Houston Off to a Good Start....

PDA

The_Shootist
January 2, 2006, 11:32 PM
....in 2006. We already had 5 or 6 shootings, and I think the link shows the
3rd homicide so far.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/3560895.html

For all you .380 fans, look what was used.

Its supposed to get colder the end of this week - from 80's back to 60's and I think I'll go from carrying my Mak to my 1911. Just seems like things are getting out of hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Houston Off to a Good Start...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longhorngunman
January 2, 2006, 11:54 PM
Uh, I know this question isn't politically correct, but do you think this rise in crime has anything to do with your new fellow Houstonians?

Lupinus
January 3, 2006, 01:35 PM
truly sad, no good deed and all I guess.

Im jsut glad we didn't get that big an influx and aren't seeing this many problems :(

bigray327
January 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
Uh, I know this question isn't politically correct, but do you think this rise in crime has anything to do with your new fellow Houstonians?
No doubt in my mind.

Sry0fcr
January 3, 2006, 07:26 PM
No doubt in my mind.

Mine either, there wan an article on one of the local news sites that the homicide rate rose 80% between Sept and Nov... Katrina hit when...?

El Tejon
January 3, 2006, 08:05 PM
Any official stats? Not to seem like an uncaring Yankee, but hasn't Houston always been violent?:confused:

phantomak47
January 3, 2006, 09:44 PM
No No No.....

Since our New Houstonians arrived the murder rate is 25% higher.

The murder rate in December was Up 70%

Kenneth Lew
January 3, 2006, 10:04 PM
So what. The cantina scene in Houston has always been very violent.

Cantinas are place where people get killed for owing money, looking at someone's girlfriend, disrespecting their space. People get killed there all the time and actually, the level of violence has actually decreased from the past. I've personally talked a person that had all 10 fingers chopped off from their hands, a person that was stabbed by 15-17 yr old gang members for no reason, known several people that have been killed at cantinas, etc. There has been one incident where a full fledge riot broke out at one where over 200 were arrested due to a power failure.

EVERYONE going to a cantina is there looking for action and they are armed.

Anyone recall the CSI eppisode where the Las Vegas Police had to arrest the lead singer of a band becuase he decapitated a fan. A lot of guys in the bar pulled out heat. That is true for Houston.

CentralTexas
January 3, 2006, 10:31 PM
If it's reality and you are afraid to say so, there is a problem.
Mayor White of Houston isn't really pulling punches. High Crime surge = New Orleans folks in Houston. The refugees aren't 100% black either so don't be scared of getting called racist, the majority of them are black though.
We need to quit avoiding reality and deal with these issues head on instead of being "PC". We need to draw a line in the sand on these issues.
Swimming pools kill more children by far than guns every year. If you have FedGov stats or CDC stats etc. it's not your opinion, it's fact usually.
CT

Shotgun12
January 4, 2006, 12:03 AM

I'm sure this "act of hospitality" had little to do with good deeds .... as such. I'm sure that, when Houston, took in all of that trash, they were no-doubt given lots of federal aid, and assistance money, (our tax $'s), much of which I'm sure ended up in the pockets of the city's "Officials" .... while your general population has to suffer with the skyrocketing crime rates etc. I doubt if the mayor, or other upper-crust politicians live in areas where they will be affected by any rise in crime. Anyone with an ounce of common sense, would have known what was going to happen.
And of course, due to the increase in crime, they'll probably get more of our $'s, to 'help out'.

losangeles
January 4, 2006, 01:49 AM

Cantinas are place where people get killed for owing money, looking at someone's girlfriend, disrespecting their space. People get killed there all the time and actually, the level of violence has actually decreased from the past. I've personally talked a person that had all 10 fingers chopped off from their hands, a person that was stabbed by 15-17 yr old gang members for no reason, known several people that have been killed at cantinas, etc. There has been one incident where a full fledge riot broke out at one where over 200 were arrested due to a power failure.

Sounds like a jungle over there.

What's a "cantina"?

exoduster18
January 4, 2006, 01:56 AM
Cantina = Musical/Mexican Bar I think.

MechAg94
January 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
I guess I am not in that scene. Never heard of that stuff. I thought they all carried butterfly knives. :neener:

I think Houston's murder rate used to be pretty high, but has not been that high in recent years. I don't know what the annual numbers have been. It's the 4th largest city in the US so there will be crime issues to deal with.

As for Katrina people, I think you just have a lot of people with nothing better to do but hang around and wait for NO to take them back. Not a recipe for peace.

Sry0fcr
January 4, 2006, 12:10 PM

Anyone recall the CSI eppisode where the Las Vegas Police had to arrest the lead singer of a band becuase he decapitated a fan. A lot of guys in the bar pulled out heat. That is true for Houston.

I'm going to have to ask you to stop speaking on the subject. You don't sound like you've spent more than a day in my city.

coinshooter
January 4, 2006, 01:48 PM
Since Katrina the Beaumont& Port Arthur area 90 miles east of Houston which also had a lagre influx of Katrina refugees has a a high spike in violent crime.

Kenneth Lew
January 4, 2006, 11:21 PM
I'm going to have to ask you to stop speaking on the subject. You don't sound like you've spent more than a day in my city.

Are you calling me a liar?

The_Shootist
January 5, 2006, 12:19 AM
Actually, it looks like criminal activity is taking place alot in the West Chase / SW area of Houston (as well as the usual warzones like Greenspoint) not necessarily BAD areas. But it also seems random stuff is happening everywhere. Bodies are even turning up here in Galveston.

Some of it IS gang related - think about it. Gangs in New Orleans were put out of business by Katrina, they have to sell drugs somewhere. So they come to Houston and (naturally) start banging heads with the local talent. Some of the local Hispanic gangs are less than flexible over territory :evil:

Rob1035
January 5, 2006, 12:25 AM

Well, in Sry0fcr's defense, you did use an episode of CSI in your statements:p

Sry0fcr
January 5, 2006, 03:50 PM

Absolutely not, just that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. :neener:

Mot45acp
January 5, 2006, 07:26 PM
There were some outright muggings at the wally world parking lot in Orange. My anti in laws even asked for a weapon

Lonestar.45
January 5, 2006, 10:10 PM
I'm in Houston now on a business trip. Flew in from Austin, leaving Saturday. Know what ticks me off? I can't utilize my newly acquired CHL permit because 1) I had to fly in making it difficult to carry and 2) I'm with an anti-boss/firm and I'm here on business. :cuss:

feedthehogs
January 5, 2006, 10:31 PM
Houston is no worse than any other big city.

Yes when you put displaced people with nothing left to call their own, mix in the holidays you will have an increase in crime.

But I bet any city that took in NO folks in large numbers also saw an increase in crime. Don't forget, anyone on probation, house arrest, registered offenders, those waiting trial out on bail, bolted and set up shop elsewhere.

Heading to Llano in two weeks, will stop in Houston to see friends. Not any more worried than when I was there in August.

If you enjoyed reading about "Houston Off to a Good Start...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!