What kind of gun to take out this critter?

PDA

Yohan
April 8, 2003, 12:41 AM
http://pub169.ezboard.com/feqluclinfrm12.showMessageRange?topicID=532.topic&start=1&stop=20
http://www.student.gsu.edu/~kpentecost1/clock_legs.jpg
http://www.student.gsu.edu/~kpentecost1/IMG_1773.jpg
I'd use a tatically rolled up newspaper reinforced with some ducktape. Seriously though, if this critter was on a dirt floor- and you had adquete backstop, what rifle would you use? I would use the Daisy air rifle- :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of gun to take out this critter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Feanaro
April 8, 2003, 12:44 AM
I would use an air rifle. Anything more might be really dangerous. Of course, if I didn't care about the floor and KNEW I wouldn't hit myself/other people, then an M82 Barret. You can never have too much firepower. :evil:

Blackhawk
April 8, 2003, 12:52 AM
Cool rubber spider. :cool:

AZTOY
April 8, 2003, 12:55 AM
I would not kill it, i would put it in a fish tank:neener:

Nightcrawler
April 8, 2003, 12:55 AM
What would I do? I'd scream like a little girl and jump on a chair. Holy hell, look at the SIZE of that thing! *shudder*

Don't laugh, boys and girls. It's not like I enjoy having arachniphobia. It could be worse, though. I could be one of those people that're scared of bridges, or the color purple. Snakes and bugs don't bother me, either, just spiders.

Seriously, if I saw that thing crawling on my wall, I'd be mighty tempted to use a 12 gauge on it.

cool45auto
April 8, 2003, 01:00 AM
Wow!:what: Runt will like this!

synoptic
April 8, 2003, 01:09 AM
I'm with nightcrawler - 12 guage all the way. Actually, I'd prolly use my blowgun until I ran out of darts then if it were still alive rolled up magazine

LiquidTension
April 8, 2003, 01:24 AM
If I had to use a firearm, it would be my 12ga. Otherwise I'd use a shoe with my foot in it - it would be very satisfying to kill that thing personally. I'm not scared of spiders, but that thing is BIG. What is it, a wolf spider?

Triad
April 8, 2003, 01:30 AM
Somebody on the board he got this from identified it as some kind of giant crab spider.

pbman
April 8, 2003, 01:46 AM
Thats a 12 gauge sized spider.

I don't care if he's on the wall or not.

I can fix the wall.

Kristofer
April 8, 2003, 02:05 AM
Thats a 12 gauge sized spider.

12 guage my foot! I aint going near that with a M1A2 abrahms!

somebody please tell me thats fake.

Feanaro
April 8, 2003, 02:14 AM
Looks fake to me. Anyways, I reconsidered. I'd use a Browning .50 caliber machine gun. :D

Ikari
April 8, 2003, 02:29 AM
My XD-40 loaded with CCI shotshells. All 10 of 'em. Then start in with the Golden Sabers if the shotshells didn't finish the job.

Viking Warrior
April 8, 2003, 02:42 AM
I'm thinking a Hellfire missile ...
:uhoh:

coonan357
April 8, 2003, 02:53 AM
got a 4 gauge shotgun shell if someone has the gun for that little critter ....otherwise wd-40 and a match mmmmmm... crispy critter !

Kestryll
April 8, 2003, 02:59 AM
Mosin M44 until out of ammo, them the 12 gauge until the sidesaddle was empty, and then the .45 ACP.
Somewhere in the last 3 mags of .45 I'd probably stop screaming like a school girl.
Nightcrawler I am right there with you, I can't even look at the picture without checking my walls and ceiling and feeling creepy.....UUGHHH!!!

WhoKnowsWho
April 8, 2003, 03:35 AM
Shotgun, a Street Sweeper preferably...

I hope that thing is fake... I would have called 911 if it had shown up in my house. I can't stand creepy crawly things....

WonderNine
April 8, 2003, 04:08 AM
OMG, I really don't mind snakes so much, althought I hate them too, but I just hate spiders soooooooooooooooooooo bad. I still want to move to Texas for all the hot women, but I gotta put up with......this??? :eek:

Baseball bat and a SxS 10 gauge all the way...

Jim March
April 8, 2003, 05:09 AM
I'd just scoop it into an empty box of some sort and carry it outside.

Cool beastie!

45King
April 8, 2003, 07:17 AM
Well, I'm arachnaphobic, too, but I think I'd use a can of hair spary and a Bic lighter....field expedient flamethrower!
Did that once to a swarm of cockroaches (palmetto bugs) found under a set of concrete backyard steps. Have you ever seen a burning roach trying to fly? Cool!

JW2
April 8, 2003, 07:21 AM
Not fake. It was originally posted by a guy from Australia on the off-topic.net forums.

Yohan, are you on OT? What's your username?

Mine's the same.

foghornl
April 8, 2003, 07:38 AM
Hmmmm

Maybe the 155MM Howitzer

Kharn
April 8, 2003, 07:46 AM
"Lets blast off and nuke the place from orbit, its the only way to be sure."
To paraphrase another movie thats all about killing bugs. :D

Kharn

45R
April 8, 2003, 07:53 AM
a real MAN would used a knife :D :neener:

Gewehr98
April 8, 2003, 08:20 AM
A gorgeous spider. He's probably just trying to get away from all the commotion and flash photography. :(

Chris Rhines
April 8, 2003, 08:58 AM
Jeez, guys, it's just a spider. I'd catch it and release it outside.

Spiders are cool. Now jellyfish on the other hand...

- Chris

Arcli9ht
April 8, 2003, 09:30 AM
Another person with arachnophobia here... my solution:

"FIRE, AND LOTS OF IT"

WD-40 produces a bigger, hotter, longer burning flame than hair spray. Plus, if you use the little red tube, you get a nice 5' flame that sticks to things. The spider is in the house, so I might, *might* not use home made napalm, but that thing is f*ing huge, so no promises. *shudder* :uhoh:

/Arcli9ht

hawk0484
April 8, 2003, 09:35 AM
Isn't it gorgeous !

I think I'd swipe it down the wall with a fly swatter or some such, then proceed to stomp its innards out.

braindead0
April 8, 2003, 09:50 AM
I'd first put on some hearing protection.. the wife would be screaming like crazy.

Coffee can and a stick, and outside he goes.. That guy probably eat roaches for lunch, and that's a good thing!

Litlman
April 8, 2003, 09:54 AM
Holy crap, that thing is huge! Call animal control!!! I would't shoot it .

JW2
April 8, 2003, 09:56 AM
Yea, I wouldn't kill that spider. Same goes for snakes. I'd just scoop it up in something and put it outside.

MLH
April 8, 2003, 10:05 AM
The MOAB!:what::D

Betty
April 8, 2003, 10:13 AM
Sheesh. I can't believe you big tough guys are scared of little spiders.

Here's our former pet Mannerheim (we let him go back to the wild recently):

http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn/spider-ruler_s.jpg

And here's one of my tarantulas walking on me:

http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn/tarantula/tarantula_walk.jpg

Selfdfenz
April 8, 2003, 10:24 AM
MOAB or RAID.

S-

seeker_two
April 8, 2003, 10:30 AM
MOAB at close range.

(Never really LIKED the neighbors...:scrutiny: )

Bruce H
April 8, 2003, 10:36 AM
I'll bet Yohan's or Runts spiders would make better companions than Tom Daschel or Richard Daley.

fatboyclone
April 8, 2003, 10:50 AM
that thing has USP45 written all over it

H Romberg
April 8, 2003, 10:51 AM
If anybody finds one of those for real, I want it. Got some bugs it would like to eat down at the marina. :D

bogie
April 8, 2003, 11:00 AM
Twitch, twitch, twitch...

COHIBA
April 8, 2003, 11:02 AM
i'd bounce a TOW off the curtain and score a direct hit in the thorax.
really i'd grab a can of FOXLABS OC and a video camera.

Teufelhunden
April 8, 2003, 11:13 AM
Runt, if tarantulas are your thing, go sleep out on the deck at Camp Pendleton during spider mating seapon--the infernal things have holes about every three feet and they all come out to play at night. I had to shake 3 of them out of my gear in the morning.

That top picture gives me the willies--easy for imagination to run amok with just legs to look at.

As far as dealing with it: A solid butt-stroke, followed by a slash if necessary--works with Kali spiders anyway... ;)

-Teuf

556A2
April 8, 2003, 11:28 AM
I'm with the WD-40 and a lighter, theres nothing in this world that gives me the creeps more than spiders :what: .

thumbtack
April 8, 2003, 11:35 AM
I am not going to Yohan's house for dinner. Imagine that thing dropping on to your head while your eating. :eek:

Nightcrawler
April 8, 2003, 11:46 AM
Runt, Runt, Runt...you must understand. Arachniphobia is an irrational fear. The spiders you see around here are mostly little house spiders, and I know in my logical mind that they're harmless, and I'm thousands of times larger than them. They're not even poisonous, and they eat bugs.

Nonetheless, if I wake up and find one crawling across me (thus taking me by suprise) my sympathetic nervous system gets a jolt, and I lock into "fight or flight" mode. With spiders, it's usually more flight than fight.

Now, if they don't catch me by suprise, and they're not close to me, my rational mind can override irrational instinct, and I'm fine. After all, I say to myself, that spider presents no threat and cannot harm me.

However, I don't think that to be the case with the spider in the photographs. That...thing...looks like it could take your arm off. Better to be safe than sorry and give it a load of #7 birdshot. After all, those things can jump.

I mean, come on, look at that thing! I've seen spiders, and big spiders, but not ones like that, that can go to school, or drive cars, or get jobs at the post office. It walks like a man! (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-06-07&res=l)

4v50 Gary
April 8, 2003, 12:16 PM
Spiders eats bugs. I'd take it outside and set it free. Now, silverfish, cockroaches, moths are fair game.

QuarterBoreGunner
April 8, 2003, 12:29 PM
Ok I have to lose it for a second here: ACK!! *shudder* HOLY CRAP!!! Look at the size of that THING!?!?!

Ok I’m back now.

To borrow a 2nd quote from a movie about killing bugs:

“To defeat the enemy, we must know the enemy. Take for instance your basic Arachnid warrior. Minimal IQ, armored, completely lethal. You can blow a limb off...

... and it's still 86% combat effective. But here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem and put it down for good. “

Seriously. 12ga. #4 buck. A lot of it. Follwed by napalm.

Mute
April 8, 2003, 12:40 PM
I should just make this my standard answer for all similar questions....

Phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

spacemanspiff
April 8, 2003, 12:54 PM
notice the spiders small body size. hes all legs. my rosehair has an abdomen three times the size of his. i bet 'leggy' eats small bugs only. probably wouldnt take a mouse or lizard like my rosehair does.
in fact, i'd put $5 on my rosehair kicking "leggys" spinnerets into next week.

but if 'leggy' were to make any sort of attack towards me, i might have to utter a manly grunt (unlike you screaming pansies) and reach for the 12 gauge.

5ptdeerhunter
April 8, 2003, 12:57 PM
Oh it's so cute.

Tamara
April 8, 2003, 01:14 PM
Thank gawd my AirSoft P90 has a three-position selector and a 55-round magazine!

(Seriously, though, my self-propelled pest eradicators would probably take care of it... :) )

Snowdog
April 8, 2003, 02:46 PM
I'd construct a flint spear and stalk it during a long, ritualistic hunt.

Then I would build a large fire in my front lawn and cook it while wearing wolf fur, grunting words like "cha cha chewy chub...."

Challenging my neighbors to combat with primitive gestures as I eat my roasted spider with my bare hands would complete this ritual act of bravery.

Kharn
April 8, 2003, 03:00 PM
SnowDog: And Officer Friendly would be along shortly to give you a free stay in a nice, cozy bed and breakfast with lots of other interesting guests. Dont worry about the grey bars, those are to keep the spiders out. :)

Kharn

Shalako
April 8, 2003, 03:04 PM
"cha cha chewy chub...."

:D :D :D

Jedi_7.62
April 8, 2003, 03:15 PM
First a nice big .50 BMG followed by A flame thrower like you see in WWII movies. Might feed remains to my snake!

I HATE BUGS!!!!!!

No not scared of them just HATE them.

Flashpoint
April 8, 2003, 03:19 PM
I would catch it and let it go outside. Maybe it would help reduce our state bird population, the misquitoe. Then again I bet a pet shop would buy it.

ball3006
April 8, 2003, 03:20 PM
Fed X it overnite to someone.......chris3

Shalako
April 8, 2003, 03:39 PM
I bet you could play a nice game of badminton with that sucker.

Toing!

oldfella
April 8, 2003, 04:25 PM
how about a .38/.357 Mag rat shot at close range.

Shooter973
April 8, 2003, 04:28 PM
I'd fall back about 500 yrds and call in an airstrike. Then call my home owners insurance and have them come look at the damage. Bomb damage assesment ! :neener:

Tamara
April 8, 2003, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty handy with a pellet pistol or airsoft buzzgun, but I know when I'm outclassed. Living in a 70+ year-old country house, these two Independently-Targeted, Self-Propelled Pest Eradicator Units have bagged three mice, a corn snake and gawd-knows-how-many large spiders, moths, crickets and other assorted creepy-crawlies in the last six months... (It's sort of a combination of having kids that are perpetually three years old: "What's that you've got in your mouth? What are you chewing on?" and living in a slasher flick: "Dear Vishnu! Where did all this blood on the closet floor come from?" :D )

Mittens (L) and Random Numbers (R):

synoptic
April 8, 2003, 05:10 PM
I swear I just saw a post from pax right after tamara's...hmmmmmm... By the way Tamara, my mom has one of those SPPE units, it does a great job but leaves the "gifts" on the back porch and likes to taunt lizards - she bats them and stuns them, then they try to run and she bats them again. She will lay down for hours and do this unless you take the poor lizard away.

Bruce H
April 8, 2003, 05:53 PM
By their looks you can tell that mittins and random numbers are both carrying.

QuarterBoreGunner
April 8, 2003, 06:00 PM
mittins and random numbers are both carrying

You can tell by the eyes- that's totally condition yellow.

grampster
April 8, 2003, 06:19 PM
Wal' I wore my elastic top pants to work today to be comfortable.
Then I made the mistake of opening up this thread.

I started with a shudder and then began laughing so hard as I scrolled through this thread that I blew out the elastic in my pants. Good thing I wore a belt.

Gosh, I haven't felt so good in weeks after roaring and laughing my way throuth this.

Thanks ya'll for the best entertainment in a long time.

Grampster
:D :D

Jason Demond
April 8, 2003, 08:22 PM
I would call up the Army, and order a fire mission on my house. Napalm that sucker straight to hell!

spacemanspiff
April 8, 2003, 08:33 PM
i posted this to the parallel thread in glocktalk, and this will probably scare whatever bejesus is left over in ya:

http://www.vlewis.net/spider.html
http://www.vlewis.net/myimages11/japspidercrab-3.gif

http://www.vlewis.net/myimages11/crabspider-4.jpg

in case you're too chicken to open the thread, this is a debated crab/spider. some say its a spider because it has 8 legs and two 'arms', while crabs have six legs and two claws.
appears that it has DNA that classifies it as 'crab'.
but it has been found on shores, and is hunted as it has 'delicious' meat. some kind of delicacy in japan.

one captured specimen measured 12 feet span between its legs and even longer pedipalps (dunno what crabs 'forearms' are called but tarantulas/spiders are called pedipalps). it weighed 41 pounds!

it has a hard outer shell, so maybe a minigun would slow it down? :evil: :what: :neener:

P95Carry
April 8, 2003, 08:36 PM
Very late to this thread ... #12 ''dust'' shot in a .22!:p

ENC
April 8, 2003, 11:37 PM
Don't know about crab forearms but lobsters and such claws are called chelicera.

Dionysusigma
April 8, 2003, 11:55 PM
Dunno 'bout that one, but I'd be sure as hell to try to use .458 Lott on this sucker...if that didn't work, then definately .50 BMG. Then I'd call the Marines. :D

Nightfall
April 9, 2003, 12:09 AM
I hate spiders.

That said, I catch 'em and let 'em outside. Living in the country, I get some big ones too. Unless one of two cats in my house gets them first.

Preacherman
April 9, 2003, 12:26 AM
For heaven's sake don't let Runt see that biggie! She'd want one, and I don't think Oleg is prepared for a spider big enough to stand astride their bed without even stretching!

:what: :uhoh: :scrutiny: :what:

Phil in Seattle
April 9, 2003, 12:35 AM
Nope Kharn has it....

Nuke it from orbit.

Anything else is a half measure.

triggertime
April 9, 2003, 01:30 AM
The spider in the opening pic looks like an adult Brown Recluse to me. The head and body shape are quite similar. Since the Brown Recluse has the potential to do more harm than good, I'd kill it. No offense, but that's like finding a rattlesnake under the couch.

arinvolvo
April 9, 2003, 02:31 AM
I dont think recluses get that big...But I am rather interested in knowing what kind of thing that is.

arinvolvo
April 9, 2003, 02:37 AM
http://www.museums.org.za/bio/images/scorpions/amblys.jpg

After consulting my insect-expert-brother, he says it is a tail-less whip scorpion..

And he just corrected me by saying that spiders are apparently not classified as insects. Whatever.

Anyway it is the Order: Amblypygi, and I havent found anything to suggest they are poisonous. But I still wouldnt give it to the kids to play with.

Oh, and one more thing, they are scary.:eek:

freeride21a
April 9, 2003, 03:37 AM
its not a brown recluse, they get a max of 3/4" long(including legs), but if you wanna be sure, brown recluse spiders have 6 eyes, where as the rest have 8.
its also not a whip scorpion, the legs are wrong and body too small and it is hairy, whip scorpoins are more exo shiny.

I agree with whoever said crab spider (http://redtail.eou.edu/Action.Lasso?-database=Photo%20Catalog&-layout=Form%20View&-response=catalog%2fdetail.html&-recid=63&-search).

ive also seen sheeps head crabs while scuba diving which are very similar to the spider crabs...seen a few that were 5' with their legs. Spider and sheeps head crabs are ok eating, but you have to crack the shell before you cook or it hardens into pain in the butt.

45King
April 9, 2003, 07:17 AM
Tamara, is Mittens a six-toed cat? The front dewclaws look a bit odd, similar to the ones on a six-toed cat I once had (her name was Isis.)

bogie
April 9, 2003, 11:15 AM
By the way, John Ross has a 2-Bore elephant gun... That would be a start...

A punt gun would also be interesting.

Felonious Monk
April 9, 2003, 11:42 AM
I'd use a crossbow on that hoss.

True Story:
I was in college, living in a dormitory on a hall full of similar delinquents.
While at home one weekend, I found and caught unharmed the BIGGEST Wolf spider I have EVER seen...probably between 3 1/2 and 4 inches across.

Took him back to school with me, and one new Freshman was VERY proud of his tropical fish tank. :cool:

While he was at class, we took the spider and dropped it in.
He floated on the surface, and could even raise up "on tiptoe" when the fish came to investigate. Boring.

Believing that this was not creating the kind of action we desired, we rigged a piece of thread and a small rock and looped it around one of the spider's legs so he would float, suspended in the water about halfway between the top and bottom of the tank.
Somehow, all the cilia on the spider's back formed a sort of "bubble trap" that allowed for an air pocket that rode down with him, so he was full strength for the better part of 15 minutes.

A couple of the larger fish got curious and hungry, and would circle around and "tap" the spider. As this produced no problems, a couple of the larger fish started doing test nibbles. On about the 3rd one, the spider decided he had had enough, and fffffWHAP! Sucked onto the face of the nibbler (at LEAST twice his size) like a scene from the movie Alien, chewed for a moment, and let go.
This happened with two of the other fish as well.

The victims would swim around, dazed, and 2 of the 3 died later that day. The 3rd lived, but was not healthy again for a good week or more.

Freshman was NONE too happy with us for killing his fish.

...Oh, the spider?
We finally had to just pull him up out of the tank and turn him loose in the woods behind the dorm. Anybody with THAT much fight in him had bought his freedom.
For all I know, he's probably out there eating squirrels and rabbits even now. :what:

50 Shooter
April 9, 2003, 11:44 AM
I've got everyones back! But seriously, it's only a spider! Why didn't anyone say anything about the one under the clock?

triggertime
April 9, 2003, 12:17 PM
freeride21a: I've caught Brown Recluse spiders that were much larger than 3/4". I guess they grow alot bigger in the south.

RustyHammer
April 9, 2003, 03:10 PM
... 45/70

chris93473
April 9, 2003, 04:21 PM
i would just catch it and play with it. then later on i'll put it inside a fedex box and give it to my parents and laugh my *** off

Russ
April 9, 2003, 05:33 PM
Your basic Flame Thrower! If it's fake you'll have quite a mess to clean up.

WonderNine
April 9, 2003, 08:08 PM
Not fake. It was originally posted by a guy from Australia on the off-topic.net forums.

Crikey! :eek:

:D

280PLUS
April 9, 2003, 08:53 PM
got this from an old nam vet...

ya takes yer 55 gallon barrel of gasoline and dump enough ivory flakes in it to turn it into a mass of gooey gel, dump a whole mess of ball bearings in it and then place it directly underneath our cuddly looking friend there with a little C-4 to touch her off and voila!

by the looks of it though, i'd say the house would be totally destroyed and the spider or whatever would probably walk away relatively unscathed...

:what:

lol, just managed to get a resounding EEEEEUUUUWWWWW!! from the girlfriend showing her that pic...thanx!:evil:

Stevie-Ray
April 9, 2003, 09:26 PM
SAR-48, full mag unload! God, I hate spiders! Snakes, no problem. Large insects, no problem. In fact I had a 8 inch walking stick trying to climb up my leg at a family reunion in Pennsylvania. I reached down and picked it up and presented it to my cousin on top of the picnic table. She damn near fainted.:D Had she presented me this spider, it would have been the other way around.:o

By the way, I've heard there were some saucer-sized spiders in Vietnam that hung around the latrines. Getting the testes tickled caused many a scream and bareassed run through the night.

Redlg155
April 9, 2003, 11:39 PM
Just convince bodybuilders that they are a good source of protien and creatine, glutamine and anabolic steroids and you'd have a huge market for them! :D

The spiders...not the cats. :D

Good Shooting
Red

synoptic
April 10, 2003, 12:12 AM
By the way, I've heard there were some saucer-sized spiders in Vietnam that hung around the latrines. Getting the testes tickled caused many a scream and bareassed run through the night.

shudder

OMG, I'm gonna have nightmares now!

guns'ahoy
April 10, 2003, 12:48 AM
:repost:

:fawk:

Jim March
April 10, 2003, 03:24 AM
Crabs have eight legs plus the two claws. The site on the large Japanese crab had that wrong.

That Japanese crab is related to the Alaska King Crab and a lot of similar, smaller spindly-legged crabs from all over the world. There's a type found off the California coast, found in seaweed clusters, gets about 6" to 8" across tops ("legspan" measurement) and dark red but there's no meat on 'em (care to guess how I know?). Same basic shape of shell, same ratio of shell size to legspan.

Here's a bic of a typical crab - this one is the sort of big red edible crabs you catch off the coast of England, closely related to the California Dungeness, Rock Crab or similar:

http://www.nhc.ed.ac.uk/sculptures/sculpturesimages/crab.gif

Count the legs.

Another typical example:

http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/environmental_studies/crab.gif

VNgo
April 10, 2003, 03:30 AM
The nasty little pointy-dart rounds for my .177 BB/pellet gun oughta do the job with minimal collateral damage.

stevelyn
April 10, 2003, 09:36 AM
Gun hell! I'd stick him with a 4/0 O'Shaunessy tied to a 9wt Orvis and use him to fish northern pike off the Yukon River. :D :evil: :D

Safety First
April 10, 2003, 10:54 AM
How about one of those new-fangled smart bombs?

synoptic
April 10, 2003, 12:22 PM
Stun gun could be fun :evil:

Shalako
April 10, 2003, 01:13 PM
Magnifying glass and my 1,000,000 candle power spotlight.

"Do you smell something burning?"

Pop!

Freedspeak
April 10, 2003, 02:38 PM
Showed the pic to my wife and she identifies it as a Brown Betty spider, a type of huntsman spider. They get to be about 6" or so across on the legs.

Non web spinning and eats roaches (the big ones we have down south). So I guess we'd let it stay in the house (one way to encourage the son to move out, he's arachnophobic, his mother and I aren't):evil:

no3-
April 10, 2003, 05:13 PM
Stun gun will work, but you have to fry it for a looong time.
A rolled up newspaper would be my weapon of choice, would use a BIG newspaper though...

Okiecruffler
April 10, 2003, 06:11 PM
I would wet myself, shriek like a school girl, and call for The Wife. She takes care of anything with more than 4 legs.

Seriously tho' arachniphobia isn't cool. I've been known to hyperventilate when I turn the page of a book and there's a picture of a spider on the next page. I've never been biten by one, or have any traumatic experiences with them, must be faulty wiring in my main frame.

spacemanspiff
April 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
i'm going to have to take some more pics of my arachnids sitting on or near my guns.

see, i'm trying to help you arachnophobes out. the more you are exposed to them in ways that cannot harm you, the more desensitized you should be getting. think of it as, community service!

hehe

last summer i came across a couple hundred of spiderlings, they must have recently hatched. some species of garden spider. if you look carefully in your gardens, lawns, shrubs, even in your house, you will likely find the shed skins the spider leaves as it grows. it will look exactly like a spider, only it will be hollow, and lighter than a feather.

i save my tarantula molts, at least the ones i can preserve. my stoutleg baboon recently molted. her first one in the last year that i've had her.

i wonder how many of you have shrieked and screamed over an empty spider molt? :D

Dave Markowitz
April 10, 2003, 09:21 PM
No. 1 Mk.III* SMLE loaded with 10 rounds of 180 grain SP .303.

AND with the 17" bayonet fixed!

Stevie-Ray
April 11, 2003, 08:35 PM
Seriously tho' arachniphobia isn't cool. I've been known to hyperventilate when I turn the page of a book and there's a picture of a spider on the next page. I've never been biten by one, or have any traumatic experiences with them, must be faulty wiring in my main frame. Well, keep in mind that ALL spiders are poisonous. This is how they kill. Of course most are not deadly to humans. But the larger ones can damn well hurt you. Case in point: Have you noticed how flies bite when it's gonna rain? Sitting on my porch one day I had that sensation except maybe a little worse. First thing came to mind was possibly a horsefly, along with OUCH, SONUVAB***H!! and swatting at my leg. Looking under my chair I saw a large orbweaver of some kind scurrying toward the end of the porch. My neighbor asked, "Did that thing bite you?" I said yes as I scampered off the porch in order to pay the offending creature back in spades. I got him with my shoe as he was going down the side of the porch to the relative safety of the green jungle. God, he was juicy. The next day, I had what looked like a giant mosquito bite on the side of my leg, and it itched like one too. One difference was if I scratched it it hurt. It started receding after a few days, but it didn't do anything but reinforce my arachniphobia. I hate spiders, and yes they CAN hurt you. I take no chances with them.

sm
April 11, 2003, 08:58 PM
I'd probably just bat it down and take it outside. I might take it fishing if I still lived where I had a pond. Granted -if not a recluse or widow.

I'm fortunate I guess, don't don't have a phobia. I respect spiders, snakes and the like. I have seen the nasty reactions from both poisionous and non-poisionous critters.

I do hunt with a friend whom has a real phobia of spiders and snakes, hyperventilates and everything, his wife informed me so I take heed, shoot them, and know where the meds are if he gets too bad off.

I once worked with a young lady that had a true FEAR of spiders, she finally went to a hypnotist at the suggestion of a therapist. things were already bad, then she and hubby bought a summer place,spiders everywhere, he actually had to take her to the ER . Hypnotist must have worked, she came in one day , saw a spider, batted into a coffee cup, let the spider go outside, washed the same cup poured and drank coffee. Never let on that the spider bothered her. We all were just totally surprised.

ed dixon
April 11, 2003, 09:21 PM
The baby doing a pushup into a prone shooting position was OT but this isn't?:scrutiny: (Come on, while that spider looks tasty, that baby was very cute.)

Rawlings
April 11, 2003, 09:47 PM
If I ever saw legs that big sticking out from under my clock... I wouldn't be taking any chances. I'd have to burn the house down.

spacemanspiff
April 11, 2003, 10:08 PM
it helps that at least two of the mods/admins maintain spiders as a hobby.

plus, what gun would you use to take out one of these spiders?

Betty
April 11, 2003, 10:17 PM
The baby doing a pushup into a prone shooting position was OT but this isn't?

Uhhhh... It started as on-topic, but has drifted, which is why I'm closing it now.

:rolleyes:

it helps that at least two of the mods/admins maintain spiders as a hobby.

Uhhhh...no, I promptly closed Mike Irwin's thread on spiders earlier this week. I think the both of you missed that.

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of gun to take out this critter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!