TX/OK Fires

PDA

dasmi
January 3, 2006, 05:43 PM
I keep hearing about large fires along the Texas/Oklahoma border.
Anyone from THR impacted by this?
THR members in that area want to check in and let us know if you're alright, or if you need anything?

If you enjoyed reading about "TX/OK Fires" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheEgg
January 3, 2006, 06:35 PM
Not on topic, but I will say this.

The worst areas hit so far have been north and west of Fort Worth, although there have been some bad fires in the immediate DFW area. Luckily, people generally did take the warnings seriously and not many fires were started with fireworks over the new years holiday.

So far over 200,000 acres burned and over 200 houses destroyed (and more than 6 people killed!). We have a severe drought condition around here, over 20 inches below normal for the year, temperatures are spiking to 80 and above, and we have winds gusting to 60 mph at times.

If the wild fire gets started around you, you are pretty much screwed unless a fire crew is very close and can respond.

So far, no fires near my house and none of my friends/family have been burned out. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying for rain (none predicted for at least another 10 days).

M2 Carbine
January 3, 2006, 06:36 PM
They have been all around me but the closest has been about 1.5 mile away.

My gun shop burned to the ground in 1995 from a grass fire. Thousands of rounds, powder, etc went up.

The fire will go across the top of the dry weeds about with the speed of the wind. Very scary. There's been 5 or 6 people killed so far and many homes burned.
I've been watering around the house but it's probably a waste of time.

In the early 70's I flew helicopters on fires in the Rocky mountains, scary.

A few days ago this big fire burned all day, just South of me but the wind was strong from the West, so it didn't move too close to me.
I went outside about 11PM, I thought the fire was out but I could see it still faring up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/firenight.jpg

hotpig
January 3, 2006, 06:41 PM
We have a brush truck and crew on standby in case their is a MABAS request by TX or OK.

HighVelocity
January 3, 2006, 06:46 PM
Had a brush fire less than 1k yards from my house last week. THere were 4 departments called in to put it out.
It's pretty scary when you hear sirens, open your back door and smoke comes in. :uhoh:

Standing Wolf
January 3, 2006, 07:08 PM
Have the riots and looting started yet?

TallPine
January 3, 2006, 07:19 PM
From my personal experience, I can say that the best thing to do is create a "defensible space" around your home and buildings: mow the grass down low and clear brush and trees around your house.

Though I don't know how that works out if you are in town and everyone has ornamental trees:confused: But out here on my 40 acres I have spent a lot of time and energy to clear out trees and ladder fuels near the house in the 3 years that we have lived out here.

That, and have an evacuation plan, such as pre-positioning valubles like documents, photos, firearms, etc so you can load them and leave in a hurry. We have a small camper trailer so we throw everything in there and hitch up and go (well, my wife does anyway ... I would be out on the fireline with the VFD).

Dog
January 3, 2006, 07:23 PM
There have been a lot around the Oklahoma City surrounding areas. Some friends got lucky last week in the Choctaw area but they were fine. All the surrounding land is burnt though.

Right now we have 20 MPH winds and very dry. All the fire crews are ready, today was supposed to be another bad day but so far it there has only been a few smaller fires.

M2 Carbine
January 3, 2006, 07:31 PM

No.
In Texas we can use deadly force to protect our property.
You have to have a death wish to riot or loot here.;)

hank327
January 3, 2006, 07:49 PM
In the small town of Ringgold near the Red River, 30 of 39 homes burned to the ground on New Year's Day. The situation here is very bad as the whole northern
part of the state is a tinderbox. As a boy, I remember riding with my dad and watching a wildfire keep pace with our pickup at about 50 mph!:eek:

Azrael256
January 3, 2006, 08:25 PM
watching a wildfire keep pace with our pickup at about 50 mph! Yup, that's the danger. A house fire can be contained with relative ease. Firefighters don't like to run into burning buildings, but they have the tools and know-how to do it in relative safety since structure fires don't move so quickly.

Wildfires, on the other hand, zip along so fast that they are extremely difficult to control. You pretty much have to select a defensible spot in the fire's path, and try to control it as it is approaching. If that fails, you'd better have the firetruck warmed up and ready to shove off. They're unpredictable, too. They can do things like jump a 20 foot highway embankment, cross six lanes, and set the grass on fire on the other side. All it takes is one spark...

A few friends have been in the area of some of the fires around OKC, but no casualties so far. My old roommate used to live in the sticks outside Guthrie, and his house was leveled by that big nasty one up there a few years ago. He had about five minutes time between the first warning and the fire consuming their backyard fence. It's best to be somewhere else when you see the smoke plume headed your way.

When I visited my grandparent's place last weekend, grandad and I dug out a fire break around the house. It won't stop a roaring, raging fire, but it will hopefully stop what little grass is left from burning right up to the house. We're all very happy with that new metal roof of his, too.

Mizzle187
January 3, 2006, 08:35 PM
I am very impacted by these wildfires. My family own a fire equipment buisness and we cover the south/southwest with Texas and Oklahoma being our #1 and #2 states. We have been super busy. On top of the extra work load alot of our salesmen are firefighters in these areas as well as customers(which we are very personal with). They havent broken out in LA to much yet but we are under burn ban. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected(homeowners and emergency personal) by this. Fire is a scary thing especially ones of this magnitude.

chrisTx
January 3, 2006, 08:58 PM

riots and looting? what's that?

i spent 3 days on a fire truck during a 30,000 acre grass fire. we lost 11 houses, but managed to save many more. we ran the dog out of that 350 gallon truck with two jump lines.

If you enjoyed reading about "TX/OK Fires" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!