5, I'll do that much more than otherwise (given time limitations).

I could add other reasons that I'm sure most of us have thought about, but I'll not do that now.

:cool:

Nem
I was just thinking a nice 25-06 would be versitale.

I picked up a .243 for critter/coyote & whitetail, & fun at the range. But I find myself reaching for one of the 12 ga. shotguns when deer season opens. Tell ya what rifle has been great to have is the 22mag. It's a blast to shoot and a great choice to start youngsters on. I guess any rimfire would do well there.

I want a nice lever in the collection, a good o/u or coachgun and a 20 gauge for my son and daughter to shoot. Why so many shotguns? - Why not? :neener:
Actually I hunted for years with just that, and then got into Turkey hunting. Very usefull tool. Did I mention I like Turkey hunting? :cool:

cz75bdneos22
January 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
i'm planning to eventually rid myself of all, but two of my handguns...Beretta neos. .22LR and Glock G20 10mm. i'm good with those two...:neener:

ctdonath
January 5, 2006, 12:15 AM
Being a minimalist at heart, I'd like to have only a very few:

- Steyr Scout .308
- upper-model Gunsite M1911 or Glock 19 (keep waffling)
- Mossberg 590

Yup, keep it simple.

And an 11.5" M4gery with AAC Omni suppressor.
And an M24 type long-range rifle.
And a chrome & kevlar Wild West Guns Co-Pilot.
And the 1911 or G19 I didn't finally pick.
And a suppressed Ruger Mk.II.

And I still probably wouldn't manage to sell the dozen or so other guns I've picked up over the years.

Minimalist at heart. Packrat in action.

goon
January 5, 2006, 12:37 AM
I hear you. I have two that could stand to go right now but I don't know if I can sell them.

jetman
January 6, 2006, 06:38 PM
I've had over 20 guns at 1 time in the past and felt it was too much. I was VERY paranoid about theft, and having them waste away doing nothing, just to say "I own them".... especially with my kids and their friends around the house. I've trimmed my collection down to a NIB Colt LE6920, Wilson Combat Lightweight SDS, and a Kahr PM4044. My latest addition was a NIB H&K P7M8 since they've been recently discontinued. Unless somone invents something brand NEW I can't live without these will serve me just fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone happy with only a few guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!