springfield mil-spec, can it come from them loaded?

PDA

MJRW
April 8, 2003, 02:48 PM
I don't quite understand how springfield's "loaded" works. Ideally what I want is the look of that SA stainless milspec but with features like beaver tail and so forth and that SA warranty. Can that mil-spec be gotten loaded or super-tuned or what?

If you enjoyed reading about "springfield mil-spec, can it come from them loaded?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MJRW
April 8, 2003, 03:11 PM
Oh, didn't explain why I want the mil-spec: aesthetics. I prefer no front serrations.

10-Ring
April 8, 2003, 03:21 PM
As I understand it, the "Loaded" versions come w/ features over & above the Mil Spec. I guess you could get a Mil Spec & take it to a smith to add on exctly what you want.
Good luck ;)

45auto
April 8, 2003, 03:59 PM
SA will also do any upgrades on a mil-spec, so I assume you could order that way from them through their custom shop.
Be prepared to spend quite a bit more to get the "loaded features" on a mil-spec, compared to buying a "loaded" model from stock.

I also don't like front serrations, but most manufacturers are not flexable in their ordering options, unless you go "custom".

I would also check out private gunsmiths(reputable).

Good luck

Country Boy
April 8, 2003, 04:02 PM
I agree that front serrations are ugly. But my 1911 is a "fighting" handgun, so asthestics is way down on the list. Those front serrations are the one option I wish SA had left out of their "Loaded" models.

OF
April 8, 2003, 04:38 PM
I'm getting real close to my first 1911 purchase and have discovered I have a major allergy to front slide serrations. I actually called Springfield just this morning and was told that it was not possible to get a 'loaded' model made without the forward serrations. Having the custom shop work up a mil-spec would be the only option. I got the same answer from Kimber, also.

Bummer.

- Gabe

MJRW
April 8, 2003, 05:02 PM
Woah, I called them too and got the same answer. I bet they are wondering "what the heck is going on here?"

sanchezero
April 8, 2003, 06:20 PM
Maybe if everyone calls...

It's not too hard to do alot of the work yourself. New beavertails, thumbsafeties, etc are all pretty simple. All you need are a few handtools and the parts.

Hit the gunsmithing forum at www.1911forums.com and find nearly all you need to know. I'm currently tweaking my milspec into a trailerpark racegun :) .

OF
April 9, 2003, 11:11 AM
More info: the Springfield Custom Shop has a 'Loaded' Package they can do on a milspec, but it's $495. Ouch. That means a Springfield Loaded without forward serrations will set you back an even grand as opposed to ~$600 to $650 for the PX9109L parkerized 5" loaded off the rack.

Maybe I don't mind the serrations that much after all.

- Gabe

Matthew_Q
April 9, 2003, 01:03 PM
that's goofy as hell...

I despise the front slide serrations myself. Although they can be handy for checking for loaded chamber. (grab front slide serrations with off hand and open slide 1/4" or so to eyeball it)

Other than that, they bother me. It breaks up the lines of the gun.

I recently got the parked milspec, and I like it lots. I haven't shot it yet, so I don't know if the grip safety will bite, but I don't think it will. My hands are long and somewhat slender, so there's not much meat for the hammer to bite.

The trigger could stand work, as there is a bit of take up before it breaks. That might be one project for it. But I like the external appearance as it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "springfield mil-spec, can it come from them loaded?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!