C&R license question

PDA

mmike87
January 2, 2006, 02:41 PM
I am filling out my C&R license application. Seems pretty straightforward - however to avoid any unnecessary delays, are there any "gotchas" on the app I should pay particular attention to? By "gotcha" I mean things that are commonly filled out incorrectly, etc.

On the surface this form seems "too easy" - but I know how government forms can be.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "C&R license question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tankertom
January 2, 2006, 02:42 PM
make sure you do the citizenship certificate as well.

mmike87
January 2, 2006, 03:07 PM
make sure you do the citizenship certificate as well.

What's that? They sent me 4 sheets. Essentailly two apps that are almost the same, one for the ATF and one that is for CLEO.

TexasRifleman
January 2, 2006, 03:29 PM
Nope. There is another form that declares your citizenship. It must accompany the C&R application.

ATF Form 5330.20 "Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C 922(g)(5)(B)"

http://www.atf.gov/forms/5000.htm#firearms

This form needs to go with just about everything you send ATF. Ask me how I know :)

And remember, the form for your CLEO is informational only. They don't have to "do" anything with it, nor can they stop the application from going through simply by throwing it in the trash.

If you're worried about it, send a letter along stating that forms purpose is merely to "inform my local LEO as per the Federal requirements, and you need not take any action" or something similar. I personally could have cared less what they did with it, but some people like to be nice :evil:

mmike87
January 2, 2006, 03:51 PM
See, I am glad I asked! I guess they sent me exactly what I asked for and not what I really needed.

I assume I can just print out the PDF version and include that? Or do I need to send away for a copy?

Thanks all for the info.

joab
January 2, 2006, 03:54 PM
Thaks alot Texas
I guess I should have asked this two weeks ago

sctman800
January 2, 2006, 04:30 PM
Don't abberivate anything, write out the whole word. Jim.

Beren
January 2, 2006, 05:27 PM
his form needs to go with just about everything you send ATF. Ask me how I know

Yup. If you don't send it, you'll either get a call or a letter saying they didn't receive it and you have x number of days to send it in.

If you DO send it, they'll often lose it, and you'll either get a call or letter saying they didn't receive it. Ask me how I know. :D

joey93turbo
January 2, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm looking at the ATF website, which forms do I need to fill out and send in?

Technosavant
January 2, 2006, 06:45 PM
You only need to fill out the citizenship certificate if you are NOT a born US citizen.

Be sure to read the instructions thoroughly. It will save much grief.

joab
January 2, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well that doesn't help me either Technosavant, but thanks for the effort.

I was born in a civilian hospital in Japan while my father was in the U.S. army staioned there.
But every time I apply for a replacement for my lost SS card they threaten to deport me, and that was before 9/11

Beren
January 2, 2006, 08:33 PM
You only need to fill out the citizenship certificate if you are NOT a born US citizen.

Incorrect. They're demanding them of everyone, citizen or not. Unless something has changed in the last two months.

TexasSIGman linked to the proper form earlier in this thread. Look up. ;)

Manedwolf
January 2, 2006, 08:40 PM
I'm looking at the ATF website, which forms do I need to fill out and send in?

You can print out the citizenship one from the site, but the actual C&R application form can't be downloaded, you have to request it from the site, and they'll mail it to you.

Technosavant
January 2, 2006, 08:53 PM
Incorrect. They're demanding them of everyone, citizen or not. Unless something has changed in the last two months.

TexasSIGman linked to the proper form earlier in this thread. Look up. ;)

When I filled my 03 FFL form out back in late Sept., one was not required. The forms may have changed.

Car Knocker
January 2, 2006, 11:04 PM
The citizenship form was required last May. It appears that it may depend on who is processing the application.

sctman800
January 3, 2006, 12:00 AM
I am the same as Technosavant, I applied around September and recieved it just before Thanksgiving, did not fill out a citizenship form. One other thing I would suggest is to make a copy of the BATFE forms in a blank state and fill out the copy. Then read it over at least three times to make sure everything is correct before transferring it to the origonal. Where I found some good info was at www.surplusrifle.com check out the C&R section. Jim.

aaronrkelly
January 3, 2006, 12:04 AM
The Citizenship form was required around March when I filled mine out. I just printed the one from the web and included it.....

TexasRifleman
January 3, 2006, 12:30 PM
Well as I mentioned, ask me how I know. I sent my C&R app without the citizenship form and it was rejected. This was about a year ago. In typical ATF fashion however, I'm not surprised to see everyone have a different experience with this fine organization.

It's a free downloadable form and takes less than 15 seconds to fill out, send it anyway.

One will accompany EVERYTHING I send ATF from now on.

mmike87
January 3, 2006, 01:14 PM
You can print out the citizenship one from the site, but the actual C&R application form can't be downloaded, you have to request it from the site, and they'll mail it to you.

They are actually QUITE prompt about this, too - I was impressed with their responsiveness in providing the form.

BothellBob
January 3, 2006, 03:36 PM
We Crufflers have multiple web sites, but one I recommend would be:

http://www.curioandrelicforums.com/

They have complete instructions, downloadable forms, etc.
BothellBob

Steelcore
January 3, 2006, 08:48 PM
The C&R application was changed in May '05.The citizenship form is built into the new application.

mmike87
January 3, 2006, 08:53 PM
I saw that too. I am just going to include the other form just to be safe. It doesn't hurt. Took all of like 10 seconds.

Yes, me citizen. I promise. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "C&R license question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!