The Official "Miami Vice: The Movie" THR thread.

PDA

Inline_6
January 4, 2006, 09:07 PM
Okay... over the holidays I saw a preview for the upcoming movie "Miami Vice". Now... I am a product of the 80s and will probably see it for that reason alone, but the previews made it look halfway decent (despite that I don't care for Colin Farrell or Jamie "Tookie-wannabe" Foxx). I have liked much of Michael Mann's work (Heat, especially) so my final opinion will have to wait until I see it.

That said... I have to wonder if they will have Crocket using a Galco shoulder rig and a Bren Ten? Farrell had a slightly different look with a fu-manchu mustache and it was a modern day Ferrari 360 spyder they were driving. I wonder if they will update his ordnance to modern day or if the Bren Ten will rule the box office?

If you enjoyed reading about "The Official "Miami Vice: The Movie" THR thread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rob1035
January 4, 2006, 09:14 PM
I'm actually hopeful for this movie, despite my disagreement with Farrel as Crocket. I think Mann should have chosen two unknowns for the main roles. Still, I have faith...

anyhoo, I bet the firepower will be updated, or at least different.

ReadyontheRight
January 4, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm just curious about the socks. Or lack thereof.

Never saw the TV show.:o

f4t9r
January 4, 2006, 09:20 PM
could be interesting
I check it out because it will have guns and action

Justin
January 4, 2006, 09:27 PM
Inline, I went ahead and changed the title of your thread. Likely this movie will generate some buzz on THR, so may as well have a thread for it.

Inline_6
January 4, 2006, 09:30 PM
Inline, I went ahead and changed the title of your thread. Likely this movie will generate some buzz on THR, so may as well have a thread for it.
:cool: thanks.

GoRon
January 4, 2006, 09:56 PM
When is it due to be released?

Inline_6
January 4, 2006, 09:59 PM
When is it due to be released?
Just says summer 2006. :dunno:

HighVelocity
January 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not feelin' Colin Farrel as Crockett. :scrutiny: I haven't liked a thing he's done so far and I watched Miami Vice like religion in the 80's.
Expect the worst, hope for the best is the way I'm going to approach this one.

TarpleyG
January 4, 2006, 10:10 PM
Farrell as Sonny Crockett? Not so hot on me. Never have liked Farrell. Jamie Foxx on the other hand...despite his support for ol' Tookie he's a phenominal actor--no denying it. Trailer looked promising and I find myself anxious to see the movie. Betcha Crockett carries some sort of S&W autoloader variant and you can rest assured they did away with Tubbs' snubbie too.

Greg

Inline_6
January 4, 2006, 10:17 PM
Farrell as Sonny Crockett? Not so hot on me. Never have liked Farrell. Jamie Foxx on the other hand...despite his support for ol' Tookie he's a phenominal actor--no denying it. Trailer looked promising and I find myself anxious to see the movie. Betcha Crockett carries some sort of S&W autoloader variant and you can rest assured they did away with Tubbs' snubbie too.

Greg
Even on the old TV show Tubbs started hauling around a chopped pump shotgun. :D

Justin
January 4, 2006, 10:23 PM
:cool: thanks.

No problem.

bogie
January 4, 2006, 11:10 PM
Oh gawd... I'm gonna slit my wrists and drown myself in my toilet.

jerkface11
January 4, 2006, 11:42 PM
Further proof that hollywood can't come up with ANY original ideas for movies. How long till they make the A-team movie? Or maybe C.H.I.P.S.

Inline_6
January 4, 2006, 11:48 PM
Further proof that hollywood can't come up with ANY original ideas for movies. How long till they make the A-team movie? Or maybe C.H.I.P.S.
LOL! I heard CHiPs was in the works... "Fez" from that 70s show is favored to play Ponch. :uhoh:

Rob1035
January 5, 2006, 12:07 AM
michael mann's kids have to eat too;)

Its when they start remaking remakes, now that's when I'll get worried. Or anything with Hasselhof

Bruce333
January 5, 2006, 12:13 AM
Further proof that hollywood can't come up with ANY original ideas for movies. How long till they make the A-team movie? Or maybe C.H.I.P.S.They've (FOX) been talking about an A-Team movie for 5 years. All they have is a script.

I don't have a problem with them making old TV shows into movies...It's just entertainment....I'm welcome to not go to anything I'm not interested in seeing

Rob1035
January 5, 2006, 12:19 AM
luckily we have a few creative folks with some nice stuff (Firefly and Serenity come to mind)

McCall911
January 5, 2006, 12:22 AM
Release date for Miami Vice in the U.S.: July 28, '06

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430357/releaseinfo

And here is a link to the official site:

http://www.miamivice.com/main.html

The_Shootist
January 5, 2006, 12:26 AM
I was wondering what Mann's next project would be after Collateral.

I trust him - even with Ferrell in Crockett's role, I figure he'll do a Bang-up job (no pun intended :evil: )

The_Shootist
January 5, 2006, 12:33 AM
...who else would YOU wiseguys have selected as Crockett?

Cool trailer by the way. Doesn't look like its target demographic is exactly a
"date" type movie :evil:

<ie "From the Director of Collateral and Heat">

McCall911
January 5, 2006, 12:43 AM
Crispin Glover as Crockett and Cedric the Entertainer as Tubbs.

:what: :D

Inline_6
January 5, 2006, 12:44 AM

Not really sure... but I have never been a fan of Colin's. As far as I am concerned he owes me $7 for "Phonebooth". :scrutiny:

afasano
January 5, 2006, 01:17 AM
Is there going to be a coconut bra? :cool: :D :eek: :evil: ;)

zerosignal
January 5, 2006, 02:00 AM
Despite the fact that I don't care for Colin Farrell much, he can act when given the right direction. Anyway, there is absolutely no need to worry about the film being bad. Michael Mann has never made a bad film in his life, just look at what he's directed.

Last of the Mohicans
The Insider
Heat
Collateral

Not to mention the fact that he was the original writer for Miami Vice in the 80's.

John G
January 5, 2006, 02:07 AM
"Heat," "Manhunter," and "Collateral" are some great movies. Heat and Collateral are good movies for the firearms handling alone. I'm looking forward to anything by Mann.:cool:

clintpup
January 5, 2006, 03:30 AM
I, for one, like Colin Farrel. However, I believe that Matthew McConaughey would have made a good Crockett.

trickyasafox
January 5, 2006, 03:53 AM
michael mann directed the best shoot out ever in a film in my opinion (end sequence of heat) give the man a gun, and he'll give you a show

Razor
January 5, 2006, 03:59 AM
If it were any director besides Michael Mann, I would of been worried.

But Miami Vice is just about his baby, I'm sure he won't do anything to hurt it. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.

ETA: He also did Thief, which features James Caan and some superb 1911 handling.

No_Brakes23
January 5, 2006, 04:16 AM
However, I believe that Matthew McConaughey would have made a good Crockett. +1, and I think Terrence Howard (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005024/) would make a good Tubbs. But Mann/Foxx make a good combo, so i am sure I will enjoy it.

CAS700850
January 5, 2006, 10:56 AM
Back to the hardware question...Crockett carried what was then cutting edge semi-autos. Sig Sauer 220 in the pilot, Bren Ten early series, followed by the Smith 45's. And, don't forget the Detonics Combat Master as a BUG. And Crockett did carry the snubbie (Smith Bodyguard), with a cutdown shotgun on special occassions.

I hope to see the return of the shotgun for Tubbs. It was sort of a signature for him. As for Crockett, we need a cutting edge auto that will also have a good film presence. Probably stainless (or some bright finish) since it shows better on film. The Smith 4506 isn't exactly a bad choice in terms of appearance on film. Any thoughts. I'm drawing a blank...

steveracer
January 5, 2006, 11:02 AM
Crocketts gun was a tricked out race machine, and tubbs is not carrying a snubby, but IS holding a pump in the trailer.
I actually wrote the production assistant to try and convince him of the Bren Ten.
I got no response, of course.

Inline_6
January 5, 2006, 11:21 AM
Crocketts gun was a tricked out race machine, and tubbs is not carrying a snubby, but IS holding a pump in the trailer.
I actually wrote the production assistant to try and convince him of the Bren Ten.
Is it something like Don Johnson carried on Nash Bridges?? He had a 1911 with a compensator built into the gun. It was in front of the front sight and when in battery blended to look like a solid one-piece slide.

I do think if you are going to be undercover as a drug dealer... having a "cop-like" sidearm will not be a good idea, so a custom piece (even if a bit gawdy) may be the right touch.

jerkface11
January 5, 2006, 12:17 PM
A tricked out baby eagle would be pretty cool for crocket.

NineseveN
January 5, 2006, 12:23 PM

You are my hero.

I'm not feelin this Miami Vice thing, especially with the 2 lead actors (Farrel and Foxx). It's not that I don't like the show or the actors, but they seem to me like Jack Daniels and juggling chainsaws, just not a good mix.

Oldtimer
January 5, 2006, 12:48 PM
The movie versions of TV series RARELY connect with the fans of the original show. I've only seen Colin Farrel in "Hart's War" and "The Recruit", and I'm not sure if he can handle trying to "ressurect" the part of Sonny Crockett....unless Mann can perform miracles. Jamie Foxx as Tubbs? Well, Foxx is a talented actor, but he's not as "flashy" as one would expect.

I fear that the movie will be filled with RAP and HIP-HOP sounds (not "music"), and that the action will be gratuitous violence and unbelievable special effects....probably something like a video game on steroids.

I'll wait until it is released to cable TV!

NineseveN
January 5, 2006, 12:52 PM
The movie versions of TV series RARELY connect with the fans of the original show. I've only seen Colin Farrel in "Hart's War" and "The Recruit", and I'm not sure if he can handle trying to "ressurect" the part of Sonny Crockett....unless Mann can perform miracles. Jamie Foxx as Tubbs? Well, Foxx is a talented actor, but he's not as "flashy" as one would expect.

I fear that the movie will be filled with RAP and HIP-HOP sounds (not "music"), and that the action will be gratuitous violence and unbelievable special effects....probably something like a video game on steroids.

I'll wait until it is released to cable TV!

My bet is that it will either be as good or close to as good as Heat, or suck to the deepest depths of suckdom like SWAT.

Tequila_Sauer
January 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
Casting Crockett would be tough because Don Johnson, for all of his -<a term I find highly amusing, but isn't THR appropriate>-, really made that role his and really personified that kind of cop. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly different direction for the character. Maybe someone like Christian Bale. Same with Tubbs, I'll always see the original Tubbs when I see that character, especially if it's someone like Jamie Foxx who I have never liked. I wouldn't mind Don Cheadle in a part like that. I would go more for quality actors than I would for actors who simply looked like the original cast.

beaucoup ammo
January 5, 2006, 01:34 PM
This was Mann's ticket to fame. The stylized '80's series had me humpin' to get the family and myself home in time to watch it: "Dad, we don't wanna miss the opening!"

Mann's track record has been super duper on the big screen, and I can't help but think he'll treat his baby with the care it deserves..who better than Mann for this project? Hope Hans Zimmer does the sound track. He's still around and doing well.

God, I loved the guns, THE CAR (bought a black 'Vette convertible..closest I could get!) and the cigarette (sp?) speed boats..the whole "Miami" package.

Colin Ferrel poses a concern. I saw "Alexander" on HBO this week, and I swear, if that red feathered, pizza with everything, head gear he wore in the first battle sequence had been any bigger..he'd of listed to the left or right and fallen off the horse (great steed BTW)!!

We'll see..gotta have faith that Mann will be "true to his school" and not let us down. Period piece..cocaine '80's? Or updated? Either way, after 20 years of techno advancement THE GUNS should be listed in the credits! Not a bad idea come to think of it! Why not list the weapons used when the credits roll? I'd much rather know that (as would millions of others) than the prop master's name.

Next time a PRO2 director with clout makes an action flick, he should consider listing the weapons in the credits!

Take Care

beaucoup ammo
January 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
Jan Hammer composed "Miami Vice" theme...

Sorry 'bout that!

Take Care

TonyB
January 5, 2006, 02:24 PM
Call me crazy,but I would've actually liked to see Don Johnson and the original cast..kind of a last days of the old school cops kind of thing.But I'll see this one anyway.

carlrodd
January 5, 2006, 02:37 PM
i just picked up the miami vice 1st season boxed set.....wonderful. i was inspired to go back and play grand theft auto: vice city. isn't there a mini-14 in that game? i truly hope mann dives right back into the eighties and doesn't try to update. ideal casting for the two would be jason alexander and morgan freeman.

CAS700850
January 5, 2006, 03:18 PM
I just saw a poster for the film at a theater during lunch. Judging by the sunglasses, it's updated. Too bad. Crockett should always wear RayBan Wayfarers.

Still unsure on the gun he should carry in this update.

lucky_fool
January 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
Matthew McConaughey and Don Cheadle would have been perfect, but I'll probably go see it anyway. There'd better be at least one MAC-10 in it, though.

Inline_6
January 5, 2006, 05:21 PM
I just did a frame by frame of the trailer and there is one scene where Tubbs is holding a black Sig. Could be a 220, 226 or even a 228/9. Knowing M. Mann... I'd bet it's a 220 in 45ACP.

bill2
January 5, 2006, 07:28 PM
So how many of your are going to rush out and buy a 2 piece white linen suit and some pastel colored t-shirts to go see the movie in? and remember, no socks!

don527
January 5, 2006, 08:44 PM
F430

it was a modern day Ferrari 360 spyder they were driving.

Inline_6
January 5, 2006, 08:54 PM
F430
Yea, I saw that later in the ariel shot (headlight shape). I was going off the in-car footage and forgot the 360 was replaced. :banghead:

Brian41
January 5, 2006, 10:06 PM
I watched miami vice as a kid with my dad... don't remember much other than the car and shooting.... which are good things to have made an influence if you ask me.... I'm actually a big fan of Ferrell, i thought he was great in the recruit, and jaime foxx was good in collateral... and i don't even want to get started on Heat, all i'll say about it is "amazing"

i'll definately be seing this one on opening night.... maybe even buy the original series on DVD and watch it all to get warmed up...

Checkman
January 6, 2006, 01:45 AM
Well while everyone is talking about the Bren Ten and so forth I went and bought a S&W Model 49 which was Tubbs other firearm. Now that was cool.

carebear
January 6, 2006, 01:58 AM
So how many of your are going to rush out and buy a 2 piece white linen suit and some pastel colored t-shirts to go see the movie in? and remember, no socks!

Rush out and buy? I just need to take mine to the dry cleaners and <ahem> tailors. :evil:

"We gonna take you down Calderone!"

modifiedbrowning
January 6, 2006, 02:12 AM
I don't know about the suit, but I am going to start working on my beard stubble.

jason10mm
January 6, 2006, 11:30 AM
michael mann's kids have to eat too;)

Its when they start remaking remakes, now that's when I'll get worried. Or anything with Hasselhof

Heh heh, a remake of "Knight Rider" is in the works, and Hasselhoff is supposed to be in it.

Start worrying!!!

Actually, what with the Transformers, He-man, Miami Vice, A-team, V, The Hitcher, and Knight Rider "viva la 80's" thing going on in Hollywood right now, I can't wait for Misfits of Science, Manimal, Automan, Airwolf, Street Hawk, and Voltron to make come-backs as well!

beaucoup ammo
January 6, 2006, 11:46 AM
A "Knight Rider" made for TV movie was filmed here (San Antonio) in the late '80's or early '90's..I'm in the scene where the explosion takes place in the restaurant at the Tower Of The Americas!

Yea, the possibilities are many and frightening!

Take Care

Inline_6
January 6, 2006, 12:21 PM
Heh heh, a remake of "Knight Rider" is in the works, and Hasselhoff is supposed to be in it.

Start worrying!!!

Actually, what with the Transformers, He-man, Miami Vice, A-team, V, The Hitcher, and Knight Rider "viva la 80's" thing going on in Hollywood right now, I can't wait for Misfits of Science, Manimal, Automan, Airwolf, Street Hawk, and Voltron to make come-backs as well!
You forgot Blue Thunder, Magnum p.i., Simon & Simon, Riptide, and The Fallguy. :D

Matt G
January 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
Colin Farrel is entirely too young a pretty boy to play Crockett. The guy is 29! Worse than that, how's a Dubliner (Ireland) going to play a halfway burnt-out southern redneck? Note that he's about a decade younger than Trudy, in this one.

Fox is not my favorite, but he's a decent actor, and can probably pull it off.

As for guns, I fear that someone will decide that a 4506 is a fair homage to Crockett's carry of the 645 (later seasons). If they don't put him in a Galco shoulder rig, the whole flick's an utter sham.

Some things I want to see for old time's sake:
A helicopter brought down by pistol fire.
Rapidfire out of the cockpit of a speeding cigarette boat.
"Maybe... you won't even flinch..."
Speed reloads during firefights. (Mann's pretty good about this.)
BG's with machine pistols (MACs or MiniUzis-- either way) going down, stitching the sky with gunfire.
Trudy shooting effectively.
Zito and Switek. (I don't see them cast.)
Lt. Castillo being laconic, mystic, effective. (Cast by the cop-like Barry Shabaka Henley, he just doesn't have anything like the same effect that Edward James Olmos did. Olmos made me believe that he could and would do battle with a katana or wakazashi [as he did in one of the coolest {if least likely} episodes they ever aired.].)
B.U.G.'s on everybody.

My wife says I'm going it alone, but I'll bet I can talk my dad into checking out the matinee with me. . . :)

PzGren
January 6, 2006, 12:47 PM
I always loved Miami Vice and was thrilled when I flew down from Chicago to see the same colour carpet at MIA airport in 1985. Now I live in Southern Florida and learned about the movie around November, when HWY 95 was closed at night because they shot the new movie.

It will be damn hard to live up to that classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texfire
January 6, 2006, 02:13 PM
Okay all this talk about Miami Vice is making me want to go out and get the original series. I too remember my heatbeat quickening when that theme by Jan Hammer started up. Of course it might have had something to do with the gorgeous scenery in the opening. :)

Tex

Cosmoline
January 6, 2006, 02:24 PM
Oh, this looks just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong. I'm not saying Don Johnson is the greatest actor in the world, but he was excellent as Crockett. The limits of Colin Farrell's acting ability were thrown into sharp relief in the recent abomination "Alexander."

This bodes ill:

http://www.ljplus.ru/img/kino_express_3/miami-vice.jpg

http://www.insomniacmania.com/news/news_1545_2.jpg

Those images are almost painfully bad.

CAS700850
January 6, 2006, 03:56 PM
Finally got past the firewall and watched the trailer. While I like the song, I'm still holding out hope for some Jan Hammer instrumentals.

Although, I must confess to owning the two soundtracks, as well as the Jan Hammer album featuring the Vice music.

Anyone check out the entry at IMDB, and see the females who are playing Trudy and Gina? Not too bad...

NineseveN
January 6, 2006, 04:18 PM
Oh, this looks just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong. I'm not saying Don Johnson is the greatest actor in the world, but he was excellent as Crockett. The limits of Colin Farrell's acting ability were thrown into sharp relief in the recent abomination "Alexander."

This bodes ill:

http://www.ljplus.ru/img/kino_express_3/miami-vice.jpg

http://www.insomniacmania.com/news/news_1545_2.jpg

Those images are almost painfully bad.

Is it me or does he look like Corey Feldman all of the sudden? That's just aweful. Might still be a good flick though, like others have said, it's hard not to have faith in Mann.

fluffygrrl
January 6, 2006, 04:25 PM
i prefer black shirts with my white suits.

VirgilCaine
January 6, 2006, 04:39 PM
Lt. Castillo being laconic, mystic, effective. (Cast by the cop-like Barry Shabaka Henley, he just doesn't have anything like the same effect that Edward James Olmos did. Olmos made me believe that he could and would do battle with a katana or wakazashi [as he did in one of the coolest {if least likely} episodes they ever aired.].)
B.U.G.'s on everybody. [/list]

So THAT's why there's a katana in Vice City.

beaucoup ammo
January 6, 2006, 04:40 PM
Doing it in real time with Donald Sutherland and Morgan Freeman would trump this crap!

Take Care

Dr.Rob
January 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
I like Michael Mann but oh great leaping lizards why does Colin Farrell have to be in every movie ever made?

I mean seriously Matthew MCaughnahe (however you spell it) would have been a natural choice over Farrell.

Don't get me wrong Colin was great in his debut "Tigerland" but I'm getting a little tired of seeing him in every major Hollywood release. (Bullseye in Daredevil anyone?)

Music was ALWAYS a part of the show... hip, slick contemporary music... expect to hear a lot of hip-hop and latin salsa in this.

The powerboats... yeah I miss the powerboats. The "Miami look"... something you forget watching CSI Miami and The First 48. Maybe it won't be sockless docksiders and linen jackets with the sleeves pushed up... but fashion was a real (if cheeky) part pf the show.

Lt. Castillo? The guy who played Aceveda on The Shield has a similar look to Edward James Olmos (who is in fact badder than everyone else who has ever been on Miami Vice, Gene Simmons included).

Mann does action very well... Foxx is a great actor (with frankly more range than a snub nosed machine pistol) and makes me wonder why he chose to do this film.

The truth will come in the box office.

Until then, I'll be watching re-runs.

As far as the guns of 'Vice... nothing was as obscure as the Bren Ten, mentioned by name in several episodes... with the exception of Hunter's HK P9S target model.

Old Dog
January 6, 2006, 05:59 PM
Dang, Cosmoline ... wish you hadn't posted those images ... it sure looks as though Farrell is not gonna carry off "the look" with the same panache Don Johnson did.

Aside from the question of the guns, I wanna know about the music -- the trailer had rap ... (oh, no!) ... Does no one miss the great images of Crockett and Tubbs speeding through the empty streets at night in the black Ferrari (replica) to Phil Collins' "In the Air?"

And what of the driving beat of Jan Hammer's music? And Henley ... and Frey (great guest turn on the "Smuggler's Blues" episode)?

Did note that Anthony Yerkovich is the executive producer -- as the creator of the series, hopefully this means the whole ambience of M.V. will be preserved ...

'Course, all this talk made me go down and pick up the Season 2 DVDs ...

beaucoup ammo
January 6, 2006, 06:23 PM
Mann will have to preserve the integrity of the series with enough "homage" to the original series to satisfy the Boomers (who were party ANIMALS 20+ years ago)..and yet appeal to the younger demos with music and ambient design that's currently popular.

He has a tight rope that must be traversed just right if it's going to lead to the bank on the other side.

For myself, Farrell is a LOUSY choice. Why? Several reasons.. not the least of which has already been pointed out: He's Over Used. That fact alone can end a career abruptly. Couple that with any number of other actors (McConaghey being my first choice as well) who can bring Crockett back far more believeably than Farrell.

"You can please some of the people all the time, but you can't yada, yada"

Take Care

Cosmoline
January 6, 2006, 07:11 PM
Is it me or does he look like Corey Feldman all of the sudden? That's just aweful. Might still be a good flick though, like others have said, it's hard not to have faith in Mann.

:D :D That's it! I was trying to figure out what he looked like. An aged, puffy Feldman trying to relive his 80's glory days. Either that or some oily Eurotrash tourist who is a big fan of the old show and still tries to dress the part. He almost looks like he's doing an homage to Steve Martin's old "Wild and Crazy Guys" bit

I don't know if Mann was locked in to using him or what, but he looks hideous. Tubbs, OTOH, is looking fine and I'm sure Foxx will do a fantastic job.

Matt G
January 6, 2006, 07:40 PM
While I have major McConaughey backlash, I have to agree that he would have been better cast in the role of a south Florida redneck-turned-cop-playing-slick-drugdealer. (I note in the credits that Farrell has two dialect coaches. :rolleyes: Shoot. Give me 3 months to grow out a mullet, and I'll save y'all a buncha money...)

Truth is, we don't have many decent early-to-mid-thirties American actors for the part that would be believable.

Mann used to be excellent at rounding up interesting talent for his stuff. Dennis Farina (who would have been an excellent Lt. Castillo) was great in "Manhunter" and "Crime Story". Stephen Lang made an interesting foil, kind of a wiseguy. William Peterson owes his start to Mann's stuff.

Why can't he get more new talent like he used to? [/whine]

I, too, am afraid of what "modern" music will infect the movie. Mann was all about stylistic overtone (check out the tinted light effects in "Manhunter"-- blue equals safe.), and I don't think he'll forget that.

Regarding guns-- I predict that you will NOT see Glocks in the main characters' holsters. You will NOT see the able women cops carrying the over-done Desert Eagles in raids.

I note that Mick Gould (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0332452/) is the technical advisor. This is a good thing, as he was the tech advisor in "Heat", and "Ronin." (and, for that matter, "The Long Kiss Goodnight.") Of that list, of course, only "Heat" matters. ;)

Tequila_Sauer
January 6, 2006, 08:11 PM
"I note that Mick Gould is the technical advisor. This is a good thing, as he was the tech advisor in "Heat", and "Ronin." "

I must say, this statement made the thread. Both Ronin and Heat have some of the best gun play sequences.

Rob1035
January 6, 2006, 09:00 PM
Airwolf, if they redo that I will mess myself out of excited. That was my absolute favorite TV growing up (shows how young I am...), that and Magnum PI. If they do magnum, I demand Tom Selleck to still play his old role, anyone else is a sham.

RE: Knight Rider, David H.:
I got the first season of that, and Hasselhoff is on one of the commentaries, and he actually enjoys how ridiculous that show was, and freely admits it. He's actually pretty funny, like a lot of actors who play "serious" rolls that never let them use humor.

NineseveN
January 6, 2006, 10:57 PM
"I note that Mick Gould is the technical advisor. This is a good thing, as he was the tech advisor in "Heat", and "Ronin." "

I must say, this statement made the thread. Both Ronin and Heat have some of the best gun play sequences.

+1

I slightly prefer Ronin movie-wise, and I am not sure exactly why.

kentucky_smith
January 6, 2006, 11:36 PM
Thomas Jane would have been a good choice. Just from the undercover part of Punisher.

carebear
January 6, 2006, 11:40 PM
Remember, Crockett was a jaded Nam vet. Air Cav IIRC.

Colin Farrell doesn't have the gravitas of a haunted soldier.

Inline_6
January 7, 2006, 01:22 PM
Aside from the question of the guns, I wanna know about the music -- the trailer had rap ... (oh, no!) ...
Yes, and no. It is actually a Linkin Park song (a very good one btw) that they re-did with help from Jay-z. So, if I have to listen to crap, then at least it is a joint effort with a band I like. That version isn't that bad IMO, but I hope the entire soundtrack is more well rounded. Only time will tell.

feedthehogs
January 7, 2006, 04:04 PM

Amen brother.

The original show was so full of cheese that I got constapated just watching the first episode.

Those pics of Colin just confirms the fact that Mann must be needing money real bad.

Bruce H
January 7, 2006, 04:12 PM
Stephen Baldwin would make a far better Crockett than Farrel.

Mannlicher
January 7, 2006, 06:00 PM
The first year of Miami Vice was good. The rest was crap. This new version is no better. I would call it "Crap Redux".

swampgator
January 7, 2006, 06:38 PM
The first year of Miami Vice was good. The rest was crap. This new version is no better. I would call it "Crap Redux".

Yeah, but you're jaded anyway.

BTW did you ever hear Harry tell the Bren Ten story?

Karate
January 7, 2006, 09:58 PM
I really do not think that we have any thing to worry about as far a Mann goes doing the film...he is very meticulious abut casting and will NOT make a film if he does not have the cast he wants....Also he is know for his attnetion to detail in every facet of his films...We may even get to see the Transporter briefly after all he was seen at the first of Collateral...he like to do things like that...plus let's remember he created Miami Vice to start with and I am sure it is still near and dear to his heart...I can not see him screwing up his own brain child.

The_Shootist
January 7, 2006, 10:17 PM
...at the beginning of Collateral? Damn! I thought I recognized that guy but couldn't place him. Thats an even cooler touch to an already cool movie! :D

Karate
January 7, 2006, 10:46 PM
I thought that it was a cool touch that he delivered a package to Vincent

for_hire
January 7, 2006, 11:39 PM
That’s right Karate. The Transporter thing is a very nice touch. Michael Mann is very meticulous and thorough in his work. Just watch some of the special features of Heat and Collateral. For Heat Mann used actuall locations of drug lords, hang outs of made men, and reall chop shops. Not only that but the man that trianed them in "weapons" was formerly of the S.A.S if I'm not mistaken. He is very Careful and Realistic when making a film. He puts his actors through rigorous training exercises and other forms of training. For the roll of Vincent in Collateral, Mann made Tom Cruise dress up as a UPS man and blend in with a crowd of people at a restaurant. Mann is a beast when it comes to these types of things. I’m sure he knows what he is doing when casting someone like Ferrell.

I think Ferrell is alright, sure he has made his fair share of crappy movies but all in all he is good. I mean his first American film Tigerland is really good as is some of his Irish films. Ferrel would not have been my first choice but he is not a bad one. Before we are quick to critisize anything about this film lets just watch it first.

ghost squire
January 8, 2006, 04:21 AM
I just did a frame by frame of the trailer and there is one scene where Tubbs is holding a black Sig. Could be a 220, 226 or even a 228/9. Knowing M. Mann... I'd bet it's a 220 in 45ACP.

Yes

YEs

YES

HAPPY HAPPY DANCE HAPPY HAPPY HAPPPY YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

for_hire
January 8, 2006, 05:26 PM
So, I was thinking...

Collin Ferrell is not that bad of a choice. Alexander was pure crap but thats not because of Collin its because it was directed by Oliver Stone. Collins movie Tigerland was a good film about a guy who does not want to go to war but eventually steps up and does his country a service. He played that part very well. SWAT was a decent action flick and Ferrell was alright in that movie. Ferrell was good in Phonebooth but that is just my opinion.

He is going to play a Narc officer in Miami Vice. He (Collin) parties, drinks, smokes, and he is whoremonger..this is perfect for a Vice cop. Im not saying Ferrell is the best actor but he is not that bad of a choice.

As for the music in the Trailer. Mann is also known for experimenting with music for his movies. Take Heat for example.. He used melodies and songs most directors would shy away from but Mann stepped up and delivered.

Im not worried about this movie. Mann is the man and he will deliver.

psyopspec
January 8, 2006, 09:29 PM
...unless Mann can perform miracles.

Michael Mann doesn't believe in God. God believes in Michael Mann.

Oh yea of little faith... surely you know that Mann's tears can cure cancer.

Too bad he doesn't cry.

Inline_6
January 9, 2006, 04:37 PM
Since some of you mentioned the use of a shoulder rig... this pic from the trailer makes it look like he is wearing some sort of stainless gun crossdraw. Of course, this is one small part of the movie so it may be a second gun, or whatever (endless possibilities).

It is hard to discern in the screen capture, but if you watch the trailer it is definitely a handgun.

Cliff47
January 9, 2006, 06:34 PM
I wonder if there is a scene where Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas do a drive by in the blue Caddy convertible in the background. THAT would be the icing on the cake. I also wonder if they plan to use those words from Crockett 'Tubbs, you ever consider a career in Southern law enforcement?'.

MBane666
January 9, 2006, 07:16 PM
RE: Mann doing miracles...

I heard it took thousands and thousands of rounds of .45 hardball through that HK to get Tom Cruise able to pull off that speed-rock alley scene in Collateral. Cruise told one interviewer that Mann was adamant that Cruise had to proficient with live ammo instead of movie blanks.

Back in the IPSC rock and roll days in Florida, I used to hang with some *Vice* guys. I remember a long conversation on the difference between "cover" and "concealment," then, months later, Crockett shoots some guy through a door and explains the difference between cover and concealment. I always appreciated that.

Michael B

mattjoe
January 9, 2006, 11:47 PM
I think Crockett uses a small SVI
It's a very cool gun.

GruntII
January 31, 2006, 02:06 PM

Would have done a 20 years later show. Lt. Castillo is a high mucketty muck who is running for political office on a strong and inovative anti drug and corruption platgform and someone tries to kill him .The old gang unites to protect and hunt the individuals behind it. Crockett is older and has been a sailing bum for the last 20 years running windjamme rlike tours, Tubbs is a deputy Chief, Switek is running the old unit, Trudy and Gina are ranking officers in the department. It would work and it would allow a serious with some humor story line.Plus it wouldn't screw the movie up by breaking the picture of the characters built over the years.

I have way too much time on my hands.

Tory
January 31, 2006, 03:42 PM
Quite the debate/speculation over who's arming the new M.V. movie:

“I wonder if they will update his ordnance to modern day or if the Bren Ten will rule the box office?”

Yes and no, respectively.

and

“Betcha Crockett carries some sort of S&W autoloader variant and you can rest assured they did away with Tubbs' snubbie too.”

No and yes, respectively.

and

“As for Crockett, we need a cutting edge auto that will also have a good film presence.”

He gets one.

“Next time a PRO2 director with clout makes an action flick, he should consider listing the weapons in the credits!”

Certainly for this one, he should!

“I think Crockett uses a small SVI. It's a very cool gun.”

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! ;)

torpid
January 31, 2006, 03:48 PM
We need more movie remakes! :rolleyes:

Edit: Mere minutes after this initial post I found out that they are remaking Rodney Dangerfield's Back to School with Cedric the Entertainer.

(sigh)

CAS700850
January 31, 2006, 04:37 PM
I watched some of the old episodes over the weekend. The one, "Prodigal Son" involved Tubbs finding out he's a father, a standoff where the mother and baby are in a wired car, and him about to be killed. She blows up the car by honking the horn as a warning. But, for those watching closely, the head bad guy grabs the baby and escapes. It was a loose end they never resolved in the series, and I always hoped for a reunion film to address the loose end. Won't happen in the movie, but always wished it would get wrapped up.

And, yes, I recognize that I'm a geek. But, a well armed one. ;)

Manedwolf
March 4, 2006, 11:47 PM
No Jan Hammer synth music. The new soundtrack includes a lot of "talking over old standards" so-called "rap". :barf:

Manedwolf
March 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
>>I wonder if there is a scene where Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas do a drive by in the blue Caddy convertible in the background. THAT would be the icing on the cake. I also wonder if they plan to use those words from Crockett 'Tubbs, you ever consider a career in Southern law enforcement?'.

On Don Johnson's later series, Nash Bridges, which also starred Cheech Marin, there was a tribute episode that brought in Philip Michael Thomas and also Tommy Chong.

The former pairing involved a chase of a speedboat with a car on the road alongside, of course. :D

I always found the latter show interesting, because they filmed the "temporary police" headquarters on a ferryboat called the Eureka, permanently docked in the harbor there, and it's one my father had gone on when he shipped out to Korea back then. He was sure surprised to see it again on the show! :D

Taurus 66
March 5, 2006, 12:37 AM
Another '80s remake! What's wrong with the new? Are constant remakes of "has beens" to say we have no future? We have to dig into the past?? The '90s Brady Bunch movie is just one example. Who in their right mind would want the simplistic 70's Brady Bunch family values shining in the 90's??

Miami Vice was not a good show. I watched episodes here and there, but never got into it. The show was stupid. I believe the it did more to glamorize the cocaine and heroin business than demoralize.

Manedwolf
March 5, 2006, 02:06 PM
Miami Vice was not a good show. I watched episodes here and there, but never got into it. The show was stupid. I believe the it did more to glamorize the cocaine and heroin business than demoralize.

I believe there was one where a balloon of coke a mule had swallowed broke in their stomach and they ODed, dying in the corner of a bleak bathroom. That wasn't exactly glamorous...

GoRon
March 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
I believe there was one where a balloon of coke a mule had swallowed broke in their stomach and they ODed, dying in the corner of a bleak bathroom. That wasn't exactly glamorous...

That was a flight attendent Crockett was dating and her brother set it up so she could buy a car. She died a gruesome death in front of Crockett.

carebear
March 5, 2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, for all the hot women and houses and parties and cars/boats/planes and such, the baddies were almost uniformly not "men of honor" or devilishly attractive. Most looked like jumped up thugs, ill at ease with wealth, cruel selfish and petty and obviously nouveau riche.

The stylish baddys were the white banker/executive types who profited from the trade but tried to keep their hands clean. But they were uniformly shown as morally vacant.

Calderone, that Asian warlord guy, a few others had some class but none were "glamourized".

Mann will put criminals he can respect in his movies (HEAT, Collatarol) but there were few in Vice.

Carl N. Brown
May 24, 2006, 05:04 PM
we need more original movies worthy of being
remade twenty years from now.

Heraclid
May 24, 2006, 07:52 PM
I watched my share of Miami Vice back in the day. This is not going to be much like the old Miami Vice, and I'm fine with that. Just relax and enjoy it for what it is. The largest demographic in the moviegoing public isn't even old enough to remember the original, so you need to update and hit 'em with a cast they're somewhat interested in. You've already got the fans of the original series locked up anyway - they'll go see it for nostalgia if nothing else, all the while totally unrealistically expecting nothing to have changed. I think they're better off having no pretense of trying to be much like the orignal.

That said, I would like to have seen them to bring back Ted Nugent as a drug dealer again. :-)

Now I want an Airwolf movie too. Like that'll ever happen.

torpid
May 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
Now I want an Airwolf movie too. Like that'll ever happen.

Huh?
Look at the current releases- what makes you think that they wouldn't?

Of course they'll dredge a nice stinking Airwolf 2007 up from their inescapable sequel-trawling studio nets (like you want!).

And then they'll make a remake of that remake in 10 years.

:(

Heraclid
May 24, 2006, 09:07 PM
It took them this long (what, 22 years?) just to release the first season of Airwolf on DVD. But heck, the Army axed the Comanche program, so I'd be all for gutting the sensitive stuff and making one of those prototypes the new Airwolf. :-) At least it would be an authentic stealthy, nimble combat helicopter that did exist and not just a Bell 222 with fancy sheet metal.

torpid
May 24, 2006, 09:27 PM
Which will make it to theaters first, the remake of Airwolf or Blue Thunder?
Let's race...

I say we make a unique art film with the demilled Comanche!

Rob1035
May 24, 2006, 09:43 PM
i'm still looking forward to the movie...

Mannlicher
May 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
I was living and working in Miami when they were producing the show there. I managed a restaurant, where most of the cast ate on a regular basis. Michael Mann's nephew worked for me, and through him, I had an intro to the 'stars'.
I will reserve my opinions to myself about the cast members, but golly, it sure was a hoot being even peripherally involved. Those were good times, back then in Miami.

Cosmoline
May 24, 2006, 09:52 PM
In the old day TV shows were often bad ripoffs of films. Now it's the other way around. Heck, a lot of movies are bad ripoffs of comic books. A real argument can be made that almost all big budget movies made today are really pumped up "B" movies. We've just forgotten what the "A" movies are like. Has anything as good as "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" been made in the past thirty years? Not that I can think of.

bdhawk
May 24, 2006, 11:09 PM
i am looking foward to the movie. i am glad they are not going to make a silly slapstick comedy out it it like they did in..'wild wild west', 'i spy' (the best
TV series ever) and 'starsky and hutch'.

i think collin ferrel did a decent job in 's.w.a.t' and that spy training movie (i cannot remember it's name) with al picino. fox is a decent actor, he did win an oscar, if memory serves.

it may be different than the series in some aspects. i see no problem with that. i have faith in michael mann.

Tory
May 24, 2006, 11:52 PM
Has anything as good as "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" been made in the past thirty years? Not that I can think of.

Guess you never saw "Gangs of New York." The Draft Riot scenes themselves are worth it.

Then there's "Gettysburg," "Saving Private Ryan" and "Henry V."

You really need to get out more. :scrutiny:

I'm going to see "Miami Vice" just to check out the trick SVI pistols the good guys are armed with. ;)

RustyShackelford
May 25, 2006, 01:46 AM
If you watched the TV series carefully you'd see that Det SGT James "Sonny" Crockett used a S&W model 4506 .45acp and a Smith 6906 9mm as a second gun(back up) when the TV show ended it's run in 1989. The Bren 10 10mm was only used in the first year and a half. D&D(Dillon&Dixon) went out of business and that's why the producers changed the weapons Sonny used. Tubbs used a .38SPL Smith and Wesson "Bodyguard" 649 for the entire run. He also used a "cut down" .12ga and SIG P-226 9mm.

In the Miami Vice film trailer, I did not see a lot of weapons use. I did see Colin Ferell holding a police shotgun wearing raid gear. I heard the final shoot-out in this film will rival the shooting scenes in Mann's Heat. :cool:

I'd think the new Crockett will carry a Glock .45 or an HK. I think Miami Dade County issues the Glock.

See www.imdb.com and www.MiamiVice.com for more details.

Rusty

Carl N. Brown
May 25, 2006, 11:20 AM
We actually do have a good chance that the gun usage in the
movie version of the TV show "Miami Vice" will be more realistic
than the gun usage in Eyew Bull's movie version of the
videogame "House of the Dead."

I love Big Trouble in Little China in part becaise there was
never a lame sequel.

bdhawk
May 25, 2006, 09:03 PM
i believe it was dornaus and dixon that made the bren ten, not dillon and dixon.

Tory
May 25, 2006, 10:42 PM
I'd think the new Crockett will carry a Glock .45 or an HK.

NO. Strayer Voigt provided the handgun firepower.

NewShooter
May 25, 2006, 11:37 PM
Foxx may need to gain some weight to play Tubbs. He should be able to pull it off though. He's a good actor. There were better choices for Crocket though.

The_Shootist
May 25, 2006, 11:38 PM
The final shootout rivals the bank robbery scene in Heat? If thats true, I like this movie already :evil:

Carl N. Brown
May 26, 2006, 12:25 PM
Great.

Now I have to run by Dad's CDs to see if they have a copy of 'Heat'

Thanks to you guys I have been forced to buy 'Ronin'
'Way of th Gun' etc.

jerkface11
May 26, 2006, 12:39 PM
Just wait till Lucas remakes T.J. Hooker that'll be great!

offthepaper
May 26, 2006, 01:12 PM
quote:
"Despite the fact that I don't care for Colin Farrell much, he can act when given the right direction. Anyway, there is absolutely no need to worry about the film being bad. Michael Mann has never made a bad film in his life, just look at what he's directed.

Last of the Mohicans
The Insider
Heat
Collateral
-------------
Last of the Mohicans.........
Is'nt that the movie where the British actor Pierce Bronson was cast as the indian chief?
More great casting.

Rob1035
May 26, 2006, 01:18 PM
dont think Pierce was anywhere near Last of the Mohicans

Tory
May 26, 2006, 02:22 PM
Is'nt [sic] that the movie where the British actor Pierce Bronson was cast as the indian chief?

Not on THIS planet. :rolleyes:

And I believe Brosnan is IRISH.

Leanwolf
May 26, 2006, 02:55 PM
COSMOLINE - "Has anything as good as "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" been made in the past thirty years?"

Certainly! Wasn't that flick a "buddy buddy" movie?? Given that, aren't you forgetting that recent fantastic "buddy buddy" release, "Brokeback Mountain"?? :)

bdhawk, you're correct. Dornaus & Dixon created the Bren Ten.

L.W.

Razor
May 27, 2006, 02:33 AM
Is'nt that the movie where the British actor Pierce Bronson was cast as the indian chief?

It was Englishman Daniel Day Lewis that starred in The Last of the Mohicans...;)

Brosnan did portray a Canadian that went native in Grey Owl.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128239/

Radagast
May 27, 2006, 01:59 PM
The photo's that Cosmoline has posted make him look like he wants to date Britney Spears. He could play 'K Fed' in the movie of her life. I'll go and see it because of the director, the gun guy and Fox.

TX_RGR
May 27, 2006, 04:27 PM
The thing that always amused me about the old Miami Vice shows is in the last 5 minutes, it was like a Shakespearean tragedy. Everyone gets killed. Except the stars of course. :)

For those of you who were worried about a remake of a remake, that's what this actually is. The original Miami Vice had a two hour movie with the original cast.

Part Deux plus one

Tory
May 27, 2006, 05:17 PM
Quote:

"It was Englishman Daniel Day Lewis that starred in The Last of the Mohicans..."

And he wasn't even Indian, still less a chief.

And you would hardly recognize him as the same man who played Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

GoRon
July 6, 2006, 08:59 AM
Heard a commercial on the radio, think it said opening July 28!

Boom-stick
July 6, 2006, 09:14 AM
"It was Englishman Daniel Day Lewis that starred in The Last of the Mohicans..."

And you would hardly recognize him as the same man who played Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

or the cripple he played in 'My left foot'

Remakes of the "The Fallguy" and "the A-Team" would be fun though,
And if we get a Hasselhoff re-make I want "Baywatch":D

Cosmoline
July 6, 2006, 04:19 PM

Good grief. Haven't you guys read James F. Cooper's leatherstocking tales? They're all public domain now, so there's no excuse. Lewis plays Natty Bumppo, aka HAWKEYE, the original American action hero! He's an anglo orphan who's adopted by the small remaining band of Mohicans.

Tory
July 6, 2006, 04:53 PM
Lewis plays Natty Bumppo, aka HAWKEYE, the original American action hero! He's an anglo orphan who's adopted by the small remaining band of Mohicans.

"Anglo" being the operative word. He did not dress like a Mohican; he dressed like a white, spoke English and fought with the colonial militia. Again, he was not an indian, still less a chief.:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "The Official "Miami Vice: The Movie" THR thread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!