Feinstein to retire from Senate

PDA

RealGun
December 30, 2005, 08:12 AM
In researching the Senate seats up for reelection in 2006, I came across mention that Diane Feinstein (D-CA) is over 70 and may leave the Senate to run for Governor of California. Obviously we might have enthusiasm for an end in sight for her rants and legislative intitiatives against gun ownership, at least at the national level.

Here's a scary mental picture for you....Vice President Feinstein at Hillary's right hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feinstein to retire from Senate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kage genin
December 30, 2005, 08:26 AM
Hmm... bringing her back to California might spare the rest of the country... but I still don't want her here :fire:

70 is a great age to retire... to RETIRE ...RETIRE ALREADY!

Sergeant Bob
December 30, 2005, 08:26 AM
It would be nice to get SWINESTIEN out of the Senate and I hope Ahnuld kicks her bum.

antsi
December 30, 2005, 08:58 AM
As deeply vexing and annoying - not to mention dangerous - as I believe Fienstein to be, the real problem is not her but her constituents. There is probably a nutcase or two of Fiensteinian magnitude in just about any community. Most communities, however, do not elect their village idiots to represent them in the Senate.

I have little doubt that the deeply deluded folks of the far left coast will elect someone just as bad, or possibly even worse, when Feinstein is gone.

rick_reno
December 30, 2005, 10:04 AM
She probably doesn't enjoy being the minority party in the Senate - as governor she'd have her bully pulpit back.

RealGun
December 30, 2005, 10:32 AM
She probably doesn't enjoy being the minority party in the Senate

I think that's why Ted Kennedy (mid 70s) and others may hang it up.

yonderway
December 30, 2005, 10:39 AM
Here's a scary mental picture for you....Vice President Feinstein at Hillary's right hand.

This will never happen.

Ever.

Feinstein is a lightning rod. She only enjoys support in her home turf. Most of mainstream America would give her a chilly reception. The NRA would squash her like a bug in a national contest.

yonderway
December 30, 2005, 10:40 AM
It would be nice to get SWINESTIEN out of the Senate and I hope Ahnuld kicks her @$$.

Yeah because everyone knows that Ahnold will protect your constitutional RKBA. :eek:

Pilgrim
December 30, 2005, 11:16 AM
I think that's why Ted Kennedy (mid 70s) and others may hang it up.
Jabba the Hut has been looking pretty ill lately.

Pilgrim

BenW
December 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
The Governor thing is actually very scary to me. She is considered being politically moderate to right-wing by a large portion of the population here. She would have all the Democrats and all the RINOs voting for her, and in my opinion would be a shoe-in.

I'll then be looking forward to handgun bans and a doubling of the State income tax. :barf:

jwhisler
December 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
as soon as she does retire, im bringing the champagne

Langenator
December 30, 2005, 11:58 AM
Feinstein already ran for Gov once, back in 1990, IIRC, and got soundly thumped by then Senator Pete Wilson.

She's not the shoo-in you might think.

allmons
December 30, 2005, 12:01 PM
Oh Please! I despise EVERYTHING Ms Feinstein stands for. If only Mr Schumer,
Ms Boxer and Mr Kennedy would retire, we might have a chance at keeping SOME rights.

Next on my retiree wish list would be John McCain, Robert Byrd, John Kerry and Arlen Spector. Almost anyone would be an improvement.

EDIT: Spelling

:rolleyes:

sfhogman
December 30, 2005, 12:15 PM
Oh good L--d! I wish she would retire and take a political hiatus until I retire and get outta here!

Speaking a little selfishly,
Jeff

countertop
December 30, 2005, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't bet on it. Being a Senator is a pretty easy job with lots and lots and lots of perks and lots and lots and lots of power and little real demands on her. I'd be surprised, real surprised, if she hung it up (unless of course, she has some health issue or something going on)

Lambo
December 30, 2005, 12:21 PM
:)

Don't Tread On Me
December 30, 2005, 12:24 PM
This is good news, and bad news.

First the good news - her anti-gun garbage will no longer be a part of our national politics. That's one less ACTIVE promoter of gun control bills. Even compared to the other anti-gunners, she's the one submitting bills and pushing gun control as if (and it probably is) her sole lifes purpose and goal. Funny how she'd complain that the GOP's legislative priorities were all screwed up in the wake of 9-11 security, yet she couldn't shut her flaps about gun control bills.

The bad news is - she will be replaced with another rabidly anti-gun senator. There's hope though, this is an opportunity, just an opportunity to actually get a somewhat moderate liberal in office, instead of a way leftwing anti-gun nutjob. After the popular vote in San Francisco for a ban on guns, I have ZERO hope or confidence in California.

As governor of California, she will be horrible, but I could care less - that's their problem, like it should be. Feinstein as governor is like nuking the same spot twice - you can't do any more damage to a glass parking lot. At least her anti-Americanism will no longer be a threat to the free state of Florida.

dpesec
December 30, 2005, 12:45 PM
Yes, I'm thankful, but then the cold light of reality hit. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
Just about everybody know she's fruity as a fruitcake, but the new person might be even more extreme.

I think there's going to be a major backlash against the Rebuplican "do nothing" majority (personally, I love it when the government does nothing, actually I wish it would undo the damage it's done). Thus, it's possible to see the zombies back in control of Congress. :eek:

SLCDave
December 30, 2005, 12:48 PM
This sounds like a case of trading the devil you know for one you don't.

Feinstein is a crazy gun-grabbing loon with a definite agenda. Everyone knows that. What you run the risk of getting is someone more likeable, more smooth, more polished, with the same agenda. Don't be so sure that her retirement is cause for celebration.

JJE
December 30, 2005, 01:02 PM
This is the first I've heard of this and it makes my day. California continues to have a lot of serious problems that make the governor's office look pretty unattractive to anyone but a power-mad politician - and I doubt that Ms Feinstein has the stomach for the job.

MrTuffPaws
December 30, 2005, 01:12 PM
How much you wanna bet she will run for governer?

caduckgunner
December 30, 2005, 01:27 PM
God help us subjects in the PRK is she runs:( I can see it now, gun ban (except here CCW and the all the other gun haters in the PRK who have CCW's, doubling of taxes, closure of forests and other rec areas. I only hope god hasn't left Kalifukya yet:banghead:

model 649
December 30, 2005, 01:53 PM
WOW! I don't care for the woman's politics either but what happened to the High Road, folks?
Josh

No_Brakes23
December 30, 2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah because everyone knows that Ahnold will protect your constitutional RKBA. :eek: I dislike Ahnode, too; but I would vote for him in a heartbeat over FeinStalin.

The Governor thing is actually very scary to me. She is considered being politically moderate to right-wing by a large portion of the population here. She would have all the Democrats and all the RINOs voting for her, and in my opinion would be a shoe-in. She is even hated by a number of Dems because she is so conservative and pro-corporate. She is just about everything I hate in a politician. I think San Fran might recall that she has opposed gay marriage as well, (Though I believe she flip-flopped on that issue, just like Kerry.) Take a look at the Moonbats over at DU, they have no love for her. I don't think she is a shoo-in for gov.

WOW! I don't care for the woman's politics either but what happened to the High Road, folks?
Josh What's not High Road here? Just calling a spade and spade in language that shouldn't even rankle Art's Grammaw. Feinstein is a despicable human being who is conservative when it comes to personal freedoms, and liberal when it comes to increasing government bureacracy. Not one week before she voted against the PatAct just out of spite for the Repubs, she was promoting it here in Cali as "Necessary to keep us safe against terrorists." I see nothing wrong or Low Road about calling her a liar and hater of freedom.

Now if she was a poster here, and we called her that to her face, that would be different. But she is a public figure open to attacks against the disgraceful legacy that her political career has consisted of.

No_Brakes23
December 30, 2005, 02:46 PM

bg
December 30, 2005, 03:03 PM
As deeply vexing and annoying - not to mention dangerous - as I believe Fienstein to be, the real problem is not her but her constituents. There is probably a nutcase or two of Fiensteinian magnitude in just about any community. Most communities, however, do not elect their village idiots to represent them in the Senate.

I have little doubt that the deeply deluded folks of the far left coast will elect someone just as bad, or possibly even worse, when Feinstein is gone.
Not all of us. We still have a lot of folks here that know right from
wrong..Though I admit we are getting smaller.

Having Foulstink come back here and run for Gov would be like pouring battery acid
in a open wound..

Waitone
December 30, 2005, 03:12 PM
Having Foulstink come back here and run for Gov would be like pouring battery acid in a open wound.. Actually it would be like a malignancy attacking a malignancy. You folks out there created the monster so maybe you should take one for the cause. :p

Bruce H
December 30, 2005, 04:27 PM
Josh

When dealing with politicians of any stripe you had better be able to gutter fight with the best of them. They hold nothing sacred and I for one believe they should be whipped on a daily basis. These scum sucking vermin that we elect need reminded of who they work for on a daily basis in no uncertain terms. If they take offence at it they can quit and go home.

jer1949
December 30, 2005, 05:08 PM
Feinstein already ran for Gov once, back in 1990, IIRC, and got soundly thumped by then Senator Pete Wilson.

She's not the shoo-in you might think.

I agree. She couldn't win in California right now. She might carry the Bay Area and parts of San Diego, but she would be trounced in the far north state and the San Joaquin Valley.

jer1949
December 30, 2005, 05:13 PM
Actually it would be like a malignancy attacking a malignancy. You folks out there created the monster so maybe you should take one for the cause. :p

I and a lot of others have worked hard at disliking her.....and trying to get her out of office. Don't lump me and my redneck in with her and her Blue A*S.
:neener:

Standing Wolf
December 30, 2005, 06:27 PM
May it be so!

gunfan
December 30, 2005, 06:41 PM
May it be so!

So mote it be! (read: Amen!)

Scott

carp killer
December 30, 2005, 06:44 PM
DIANE FEINSTEIN (California Senator, author of "Feinstein Amendment" which became the ’94 gun ban): "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them… ‘Mr. and Mrs. America, turn ‘em all in,’ I would have done it." (60 Minutes episode, CBS) [Sen Feinstein holds a CCP]

Good luck California gun owners.:(

I think she would have the votes in California.

yonderway
December 30, 2005, 06:54 PM
In researching the Senate seats up for reelection in 2006, I came across mention that Diane Feinstein (D-CA) is over 70 and may leave the Senate to run for Governor of California. Obviously we might have enthusiasm for an end in sight for her rants and legislative intitiatives against gun ownership, at least at the national level.

Hate to be a party pooper, but you can forget all hopes of Feinswine leaving office in '06.
The state's most popular Democrat, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, is running for re-election and is supporting state Treasurer Phil Angelides in the governor's race.

Source: http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3355100

vynx
December 30, 2005, 06:58 PM
I hope it is true because if it is I'll believe in Santy Claus again!

But NOT if she wins as Governor...Laws enacted in California are seen as precedents for other states so no one should ever want Feinstein to be a Governor.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feinstein to retire from Senate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!