NOLA and things that go bump

PDA

Oleg Volk
January 1, 2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/homefront_L9L5813.sized.jpg

Read more about that lovely episode: http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/12/gun-story-of-2005.html

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/bump_L9L5799.sized.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "NOLA and things that go bump" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SomeKid
January 1, 2006, 03:14 PM
I wish I had a Thompson like that.

Seven High
January 1, 2006, 03:41 PM
How about a bumper sticker or t shirt with "Remember New Orleans" on it? Does anyone sell these or would be interested in manufacturing them?

Oleg Volk
January 1, 2006, 03:56 PM
Somekid,

It's an Auto-Ordnance carbine, it doesn't actually work most of the time.

Mizzle187
January 1, 2006, 04:11 PM
The statement about almsot every firearm in North LA being bought after Katrina was dead on. I know I live in now the 2nd Biggest city in LA(once N.O. was destroyed) and I can tell you this that prices of firearms werent gouged at the time they were drasticlly reduced. The local gun shops di what they could! Great links!!

USNCHIEF
January 1, 2006, 04:20 PM
Ay yes...... .45 cal butt kickin.....inaccurate.....whobbly...but reliable piece!!!!!!

carebear
January 1, 2006, 07:28 PM
I don't know about inaccurate. The one I fired kept a nice group and the owner could almost write his name with it. Original Thompson too, older than my Dad. :D

Oleg,

As for the poster, I understand Thompsons look way cool but even the uneducated know it's a full auto and thus isn't the typical gun civilians own and the cops thus took away from NO residents. If the audience is fence sitters or knee jerk anti's, it's a horrible gun choice.

A plain jane shotgun or rifle (wood and metal, not "tactical'd up) or blue and wood revolver (anti's think revolvers are "safer" and more "appropriate" for civilians in my experience) would resonate more as the only kind of guns she should have been "allowed" to have in the first place and thus more inappropriate for the police to deprive her of in a crisis.

If you have a FA, or some tactical scoped hi-cap black rifle or Surefired shotgun or Glock with a mounted light, you are handing the intended audience the image of a "gun nut/survivalist/likely vigilante" not "honest American gun owner, like grampa was".

If you hand them that negative (to their mind) image to start out, you enable them to dismiss the message out of hand (those kind of people shouldn't have those kinds of guns anyway) rather than forcing them to deal with the real issue of disarmament of good people.

A lot of your stuff is in theory aimed outside the gun community but contains elements that undercut your message simply because we (as a community) don't bother to look at them through the eyes of the opposition and throw in stuff we take for granted as acceptable or cool. (milsurps with bayonets rather than old wood remingtons etc.)

We need to walk the line between what we should be able to do and still get the message across and what will actually undercut our own message.

That is, if we are truly attempting to change minds rather than just throw our beliefs at folks as "self-evident".

If you enjoyed reading about "NOLA and things that go bump" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!