American Rifleman black list.

PDA

Wonder9
January 4, 2006, 01:57 PM
I seem to remember years ago American Rifleman posted a list of companies that were gun un-friendly. Does anyone have this list or is there an updated list?

If you enjoyed reading about "American Rifleman black list." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ScottsGT
January 4, 2006, 02:00 PM
Here's Pink Pistols website. (Did a Google search)
http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html

CentralTexas
January 4, 2006, 02:23 PM
- they list the BATFE!!!
CT

phantomak47
January 4, 2006, 02:42 PM
Wait......Aerosmith is on the list.....Yet they are very very good friends of Ted Nugent and they are big time gun owners..anyone know anythign about this???

V4Vendetta
January 4, 2006, 03:27 PM
Paul Newman!
Robert Redford!
Richard Dean Anderson!
Sean Connery!
Matt Damon!
Danny De Vito!
Eli Wallach!

THESE WERE SOME OF MY FAVORITE ACTORS!!!!!!!!:banghead: :cuss: :fire: HOW COULD THEY BETRAY ME!?!!?!?!??!?!?! I'm gonna go to my room now & cry.:(

CentralTexas
January 4, 2006, 03:46 PM
Wait......Aerosmith is on the list.....Yet they are very very good friends of Ted Nugent and they are big time gun owners..anyone know anythign about this???

Probably has to do with them accepting permits to carry in NEW YORK CITY that mortals can't get? Just a thought, or maybe that every album since Permanant Vacation sucks? Ballads like they churn out now? Who knows?;)
CT

Mizzle187
January 4, 2006, 03:49 PM

I was watching the TV show Smith & Wesson a week or so ago and they where at the S&W Performance Center Plant. The head of the PC even stated that they had made many many PC guns for all of the members from Aerosmith upon their request. So thats not right!

Old Dog
January 4, 2006, 03:51 PM
Who cares anymore?

If you want to personally "boycott" or maintain a black-list of every single person, organization, company or business that at one time or another has in any way, shape or form indicated even a mildly anti-gun political stance -- I submit that you'd better be prepared to: spend all your free time reseaching companies' and entertainers' politics, quit wearing Levi's, stop shopping at Safeway, quit drinking any beer except that swill Budweiser, restrict your TV viewing to re-runs of Magnum, P.I., stop going to any movies at the cinema whatsoever, cancel your Blockbuster membership and develop a fondness for country music ...

If we really cared about any of this, we'd all have stopped buying Smith & Wesson and Ruger products long ago.

Thefabulousfink
January 4, 2006, 03:53 PM
I wish that list would contain explaination along with it because there are a few on there that make me just go HUH?:confused:

V4Vendetta
January 4, 2006, 04:01 PM
"If we really cared about any of this, we'd all have stopped buying Smith & Wesson and Ruger products long ago."

I've never bought either of their products. If I wanted a revolver I'd go to Colt or Taurus. If I wanted a shotgun, I'd go Mossberg. If I wanted a rifle, I'd save up for a Shiloh Sharps aka "the Quigley". If I wanted a semi-auto pistol, I'd get a Glock or Colt.

jacobtowne
January 4, 2006, 04:06 PM
Here's a website that may help.

http://www.anticcw.com/

JT

lamazza
January 4, 2006, 05:15 PM
Interesting site. I just love the list of celebrities...Of course they won't object to "the message that they are sending" by using guns in movies that they are paid millions of dollars to star in. Their anti-gun stance only goes so far I guess...

Phaetos
January 4, 2006, 05:46 PM
American Bar Association
American Civil Liberties Union

Uhhh... that seems like a misnomer to me. Why would the ABA be anti-gun? Isn't that like 90% of their business :p And the ACLU, let's look at that name "Civil Liberties". That's a contradiction.

Upon further inspection, there are A LOT of contradictions. Actors that are anti-gun, yet continuosly play in roles where guns are a major factor. Some I can understand from past media coverage, others I can't wrap my mind around. Take David Duchovny as an example. He spent 9 years toting around a gun as an FBI agent in X-Files and he's anti-gun. Benjamin Bratt, did how many years as a NY cop in "Law & Order" and now plays a Lt. on "E-Ring". Spike Lee?! Weren't most of his movies about gangs and guns in the early 90's, and I don't think any of them were about a positive spin on guns. Willie Nelson?!?!?!

tube_ee
January 4, 2006, 06:11 PM
American Bar Association

Uhhh... that seems like a misnomer to me. Why would the ABA be anti-gun? Isn't that like 90% of their business :p And the ACLU, let's look at that name "Civil Liberties". That's a contradiction.

Upon further inspection, there are A LOT of contradictions. Actors that are anti-gun, yet continuosly play in roles where guns are a major factor. Some I can understand from past media coverage, others I can't wrap my mind around. Take David Duchovny as an example. He spent 9 years toting around a gun as an FBI agent in X-Files and he's anti-gun. Benjamin Bratt, did how many years as a NY cop in "Law & Order" and now plays a Lt. on "E-Ring". Spike Lee?! Weren't most of his movies about gangs and guns in the early 90's, and I don't think any of them were about a positive spin on guns. Willie Nelson?!?!?!

The ACLU isn't really pro- or anti- gun. They focus on especially the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 14th and 15th amendments. 2nd amendment issues are dealt with by other organizations. Why this is, I don't know, but we need both perspectives, and I don't require them to be in the same organization. As long as all the bases get covered, I don't care how it's done.

The ABA's position doesn't really matter to me. As long as there are lawyers who will take both sides of a gun case and advocate thier client's position to the best of their ability, I don't care what their professional organization does. I wonder if they got that rating by contributing to anti-gun Democrats, or for giving more money to the DNC than to the RNC. That's not evidence of anti-gun bias. It's just smart business for an organization of lawyers. The Republican party likes certain kinds of lawyers, sure, like prosecutors, and tax attorneys ;-> but the GOP platform includes things like tort reform that would make a whole bunch of lawyers miss their BMW payments if they became law, so the ABA goes with the Dems. Simple math.

As to anti-gun actors taking gun-heavy roles in movies, well, money talks. Apparently they feel that their principles aren't violated by the contradiction. I'm not sure I agree, but it's not my call. I don't even get a vote. And that's as it should be.

--Shannon

Jim Watson
January 4, 2006, 06:14 PM
And you have to consider that a lot of these prominent people in government, entertainment, and sports see no contradiction in THEM having guns while limiting your rights. They are, after all, special.

CAS700850
January 4, 2006, 06:15 PM
Personally, it makes me wonder how many of them really give a darn about the issue, and how many were looking for a politically correct tax write-off. Yes, you can blame them for supporting the cause, but think about it. in Hollywod, liberals are the rule, not the exception. You are an actor in Hollywood. You need to fit in to stay employed, you need to make charitable contributions for tax purposes. You need liberal causes to support. So, you break out the check book and write a $500 check for the cause when Rosie or whoever asks for your support. Not too many have the power of a Tom Selleck or John Millius to say what they want to say and stay gainfully employed in the industry. Not that this is an excuse, but it is understandable.

M.E.Eldridge
January 4, 2006, 06:29 PM
When it comes to black lists I only care about charities. I don't want to be giving money to a charity earmarked for social help of some kind and have it end up as funds for anti-gun crap.I don't give a damn about what most celebs think, but I do respect Charlton Heston for his NRA work. When it comes to most Hollywood types my motto is: If they condone it, I condemn it.

mustanger98
January 4, 2006, 06:37 PM
Who cares anymore?

If you want to personally "boycott" or maintain a black-list of every single person, organization, company or business that at one time or another has in any way, shape or form indicated even a mildly anti-gun political stance -- I submit that you'd better be prepared to: spend all your free time reseaching companies' and entertainers' politics, quit wearing Levi's, stop shopping at Safeway, quit drinking any beer except that swill Budweiser, restrict your TV viewing to re-runs of Magnum, P.I., stop going to any movies at the cinema whatsoever, cancel your Blockbuster membership and develop a fondness for country music ...

If we really cared about any of this, we'd all have stopped buying Smith & Wesson and Ruger products long ago.

Okay, let's see... I don't wear Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger products because they were blacklisted in Blue Press. I quite wearing Levi's a LONG time ago. I don't drink beer- I'm allergic too it and it about turned my mouth inside out when I was 10 years old. I don't drink Wild Turkey because they're owned by a French holding corporation and Bill O'Reilly has that boycott of anything French. I switched to Jim Beam as I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, other than some people's complaints because they can't stand the thought of drinking likker that cost less than $40 a shot. I mostly watch the Outdoor Channel, FOXNews, and CMT. Grew up listening to Country music and Western music- those are two different things. And if you buy used Ruger's and used S&W's it didn't do those companies any good unless you had to buy parts from them, but you can get parts from Numrich.

mrmeval
January 4, 2006, 08:34 PM
ACLU has made it part of their charter to be anti-individual and anti-gun.
http://www.aclu.org/police/gen/14523res20020304.html
http://blog.joehuffman.org/2004/12/19/ACLU+Responds.aspx

[QUOTE=Phaetos]American Bar Association

/QUOTE]

IndianaDean
January 4, 2006, 10:22 PM
"Janie's got a gun" sounds very much to me like an anti-gun song. Maybe that's why.

The elite rich folks though think nothing of being able to hang out with guys like Nugent and fire weapons. They just don't want common folks having weapons. Like the class system in England. The lower classes are kept from owning firearms, the upper classes had them for hunting, etc. This was before the bans in Britain.

That's the same reason they were banned in Japan centuries ago. The ruling Samurais did not want their subjects armed.

I think this is the mentality movie stars and rock stars, some athletes have. It's ok for them to have them, not for you and me.

Mizzle187
January 4, 2006, 11:50 PM
After reading that list I cant watch cable, use a credit card, eat, wear cloths, get drunk, have insurance on a car, or whipe my a** ! Damn! There are alot of companies on that list that I give my money to for services and I wouldnt have anytime to shoot my guns if I tried to keep up with who is against what. Like someone said earlier I will personally boycott anti-gun charities but the rest Im gonna have to deal with for now for the most part!

Trainman
January 4, 2006, 11:54 PM
Who cares anymore?
Okay...Sounds good to me. Voting with your wallet is really the only effective tool that consumers have.
I hate it when 'entertainers' think that by virtue of their audience appeal they suddenly have the expertise or knowledge that everyone wants to hear their opinion and hangs on their every word.
Like Laura Ingram said I wish they would just "Shut up and sing"!

</rant off>

jsalcedo
January 5, 2006, 12:36 AM
"Janie's got a gun" sounds very much to me like an anti-gun song. Maybe that's why.

The song is about a young woman shooting her molesting father.

I haven't examined the lyrics but I think its more about that than anything else.

NineseveN
January 5, 2006, 01:43 AM

I haven't examined the lyrics but I think its more about that than anything else.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Mizzle187
January 5, 2006, 01:44 AM

That is exactly what the song is about. The onyl reason I know they(A-Smith) are or were as of a month ago, pro-gun, is becuase of that S&W show. Custom made PC's! Not bad!c:)

Henry Bowman
January 5, 2006, 02:04 PM
Why would the ABA be anti-gun? Isn't that like 90% of their business Because the leadership of the ABA is overwelmingly leftist.

mec
January 5, 2006, 02:17 PM
The lists of anti-gun organizations that come out from time to time are extremely LONG. I wouldn't be surprised if they have gotten shorter in recent years as some of them have learned that there is a negative impact on their income.

orionengnr
January 5, 2006, 05:42 PM
Quote--
"If you want to personally "boycott" or maintain a black-list of every single person, organization, company or business that at one time or another has in any way, shape or form indicated even a mildly anti-gun political stance -- I submit that you'd better be prepared to: spend all your free time reseaching companies' and entertainers' politics, quit wearing Levi's, stop shopping at Safeway, quit drinking any beer except that swill Budweiser, restrict your TV viewing to re-runs of Magnum, P.I., stop going to any movies at the cinema whatsoever, cancel your Blockbuster membership and develop a fondness for country music ..."

Let's see--
No more Levis, check (years ago)
Safeway, hmmm, gotta look into that--we don't have Safeway as such but I think Tom Thumb or Kroger might be affiliated..
Budweiser, check (years ago)
TV-NASCAR (sponsored by Remington and Bass Pro Shops) check!
No movies since Forrest Gump, check, and for all the right reasons
Blockbuster--see no movies above, check!
Country music, check!

CAS700850
January 9, 2006, 01:12 PM

Perhaps it is in the ear of the listener. I personally listened to this song dozens of times (it inspired a short story I wrote for a creative writing class back in my undergrad days), and it sounds like they aren't really faulting her for what she did. If I recall, even the cops in the video were kind to Janie when they caught up with her.

eldomatic
January 9, 2006, 03:25 PM
When Aerosmith is here in town (Twin Cities, Minnesota) they have been known to shoot at Armored Fire (now Bill's North) gun range.

There used to be autographed photos on the wall of Steven Tyler and Joe Perry shooting some of Armored Fire's full-auto weapons.

Also, Ted Nugent writes in his book "God, Guns and Rock 'n Roll" about shooting regularly with Tyler & Perry.

Yep, Aerosmith are gunnies.

ChickenHawk
January 9, 2006, 04:00 PM
Hmmm, I stay away from businesses which are truly anti-gun, but this list seems pretty biased to me.

I noticed in the list:
Student Pledge Against Gun Violence - http://www.pledge.org

but I went to their web site and the pledge they try to get students to 'pledge' to is:

I will never bring a gun to school;

I will never use a gun to settle a personal problem or dispute;

I will use my influence with my friends to keep them from using guns to settle disputes.

My individual choices and actions, when multiplied by those of young people throughout the country, will make a difference. Together, by honoring this pledge, we can reverse the violence and grow up in safety.
Sounds just like the stuff they teach in the Texas CHL course, and I wish every student in our public schools would pledge to it!

I guess it's the nature of organizations (and lists) to stretch things a bit to illustrate their point.

Just my $.02

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

mrmeval
January 9, 2006, 04:37 PM
There are several anti-ccw gun stores here if "No Loaded Weapons" is to be considered 'anti'.

Should they be listed?

Here's a website that may help.

http://www.anticcw.com/

JT

Versifier
January 9, 2006, 04:39 PM
Two things to consider about Aerosmith. First they all grew up in the greater Boston area (the People's Republic of Massachusetts :barf: ). Me, too, a birth defect, you get over it. :rolleyes: Second, even though it is enemy territory insofar as our civil rights are concerned, there are lots of us from the same background who have NEVER succumbed to the KennedyKerryKrap :cuss: bandwagon, and many of us who are lucky enough to have escaped to other states where the Second Amendment is still alive and well. ;)

mrmeval
January 9, 2006, 04:48 PM
Stopped buying Ruger forever, new, used, nill. Feel the Rage.

Stopped buying S&W till Americans owned it again and I'll *never* buy one made when the brits owned it, new, used, nil.

I don't buy Levis. Not real fond of Safeway. No one I respect drinks chink beer. I avoid most of television. Need more info on Block buster. I don't buy any music or movies where the performers have big mouths.

Who cares anymore?

mrmeval
January 9, 2006, 04:50 PM
Actually buying used boosts the value of their new. JDDI

Okay, let's see...

And if you buy used Ruger's and used S&W's it didn't do those companies any good unless you had to buy parts from them, but you can get parts from Numrich.

Old Dog
January 9, 2006, 04:53 PM
While it may be comforting to think of one's favorite band's members or a favorite actor actually enjoying owning guns or shooting ... it must be noted that very, very few celebrities of any stripe ever "come out of the closet" as being gun-owners or shooters, much less ever make public statements regarding the right to keep and bear arms, carry concealed weapons or use firearms in self-defense. Tom Selleck, Chuck Heston, Hank Jr., The Nuge or the pitifully few others excepted.

This is inexecusable, folks.

So you may as well quit crowing about someone like Steve Tyler enjoying the occasional range session, 'cause he's done nothing to promote the cause of RKBA or shooting sports -- since apparently no one other than other gun-people even know that he enjoys guns and shooting!

I gain zero respect for any public figure or celebrity just because they profess to own guns or like shooting, if they do nothing to promote the movement or the shooting sports.

EghtySx
January 9, 2006, 04:54 PM
Who cares anymore?

Cool! Then I don't have to change much :evil: :D

Woodland_Annie
January 10, 2006, 01:31 PM
Personally I stopped caring long ago what celebrities think about anything. Long ago and far away I was a member of an upstart theater troupe that ended up disbanding about a year later. We made the collective decision if we ever became famous to keep our opinions to ourselves because we wanted to be appreciated/hated for what we did, not our political views. And some of us, myself included, had very strong views about many things. But we had grown tired of watching the Academy Awards and every actor using their thank you speech as a soapbox for the cause du jour.

As for the actions that nonprofits and for-profit corporations, along with politicians, take, yup, I care very strongly about that.

BTW one of my favorite scenes in The Kids Are Alright a movie "documentary" about my favorite band, The Who, is when bassist John Entwistle shoots up his gold records with a machine gun.:cool:

Squidward
January 11, 2006, 01:31 AM
Something is not right when a celeb can lend their name and popularity to an anti gun cause and still be allowed to make $$$ starring in a movie where they carry/shoot guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Rifleman black list." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!