Aussie Flag not allowed at Aussie beach....not kidding.....

PDA

hillbilly
January 1, 2006, 09:21 PM
Uh, well......just damn...........

Apparently, the Australian flag is no longer welcome over Australian land because to display the national flag over national territory might "offend" some folks who belong to a certain well-known religion of peace..................

:rolleyes:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17709066^662,00.html

Bondi waves goodbye to Aussie flag
Steve Gee and Larissa Cummings
02jan06

PLANS to erect the Australian flag over the Bondi Beach pavilion were vetoed because of fears the symbols could incite further racial violence on Sydney's beaches.

In a decision met with outrage from residents, returned servicemen and ethnic groups, Waverley Council voted six to four against the proposal, declaring Australia's most famous beach should remain clear of flags to "remove provocation".
Mayor Mora Main and fellow Green George Copeland led a block of Labor councillors, including deputy mayor George Newhouse, Peter Moscatt and Ingrid Strewe, vetoing the plan by Liberal councillor Joy Clayton on December 13.

The Australian flag and an Aboriginal flag were to be provided by Wentworth Liberal MP Malcolm Turnbull, who yesterday led a chorus of opposition to the move.

But an unapologetic Cr Copeland said the council remained concerned about a repeat of the racial violence that erupted at Cronulla before Christmas.

"The previous weekend, the Cronulla riots happened and in those riots, the Australian flag was used by both sides as a symbol around which to perpetrate racial violence," Cr Copeland said.

"The people from Lakemba burnt the flag and the Cronulla people swathed themselves in it while pounding people.

"It was used a symbol for racial violence and we didn't want to wave a red rag in front of either side on New Year's Eve."

Muslim leaders yesterday described the decision as misguided and presumptuous.

Founder of the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia, Keysar Trad, said decisions made on behalf of the Muslim community with no consultation caused only further division.

"To suggest in the slightest Muslims would be offended at the sight of the Australian flag is naive," Mr Trad said.

"Many Muslims call Australia home and they are just as happy to see the flag flying high as any other Australians."

Waverly Council has also offended community organisations that proudly fly the national flag daily.

NSW Police Association president Bob Pritchard said he could not envisage any context under which the Australian flag would incite racial tensions.

"I can't see any justification for not flying the national flag. It represents us all -- it should not represent any separation of race or instil any feelings of racial tension," Mr Pritchard said.

"I believe this is an example of political correctness taken to the extreme and to me this is wrong."

Cr Main said yesterday that concerns about racial unrest were only part of the reason behind the council's decision.

"I thinks it's just that Bondi is not a ceremonial place. It's a place for recreation," she said.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aussie Flag not allowed at Aussie beach....not kidding....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
January 1, 2006, 09:42 PM
PLANS to erect the Australian flag over the Bondi Beach pavilion were vetoed because of fears the symbols could incite further racial violence on Sydney's beaches.

If you're afraid to fly your own flag, do you have a nation?

hoppinglark
January 1, 2006, 09:56 PM
something tells me this is going to be a much bigger issue now...

I just don't think that the boys down under are going to be okay with this

BigRobT
January 1, 2006, 09:59 PM
So these recent immigrants have a say as to what a country can legally do in this instance?? Personally, they need to go someplace else if they can't abide by local tradition. And the locals just need to take harsh axtion if they continue their BS riots and "stuff". I've had about enough of these types migrating and then FORCING their will on the population.

dolanp
January 1, 2006, 10:16 PM
When you've banned all the guns and are working on the knives, its time to move onto other 'sources' of violence... like, uh... flags. :rolleyes:

carebear
January 1, 2006, 10:32 PM
Note the immigrant leaders are AGAINST the decision to bar the flag.

This is yet another case of non-involved pansy bed-wetters trying to prove how open and inclusive they are to salve their inborn guilt.

It's patronizing and insulting and the immigrant groups know it. :banghead:

longeyes
January 1, 2006, 10:51 PM
Some very strange genetic mutations have occurred in the bureaucratic class in the last couple of generations.

wizard of oz
January 1, 2006, 11:20 PM
Everyone seems pretty shocked at the stupidity of the council. Recently, (non-violent) protests and petitions by citizens prevented that council from installing parking meters. I don't think the ban on the aussie flag will happen ! :) Especially at such an iconic spot - mind you the council owns the building and can fly the flag or not as they choose.

Guess there is a lot of anti-muslim feeling in the community at the moment since we are at war in Afganistan and Iraq and have had our citizens and interests in Indonesia targeted by muslim terrorists. The so called riots at Cronulla were just one hundred or so drunk kids disrupting a peaceful protest of several thousand. Quickly controlled by the police without any serious injuries or deaths. Typical media hype.

New Years Eve (which is always a huge summer party night in Sydney) was more peaceful than normal. Aussies are extremely tolerant on the whole.

Oh and by the way, about half the country want to change the flag to a design without the Union Jack. Monarchists typically have an anglo-saxon background wheras the newer Australians from European or Asian backgrounds tend to be Republicans. At some point in the not too distant future, we will become a republic with a new constitution. The flag just doesn't have the same meaning as it does in the USA.
(all my opinions of course)

ps Just found this article in the Sydney Morning Herald.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/iemma-manipulating-flag-fear-issue/2006/01/02/1136050371894.html Most interesting is this section of the article....

'Waverley deputy mayor George Newhouse, who was among councillors who rejected the flag proposal, said it had nothing to do with racial tensions.
"We already fly the flag at Bondi, we proudly fly the flag at Bondi and this decision has absolutely nothing to do with racism or Cronulla. It has everything to do with practical common sense," Mr Newhouse said.
"The Pavilion is a heritage-listed building and it will cost thousands of dollars to perform a heritage study and then erect the poles, which don't exist."
"We already have the flag, we love the flag, there is no problem with the flag and as for council banning the flag, it's absolute nonsense."
Council had first voted against installing the flag in March 2005, Mr Newhouse said.'

MechAg94
January 1, 2006, 11:49 PM
Some very strange genetic mutations have occurred in the bureaucratic class in the last couple of generations.
Bureaocracy by definition is management with a total lack of leadership. Leaders are rarely tolerated in bureacratic circles as they invariable create enemies and arguments. Bureaocracies must have consensus and harmony. Results don't matter.

The fact that parts of the world are very prosperous means that many don't care and other trust fund busybodies actually support this crap.

Old Dog
January 2, 2006, 02:20 AM
If this weren't The High Road, I'd be tempted to call those responsible for this decision ... a bunch of (insert alternative name for cats here) ...

Radagast
January 2, 2006, 10:26 AM
Note that the Labor party voted against it because it meant modifying a heritage building. Fair enough. The Liberal party voted for it because they want to make the Labor party look like they are kowtowing to racists. The Greens are basically the old communist party of Australia and they want to make it look as if they are taking a stand against nationalism. Meanwhile the flag continued to fly everywhere anyway. It's just politics.

No one mentions the fact that the police refused to respond when shots were fired into a church preschools xmas party the other week, or that the police radio ordered cars not to respond to criminal elements from the lebanese community gathering to go on an organised smash and bash that left people hospitalised and 50 cars damaged. That would actually require leadership. As far as I can tell none of them want to reform the machine of government, they just want to be the ones that control it.

Spot77
January 2, 2006, 12:40 PM
Just like they water their lawns with wd-40, it won't be long before the lawns get watered with Scotchgaurd too.......

DontBurnMyFlag
January 2, 2006, 01:59 PM
take the riots to the capital australia!!! Tell em you want your country back!

meef
January 2, 2006, 02:23 PM
something tells me this is going to be a much bigger issue now...

I just don't think that the boys down under are going to be okay with this
Well.... dunno about that. Based on the outcome it seems that the boys down under didn't raise a whole lot of stink about giving up their guns.

I guess giving up their country is just the next logical step in that progression.

I only hope that people in this country are taking notes.

:mad:

TexasRifleman
January 2, 2006, 02:28 PM
When you've banned all the guns and are working on the knives, its time to move onto other 'sources' of violence... like, uh... flags. :rolleyes:

Chicken wings will be next... mark my words. :(

longeyes
January 2, 2006, 02:31 PM
The so called riots at Cronulla were just one hundred or so drunk kids disrupting a peaceful protest of several thousand. Quickly controlled by the police without any serious injuries or deaths. Typical media hype.

New Years Eve (which is always a huge summer party night in Sydney) was more peaceful than normal. Aussies are extremely tolerant on the whole.

Oh and by the way, about half the country want to change the flag to a design without the Union Jack. Monarchists typically have an anglo-saxon background wheras the newer Australians from European or Asian backgrounds tend to be Republicans. At some point in the not too distant future, we will become a republic with a new constitution. The flag just doesn't have the same meaning as it does in the USA.

From what I've read there's a little more to it than rowdy bibulous "anglo" hooliganism.

You say republic. I say what kind?

hillbilly
January 3, 2006, 01:41 AM
Here's another story in the saga...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17720332-1702,00.html

Flag offer for Bondi site
January 03, 2006

THE New South Wales Government has offered to provide Waverley Council with an Australian flag, flagpole and the manpower required to fly the flag at a Bondi beach landmark.

Premier Morris Iemma yesterday condemned the eastern Sydney council after it was accused of refusing to fly the flag at the historic Bondi Pavilion because of concerns about racial tensions following last month's Cronulla beach riot.
Waverley Mayor Mora Main said the decision not to fly the flag was influenced solely by financial and heritage considerations.

Ms Main has invited Mr Iemma to a meeting to discuss the issue.

But Mr Iemma today said that was unnecessary.

"There's no need for a meeting and there's no need for consultation," he said.

Advertisement:
"If they are short a flag we'll give them a flag, if they're short a flag pole I'll have the Department of Commerce send them a flag pole with the bolts so that the flag and the flag pole can go up at the pavilion immediately.
"If you're short the work people to do it we'll send you the people from commerce to do it and just get the flag up.

"They don't need to have a heritage study, or consultation, or any meetings."

Federal Liberal MP and millionaire businessman Malcolm Turnbull, who also offered to buy a flagpole and supply the Australian and Aboriginal flags for the pavilion, was also invited to meet the council.

cuchulainn
January 3, 2006, 02:15 PM
dolanp: When you've banned all the guns and are working on the knives, its time to move onto other 'sources' of violence... like, uh... flags. Hey, Aussies can be very violent with flags -- like Mel Gibson in The Patriot. ;)

buzz_knox
January 3, 2006, 02:31 PM
If you're afraid to fly your own flag, do you have a nation?

+1. And the answer is "no."

If you enjoyed reading about "Aussie Flag not allowed at Aussie beach....not kidding....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!