Taking guns to Italy

PDA

Librarian
January 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
Handgun and/or shotgun.

Is this legally possible? If so, what are the procedures? The embassy web site seems to have nothing on the topic (but I don't read Italian, so maybe it does). I'm a great believer in Google, but I can't seem to get a set of search terms to retrieve this one.

A friend wants to sail the Med this summer; going unarmed has her a bit concerned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking guns to Italy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Viking
January 2, 2006, 03:33 PM
Handgun and/or shotgun.

Is this legally possible? If so, what are the procedures? The embassy web site seems to have nothing on the topic (but I don't read Italian, so maybe it does). I'm a great believer in Google, but I can't seem to get a set of search terms to retrieve this one.

A friend wants to sail the Med this summer; going unarmed has her a bit concerned.
You realize that most of Europe doesn't look favorably on arming oneself for protection? I understand the concerns your friend has, but bringing in a handgun or shotgun for protection is probably out of the question. Also, I believe that military calibers such as 9mm, .45 ACP and such are quite restricted in Italy (IOW, no possesion allowed for civilians).
However, many countries in Europe atleast allow less than lethal weapons, such as pepperspray, tazers and such. A big sharp knife would perhaps be an option?

However, using Sweden as an example, it is possible to bring in firearms if you are going to hunt, participate in a competition etc, or if you are going to live here for a longer period of time. But for self defence? No chance whatsoever. Never. Sorry.

Hypnogator
January 2, 2006, 04:17 PM
My info is 30+ yrs old, but here goes:

You can bring in rifles, shotguns, and handguns that are not "war weapons."

"War weapons" are usually defined by caliber. I don't know what rifle types/cartridges are verboten (oops, that's German -- I mean prohibito). In pistols, you can't have any .380 (9mm Corto in Italian), 9mm Parabellum, or .45 ACP.

When I was stationed at Camp Darby, I originally brought a .32 Mauser HSc with me because I was told "nothing heavier than .32." That was incorrect, and when I returned from CID School, I brought my .357 S&W Combat Magnum and a .38 S&W stainless Chief's Special. No problem with keeping them in my off-post residence. Couldn't carry them, of course, but occasionally did carry my issue Colt Detective Special while on duty.

Pilgrim
January 2, 2006, 04:19 PM
I suggest you address your questions to the Italian Consulate General (http://www.italconphila.org/english/welcome.html). I would do a web search on yachting and sailing websites for information on carrying firearms in one's yacht. It looks like the Cruiser's Forum (http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1641) can help you with information concerning carrying firearms while sailing.

Librarian
January 2, 2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks to all, and especially Pilgrim - the Cruisers Forum article is spot-on. And kind of what I suspected.

Old Dog
January 2, 2006, 04:46 PM
From the U.S. Navy's current "welcome aboard" package for those with orders to NSA Naples:

Firearms and Restricted Items: At the present time there is a ban on the importation of firearms into Italy. The possession of any types of firearms in Italy is strictly controlled and requires the owner to obtain a permit. Shipping firearms may cause a delay in your property clearing Italian customs. The definition of firearms includes any weapon that is designed for or can be readily converted to be used for attack, defense, sports, games or hunting by driving a projectile through the barrel. This includes air pistols, air rifles and firing replicas of antique firearms. Care should be taken not to include other restricted or prohibited items with your shipment.

Preacherman
January 2, 2006, 07:11 PM
If your friend will be cruising, look into the dual-use possibilities of a line launcher or flare gun. Mossberg makes a 12ga. shotgun conversion for line launching, which can still be used as a shotgun - see here (http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm), and look for the Line Launcher blurb in the left-hand margin. You'd probably have to call them for more details. As for a flare gun, the plastic ones are for flares only, but some older steel models could also fire birdshot or buckshot rounds. You'll have to look around for more information. Either option should be legal as part of a boat's equipment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking guns to Italy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!