Night Sights: your opinion

PDA

Siggunner
January 6, 2006, 04:16 PM
I've been a reader of this bulletin board for quite some time and finally decided to sign up. Now, I come to you for advice. I have recently (after much research and testing out) purchased my first handgun: a Sig p220. For now this weapon is going to be for home defense, but once I get my carry permit it will be carried quite regularly. I have found a place to shoot and once my membership card comes back I will be going very often. The question I have is should I get night sights? I have searched through these forums looking for an answer, but just found posts about what types to get, no real discussion on whether anyone feels it necessary, so I apologize if there has already been a discussion and I missed it. Thanks everyone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night Sights: your opinion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp_fan
January 6, 2006, 05:01 PM
If this will be a gun you anticipate carrying and / or using for defense, then yes, I'd spend the money and invest in good night sights. They do make a difference--at least for me.

--usp_fan

Starter52
January 6, 2006, 05:32 PM
I bought a used S&W 9mm that came equipped with night sights. I never saw any advantage to them.

MarshallDodge
January 6, 2006, 05:54 PM
I personally like night sights because they create contrast in low light conditions. I have them on my Sig P226 and Springfield Champion.

frenchwrench
January 6, 2006, 07:54 PM
All my Glock's have had the plastic sights replaced with steel night sights.Easier to sight and see in low light,and day light.

stevelyn
January 6, 2006, 08:07 PM
For a defensive pistol, they're absolutely worth the money you pay for them.

Lex
January 6, 2006, 08:17 PM
I have TruGlo TFO's (night sight/fiber optic combo's) and love them.

For a bedside gun, get the night sights. If the BG is outlined w/ backlight in the darkness (how many of our homes are pitch-dark??) , I'm guessing you could pinpoint him quite well w/ night sights. Add a nice tactical flashlight (and practice, practice) and you'll feel quite confident.

It's likely the best additional $100+ you'll spend in accessories on your gun.

Then, there's ammo, practice, range time, etc, etc.

Lex in NC

Siggunner
January 6, 2006, 09:01 PM
Thank you all very much for your opinions. I figure it will be a while before I actually get the sights put on my gun (seeing as I spent all my money on the pistol). Also, the way I see it, if I don't practice enough to hit what I can see, well night sights aren't going to help me too much.

Rem700SD
January 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
Night sight are good for your carry weapon, but if you can't see the target, they don't do much good. I'd recommend looking at a weapon light for just a little more money, or a quality flashlight to keep with your gun for HD. if you purchase either one, practice with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night Sights: your opinion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!