Best .38 J Frame commercial SD round AND handload to match it?

PDA

Citadel99
January 4, 2006, 07:46 PM
There's two questions that I hope will have some good and passionate responses. Haven't bought anything yet other than dies. I'd prefer to use W231, though. I"d like to carry a commercial load but would like to be able to practice at an affordable rate and put rounds through my 642 every time I hit the range. I'm open to HP or LSWC and various velocities.

Tell me what you like/think and why!

Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .38 J Frame commercial SD round AND handload to match it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
January 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
Speer Gold Dot 135 JHP +P is the best carry load for the J frame.

Practice with 148 gr. HBWC. 3.7 gr. of 231 is a nice, accurate load.

tbeb
January 4, 2006, 10:34 PM
The .38 special Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. JHP+P is possibly the best ammunition for self defense for a snubby, because it was developed for use in 2" barrels. I also like 125 gr. JHP+P loads such as the Remington Golden Saber, because recoil is moderate (less than the above Speer load). A standard pressure 158 gr. lead semi-wadcutter is never a bad choice because it gives good penetration and recoil is about the same as a 125 gr. JHP+P load.

A Winchester small pistol primer, and 4.3 grs. of Winchester 231 powder behind a 158 gr. lead semi-wadcutter bullet will do about 700 feet per second from a 2" barrel. I once used this load for practice. Now I use 4.0 grains of Winchester 231 powder, because this pretty much duplicates the standard pressure (non +P) 158 gr. lead semi-wadcutter factory load.

The Bushmaster
January 4, 2006, 10:50 PM
for .38 Special...My house load for home defence is 140 grain Remington SJHP over 4.8 grains of W-231. This is a maximum load according to Winchester load data. Work up to it carefully. I also use it in a mod 10 S&W 2" and 4".

My favorite load for these revolvers I can not list here as it is over maximum as listed in modern load manuals...

tbeb
January 5, 2006, 08:15 AM
I want to add that I just bought a 642. I haven't fired it yet. I have reloaded some 148 gr. hard cast lead double end wadcutters. I started with 3.2 grs. of Winchester 231 powder. I also did some with 3.4 grs. of Winchester 231 powder, and some with 3.7 grs. of Winchester 231 powder. I'll shoot them and see if I like any of them. As far as cost, it doesn't get much cheaper than this. I paid about $17 for 500 of these bullets.

gwalchmai
January 5, 2006, 08:45 AM
HERE (http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/ReloadingSupplementalDATA/38s135GD.pdf) is reloading data for Speer's short barrel 135gr Gold Dots. I've made some up with 6.2gr of PowerPistol to try in my Taurus 85.

tbeb
January 5, 2006, 10:08 AM
On another online gun forum, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. JHP+P and the Safestop 148 gr. standard pressure (non +P)were recommended for airweight revolvers. This Safestop standard pressure load uses a 148 gr. plated wadcutter type bullet. Bullet face is cupped and has a sharp edge. Velocity from a 2" barrel is about 720 feet per second. (You can do reloads to match that.) It ain't cheap. 50 rounds of loaded ammo will cost $39.95 plus shipping. 50 bullets will cost you $19.95 plus shipping. I've fired Safestop ammo and it's good stuff. Web site is www.safestop.net

mtnbkr
January 5, 2006, 10:42 AM
I'm carrying the Speer 135gr GD in my Airweight 37. I compared it to the WWB 125gr HP at the range a couple weeks ago. The Speer load was no more accurate than the WWB and recoil was about the same. However, the muzzleflash was much lower in the Speer load.

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .38 J Frame commercial SD round AND handload to match it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!