John Ross on PDF???

PDA

Bigjake
December 30, 2005, 07:02 PM
Going on a cruise, leaving tomorow actually, and i was wondering if anybody has a copy of Unintended Consequences in PDF form??? i'd like to read it over again, but the massive hardback copy really doesnt fit my carryon

If you enjoyed reading about "John Ross on PDF???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beaucoup ammo
December 30, 2005, 07:12 PM
This 900+ page masterpiece could be ordered on Amazon..pick it up in port? Good luck!

Try the web, if you haven't already..might luck out and find it.

redneckrepairs
December 30, 2005, 07:38 PM
One of the Great all time books imho anyone who dont own it should buy a copy and bigjake check your pm box here please

grimlock
December 30, 2005, 08:22 PM
Bigjake, you've got PM.

exoduster18
December 30, 2005, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't mind having it in PDF either....I work at a bookstore and they can't seem to order it for me. Don't know why, but it seems that the Distribution Center can't get it.

taliv
December 30, 2005, 10:13 PM
hold on just a minute. something's amiss.

you're going on a CRUISE and you want a PDF copy of _UC_??

i know it's a good book and we're a bunch of gun nuts and all, but holy crap, dude. leave the laptop at home and go enjoy the cruise!

you've got the rest of the winter to sit around and read

redneckrepairs
December 30, 2005, 10:23 PM
My pdf resides on my palm and it beats hell outa watching the shuffleboard turny LOL

bogie
December 30, 2005, 10:56 PM
1) John's book is copyrighted material. Pay for it please.

2) From John's web site...

Why wonít my bookstore carry Unintended Consequences? Isnít that censorship?

No. Bookstores stock very few hardcover fiction titles that are more than three months old. The modern bookselling cycle follows a predictable pattern: First, the bookstore gets a pile of new hardcover books in, and displays them prominently for a month or two while thereís a big ad blitz paid for by the publisher. Then, after about 8 weeks, they send the ones that havenít sold back to the publisher for a full refund, then buy them again for ten cents on the dollar (nonreturnable) and blow them out on the "sale books" shelf at about the same time the mass market paperback edition comes out.

Unintended Consequences has had sales build the old-fashioned way, gradually and through word-of-mouth, with no publicity blitz. It is selling faster now than when it first came out. Your bookstore will order it if you ask them to.

=====

What has been your proudest moment as a writer?

There were a number of good memories, such as getting my first four-figure check, seeing the pallets of bound copies of my novel at the publisher's warehouse, doing my first public book signing, and getting asked to address a discussion club for the first time.

However, these all pale compared to what happened when I listened to my voicemail messages one day and heard the following message:

[Agitated woman] "John Ross? Is this thing recording? I just thought you'd like to know that you and your goddamn book have ruined my honeymoon. Probably my marriage, too. I can't believe my-" [muffled sound, a second voice, faint, as if a hand is over the receiver, then the hand being pried off] "Give me that... you bastard, you haven't
even-" [more muffled noises, then a man's voice on the phone:

[Man] "Mr. Ross?"

[The woman, from several feet away] "It's his answering machine."

[Man] "Oh." [relieved] "Uh...Mr. Ross, this is, uh, well, never mind my name, but-"

[Woman in background, yelling] "His name's _________! [name deleted for privacy]

[Man] "Yeah, uh it's_________, that's right. Uh, Mr. Ross, I'm kind of on my honeymoon, and-"

[Woman, screaming now] "KIND OF on your honeymoon?" [muffled sound of hand covering receiver, alternating screaming and soothing tones, but I can't make out the words]

[Man] "Listen, I started reading your book on the plane 'cause it was a four hour flight, you know, and now I just can't put it down. And it's pretty long, you know, so I'm still not finished, and my wife, well, I haven't been paying enough attention to her, and-"

[Woman, screaming loud enough for me to hear even though the man quickly covers the mouthpiece again] "IT'S THE SECOND DAY OF OUR HONEYMOON AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN (censored for tender ears...)!"

[Man] Um, I guess you heard that, Mr. Ross. Look, everything's going to be okay, I'm almost finished with it and I can't tell you how much I'm enj- GIVE ME THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!" [Sound of scuffle and phone being hung up].

I got a follow-up call a day later, where the husband assured me that everything was all right and his wife wasn't going to file for an annulment.

DO NOT TAKE IT ON THE CRUISE. DO CRUISE STUFF!

taliv
December 30, 2005, 11:54 PM
redneck, heh, you got me on the PDA part. i've never been on a cruise, but i assumed there was something better than shuffleboard to do. e.g. pick up women or spend time with one you brought, eat until there's no room left in your esaphagus, etc. maybe i watched too much Love Boat in my formative years :)

Molon Labe
December 31, 2005, 12:31 AM
As mentioned, UC is copyrighted material. Downloading it is akin to receiving stolen goods. :mad:

KnightHawk67
December 31, 2005, 12:53 AM
Maybe not ML, I have been getting books downloaded from Amazon in electronic format. You pay before you download and everythings on the level.

Bigjake
December 31, 2005, 04:23 AM
thanks to those who've been helpful, and a big "bite me" to the holier than thou types who didn't bother to read my entire post and see that I DID PURCHASE Mr. Ross's book in the store. see ya'll back here in a week :evil:

thanks again everybody, and happy new years

TarpleyG
December 31, 2005, 10:08 AM
As mentioned, UC is copyrighted material. Downloading it is akin to receiving stolen goods.
Maybe not if he already owns a paper copy of it.

Greg

beaucoup ammo
December 31, 2005, 10:30 AM
Being in the record (CD) business has been rewarding. However, when your product is illegally downloaded and passed around..it's theft pure and simple.

If you were a baker and someone walked in, took a loaf of bread and walked out without paying..what would you do? Exactly.

Take Care and Save Your Receipts!:O)

Raph84
December 31, 2005, 08:39 PM
I think Its more like stealing the recipe. Because when something is "stolen" electronicaly no actual physical product is taken (and thus no actual monetary harm). The only harm is in assumed loss of revenue.

If you enjoyed reading about "John Ross on PDF???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!