Tell me about IWLA

PDA

fatboyclone
April 8, 2003, 11:26 AM
I have the opportunity to join the local chapter of IWLA ( Fairfax VA). I have never been to the range or even heard much about it. What are your experiences with this organization? do they allow rapid fire on their range? besides the initial community service that is required what else do they ask of their members?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about IWLA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roadrunner
April 8, 2003, 12:28 PM
fatboyclone,
I've been a member of the Fairfax Chapter of the IWLA for several years. From what I understand, it is one of the largest IWLA chapters. I think there are over 2500 members.

You asked about rapid fire. If you mean full auto, no full auto allowed. I can't recall anyone trying to squeeze off a full 20 rd mag as fast as possible. The rifle range can get very busy during the hunting seasons. It can also get crowded during the weekends too.

Volunteer work is always appreciated. I would say most of the membership joined to use the ranges and dosen't help out with the club's conservation and other related work.

stipilot
April 8, 2003, 07:30 PM
It's up to the individual chapter. The York IWLA Chpt. 67 in York, PA is a major USPSA club which hosts pistol and 3 gun matches and this year's Mid-Atlantic Section Championship in addition to regular practic sessions. Aside from one or two #### ####'s who aspire to be the club range nazi's we have to problems shooting fast. The caveat is the pistol team strictly enforces safety on its own.

Steve Smith
April 8, 2003, 11:16 PM
Don't bother going to th Colorado Springs IWLA, unless you like having a drunk as a the range house dude. IWLA are you listening? Frank is a drunk!

J Miller
April 8, 2003, 11:29 PM
Pardon me, but what is IWLA?

gun-fucious
April 8, 2003, 11:48 PM
izaac walton league

nice guys but they like to hide in the woods while the liberals pillage

Jim K
April 8, 2003, 11:57 PM
IWLA is the Izaak Walton League of America. They are primarily fishing, hunting, and conservation oriented, not big on gun issues unless "sporting" arms are threatened. Many chapters have been around a long time and have ranges on land they bought cheap and which are "grandfathered" for noise ordnances, etc.

The IWLA tends to be under the radar of the anti-gun movement, and is considered more politically correct than, say, the NRA. Still, some chapters are active on the gun control issue and as an organization they get more attention from politicians than individuals do.

Jim

moa
April 9, 2003, 03:02 PM
I have belonged to IWLA in Maryland near Washington DC. for quite a few years. We have 100 yard rifle range, 50 yard pistol ranges, skeet range, bow and arrow range and some other facilities including a large chapter house.

Our ranges have about 45-50 "range rules" which include no fully automatic weapons. I think there is a ban on .50 cal. BMG firearms too. Most of these rules are for insurance reasons.

Facility covers about 100 acres and it well kept. They have quite a few activities such as hunting season sight in days, cowboy action shoots, different kinds of other shooting competitions, etc., mostly on week-ends.

When I joined years ago, if you wanted range privileges, you had to attend a orientation that lasted about an hour or so. Then you got a written test which was followed by being given access to various firearms to see what you was familar with. At the time, the reason for all of this was that we where considered "Range Officers" if we passed. I do not know if my Chapter does that anymore. This all gets back to insurance reasons.

So, now I have the run of the ranges and can bring a limited number of guests.

Fee is $100 a year. The only other thing I have contributed to is participate in about 10 range clean-ups.

Only hassle I ever had (other than one a stupid guest and one stupid member) is our former caretaker who personnally did not like me rapid firing a rifle. That old biddy is long gone.

22x9
April 9, 2003, 10:50 PM
FBC,

If you're interested in the Loudoun County Chapter, just PM me. We are not as large as the Fairfax Chapter(~800 vs. ~2500), but just as nice.

Our URL is: www.loudouniwla.org

Cliff
April 10, 2003, 11:58 PM
Moa,
Glad to hear from another Marylander member. What chapter do you belong to? I'm a member of the wildlife achivement chapter in Damascus,a bit of a drive,since I live in the northeastern neck of Prince Georges county,but I enjoy it.

moa
April 11, 2003, 12:54 PM
Cliff, I belong to the Damascus chapter too. Joined about 1987. Did you go through the same range orientation process I described in my earlier post?

I checked out a couple other IWLA chapters before I joined Damascus. Checked out Rockville/Gaithersburg and Potomac chapters. I think facility-wise, Damascus was much better back in 1987.

Rembrandt
April 11, 2003, 07:10 PM
...wow!, lot of Ikes here.....Ames, Iowa Chapter...great ranges and beautiful park. Every chapter is unique. We've got around 750 members, strong shooting programs, and active members...

Indoor/outdoor pistol range
50-100-200 yd rifle range
Trap-Skeet-Sporting Clays
5 acre lake
Beautiful Clubhouse
Archery & 3D courses
Camping
Picnic areas
about 80 acres
$75 per year

Have hosted numerous celebrity shoots and events over the years with many noted dignitaries....G.W. Bush, Charlton Heston, Roger Staubach, Nick Lowery, John Satterwhite, Babe Winkleman, Johnny Morris, Phil Gramm, Kimberly Rhode, and more. Always something nifty going on....

Cliff
April 11, 2003, 08:37 PM
Moa,
My range orientation was a bit different. A lot longer now, no firearm's handling. Everyone who go's through range orientation now are not considered Range Officers,as you stated, I'm sure this is for reasons of insurance. I'm a NRA certified RSO,so when they saw that on my app,I was approached right off. I may be wrong,but it seems like all the Range officers I've met are all NRA qualified RSO's .

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about IWLA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!