NRA leadership salaries?

PDA

waynesan
January 7, 2006, 03:27 AM
Does anybody know how much the yearly salary is for the leadership of the NRA and other gun rights groups? I have been a NRA member for several years and intend to be so for years to come. However, I don't recall ever seeing in any of the literature they often send anything about how much the leadership is paid. Anyone have any info?

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA leadership salaries?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kamicosmos
January 7, 2006, 03:33 AM
I remember seeing a list somewhere, I'll try to find it for you. I think it was either in the magazine, or buried on the site somewhere. Most of them are pretty well 'compensated', as they say. I remember being a bit shocked by LaPierre's salary, but I can't remember the amount right now, and don't want to misquote it.

strambo
January 7, 2006, 04:27 AM
The NRA is a very effective organization that makes good use of it's $$ as evidenced by the results they produce. A mid 6 figure salary for the higher ups is perfectly fine by me. They have the skills to earn it, you get what you pay for. Now, a salary in the millions might make me re-think that. Even so, these guys don't have the added benefits a business CEO gets beyond salary like stock options, dividends etc... Some of the wealthiest men in the world only take a $1 yearly salary from their companies.

PATH
January 7, 2006, 05:44 AM
I don't mind paying as long as they keep protecting my rights!

YellowLab
January 7, 2006, 09:31 AM
Yeah, the NRA stepped up to the plate in 1986 when the FOPA was passed.:rolleyes:

It's also doing a good job getting the 'Sporting Purpose' clause taken out of gun control laws.:rolleyes:

But wait.. it did help get the manufacturers liability bill passed. :)

At least they are protecting *someones* rights...... they ones with the $$$$. :neener:

What gun control law of significance did the NRA get repealed? When has the NRA taken the 2nd amendment to court to preserve its meaning? :confused:

JohnBT
January 7, 2006, 11:08 AM
Welcome. Nice to see a new face joining the discussion.

John
NRA Endowment Member
Member www.vcdl.org

rick_reno
January 7, 2006, 01:57 PM
I don't think you'll find those salaries - I tried years ago to find them and couldn't. If you do - please post them. I doubt they're compensated anywhere near the level of a successful corporate senior manager in a large company, for example – there are no stock options which usually make up the majority of those compensation packages.

The question one really needs to ask is “are they successful”? If they were actively rolling back legislation (such as the previously mentioned FOPA) - I doubt any of us would care what their pay is.

January 7, 2006, 02:50 PM
I don't know, but I would hazard a guess that the top people in what is either the first or second biggest lobbyist groups in the US are doing OK. I would have to think they are in the mid six figures. I don't know if they are making the kind of money a guy in a similar postion for a corporation would be making though.
I am not even sure that it is possible to live in the DC suburbs for less than six figures for a household.

countertop
January 7, 2006, 02:57 PM
LaPierre's salary is usually listed in the review of CEO salaries National Journal puts out every year. From what I recall, it was the upper mid range of what DC trade association executives were making - in the $600k range. By comparison, the heads of other industry groups - chamber of commerce, petroleum industry, utilities, motion picture association, etc are mostly in the $1-2 million a year range plus lots of bonus (based on fundraising) and benefits (airplanes, homes, etc).

My educated guess (as someone who works for a trade association in DC) is La Pierre gets some gosh darn nice benefits along with the salary and a nice expense account and is also eligible for some substantial performance bonuses. Chris Cox is probably paid in the $250 a year category plus bonuses, etc.

It may seem like a lot to the rest of the country, but its not very much for the DC area. For instance, my zip code - in Mclean, VA - has a per capita income of $225k a year. Wish I was making anywhere near that, let alone each member of my family making that. La Pierre lives pretty close by, but I don't know where Cox lives.

progunner1957
January 7, 2006, 03:14 PM
Wayne LaPierre is an attorney, and if I'm not mistakeen, so is Chris Cox. If they are being paid accordingly, it's fine by me.

Talented, intelligent quality attorneys do not come cheap and we NRA members should not expect them to work for a song just because we are paying dues to the NRA.

As with everything else, you get what you pay for.

Coronach
January 7, 2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, the NRA stepped up to the plate in 1986 when the FOPA was passed.

It's also doing a good job getting the 'Sporting Purpose' clause taken out of gun control laws.

But wait.. it did help get the manufacturers liability bill passed.

At least they are protecting *someones* rights...... they ones with the $$$$.One needs to study not just what has happened under their watch, but what would have happened if they were not on watch. Now there is no way to know that with certainty, but I am willing to guess that I would have a pretty empty gunsafe right now without the constant presence of the NRA on the national political stage.What gun control law of significance did the NRA get repealed?The 1994 AWB is pretty significant. Do you think that it would have been allowed to sunset without renewal without the actions of the NRA?When has the NRA taken the 2nd amendment to court to preserve its meaning?New Orleans? You really should wait a few months after such events before you try to make that case. People have longer memories than that.

If you're upset that the NRA has not taken a case to SCOTUS, one must recall that in order to do that the court must grant cert- which they generally speaking do not do on 2nd A cases.

Mike

waynesan
January 8, 2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Those of you who made educated guesses were pretty much in the area I was thinking. I also take the point of veiw that you get what you pay for. While I, like some of you, don't agree with everything the NRA has done ( or not done ) I can only imagine where we would be today had the NRA not been on the frontlines fighting for our rights.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 9, 2006, 02:11 AM
Yeah, the NRA stepped up to the plate in 1986 when the FOPA was passed.:rolleyes:

A common sentiment by those who have no idea what FOPA actually did.

What gun control law of significance did the NRA get repealed?

How many states had shall-issue concealed carry in 1986? How many states have that right now? Who drove the battle in every state legislature?

For that matter, the FOPA law you mentioned repealed a number of gun laws - for example, you can now buy ammo without registration thanks to FOPA. If you transport firearms across state lines, you can thank FOPA for making you immune to the hodgepodge of state laws you might have been subject to before FOPA. If you are an FFL, you can thank FOPA that ATF can no longer conduct an endless number of warrantless inspections on your business. Finally, if you have visited a gun show or sold a firearm privately in the last 20 years, you can thank FOPA for specifically stating that a private citizen selling their collection is "not engaged in the business of selling firearms". Without that, the interpretation of "in the business of selling firearms" would have been left to BATFE under Clinton.

So there are a few laws that have been repealed thanks to the NRA...

When has the NRA taken the 2nd amendment to court to preserve its meaning? :confused:

The NRA has taken cases to court (such as the recent New Orleans case) and filed amicus briefs in several cases they didn't start.

RangerHAAF
January 9, 2006, 10:47 AM
Whatever they're paid, they're worth it. The NRA is the only group with the juice to turn up the heat on politicians on every level that they take seriously. There are a lot of PACS and other groups with more money to throw around but the NRA has both money and the ability to organize voters to toss out anti-gunners from their political offices; the power to deliver the vote is what makes the NRA a fearsome adversary to anti-gun politicians.

What did the Brady's and other gun controllers do for the Democrats? Except to get them thrown out of office. If I were a politician, I wouldn't waste my time with them. In general, their groups have very little money, don't own guns, have never gone hunting and don't want to associate with those of us who are gun owners. They are as toxic and noxious to Dems as Jack Abramoff is to Republicans.

So, whatever the officers are being paid is acceptable to me as a member, as long as they continue to deliver defeats to anti-gunners.

resume-writer
April 27, 2010, 01:18 AM
I just got this newsletter in the mail:

http://www.charitywatch.org/hottopics/Top25.html

kostyanj
April 27, 2010, 01:56 AM
Is he worth ~1.3 Million?

Rmeju
April 27, 2010, 02:18 AM
Normally I don't respond to threads raised from the dead but what the hey, I actually have something to say on this...

When I found out Wayne was making 1.X million bucks, the first thing I thought is "I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of this guy."

The NRA is doing a lot of good things for us, and preventing so much else that I shudder to even think of it. Except for the few congress(wo)men whose political capital comes from fighting the NRA, everyone else is careful to consider the NRA's opinion on a gun issue, and they ALL think twice before crossing us. Who should take credit for that, (ourselves excluded)?

Wayne will go on national news, as our leader, and be the guy who explains why it's ok to have a 50 cal rifle when nobody else out there gets that. And he'll FIGHT to get his point across. He's cool under pressure that would make a lot of us melt. Oh, and he's done a little face melting of his own, in case you didn't see where he called out (I forget who) for faking an "assault rifle" story on the news. After lambasting Wayne, who stood his ground, and vowing to cut him off, the news station listened - and corrected the story the next night.

That, of course, is a little NRA self pat on the back that you can go view on their website, but it happened, and it happend in front of the whole country.
Wayne is a great orator. Wayne does his homework and when Wayne's in the spotlight IT SHOWS. Wayne is the kind of guy that someone, previously oblivious to gun issues, can watch and say "Huh... I never thought of it that way." That's something we need, and something we're desperately short on, if you ask me.

I myself would like to go work for the NRA someday, but that has nothing to do with why I'm ok with whatever he's being paid.

Just my rambling thoughts, in no particular order.

RmeJu

JohnBT
April 27, 2010, 09:30 AM
Is he worth $1.3 million?

You could get somebody for less, certainly. How about...

"The president earns a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 non-taxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment"

And he gets a free house, staff, airplanes, helicopters and good tea times. ;)

So, should the NRA offer the prez the job?

Oh, you want somebody who knows the right people, knows the gun business and has access to politicians too? Okay.

Experienced teachers around D.C. make $80,000 to $100,000. How cheap are you willing to go?

Barbara Ann
April 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have been invited to a private breakfast after the NRA Annual with Wayne and if I get the chance I will see what he may have to say. There will be others there so only time will tell. We are big supporters of the NRA. They may not be perfect, but they are the best we have..... I don't care what he makes, just that he and the staff are there.

jimmyraythomason
April 27, 2010, 11:01 AM
Whatever they're paid, they're worth it. I agree!

Husker_Fan
April 27, 2010, 11:03 AM
For those interested, guidestar.org provides copies of IRS form 990 filed by non-profits. This form lists all individual salaries and expenses. For example, Wayne LaPierre was paid just over $1.25 million in 2008. I won't post the entire document or the rest of the list because that would violate Guidestar's TOS (Wayne's salary is available on other sites).

Registration is free and they have this info for a lot of organizations. It is also a good way to vet an org you are thinking of supporting.

Sam1911
April 27, 2010, 11:05 AM
Some good information here, but lest this zombie thread draw too many flies, let's close it.

If anything changes on this front, we can have a fresh start.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA leadership salaries?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!