Speaking about movies, question about scene in "Walk the Line?"

PDA

Malone LaVeigh
January 2, 2006, 09:03 PM
Minor spoiler alert.

Anyone read the book or have any information or opinion about the scene where the Carter Family runs the drug pusher off with the shotguns? I mean, it had about everything an old folk music fan like me could love. Some of the most legendary performers ever rising up with honorable righteous anger and a pair of side-by-sides to chase off a scumbag .

Younger readers I suppose could imagine Eminem and Brittany Spears taking on an invasion of mutant zombie aliens.

If you enjoyed reading about "Speaking about movies, question about scene in "Walk the Line?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Dog
January 2, 2006, 10:18 PM
I've got a couple books about Cash; after I saw the movie, I checked back and couldn't find any support for the scene where June Carter's mom and dad run the dealer off with shotguns ... it may be in his autobiography, gotta drag that out of storage somewhere ... the Rolling Stone compilation book I've got handy on Cash does relate a couple anecdotes about how June used to throw out his amphetamines and hide his money when he was going through his speed addiction ...

To keep this more gun-related, Cash was at one time a big collector of old Colt's revolvers and owned some incredible SAAs ...

If not the best, he was one of the best American singers and songwriters ever ... The movie did him justice (even though one can't admire Joaquin Phoenix's politics much, he and Reese Witherspoon deserve Oscar nominations) ...

gunsmith
January 2, 2006, 10:44 PM
I heard he was an anti.

Dr.Rob
January 3, 2006, 01:49 PM
True or not that was one of the few scenes in the film that made me laugh.

jobu07
January 3, 2006, 02:49 PM
Anti or not, the man made music that really spoke to you.

Lone_Gunman
January 3, 2006, 03:35 PM
Didn't he abandon his first wife and children?

RaggedClaws
January 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
don't take your guns to town.

He may or may not be an anti, that I don't know. But I do know that the song with that line in it is hardly about gun control. It's more about self control.

ACP230
January 3, 2006, 03:49 PM
In the middle of the 1968 Gun Control law furor Cash said something like this on his TV show.

"Let those old country boys keep their shotguns. Some of 'em gotta shoot rabbits to eat."

Not exactly a full 2nd Amendment argument, but at the time I was glad to hear it on network TV.

Don Gwinn
January 3, 2006, 06:01 PM
He was anti-gun. He was heavily into PAX (not the one in Washington, the one that wants to take your guns.)

And yes, he left his first wife for June.

But that music!

I'll be honest with you, folks, I've about decided I don't have to agree with the politics of the musicians to whom I listen. I listen to the Dixie Chicks, I listen to Nine Inch Nails, I listen to Willie Nelson. I figure if Willie Nelson can go on tour with Toby Keith, surely I can put aside politics long enough to listen to "Worried Man" one more time.

waterhouse
January 3, 2006, 06:23 PM
I wonder what changed to make him anti gun. On the Storytellers album (that he did with Willie) he talks about standing in front of the TV in his 20s with his holster on trying to outdraw Jim Arness.

He did leave his wife and child, he slept around, and probably did his weight in drugs over the course of his lifetime. I haven't read his book in a while, but he also got off drugs and spent most of the rest of his life admitting that he was a bad father and husband and trying to have a relationship with his daughter (which he was pretty successful at, if I recall). Either way, I'm with Mr. Gwinn on this one . . . he could be against everything I'm for and I'd still listen to his music.

f4t9r
January 3, 2006, 07:23 PM
No telling what went on back then.
Us baby boomers from the south seen some things and heard stuff that make you believe anything could happen in the Hills.

Carl N. Brown
March 8, 2006, 09:14 AM
1982 Dixie Gun Works Catalog
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36787&stc=1&d=1141827075
He liked guns; he just didn't like what some people did with them.

Justin
March 8, 2006, 10:29 AM
Younger readers I suppose could imagine Eminem and Brittany Spears taking on an invasion of mutant zombie aliens.

Nah. Eminem took the bullets out of his gun. He'd be zombie chow.

MrTwigg
March 8, 2006, 10:42 AM
What a great story ! Anybody know if he really recorded / performed a Bob Dylan song ?

Gun Wielding Maniac
March 8, 2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah, he did for sure. Its in his album, Unearthed. Can't remember which one it was.

whitebear
March 8, 2006, 11:46 AM
He recorded Dylan's song "Girl from the North Country" as a duet with Dylan himself.

Henry Bowman
March 8, 2006, 12:31 PM
What a great story ! Anybody know if he really recorded / performed a Bob Dylan song ?It Ain't Me, Babe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Speaking about movies, question about scene in "Walk the Line?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!