Stainless or tennifer finish?

PDA

DJCharlie
April 7, 2003, 08:16 PM
Alright fellas i narrowed it down to two guns walther p99 w/ tennifer or the new sig 226 w/rails in stainless finish. Just wondering which finish is better.... lasting the longest.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless or tennifer finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HRT
April 7, 2003, 08:26 PM
DJ
Depends on what you want. I personally think that a stainless gun is better used for a boat anchor than for concealed carry. Please no flames, just my personal opinion based on alot of experience watching people when they don't think any one is paying them any mind and stainless flashes alot more obviously. My G27 has a tennifer finish and while it has worn in some places to a gray color it has earned the fading noblely anhd honestly. What I can say that despite the fading the finish still protects the steel from my agressive perspiration. FYI I have to wear Ti glasses frames because anything else lasts less than a year before my sweat eats it up. I wish I could find an applier of tennifer for my Kimber and Wilson.. Al in all it comes down to your personal preferences.

blades67
April 7, 2003, 08:26 PM
I think the Tennifer finish will last longer.

bad_dad_brad
April 7, 2003, 08:46 PM
Tennifer is tougher.

JohnKSa
April 7, 2003, 09:41 PM
Tenifer is MUCH harder and is also more corrosion resistant than stainless steel.

The wear seen on Glock pistols is not wear of the tenifer. It is wear in the parkerized black finish put over the tenifer to make it non-glare. The grayish finish underneath the parkerizing is the tenifer and it will not wear off.

For those who wish, Glock will reparkerize the slide for a very reasonable fee.

forcefed
April 7, 2003, 10:10 PM
The tennifer on my p99 was amazing. I would always accidently rub up against anything from concrete to ats34 knives and nothing would scatch it. It would usually leave a bit of material on the slide from the object it met, but would rub right off with a finger. Never had to worry about keeping it oiled either.

-Mike

M1911
April 7, 2003, 10:19 PM
Stainless is not a finish, per se, -- it is a type of steel. A stainless gun is stainless all the way through.

Yes, tenifer is a stronger finish than stainless steel. That is, tenifer is less likely to rust than stainless. But stainless is pretty darn rust resistant with a minimum of maintenance.

Personally, the finish would be the least of my concerns when choosing between the two guns -- both have a perfectly acceptable finish.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless or tennifer finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!