Firearm Transportation????

PDA

ParChaser
January 3, 2006, 11:26 PM
Can I buy a gun on a vacaton in one state and ship it back to myself? If I wanted to go to a shooting tournament and shoot in a different state, how do I get 2-3 guns there if I am flying? Can you stow them underneath by packing them in NONcarryon luggage? Can I UPS them to myself? How does this work when people go to tournements?

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm Transportation????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kodiaz
January 4, 2006, 12:35 AM
Get a locking gun case and make sure you have spare keys. Get on line when you get to the ticket counter say you want to declare a fire arm. Smile internally while the leftists all around you have a hissy fit. Then depending what state your in (I transferred from NY to FL) the total idiot ticket clerk will have a fit and start calling on the radio that someone has a gun(I swear this is the truth). Then airport police will come (I love my FL police, but NY'ers suck at everything) and be shocked that you have a weapon. Once again internalize your smile while leftists have another fit. Then they will open your case and make sure you don't have ammo. Please don't take ammo it's a big no no. Then all your luggage will be put on the plane with the first class treatment. When you get to where you are going. Fly to the baggage carousel because 3 of the 4 times I flew my guns to Fl my baggage was first. The other time it was last.

I hope that helps. Depending on the concentration of leftists where you live or where your going this can be easier or harder.

Here in Fl it is no big deal from my airport. They don't make a fuss at all.

larry_minn
January 4, 2006, 12:43 AM
Can I buy a gun on a vacaton in one state and ship it back to myself? If I wanted to go to a shooting tournament and shoot in a different state, how do I get 2-3 guns there if I am flying? Can you stow them underneath by packing them in NONcarryon luggage? Can I UPS them to myself? How does this work when people go to tournements?

First buying out of state of residence. Long guns (normally) yes. Handguns NO. BUT all you have to do is know of a FFL in your home state. Have him/her send a (signed in ink ffl card) to person you are buying gun from and then they can send gun to your home state FFL where you pay him/her a fee (bookkeeping) and get gun. Now if family/etc/etc/other junk look it up... (few exceptions in some states) Trying to be general.
As far as transporting guns via airlines. (and on this) check out www.glocktalk.com they have (sticky) in general non glockig (IIRC) on flying and in "buy/sell firearms" a sticky about laws.)
Anyway for me flying with guns is first check website for airline and PRINT OUT RULES> Have copy on your. Get to airport EARLY. When you pack to leave EARLY make sure your guns are in a hard sided LOCKABLE guncase with NO ammo in gun/mags/loose, Many airlines limit how much ammo (look it up and consider carrying less and buying more) Now once you get there EARLY (catch the theme?) do NOT let curb folks take your bag. Go to ticket counter and present ticket/ID and request a orange/red tag for marking a "UNLOADED firearm in a hard sided case with ammo in DOT approved case" It helps if you run a bright rope/yarn thru barrel (or gun lock cable) so they can see it is not possible to be loaded. Most will do it low key but I have had idiot order me to hold gun up high....HIGHER...HIGHER so they can see it is unloaded. (they shouldn't touch your gun but if gun nut who knows?) Then LOCK your gun case (after signing red card and putting it inside) and they will normally instruct you to bring it over to TSA and tell them there is a firearm inside. (DO IT) WAIT till they are done (normally they ask you to wait till they clear it) IF they want the key/combo....... Lets just say THAT is why you want to be early. Kinda a grey area. By law YOU are only one supposed to have combo/key to lock BUT they are in charge (and could break lock/case easy) So IMO make counter offer. "OK but I was told it was against the law for me to give combo/key... COULD I just unlock it and you inspect and then let me lock it again?" Odds are they will say no so ask if you could talk to supervisor. Never refuse just try to work with them. (btw never happend to me. Case with guns has always gone thru scanners with a ok) It really is no problem but more then once some idiot will cause problems.
Such as airline rule states "Up to 10lbs of ammo" and IIRC 3 handguns or two rifles. I had two handguns and 250rds of ammo. (GSSF match)
(BTW any cardboard store ammo box that holds ammo seperate is legal. I was told bulk boxes are legal as well but likely to cause trouble I repack ammo in 50 rd boxes for that reason)
Anyway ticket agent figures 100rds is max. Just decided and ordered me to dispose of other rds. I put my name on it and declared it a found item to security and then (claimed) it a week later. :) Having TIME helped.
Also they (ticket agents) might tell you to do things that are WRONG. (such as carry gun in pass compartment IN plane) DON'T. and if they give you bags to bring to connecting flight INSIDE security zone do NOT accept it. (do you think I could make this up?)
Also if you realize you have a weapon/ammo on you past security zone SHUT UP....

ParChaser
January 4, 2006, 01:48 AM
Going to Las Vegas for CES this week. If I did a FTF transaction or bought a gun out in Vegas can I ship it back? Do I dare mail a gun back to myself? Is that legal? If so how?

SIOP
January 4, 2006, 11:49 AM
Going to Las Vegas for CES this week. If I did a FTF transaction or bought a gun out in Vegas can I ship it back? Do I dare mail a gun back to myself? Is that legal? If so how?

The only firearm you can legally obtain in NV is a long gun because you are a nonresident. You can ship any firearm, handgun or long gun, to yourself anywhere. You can ship any firearm FedEx or UPS, you can also ship a long gun USPS.

ball3006
January 4, 2006, 01:15 PM
on the plane in checked baggage with your firearm. It just has to be in the original box or a box specifically designed for ammo, aka the plastic ammo boxes........I have taken my pistols on vacation with me the last three years. The pistol is in a pistol case with mags removed with a box of ammo. I do not remember the limit on the amout of ammo you can have. I just have a 50 round box with me. I place the locked pistol case inside a hardside suitcase which is lockable. Need to check with your specific airline though.

I declare the guns when I check in at the ticket counter. The agent asks me to open the case so they can see the gun is not loaded. I then take the tagged bag over to TSA where they xray the bag. The first time I checked a gun they wanted to look in the bag. I had placed the pistol case in the lid of the bag and not the main compartment. They could not understand where the gun was. I told them it was in the lid before they tore my whole bag apart. The last two times I flew, they just xrayed the bag and sent it on......chris3

wdlsguy
January 4, 2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b

ParChaser
January 4, 2006, 04:02 PM
The only firearm you can legally obtain in NV is a long gun because you are a nonresident. You can ship any firearm, handgun or long gun, to yourself anywhere. You can ship any firearm FedEx or UPS, you can also ship a long gun USPS.

I can't legallly do a FTF transaction here in NV? Is that what your saying? Or do you mean I couldn't walk into a Pawn SHop and buy one?

wdlsguy
January 4, 2006, 04:19 PM
I can't legallly do a FTF transaction here in NV?

Not without an FFL being involved.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm Transportation????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!