Newbie needs help getting started in Chicago

PDA

Sad_dc
January 5, 2006, 02:25 AM
Ok..well Hi...

Im new here and was wondering what are ALL of the things i need to own a handgun...
Im looking at buying a Glock Or some kind of .22 caliber
but i dont want to walk in to the gun shop and get laughed straight out of there...

So if some one could tell me all the necessary things i need to buy/own a hand-gun...

(also) if some one could tell me what a descent price for eather a glock 26 or one of those .22 Lr's i think there called there .22's that come in like, yellow color...if i find a link i will post..

thanks all.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie needs help getting started in Chicago" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MatthewVanitas
January 5, 2006, 03:05 AM
Greetings, welcome aboard the High Road!

When you mention "necessary things", do you mean legally or logistically?

Legally, it will vary quite a bit depending on your state/city. What state are you living in? Some states have waiting periods, others require a permit from your local law enforcement approving you to own firearms. Some states just call a the NICS hotline to see if you have a warrant on you, and if not you walk out the door with your new gun two minutes later.

Logistically: you need a basic cleaning kit and a manual. There are different kinds of cleaning kits, usually either a strong cord that you thread through the barrel, or a metal rod that you pull through the barrel. For cleaning, you either need a solvent product and a lubricating product (like Hoppes to clean away the old carbon, and Remington Gun Oil to re-lubricate the contact points and protect the finish), or a two-in-one product like Breakfree/CLP (as used in the military). If you have small children or irresponsible adults in the house, you also want some way to keep the gun unuseable by the irresponsible. Ideal is a quick-opening safe (I like V-line's no-battery, no-key, instant access models best http://www.vlineind.com ). Trigger locks are a very bad idea, as most trigger locks allow an idiot to chamber a round, so now you have a loaded gun with a bunch of mechanical junk hanging on the trigger; not cool. A good inexpensive compromise is a cable-lock for a pistol, which feeds up through the magwell and out the ejection port, makes it impossible to do anything with the firearm while the cable is in. If nobody else but you lives in your house, and you're keeping it for defense... let your common sense decide.

So far as what models: not picking on you, but it appears that you're pretty new to shooting. Glock is a popular brand name that makes pistols in a wide variety of calibers, all military/police/defense/competition type pistols. A ".22 LR" is a rifle or handgun which takes the .22 "Long Rifle" cartridge, by any manufacturer and of any type. The .22 caliber is mainly used for shooting targets, training, or small game, though for self defense it's still way better than a knife or baseball bat. The .22LR is desirable for training because it has very little recoil, and costs about 2c per shot, vice 10c per 9mm round, or 15c per .45 round.

I strongly suggest that you either a) take a class on basic pistol usage, so you can learn all about safety, different types of handguns, and basic technique, or b) meet some other members of this forum who live in your area, and see if they're willing to help a newbie learn some basics. You can do this by posting a "Newbie needs help getting started in (your city)" in the Rallying Point forum.

Yes, you could conceivably just buy a pistol and try and teach yourself, but you'll save a lot of money, time, and effort if you start out by getting some training from experienced folks, and there are many experienced folks on this forum. So, take all that into consideration, and keep the questions coming. You can run a search on any topic on THR by clicking on the "Search" button at the top of the forum page. Almost any question you can come up with has been extensively addressed in the past, so always check out the Search engine so that you can get the background before posting a new question. Take much care, -MV

Sunray
January 5, 2006, 03:12 AM
Read as many of the posts here and elsewhere(other forums) as you can. Read as many books on the subject as you can. Public library. Get a copy of Hatcher's Notebook and read it. It's mostly about U.S. military rifles, but there's a great deal of general firearm and shooting information too. It should be required reading for every shooter. The ABC's of Reloading, even though you don't reload yet, is a good source of basic info too.
Go take an NRA firearm safety course. Learn your local laws too.
Any gun shop that would laugh at you for being new isn't a place you'd want to do business anyway. Gun shops generally aren't huge money making operations and any place that doesn't help and encourage new shooters isn't worth your time. It wouldn't be worth my time either.

Sad_dc
January 5, 2006, 06:36 AM
well i was talking about legally what i need to own a pistol...
I live in chicago, IL a few years back i heard something on the news about a ban?? I wasent to much of a good listener but they said somehting about banning guns or something??? yeah im not sure..and im about 80% sure that here you need a permit but im not positive....

Also..your right..I am new to shooting and pistol owning also..I was talking about the glock 26 i think its a 9mm....

where would I take a class on basic pistol usage? i mean is there one here in chicago?

I will post a newbie thread...

and what do you mean by conceivably buy a pistol??

oh also....what kind of paperwork would I need to show IF i do need a permit?

thanks...

Sad_dc
January 5, 2006, 06:41 AM
Hi I live In chicago an im looking to buy a pistol (for target practice) and im not sure about the law's, what I need to own one, or what i need if i do need papers to own it....(Legally)

im looking for something like the G26 9mm
or
A .22 of somesort..(doesent really matter what kind they all look the same to me)

If some one can tell me about the law's here I would be very greatfull...

Mad Chemist
January 5, 2006, 06:47 AM
Check out packing.org. It's a site dedicated to catalouging the various draconian gun law throughout the country.

JH

Scarface
January 5, 2006, 07:55 AM
Hi Sad dc,

Residents of Illinois need a state issued FOI Card, I believe it stands for Firearms Owner Identification Card. It is illegal in ILL to purchase, house or shoot a fiream without one.
I would recommend going to your shooting range and asking what is needed in Chicago and taking a basic firearms course. These courses are frequently offered through the range, since everyone has to begin at some time.

Be Well,

Scarface

Snagglepuss
January 5, 2006, 08:36 AM
Start now by getting a permit to purchase, they usually take a week or two to clear.

Snagglepuss
January 5, 2006, 08:39 AM
I think I mentioned this in another post but appy for a permit to purchase or whatever they call it in Chicago. It usually takes a week of two and will give you time to research other questions on the fourm.

Jubei
January 5, 2006, 08:50 AM
Sad_dc,

Welcome to THR. If you live in the Chicago city-limits, you are most likely SOL for owning a pistol legally. The city of Chicago does have a ban on pistols. Also, Scarface is correct, to own or even look at (handle) a firearm you have to have a FOID card. The easiest way to get one is to go to a local gun store and have them process the paper-work and take your picture for you.

Jubei

Richardson
January 5, 2006, 09:49 AM
Hi I live In chicago an im looking to buy a pistol (for target practice) and im not sure about the law's, what I need to own one, or what i need if i do need papers to own it....(Legally)

im looking for something like the G26 9mm
or
A .22 of somesort..(doesent really matter what kind they all look the same to me)

If some one can tell me about the law's here I would be very greatfull...

Illinois has NO provision for legally carrying a firearm unless hunting or shooting at a range. It's a felony to possess any ammunition or firearms without a currently valid FOID card (Firearms Owner ID - apply to the state police). Chicago requires registration of all firearms, but will not register handguns, so you cannot legally possess a handgun in Chicago. You also can't have an "assault rifle" in Chicago.

Illinois is dead serious about enforcement and applying felony charges. Think twice... .... three times or more, before thinking about owning a gun in Chicago or concealed carry in Illinois.

If you want to only do target shooting, you can possibly buy a handgun in the suburbs and keep it stored outside of Chicago.

ReadyontheRight
January 5, 2006, 11:01 AM
Maybe those in the city of Chicago can chime in here, but if you are not allowed to own a handgun in Chicago, a pistol-caliber carbine might be a good option.

-Hi-Point in 9mm or .40 S&W http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/2005/07/hi-point-9mm-carbine.html

-Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/marlincamp9war.htm

-Beretta CX Storm 9mm http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4_Storm/CX4_storm1.htm

-Marlin 1894 in .357 or .44 magnum http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41009

Best of luck! Keep asking questions!

Above all shoot safely.

armoredman
January 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
Step 1 - Leave Chicago. Rush Street isn't worth staying for.
Step 2 - Move to a free state, Montana is close, similar weather, better without that freezing wind of the Lake.
Step 3 - Enjoy freedom, buying and carrying firearms.

Canuck-IL
January 5, 2006, 11:39 AM
Richardson is correct - you don't even want to drive through Chicago w guns in the car...or Evanston, Oak Park, Morton Grove, or several other Chicagoland suburbs.

To own a gun in IL you need a Firearm Owner's ID - FOID. Get the details on applying for one here http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearms.cfm

Some of the suburban ranges have provisions for locker rental, it's that or a handy relative...no storage of handguns in the city.
/B

Mizzle187
January 5, 2006, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the site! First off read as many posts as you can. I usually learn somehting new in every thread I read. Also the "search" function is really really nice. Like others said go to a gun shop,shooting range,pawn shop, or some type of local Law enforcement office. Chicago is a kick ass city but unfortunatly its not gun friendly at all thanks to you know who! Good luck and dont give up!

scout26
January 5, 2006, 12:13 PM
I live in Wheaton and will glady store any firearms for you. [Eric Idle voice]I promise to clean your guns after I....., no wait I mean I promise to keep your guns in my safe except when I'm shooting them....., ummmm. No I mean they won't leave my safe except to be cleaned after I take them to the range..........after you take them with me to the range for me to shoot. and you clean them ?? Okay ??? [\Eric Idle voice] :neener: :evil: ;)

Yep, no handguns allowed in Chicago (unless you're a criminal or clout heavy democrat/politican.) Got to have a FOID card. (unless you have a an out-of-state ID and then I'd suggest buying out of state as Illinois has both de-facto and de-jure registration of both gun owners and gun purchases. (FOID card for gun owners and the State police does the NICS background checks and refuses to destroy the database.) One Chicago state senator even stated on the floor of the Illinois Senate that gunowners need to be registered just like sex offenders :cuss: Get real familiar with Illinois gun laws by checking out the website the Canuck-IL posted. You'll learn neat things like how to go from being a law-abiding gun-owner, legally transporting you firearm (unloaded, completely enclosed in a case) to being a felon merely by crossing a municipal boundary. :fire: :cuss:

If you buy a handgun expect a visit from Da Mayors CAGE (Chicago Anti-Gun Enforcement, IIRC) unit to make sure that you don't have it in Chicago.

BTW, Welcome to the Criminal Protection State !!! (No CCW, don't even think about it, although you might want to check out 6 seconds to safety the Champaign County Rifle Association at www.gunssavelife.com (http://www.gunssavelife.com))

We need a volunteer for a test case. :evil: :neener:

Sad_dc
January 5, 2006, 08:59 PM
Illinois has NO provision for legally carrying a firearm unless hunting or shooting at a range. It's a felony to possess any ammunition or firearms without a currently valid FOID card (Firearms Owner ID - apply to the state police). Chicago requires registration of all firearms, but will not register handguns, so you cannot legally possess a handgun in Chicago. You also can't have an "assault rifle" in Chicago.

Illinois is dead serious about enforcement and applying felony charges. Think twice... .... three times or more, before thinking about owning a gun in Chicago or concealed carry in Illinois.

If you want to only do target shooting, you can possibly buy a handgun in the suburbs and keep it stored outside of Chicago.

Yea I know A few Stores outside of chicago like gallians sporting goods that sell rifles but im not rerally looking for a rifle...i mean they sell rifles shouldent they sell pistols to?

Also I can think of a few places that I can store the weapon outside of chicago...

now how would I go about applying for it??
i mean you said i cant do it in chicago then i would have to go to the suburbs??

"ReadyontheRight" I highly doubt I can own one of those legally..Isnt that considered a carbine? and werent those banned?

"armoredman" you are so right I was thinking about moving away from this crap city..gang bangers robbing everyone bus prices jacked up, cant even own a gun... :\

Don Gwinn
January 5, 2006, 10:22 PM
1. That's Galyans, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't sell handguns. A lot of department and sports stores sell rifles and shotguns, but handguns. . . not so much. Handguns are less politically correct. You'd be better off going to a real gun shop, preferably with someone you trust and know to be knowledgeable.

2. To apply for a FOID card, you can do one of two things. Either you can just go to this address and download the application, which you fill out and send in to the Illinois State Police along with $5.00 and a passport-sized photo of yourself:*
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/6-181.pdf

OR, you can just go to any gun show or gun store and they'll take your picture and take care of the details. Either way, you're looking at a 2-6 week wait after you send it in--maybe longer. Plan accordingly.
You CAN apply for your FOID in Chicago, you just can't bring a handgun into the city.

3. Carbines are not banned in Cook County, "assault weapons" are. Basically that means what we call here "Evil Black Rifles"--AR15's, AK47's and all the variations thereof, etc. I don't know the details of their assault weapons ban, but the fact that a rifle is short and handy wouldn't necessarily mean it qualifies.

To answer your earlier questions, Glock makes great handguns, but they're not the only thing out there. A Glock 26 is a "Subcompact," which means it's relatively tiny--and that means it's more difficult to learn to shoot it well. A Glock 17 (full size but still 9mm) or a Glock 19 (9mm smaller than the 17 but bigger than the 26) would probably be a better choice, particularly since you can't legally carry a concealed handgun (loaded) in Illinois.

A .22 makes a lot of sense as a way to start out. It'll be cheap to shoot, easy to control, cheap to shoot, a good way to learn, cheap to shoot, teach you the fundamentals, cheap to shoot, lots of fun, cheap to shoot, and lots more fun. That's what I suggest. A Ruger Mark 2 would be inexpensive and all kinds of fun.

ReadyontheRight
January 5, 2006, 10:24 PM
I did a quick look through the rules at packing.org and their links to the Chicago laws and it looks like carbines are OK as long as the barrel is 16" or more and the overall length is 26" or more. You may want to do some checking into the specific guns and magazine capacity banned under the Chicago "assault weapon" nonsense. A Marlin 1894 will likely get you past this - and very fun to shoot. Still need the FOID infringement though.:rolleyes:

WOW -- I am even more amazed than I expected at the Chicago laws. You cannot have AMMO unless you are licensed to have a gun in the caliber of the ammo. You cannot transport a "Laser sight" (without a gun attached) in your car. And, of course, there is a list of "Assault Weapons" that are banned and handguns are banned - unless of course you are one of the priviledged elite.:barf:

www.uhaul.com

Best of luck!

Standing Wolf
January 5, 2006, 10:26 PM
On the proverbial "bright side," since there are no hand guns in Chicago, I'm sure there's virtually no violent crime, either.

Sad_dc
January 5, 2006, 10:41 PM
On the proverbial "bright side," since there are no hand guns in Chicago, I'm sure there's virtually no violent crime, either.

HA! i really hope your kidding...

i wish to purchase a weapon leggaly,
most of the "hard" people or gang members here as young as 16
have had or have access to a weapon...be it pistol or rifle...

I think instead of banning crap here they should find most of these "hard" people and lock em' up for a good time...oh and sell me there weapon :cool:

but yeah theres alot of violence here..you just need to live in the "wrong" "hood"

Sad_dc
January 5, 2006, 10:43 PM
Maybe those in the city of Chicago can chime in here, but if you are not allowed to own a handgun in Chicago, a pistol-caliber carbine might be a good option.

-Hi-Point in 9mm or .40 S&W http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/2005/07/hi-point-9mm-carbine.html

-Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/marlincamp9war.htm

-Beretta CX Storm 9mm http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4_Storm/CX4_storm1.htm

-Marlin 1894 in .357 or .44 magnum http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41009

Best of luck! Keep asking questions!

Above all shoot safely.

WoW!!! that beretta Cx looks very...swat like..
is there a price tag on it?

Standing Wolf
January 6, 2006, 12:37 AM
HA! i really hope your kidding...

Yep. I'm a smidgen acerbic at times. Welcome to the High Road, by the way.

Francisco2
January 6, 2006, 01:36 AM
Here's a quick run down of gun laws in Chicago.

No handguns are allowed unless they were registered before 1982, unless you're LEO, military, or private investigator.

No military style rifles or anything that looks like a sub-machinegun. (This also includes all of Cook County)

No Semiauto shotguns that can hold more that 5 rounds or have a pistol grip.

There is a magazine limit of 12 rounds. SO if you're interested in the CX4 you may luck out with a 40 cal or 45 cal but no 9mm. But there is a law that prohibits the possession of a semiauto rifle that holds more or accepts a magazine that hold more than five rounds. For some reason my Ruger 10/22 is legal and registerable in Chicago. It's better if you get in contact with Gun registration section of the CPD at the main headquarters on 35th and Michigan to be sure on the legality of this part.

No possession of any laser device that can be attached to a firearm within city limits. There is $500 fine and impounding of your vehicle which will run up a lot.

You can only possess ammunition of the caliber or gauge for the firearm you have registered.

Any shotgun (with a barrel length of 18" or greater) or rifle (with a barrel length of 16" or greater) that is bolt-action, pump action, level action, break action, or single shot is legal as long as it is registered with the CPD. Forms are available at the main headquarters. A semi-auto shotgun with a magazine capacity of 5 rounds or less with a standard stock is legal too.

There's some other crap regarding the illegality of switch blade knives, martial arts weapons,studded wristbands, stunguns, paintball guns, and air-operated firearms within the city but you'll find all of these in any flea market.

The state requires that you must have a FOID card in order to touch, possess, purchase, or service any firearm. You can download an appilcation from the IL state police website and do the grunt work yourself, or have one processed for you at any gun store in the state.

Canuck-IL
January 6, 2006, 08:18 AM
And by the way, FOID card issuance seems to be running slow...last 2 I know of required 9 weeks to arrive.
/B

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie needs help getting started in Chicago" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!