Match Pistol Advice.

PDA

Tim1916
January 2, 2006, 05:04 AM
I have $1500 Im willing to spend on a .22lr target pisto; but would like to keep it under 1000. Trailsides are right out. Right now Im looking at the Baikal IZH35M, Hammerli SP20, Morini 22M, Walther SSP and GSP Expert. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Match Pistol Advice." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlkHawk73
January 2, 2006, 09:37 AM
Personlly, I'd go with a Morini or a Pardini. I've come vveerryy close to buying a benelli MP model also but got tempted buy another gun.
Do some reading and questioning here: http://www.targettalk.org/index.php
You'll get more first-hand knowledge on these guns than here.

happy old sailor
January 2, 2006, 03:46 PM
my favorite is a SnW M41 equiped with Herret's 1911 style grips. i did not shoot my highest score with it, but maintened the highest average, and that's what is important.

general info on averages: compare the diameter of the nine ring with that of the X ring. mathematical probilities predict that an evenly dispersed ten shot group within the nine ring will yeild a score of 95 as an average and thats a very nice average.

so, stop picking at the X and getting 8s instead. plus, you cannot exceed your average. if you could, you would have a higher average.

once you accept this premis, you will relax, knowing what to expect to shoot and your average will climb. do not be lured back into picking at the Xs.

advice from an OLD competition shooter

rick_reno
January 2, 2006, 04:17 PM
The Baikal is an excellent gun - some of the early ones needed a lot of cleaning up, newer ones I've seen were done very well. It doesn't have the trigger that the more expensive guns have - but they do shoot well. The Hammerli SP20 had some initial problems, I haven't kept up with it enough to know if it's been straightened out. I'd avoid the other guns on your list. Two guns I've used that aren't on your list are the Hammerli 208S and the Pardini SP. I had both a few years ago and didn't need both of them so I kept the Pardini. Both are superb target pistols. Larry Carter (his website is below) picked up the Pardini business when Don Nygord got ill. I talked with Larry Carter in Maine just before the holidays they didn't have any Pardini pistols in yet and weren't sure when they were getting them, apparently getting all the paperword straightened out is taking longer than they thought. You might want to give him a ring and ask what he's got, he's a good fellow to deal with. There are 3 208's on Gunbroker now. One of them, the 208 with the 32 conversion kit has been there awhile (it's not a "S" and probably has a single stage trigger) - the other two are new listings and will go fast. I rarely see Pardini's for sale.

One last question that could impact your choice - do you plan to shoot with a dot? or use open sights?

http://www.larrysguns.com/hammguns.asp

huntershooter
January 2, 2006, 08:12 PM
I second the Pardini-Fiocchi. Nygord Precision sells them.

rick_reno
January 2, 2006, 08:43 PM
I second the Pardini-Fiocchi. Nygord Precision sells them.

Don Nygord died - which is really a big loss to the shooting community. I really liked Don. I believe Larry Carter is picking that business up, but it's a slow start. I do agree, if you can find a Pardini - buy it.

Chris Rhines
January 2, 2006, 09:00 PM
Again with the Pardini. I've shot about everything out there in my ISU/NRA Conventional Pistol days, and the Pardini SP is still my favorite.

- Chris

Standing Wolf
January 2, 2006, 10:20 PM
It's my understanding the Baikal is no longer being imported.

I'm having to give up on my High Standards: too old, too tired, too hard to find replacement parts of decent quality, and nearly impossible to find competent gunsmiths.

My model 41 is a fine plinker, and reliable, but the trigger is turning creepy and inconsistent.

If I could find someone to stock my lovely old Browning Medalist, I'd shoot that, but realistically speaking, I'm afraid I'm going to have to bite the bullet—figuratively speaking, to be sure—and buy a Euro pistol. The Pardini line sounds pretty good at the moment. Wouldn't it be great if I didn't have to drive all the way to Maine to look at match pistols in glass cases?

rick_reno
January 3, 2006, 12:28 AM
StandingWolf - come on up to Idaho, I'll let you try mine out. It probably closer than Maine. I know what you mean by HS, for years I shot an old Victor my father left me. I loved that gun, but the constant fiddling with magazine lips to get one to work right and the lack of quality parts finally forced me to get rid of it.
I've been thinking of leaving competitive rimfire for about a year and might sell my Pardini. I'm just too old to get much pleasure out of it anymore, and I spend my summers shooting 45 acp - which I still find enjoyable. I'll most likely decide this in the next few weeks.

rchernandez
January 3, 2006, 01:18 AM
First question, what do you plan to shoot in? International (ISSF) or NRA Convestional Pistol (aka Bullseye)? Your intial set of choices hint at International. Rick's question about the red dot affect your choices. The european sports pistols, in my experience, balance well without the dot but some are better designed to handle the extra weight. I purchased my Benelli MP95E earlier in the year from Larry Carter in Maine. I added Rink grips and an Ultradot. I played around with the Ultradot installation and I'm attaching a photo that shows the compromise I worked out for balance and to minimize brass bouncing back into the chamber. The Baikal IZH35M is a great pistol, I have two, one set up for iron sights and the other "bubba'd" up...with red-dot. Your best source for these are the "Trading section" on this forum and on "Rimfirecentral.com".

Best advice, find a NRA Bullseye league in your area. League shooters are the best source of info and you may get to try handling and shooting their pistols. I shoot with a league in Memphis, TN, every Friday nights and we allways invite folks to try out. Many bring additional guns and ammo for the curious.

BTW, Larry's Gun in Maine is a great source for "precision paper punching equipment". Pilkguns near Chattanooga, TN, is another...they host Targettalk.com. For the GSP I recommend getting in touch with Neal Stepp at iss-internationalshootersservice.com.

Standing Wolf
January 3, 2006, 08:42 PM
I've been thinking of leaving competitive rimfire for about a year and might sell my Pardini.

Hello, Rick!

Let me know if you decide to sell it, eh? Thanks!

rick_reno
January 3, 2006, 10:23 PM
Standingwolf - found a Pardini SP that appears to be for sale this afternoon while poking aorund. It's not mine and I know nothing about it. It appears to be the same setup as mine - except I've got a set of grips Arnie Vitarbo made for me on mine. If you go to buy it, it should have a parts kit (firing pin,extra sights, etc)a cleaning kit and 2 magazines, a good manual and a nice plastic box.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976672097.htm

Standing Wolf
January 4, 2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks, Rick! Unfortunately...

SOLD pending funds

Win a few, lose a few, I guess.

If you enjoyed reading about "Match Pistol Advice." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!