Q about vest ???

PDA

RUBZERK
January 3, 2006, 09:52 PM
Why is it against the law to own a bullet proof vest ???

If you enjoyed reading about "Q about vest ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
January 3, 2006, 09:57 PM
It isn't.

RUBZERK
January 3, 2006, 09:57 PM
So it is legal to own & wear a bullet proof vest in public ??? anywhere in the USA ??

Bruce333
January 3, 2006, 10:03 PM
Right at the moment anyway....

However, no mail order sales in CT, in store only.

Residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military)"

RUBZERK
January 3, 2006, 10:04 PM
So where would somebody buy a bulletproof vest at ?

ka50
January 3, 2006, 10:12 PM
So where would somebody buy a bulletproof vest at ?

Military surplus comes to mind...

V4Vendetta
January 3, 2006, 10:14 PM
Check online. You'd be amazed what's online these days.

Arethusa
January 3, 2006, 10:16 PM
Aren't there significant restrictions on buying body armor in California, New York, and New Jersey? I'm at least certain it's illegal for a convicted felon to own armor in New Jersey. Not sure about purchasing, however.

AFhack
January 3, 2006, 10:16 PM
http://www.firstdefense.com/html/vest_bulletproof_vests.htm

just a thought... a google search on "bulletproof vest" brought up over a dozen vendors, among other sites.

Bruce333
January 3, 2006, 10:21 PM
Aren't there significant restrictions on buying body armor in California, New York, and New Jersey? I'm at least certain it's illegal for a convicted felon to own armor in New Jersey. Not sure about purchasing, however.Federal law prohibits convicted felons from possesing body armor, in all States.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/index.shtml

RUBZERK
January 3, 2006, 10:41 PM
Does anybody here own a vest that they wear on a daily that is not a LEO

ceetee
January 3, 2006, 11:08 PM
I think there are many jurisdictions in which wearing one during the comission of a felony bumps the felony up a notch.

That's how it is here (Fla) with wearing a mask during the comission...

Standing Wolf
January 3, 2006, 11:59 PM
I believe it's illegal for commoners to own bullet-proof gear in a few states: after all, we certainly wouldn't want them to believe they're entitled to the same degree of protection as self-appointed aristocrats, would we?

Kodiaz
January 4, 2006, 12:25 AM
Isnt it funny how the places you would most likely need a bullet proof vest. Are the places that don't let you have one. I guess the same can be said for CWP. I'm glad I live in Fl.

Lone Tundra Wolf
January 4, 2006, 12:34 AM
Rubzerk....I ware one everyday for personal reasons....I shop and deal with a lot of places that will not let me carry my 9 with me...so that is the reason for the vest. And no I am not a LEO....

GregGry
January 4, 2006, 01:18 AM
From the books, in Wisconsin

941.291 Possession of body armor.
941.291(1)(a)
(a) "Body armor" means any garment that is designed, redesigned, or adapted to prevent bullets from penetrating through the garment.

941.291(2)
(2) Prohibition. Except as provided in subs. (4), (5), (5m), and (6), no person may possess body armor if any of the following applies to the person:

941.291(4)(a)
(a) A person who is otherwise prohibited from possessing body armor under sub. (2) may request a complete or partial exemption from the prohibition if all of the following apply:

941.291(4)(a)1.
1. The person has a reasonable need to possess body armor to ensure his or her personal safety, to earn a livelihood, or as a condition of employment.

941.291(4)(a)2.
2. The person is likely to use the body armor in a safe and lawful manner.

941.291(4)(b)
(b) A person seeking a complete or partial exemption under this subsection from the prohibition under sub. (2) shall request the exemption by filing a written motion in the circuit court for the county in which the person will possess the body armor. A person who files a motion under this paragraph shall send a copy of the motion to the district attorney for the county in which the motion is filed. The district attorney shall make a reasonable attempt to contact the county sheriff and, if applicable, the chief of police of a city, village, or town in the county in which the person will possess the body armor for the purpose of informing the sheriff and the chief of police that the person has made a request for an exemption and to solicit from the sheriff and chief of police any information that may be relevant to the criteria specified in par. (a) 1. and 2.

941.291(4)(c)
(c) A court deciding whether to grant a request for an exemption made under par. (b) may deny the request for an exemption, grant a complete exemption from the prohibition, or grant a partial exemption by allowing possession of body armor only under certain specified circumstances or in certain locations or both. In deciding whether a person satisfies the criteria specified in par. (a) 1. and 2. and, if so, whether to grant an exemption, the court shall consider the person's character, including the person's criminal record, the totality of the person's circumstances, and any relevant evidence of the person's character and circumstances, including any relevant evidence submitted by the district attorney who received the copy of the motion under par. (b).

941.291(4)(d)
(d) If a court grants a request for an exemption under par. (c), the court shall issue a written order of exemption to the person who requested the exemption. The exemption is valid only in the county in which the court is located. If the exemption is a partial exemption, the order shall specify the circumstances under which the person may possess body armor, the locations in which the person may possess body armor, or, if applicable, both. The person granted the exemption shall carry a copy of the order of exemption at all times during which he or she is in possession of body armor. The clerk of the circuit court shall send a copy of the order of exemption to the county sheriff and, if applicable, to the chief of police of a city, village, or town in the county in which the person will possess the body armor.

941.291(5)
(5) Exemption based on request of law enforcement agency for certain witnesses and informers. A person who is otherwise prohibited from possessing body armor under sub. (2) may wear body armor if the person is furnishing or has furnished information to a law enforcement agency relating to a possible violation of law or is assisting or has assisted a law enforcement agency in an investigation of a possible violation of law and is wearing the body armor at the request or direction of the law enforcement agency.

941.291(5m)(a)
(a) A person who is otherwise prohibited from possessing body armor under sub. (2) may possess body armor if all of the following apply:

941.291(5m)(a)3.
3. The law enforcement agency to which the person is furnishing or has furnished information or to which the person is providing or has provided assistance approves of the person's request to possess body armor under par. (b).

941.291(5m)(b)
(b) A person seeking an exemption under this subsection from the prohibition under sub. (2) shall request the exemption from the law enforcement agency to which the person is furnishing or has furnished information or to which the person is providing or has provided assistance. The law enforcement agency may deny the request for an exemption, grant a complete exemption from the prohibition, or grant a partial exemption by allowing possession of body armor only under certain specified circumstances or in certain locations or both. If the law enforcement agency grants a request for an exemption under this subsection, it shall keep a written record of the exemption. If the exemption is a partial exemption, the record shall specify the circumstances under which the person may possess body armor, the locations in which the person may possess body armor, or, if applicable, both. A written record relating to an exemption granted by a law enforcement agency under this subsection is not subject to inspection or copying under s. 19.35 (1), except that a written record shall, upon request, be disclosed to another law enforcement agency or a district attorney, if the other law enforcement agency or the district attorney is investigating or prosecuting an alleged violation of sub. (2) or to the person to whom the exemption was granted.

941.291(6)
(6) Exemption from prohibition for certain prisoners. A person who is prohibited from possessing body armor under sub. (2) may wear body armor if he or she is in the actual custody of a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 165.85 (2) (c), or a correctional officer, as defined in s. 102.475 (8) (a), and is wearing the body armor at the request or direction of the law enforcement officer or correctional officer.

971.17(1h)
(1h) Notice of restrictions on possession of body armor. If the defendant under sub. (1) is found not guilty of a violent felony, as defined in s. 941.291 (1) (b), by reason of mental disease or defect, the court shall inform the defendant of the requirements and penalties under s. 941.291.

973.0335Sentencing; restriction on possession of body armor.

973.0335 Sentencing; restriction on possession of body armor. Whenever a court imposes a sentence or places a defendant on probation for a conviction for a violent felony, as defined in s. 941.291 (1) (b), the court shall inform the defendant of the requirements and penalties under s. 941.291

Travis McGee
January 4, 2006, 01:49 AM
This thread is a good reminder to pick up body armor. Anyone interested enough in guns and our RKBA to get a CCW etc should buy armor...while they still can.

Devonai
January 4, 2006, 04:59 AM
Cops wear concealed ballistic vests all the time. Why wouldn't you want their feedback?

bogie
January 4, 2006, 09:58 AM
Methinx that the original poster needs to go slap their high school English teacher around a little...

Getting one's idea of laws from television and video games is a sure way to end up in jail.

jobu07
January 4, 2006, 10:14 AM
Federal law prohibits convicted felons from possesing body armor, in all States.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/index.shtml

I know some states also prohibit anyone from wearing bullet proof vests during the commission of a felony. So it's illegal to wear a vest while say, robbing a bank.

NineseveN
January 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
This thread strikes me as odd, but still I read on with great interest. :D

wdlsguy
January 4, 2006, 03:07 PM
Texas Penal Code 46.041. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF METAL OR BODY ARMOR BY FELON.
(a) In this section, "metal or body armor" means any body covering manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of protecting a person against gunfire.
(b) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if after the conviction the person possesses metal or body armor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree.

dfaugh
January 4, 2006, 04:17 PM
contact me by PM if interested.

Vern Humphrey
January 4, 2006, 04:42 PM
Aren't there significant restrictions on buying body armor in California, New York, and New Jersey? I'm at least certain it's illegal for a convicted felon to own armor in New Jersey. Not sure about purchasing, however.

There are jurisdictions where it's illegal for ordinary citizens to own and wear body armor. These are typically jurisdictions where it's also illegal for ordinary citizens to carry firearms for self-defense. Can't handicap the criminals, you know.:banghead:

entropy
January 4, 2006, 05:26 PM
So what's in 941.291(3),GregGry?

941.291(2)2 begins to outline conditions under which a person may not possess body armor, but stops short of actually imposing any condition. If this statute is completely reflected in your post, it appears there is no restriction, yet 941.291(4), (5), and (6) enumerate exemptions from the (non) said restrictions.

Either the missing conditions are in 941.291 (2) or (3), correct?:confused:

wdlsguy
January 4, 2006, 05:37 PM
Wisconsin Statutes 941.291 Possession of body armor.

(1) Definitions. In this section:
(a) "Body armor" means any garment that is designed, redesigned, or adapted to prevent bullets from penetrating through the garment.
(b) "Violent felony" means any felony, or the solicitation, conspiracy, or attempt to commit any felony, under s. 943.23 (1m) or (1r), 1999 stats., or s. 940.01, 940.02, 940.03, 940.05, 940.06, 940.08, 940.09, 940.10, 940.19, 940.195, 940.20, 940.201, 940.203, 940.21, 940.225, 940.23, 940.285 (2), 940.29, 940.295 (3), 940.30, 940.305, 940.31, 940.43 (1) to (3), 940.45 (1) to (3), 941.20, 941.26, 941.28, 941.29, 941.30, 941.327, 943.01 (2) (c), 943.011, 943.013, 943.02, 943.04, 943.06, 943.10 (2), 943.23 (1g), 943.32, 946.43, 947.015, 948.02 (1) or (2), 948.025, 948.03, 948.04, 948.05, 948.06, 948.07, 948.08, or 948.30.

(2) Prohibition. Except as provided in subs. (4), (5), (5m), and (6), no person may possess body armor if any of the following applies to the person:
(a) The person has been convicted of a violent felony in this state and has not been pardoned for it.
(b) The person has been convicted of a crime elsewhere that would be a violent felony if committed in this state and has not been pardoned for it.
(c) The person has been adjudicated delinquent for an act that if committed by an adult in this state would be a violent felony.
(d) The person has been found not guilty of a violent felony in this state by reason of mental disease or defect.
(e) The person has been found not guilty of or not responsible for a crime elsewhere by reason of insanity or mental disease, defect, or illness if the crime would be a violent felony in this state.

(3) Penalty.
(a) Whoever violates sub. (2) is guilty of a Class E felony.
(b) Whoever violates sub. (2) after being convicted of violating sub. (2) is guilty of a Class D felony.

entropy
January 4, 2006, 06:20 PM
So it is legal to own body armor in WI, assuming one is a law-abiding citizen. [Bill Murray "Carl" voice] Which is nice. [/Bill Murray "Carl" voice]:)

Chipperman
January 4, 2006, 06:30 PM
MA law:

Chapter 269: Section 10D Body armor; use in commission of crime

Section 10D. Whoever, while in the commission or attempted commission of a felony, uses or wears any body armor, so-called, or any protective covering for the body or any parts thereof, made of resin-treated glass-fiber cloth, or of any other material or combination of materials, designed to prevent, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knives or other weapons, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years or for not less than one year nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction

=========================

So I can wear mine anytime I want. I just need to take it off if I decide to commit a felony. :rolleyes:

Big Cat
January 4, 2006, 06:54 PM
So, if you are wearing body armor and in self defense shoot and kill a BG, but the DA doesn't think it is a good shoot and it goes to trial. . . you could have been wearing body armor during the comission of a felony in the courts eyes.

Just a thought

Chipperman
January 4, 2006, 07:58 PM
If you get convicted of a felony shooting, the added offense of the armor will be the least of your worries.

If you enjoyed reading about "Q about vest ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!