Question about neck sizing for 7.62x54

PDA

Matt Dillon
January 4, 2006, 12:07 AM
Folks, I have finally worked up a good hunting load for S. Texas ( relatively short distances in heavy brush) which I hope to try soon on some feral hogs. This for a Mosin Nagant M44. and is a load consisting of a Hornady 3130 round nose 174 grain bullet, graf's brass in 7.62x54, and 47.1 grains of IMR 4064. With a LER 4x Swift pistol scope, I was able to get 5 holes within a .71" diameter at 50 yards with this load. (Pretty amazing, as I'm not a great shot, and with 50 year old plus eyes, probably not repeatable :-))

My question for you is this. I now have quite a few rounds that I have shot and tumbled. Before I remove the primer, I was wondering about neck sizing the cases with a .303 British Lee Neck sizing die.

I have never neck sized any round, but I have heard that it may improve accuracy, and since I have some cases that have been fired in that chamber, I thought I might explore the possibility of neck sizing this round.
Any thoughts? The Lee Enfield die is the only neck sizing die that I own, and I purchased it a few years ago, as one of my projects is to accurize an MK4#1 and develop some good loads for it.

I welcome any and all thoughts and advice, as I don't wish to return the brass to its original shape, if some advantage could be gained by neck sizing and not full-length resizing of this brass. Thanks so much in advance, Matt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about neck sizing for 7.62x54" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
January 4, 2006, 12:18 AM
You dont need to use the 303 die, all you need to do is run the 7.62x54 sizing die down into your press untill it contacts the shellholder with the ram fully extended then you unscrew the die out of your press untill there is a 1/8" to 3/16" gap between the shellholder and the die. VIOLA! Neck size only. works great on rimmed cartriges.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about neck sizing for 7.62x54" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!