CA gun laws in brief

PDA

AF_INT1N0
January 2, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hey guys.. It looks more and more like I will be going to (Northern) California.

I have a few questions, I am in the Air Force, and THIS Move is Not my choice so I don't want to here from the OMG Don't move to the PRK folks. It's this move or Jail!!!! I already know that I don't want to move there...

anyway what do I do about my weapons. I have a few Normal Capacity (read not crippled) magazines and an AR-15 clone.

2. What do I do for carry.

3. Where is a good place to live around the Travis area. (read affordable, decent chance of getting a CCW without being a famous moonbat, less gang activity.)

4. what about knives, shotguns??

5. Should I just go to jail?? j/k kidding on the last one 9but only just)

I would like to keep this as informative as possible so you guys living in Alaska , Vermont, Arizona, Utah, And Florida, that are inevitably gonna tell me that I should just go buy one of Mao's little red books, please refrain just this once.

Don't get me wrong I love a good Kali bashing as much as the next guy, but I really don't need it in this thread..

Thanks everyone.

AF

If you enjoyed reading about "CA gun laws in brief" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Librarian
January 2, 2006, 02:06 PM
Major source for CA laws: CAL DOJ (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/)

If you are coming here to live, you MAY NOT bring in magazines with a capacity > 10.

If the AR-clone has anything like "AR" stamped on it, you may not bring it in.

If it matches any of this: 12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.you may not bring it in.

The usual advice is to store that stuff out of state - parents, a really good friend, someone you trust.

Carry? Near Travis? It is to laugh. Or cry. Generally speaking, if a county in CA has 100,000 or more, CCW is difficult if not effectively impossible. See http://www.packing.org/state/california/ Travis is in Solano County; theoretically you could live in Napa or San Joaquin, but the commute would kill you.

Knives: no concealed fixed-blades, FOLDED folders are not 'dirks or daggers', mostly they are a non-issue unless you consort with gangs.

Shotguns: a couple are defined as CA 'assault weapons' (c) All of the following specified shotguns:
(1) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12.
(2) Striker 12.
(3) The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12. and semi-autos with detachable magazines are AWs.

Welcome to California. The earthquakes are usually not too bad, but the legislators are.

georgeduz
January 2, 2006, 02:55 PM
its alot like nj law,my nj legal ar, no baynet lug,no threaded barrel,10 round mags only,no blocked mags.

boofus
January 2, 2006, 03:04 PM
Just sell your guns, cut your nuts off, don a pink tutu, learn to speak Spanish, buy a crate of KY jelly and get the pain over with.

racenutz
January 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
Since you mentioned Air Force this might be of interest http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=104267&highlight=california+military

torpid
January 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
AF_INT1N0
I would like to keep this as informative as possible so you guys living in Alaska , Vermont, Arizona, Utah, And Florida, that are inevitably gonna tell me that I should just go buy one of Mao's little red books, please refrain just this once.

boofus
Just sell your guns, cut your nuts off, don a pink tutu, learn to speak Spanish, buy a crate of KY jelly and get the pain over with.

Apparently you also needed to name Texas in that list, AF_INT1N0... :rolleyes:

On the constructive side, here's great info from Jim March regarding knife carry laws in CA:
http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html

Mark in California
January 2, 2006, 04:40 PM
Since you are in the military, you can get permission to bring assualt weapons into California. You must applie to DOJ BEFORE you enter the state. If you leave the sevice here, the weapons must leave the state. You will not be able to bring in any mags that hold more than ten rounds. All handguns brought into the state must be disclosed to the state within a short time and a entry fee paid. I think?? it is $19 for all handguns listed.

Gray Peterson
January 2, 2006, 04:47 PM
If Travis is in Solano County, you're hosed. That is considered a "Red County, impossible to get" county according to Packing.org.

However, if you're willing to live in Yolo County, you have a chance for CCW (It's about 20 miles away in West Sacto). That's indicated as a Green County. Yolo has a 1 year residency requirement, but if it's due to military PCS orders, you might be able to ask to have it waived.

If you enjoyed reading about "CA gun laws in brief" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!