Mature Shooters Wanted

PDA

GoBrush
January 1, 2006, 12:29 PM
I posted this in another thread and wanted to know your opinions on this senerio. I have acually seen this several times.

I LOVE to see 60 plus gentleman or woman (could be anyones grandparents) that come into the gun store (probably for the first time) ask very detailed questions about what gun would be good to start with what caliber to start with what is best for home protection etc. Ask about classes offered and questions about where they can shoot. Then plunk their mola down for gun, lots of ammo, and range pass. Even though they usually get the 5 minute safety lesson from the sales man these people are so teachable and want to do everything the right way. I have never asked but offten wanted to ask what life changing experience happend to them to make these changes. I am sure they would have some pretty scary stories to tell. Any way when we see people like this we should stand there and greet them into the shooting and self defense world.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mature Shooters Wanted" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gunpacker
January 1, 2006, 01:15 PM
I used to teach a Home Defense/Introduction to shooting NRA course in S. FL. for a while in the 80s. Lots of older folks along with younger folks, and predominantly women. Many had scary tales of being frightened into getting a firearm. It was a privilege to teach them, because they listened so well and did exactly as you said. If you teach them correctly, they are programmed for life. When we had husband/wife combos come in, it was usually the women that shot best, with men having an "yeah, yeah" attitude, and just knowing that they could shoot without a teacher. It is so simple, and after all they were men, and shooting just comes naturally to real men.

Guy B. Meredith
January 1, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hmmm. Does 52 qualify? I'm 60 now (see photo), but bought my first handgun at age 52.

(Had a much neglected--maybe 30 years--Mossberg bolt action 12 GA and Remington .22 cal model 514 single shot rifle.)

Ostensibly the reason was in response to my wife's concern about the company my daughter was keeping at the time, a young lad lounging in the Alameda County jail while awaiting transfer to San Quentin. Drug charges, I believe, on top of a long criminal history. We had thoughts that his buddies might decide to look up the girl friend's family, bought a 686+ and took two handgun classes at the local range.

The real reason is that I have always liked firearms but am very parsimonious. This just gave me an excuse to break free and spend a few bucks on myself. This led to a second purchase--a Ruger MK512--and entry into USPA type competition 8 months later.

Oh yeah, my wife was the first best shot as I began with full power .357 magnum loads and she used more sensible .38 spl. She has failed to keep up as the jailbird is history and I have far surpassed her now.

exoduster18
January 2, 2006, 12:24 AM
These people haven't always had a life changing experience. I've seen many that want to do something more with their children or grand children. Something to do with their children like when they were younger. Makes them feel young again. And you're only as old as you feel!!

cambeul41
January 2, 2006, 10:32 AM
Perhaps I am one of those frosty haired folks that you have seen in gun stores asking newbie type questions.

I am in my mid-60s. I carried a Walther PP in Thailand during my early 30s, but I had little practice and almost no training other than what I read in the gun mags and what a few friends passed on, -- both the good and the bad. Although I continued to like guns, I was not involved with them after leaving Southeast Asia. No particular event that I am aware of caused the renewal of my interest other than the fact that I realized that I was becoming increasingly aware that I was former martial artist rather than an active martial artist. Perhaps thoughts of 9-11 were percolating in the back of my head. I visited a few gun stores and left fliers advertising CCW classes lying around the house.

My wife was, until a couple of years ago, a hoplophobe; but I work in Detroit. After a particularly murderous weekend there, during a particularly murderous month, she decided that, despite her fear of guns, she wanted me to carry. She also decided to join me in the CCW class because she believes that we should do whatever we can together. The required range time almost totally stressed her out.

She will tell you that her change of mind was a result of 9-11, but I think something else was a significant factor. A couple of months later, in peaceful a suburban park near a police station, a maniac rushed at her with a club. Before he struck, he saw me coming to her defense and backed off. No one was hurt, but she then understood that danger can come at any time and anyplace.

After taking the class but before that attack, we had visited gun stores shopping around for what we wanted. We felt no sense of urgency. She still feared guns and I had to hold her wrist and insert each gun into her hand before she would even hold it. Of course, the male salesmen suggested revolvers and mouse guns. They all seemed to agree that she should not consider anything more powerful than 9 mm.

Finally, on a business trip to Tennessee, upon hearing that she was gun shopping, a contact took her to a private shooting range where he and some others let her try a variety of hand guns and long guns. She discovered that she was no longer afraid to shoot anything, and she fell in love with a .40 cal Glock 23. Now she has and carries her own.

A follow-up to this came early last year when she was interviewing for a new job. She was told the job was stressful and was asked what she did to relieve stress. She answered that she liked to walk the dog and read; but when she was severely stressed, she liked to go to the shooting range and practice. To her, now, the range is a place of Zen-like calm and tranquility. Yes she got the job, and now she manages to work lessons about guns and shooting into frequent business presentations.

birddog
January 2, 2006, 10:43 AM
cambeul41

Excellent post. Welcome to THR.

USNCHIEF
January 2, 2006, 12:46 PM
I am twice retired...1st USN..2nd Civilian NTI career. I was a shooter in the Navy..qualified "Expert Pistol and Rifle". But, in those days, of course you qualified with a piece known as the M1 and .45. I nce owned 17 guns...they were stolen soome time ago. I eventually purchased a couple of shot guns and a handgun but did not use them so I gave them to my relatives. I have some medical problems that forced me to give up golf so I asked my son in law to return my Ruger MKII .22. Well after that I realized I still like the smell of gun oil so I am now rebuilding my inventory. I got a CCW this year and carry a KelTec P3AT. I purchased a SW9VE a few days ago so I now can practice with my .22 and "plink" with my 9mm. I shoot about 50rounds a month thru my .380. To those that don't know...Shooting is much more entertaining than "hitting that little white ball".

GoBrush
January 2, 2006, 11:29 PM
All good stories so far Welcome and thank you to all.

One of my first experiences with this was actually a little old lady probably 75 or so bought a 357 and after asking advice of sales person and after I piped in with my two cents bought a bunch of 38spl ammo to practice with she also bought a punch pass for the range. My main reason for the post is that I love seeing new shooters joining the ranks of the shooting sports and it is particularly rewarding when I see older wiser folks joining in.

To all I say spread the good word!

Continue Posting all, very interested in these types of stories.

ExtremeDooty
January 3, 2006, 12:12 AM
I realized that I was becoming increasingly aware that I was former martial artist rather than an active martial artist.

That was a sad, but honest, realization for me as well. Just because I can't fight any more doesn't mean I'm willing to become a victim.

Welcome aboard.

exoduster18
January 3, 2006, 12:27 AM
As for older people shooting.....My great grandmother (who is 75!!) still actively shoots her 357 snubbie (It's a Smith and Wesson I believe) at 7 yards and achieves very amazing groups. She has fun with it when she goes to the range. It is her everyday CCW snubbie.

GRB
January 3, 2006, 01:16 AM
I have never asked but offten wanted to ask what life changing experience happend to them to make these changes.They just retired, kicked their kids out of the house, and realize they have to protect the home front from all invaders who want to take away what little they get for retirement - including from their kids!

Bob F.
January 3, 2006, 01:32 PM
Welcome, folks! Think you'll enjoy it here!

Thailand.. ca1975...PPK...should be some interesting stories there, if you can tell them.

Good post all!

Stay safe.
Bob

RioShooter
January 3, 2006, 02:23 PM
cambeul41,

If this forum had a rating system, I'd rate your first post as a MUST READ.

Welcome!

cambeul41
January 3, 2006, 02:50 PM
cambeul41,

Welcome!

I much appreciate your saying so. There is another site which has such a system, but it abused.

I have lurking at THR for sometime and doing so daily for the last two months. I like the people I am meeting here. They seem like a great bunch.

Bob F.
January 3, 2006, 11:29 PM
cambeul41,

Welcome!

Check top right just above first post!? I've never tried it myself.
Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Mature Shooters Wanted" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!