Is it time to make a switch? Colt DSII to S&W 649/Ruger SP101?

PDA

emc
January 5, 2006, 04:47 PM
I have a Colt DSII that I purchased around the time that they were discontinued. I love snub-nosed revolvers, but haven't shot this one much due to the world's worst trigger pull. My intention was to ship this to Cylinder & Slide for some thorough rework (action job, round off trigger, install hammer shroud), but I've never gotten around to it. Recently, a friend asked if I wouldn't be better off to go ahead and dispose of the Colt to a collector or Colt enthusiast, from what he has seen with pricing, and simply get a Smith 649 or perhaps a Ruger SP101. He went on to say that the mods that I'm considering would hurt the value over the long haul. Unfortunately, this got the mental wheels rolling :uhoh: (dangerous territory) so I've been reconsidering my original plans.

Any thoughts or feedback on this? I know that holsters and other accessories would be easier to find, and buying a 649 would give me the shrouded hammer that I would have to pay to install on the DSII, and would probably let me get by with less cash outlay than getting all of the gunsmithing done that the Colt would require. The SP101 is an interesting proposition due to its size and durability.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it time to make a switch? Colt DSII to S&W 649/Ruger SP101?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunfan
January 5, 2006, 10:40 PM
You are nuts! I wouldn't trade that DSII fro anything else, at any time or at any place.

Scott

Standing Wolf
January 5, 2006, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't sell it. I might buy another gun and turn the Detective Special II into a safe queenóbut sell it? Not me!

el44vaquero
January 5, 2006, 10:45 PM
keep it as it is and buy the ruger

It's not an unforgivable sin to own more than one snub.

Old Fuff
January 5, 2006, 11:28 PM
Unlike the S&W or Ruger, the DSII has a "V" mainspring, and while the present trigger pull (and I presume you mean the D.A. pull) may not be very good, it can be tuned to be far better then one on a J-frame S&W or Ruger SP101 because they have coil springs. When shooting any snubby accurately the trigger pull may be the most important consideration.

The Colt holds 6 rounds, the others one less...

Over time I have used all of them. The Ruger makes the best Magnum, if that's what you want in a snubby (I don't).

The Colt is the much better overall choice.

Checkman
January 6, 2006, 12:30 AM
I own a Colt DS (mfd. 1974/75) a S&W Model 49 and a Ruger SP101. Like another poster said, there is nothing wrong with owning more then one snubbie. The Colt DS is a great snubbie. It's more compact then a 2" S&W Model 10/64, but it holds six rounds. Plus it's my wife's favorite so I can't get rid of it even if I wanted to.

gunfan
January 6, 2006, 12:57 AM
You are nuts! I wouldn't trade that DSII for anything else, at any time or at any place.

Scott

If I could afford a Colt's Detective Special in .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long) I would hop on it in a hot second! I saw one, NIB for $595.00. I couldn't stop salivating! :o Help! I am a hopeless gun fanatic! (Hence, my forum name, Gunfan). :D

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it time to make a switch? Colt DSII to S&W 649/Ruger SP101?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!