New Guy/Questions about NYS

PDA

WannaBe
December 30, 2005, 08:51 PM
First let me introduce myself. My name is Chris and I guess you could consider me a 'closet gun-nut'. I don't own a gun, but know a decent amount about them. I shoot twice a year when I go to Pennsylvania. It's one of thos shooting ranges that has all sorts of guns (from .22's to .44 Desert Eagles and 9mm Uzi's to SKS's) and you pay a certain price for a certain amount of rounds and shoot away. I really enjoy it and I am looking to get into it as a hobby.

Now here is where I run into a dilemma. I have been looking at getting a rifle to target shoot with. I have been looking for one that is fairly inexpensive and that looks like an M16. I just like the way they look and think they are the most comfortable when shooting. I have found one here at a local dealer: Scroll all the way down, please (http://lisc.net/p394.htm)

Anyway, the problem I ran into was although the U.S. government lifted the ban on assault rifles, New York State has their own :banghead: And from what I have read was that anything with a removable magazine and pistol grip is considered an assault rifle.

So do any of you fine people know if I could buy this rifle and target with it legally in NYS (specifically Long Island)? WOuld I need any special licsenses? Is there anything I am over-looking here?

Any help is appreciated. And, if this is the wrong section I apologize. If the mods want to move it, please go right ahead.

Thanks,

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "New Guy/Questions about NYS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RCL
December 30, 2005, 09:14 PM
From the pictures and the description I see can nothing that would make these illegal to own in New York State, with the exception possibly of NY City.
However, I would go visit the dealer and ask them. They should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Taurus 66
December 30, 2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah, you can buy those in New York, no special license required, and you can target practice with it at virtually every shooting range. I have a Colt HBAR and no local or state authorities have come knocking for it ....... yet. And you know something else? The 50 BMG is still legal to purchase here, so :neener: to all **********ns.

MatthewVanitas
December 31, 2005, 02:55 AM
Now here is where I run into a dilemma. I have been looking at getting a rifle to target shoot with. I have been looking for one that is fairly inexpensive and that looks like an M16. I just like the way they look and think they are the most comfortable when shooting. I have found one here at a local dealer: Scroll all the way down, please (http://lisc.net/p394.htm)

Greetings. The type of rifle you are looking at is the AR-15 type, which is essentially the same as the military M16 family, except for not having a 3-round burst or full auto setting. Good quality AR-15 start out around $600.

You could buy a Colt AR-15 off the rack if you are so inclined, but if you want to spend a little time researching it, there is a huge, huge world of AR-15 possibilities out there. Dozens of possible options for stock/barrel/sights/grips/cartridge, etc. and almost all completely interchangeable and modular. It's very easy to "build" the exact rifle you want, with fewer skills than needed to assemble Ikea furniture. If you want a taste of the possibilities, peruse this 40-page thread full of example picutures from www.ar15.com : http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=254497

And a lot of these can be assembled for far under the prices shown on the site you linked to. I just got my "custom" AR-15 upper receiver from Bushmaster (M4-profile barrel M16A1 Dissipator for those curious) for $505, add onto that a $149 lower-receiver and a $70 ACE skeleton stock (high quality) and buffer, and I've got exactly the rifle I wanted. The "assembly" is no more complicated than the disassembly you do to clean the rifle.

I'll leave your NYS legality questions to folks that live there, but the overall gist: that rifle is an AR-15, a ton of folks have them and love them, and you can affordably get one with whatever features you can dream up and the free market can create. Good luck in your quest, -MV

WannaBe
December 31, 2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it. I'll have to go talk to the dealer and see what he says. I will have to start poking around on-line and do some price-shopping.

Thanks for all the info,

Chris

Fly320s
December 31, 2005, 10:57 AM
WannaBe,

Check out Coliseum Gun Traders. They are on LI.

I bought a pistol from them through Guns America, or maybe Gun Broker. They were a pleasure to deal with, and they mentioned that they have a large inventory.

edited to add: 1180 HEMPSTEAD TPKE.
UNIONDALE, NY 11553 516-481-3593

GoBrush
December 31, 2005, 11:17 AM
Good luck friend we need more New Yorkers like you once you get it begin spreading the good word and convert others. Remember "More Guns Less Crime"

WannaBe
December 31, 2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks Fly320, I will definately check them out. I will take Monday to ride around looking at some places as I have off. They should be right across from the Nassau Collesium. Thanks for the info.

GoBrush, I will definately try adn spread the word, but the people around here have that "guns kill people" attitude. That's only becasue they don't understand them. But, I will do my best.

And I have one more question. I see a lot of people here refering to "CCW". What exactly is it? "C? Concealed Weapon? Compact?

Thanks again for explaining some stuff to a new-guy,

Chris

Fly320s
January 1, 2006, 06:43 AM
CCW = generic term for Carrying a Concealed Weapon. Variously known as a Handgun Carry Permit or a Concealed Weapons License, etc.

Hawkmoon
January 1, 2006, 11:01 AM
First let me introduce myself. My name is Chris and I guess you could consider me a 'closet gun-nut'. I don't own a gun, but know a decent amount about them. I shoot twice a year when I go to Pennsylvania. It's one of thos shooting ranges that has all sorts of guns (from .22's to .44 Desert Eagles and 9mm Uzi's to SKS's) and you pay a certain price for a certain amount of rounds and shoot away. I really enjoy it and I am looking to get into it as a hobby.

Anyway, the problem I ran into was although the U.S. government lifted the ban on assault rifles, New York State has their own :banghead: And from what I have read was that anything with a removable magazine and pistol grip is considered an assault rifle.

So do any of you fine people know if I could buy this rifle and target with it legally in NYS (specifically Long Island)? WOuld I need any special licsenses? Is there anything I am over-looking here?

Any help is appreciated. And, if this is the wrong section I apologize. If the mods want to move it, please go right ahead.

Thanks,

Chris
If it is for sale by a legitimate shop in NY State, it is probably legal in NY State. But you are wise to verify.

Most of the states that enacted "assault" weapons bans modeled them after the now-defunct Federal ban. They generally include a laundry list of evil, scary features and limit the gun to not more than two of the above. For example, when I lived in CT (during the Federal ban) I bought an AR-15. It was legal because it didn't have a flash hider or a bayonet lug. It is my understanding that CT still has an assault weapons ban on the books, but my rifle was legal then and would still be legal there today.

I am not familiar with NY's laws, but I rather expect them to be similar.

GRB
January 1, 2006, 11:29 AM
CCW = generic term for Carrying a Concealed Weapon. Variously known as a Handgun Carry Permit or a Concealed Weapons License, etc.Wasn't the original meaning of CCW - Concealed Carry Weapon? I must be getting old, all these new changes to the terminology have my head spinning.

As to Coliseum Gun Traders, great place to do business. Bought my son a new 10/22 there last year, brought it back because of a minor defect, they exchanged it immediately. They have a fairly nice selection of firearms too. They do tend to be a little bit expensive but then again so do virtually all dealers on Long Island.

As to the AR15, I am fairly certain it was banned by NYS. However, I beleive that certain manufacturer modifications allowed versions of it to be sold here legally. Ask them at Coliseum Gun Traders, they will know for sure. If you buy the rifle, you can go to the Nassau County Rifle Range to test fire it. That is just behind and to the left of the Coliseum as you face the Coliseum from Coliseum Gun Traders. Only a 25 yard indoor range, no full metal jacket ammo - though hollow points usually ok), but a decent place to shoot if at a short range.

WannaBe
January 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Glenn, I have been looking around at some places on the Island to shoot. I have found one outdoor place, and one indoor place. Plus the one that you just told me about. I am looking for a place out-doors where I can shoot a rifle a decent range. Do you know of any places on the Island that I can go?

Like, where do you prefer to shoot at? Thanks a lot.

Chris

wdlsguy
January 1, 2006, 01:24 PM
And I have one more question. I see a lot of people here refering to "CCW". What exactly is it?

Lots of good information on CCW in New York here (http://www.packing.org/state/new_york). An unrestricted license to carry is probably going to be hard to come by on Long Island though.

Snagglepuss
January 1, 2006, 01:43 PM
Just for options, there are many out there as mentioned above. These fit my price range and quality is very high.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/223.asp

To buy

Entry level $629

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?Action=closeup&prod=DPMSRFA2-LPC

others

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?Action=DPMS&PHPSESSID=97a00bd4f7d29a8a4cdc86f1489560e3

Mine - Love it

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?Action=closeup&prod=DPMSRFA2-B16

Happy Hunting:D :D

PS - I just noticed that at the bottom of their listings DPMS states that "pre-ban" rifles are not allowed in NY. These choices are post-ban.

Fudgie Ghost
January 1, 2006, 01:44 PM
WannaBe: There is a public range out in Calverton. Exit 71 off the LIE. Go right off the exit, and proceed about 3/4 of a mile. Entrance will be on your right. If you go out there during the week, it's only $10 all day per person shooting.

No running water. Porta-johns only. They used to have a "roach coach", but the last time I went, nothing came by---so bring your own food and drinks. No rapid fire. You can shoot fairly quickly---blam. . blam. . .blam, but not blamblamblam. Also, if you go during the warmer months, there is NO shade of any sort. So wear a hat and sunscreen. The range is a former sand/gravel pit.

Also, you may want to visit ar15.com, as they have a "hometown" section, and within the NYS section, there are quite a few "LungIslanders". Read and learn on that and this board--do not be afraid to ask what you might think are "dumb" questions. There are many here and there who will be glad to help out a "newbie".

NYenthusiast
January 1, 2006, 02:09 PM
More Long Islanders, yay!!!!

pythonguy
January 1, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Chris,

I live on Long Island in Suffolk county, I also own several AR-15's, which is the civilian version of the M-16. First off, you can own pre-ban, or pre Sept 1994 manufactured AR-15's with all the features that are now banned. And you can own new AR-15's as long as they don't have three of the banned features, pistol grip, movable stock, flash hider, and bayonet lug. You can get the new models like a Colt 6400c with the pistol grip, but fixed stock, no bayonet lug and a muzzle break instead of a flash hider. The same applies to the magazines, if its pre-ban (sept1994) it can be high capacity, new ones have to be fewer rounds. I shoot at the nassau county range for indoors, hollow or soft point ammo only, and the outdoor range in Huntington for 50 and 100 yard outdoor shooting. There is a dealer of AR-15's in Bohemia Long Island, and one nearer you in Seaford called T&T gunnery. As mentioned Coliseum Gun Traders are super nice guys, a bit pricey though, although most stores on Long Island are. If you have any more questions feel free to MSG me, and for all the info you want on these guns, visit www.ar15.com. By the way, I go to the poconos one a year and stay at Brookdale, there is a range in MT. Pocono you can rent anything and its outdoors, same one you mentioned?

Snagglepuss
January 1, 2006, 02:42 PM
I am going to clarify my above post after reading Pythonguys post. You can own pre-ban you just can buy them from a dealer. Is this correct Mr. P?:confused:

pythonguy
January 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
Actually, you can buy a pre-ban AR-15 from any dealer, in NY, or in another state and sent to a local FFL. There are currently no restrictions about buying pre-ban AR-15's or magazines in NY.

WannaBe
January 1, 2006, 04:45 PM
Snagglepuss, thanks for the links. I will definatley be doing some reading when I get done here.

Fudgie, that range sounds like a hike! (I am in Hicksville) But, I wouldn't mind. I think I have a buddy that went there a few times. I will have to check it out.

Python, I sent you a PM.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate all the help you have given to this newbie. Hopefully I will be back more often in the future with my new AR. :cool: Either way, I will be lurking.

THanks again,
Chris

Fudgie Ghost
January 1, 2006, 06:57 PM
WannaBe: Dude, I go out there from Westchester county! How's that for a hike!

GRB
January 2, 2006, 12:12 AM
Chris,

I have shot at:
Nassau County Range (http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Parks/WhereToGo/recreation/NC_rifle_range.html). Fairly good range, polite personnel. All indoors, soda machine, clean restrooms, sell targets and .22 ammo. No range officers on range while you shoot, they monitor from outside the rear glass wall or by camera. Hand crank target lines. They charge by the hour, fairly expensive for a Nassau County resident at &7.50 per hour if I remember right. I think over $10 per hour for a nonresident. Less expensive for supervised kids.They also have a bulletin board on which regular folks can post gun for sale ads or wanted ads.

The Long Island Shooting Range of Brookhaven (http://www.longislandshootingrange.com/)(It is outdoors, offers rifle, pistol and shotgun. It has a restaurant that has never been open when I have been there. Has a store that sells ammo and targets in the main check in office. It has restrooms. It has trap and skeet ranges. It has rifle ranges out to at least 100 maybe 150 yards. All shooting on rifle range is from seated bench rest - kind of stinks but that is the rule. It also offers archery. Be careful of their cease fire warning as opposed to STOP SHOOTING command. I heard Cease Fire one day, stopped shooting, cleared my firearm and took off headset and the guy next to me blasted of a Moisan Nagant round. Then they said stop shooting to effect a cease fire - very starnge plus a big time ouch and rinnnngggggggggggg. I have shot there a few times with my son on the trap range, lots of fun. About $5.00 for one round of 25 targets - you supply your own ammo; it sure can add up in a short time with 2 people shooting.

The Town of Huntington Range on Spagnoli Road off of Route 110. It is outdoors for pistol, rifle and shotgun. I think up to 125 yards no trap or skeet as far as I am aware. Small office where you check in, and they did have toilet facilities. The best by far from what I have seen for range safety, although I will admit some guy who brought his kids to shoot (I think the dad was pretty much a greenhorn in the world of firearms) pointed a rifle at my back about three times while there. I caught him doing it only once, the range officers later told me it had been three times. Just once was enough for me, it was pointing at me for quite a few seconds at least. It sure had me seeing red for a moment. What does Kim Du Toit call it: a RCB (red curtain of blood) moment. I started to walk over to talk to him about not pointing a rifle at me while showing his kids how it worked when one of the instructors really got on his case - sternly but yet soft spoken and politely. I had not realized this was the third time he had pointed it at me until they told me so later. They also said they were about to make him leave the range but it appeared he finally learned his lesson on chance 3 and after being embarrassed in front of his kids 3 times. Better late than never. Well I figured it could happen anywhere and they stood right next to him for the remainder of the time he had to shoot there. They seemed pretty attentive to what was going on, they also were very polite. He did seem to finally get it.

The Long Island Shooting Center (http://www.lisc.net/) is a private indoor range. It is part of a gun store. It has 20 or 25 yard shooting points. It was ok for a rainy day, or better yet, if you buy a gun from them and cannot wait to shoot it.

Calverton Shooting Range is just about free of any supervision (or was the only 1 or 2 time(s) I was there). That is unless you start to shoot rapid fire and the range officer drives over to see who is breaking that rule. You can shoot just about anything you have legally at a fairly slow semi auto or single round pace. I do not know if they have a web site but you can get some info on them and on many other ranges on Long Island at the NRA National Shooting Range Registry for New York State at: http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=NY (http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=NY) I just got that link from someone else on THR. It is a great link.

I have been to at least one or two others years ago like the Town Of Islip range, but I do not remember much about it. I guess out of the ones above, I prefer the Town of Huntington Range (not too far from me), and the Nassau County Rifle Range (very close to me). For trap shooting I have to go to Brookhaven which is about a 60 mile drive each way, if there is traffic that can be 1 hour drive each way. There are quite a few other Long Island ranges on the Shooting Range Registry, some I never even syuspected were where they are located. I'll have to try some of them, such as the one in East Meadow, soon.

All the best,
GB

secamp32
January 2, 2006, 01:22 AM
22. "Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an
ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the
following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
flash suppressor;
(v) a grenade launcher; or
(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following
characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm;
or
(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such
weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known
as:
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all
models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street
Sweeper and Striker 12;
:banghead:

hso
January 2, 2006, 08:02 AM
Actually, you can buy a pre-ban AR-15 from any dealer, in NY, or in another state and sent to a local FFL. There are currently no restriction about buying pre-ban AR-15's or magazines in NY.

And all those folks that spent big money on pre-bans when the price was high now have the opportunity to sell their guns to an artificailly created market for as much as they put into them. (of course a good corned beef sandwich costs more down here than up there)

If you enjoyed reading about "New Guy/Questions about NYS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!