suggest some gun fiction novels

PDA

kulika
January 7, 2006, 02:02 PM
Alright. Let's have some suggestions on some good reads concerning guns, special forces, espionage, etc. Try to keep the emphasis on guns, gadgets and tactics. Vince Flynn and his Mitch Rapp novels jumps immediately to mind. Please suggest some more.

If you enjoyed reading about "suggest some gun fiction novels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BruceB
January 7, 2006, 02:21 PM
Stephen Hunter's "Point of Impact" is his best IMO, among quite a number of very good "gun books". Go to amazon.com and search on his name for the others.

One of his novels is titled (I think) "Pale Horse Coming", wherein we find thinly-disguised characters such as jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith, Charles Askins and a few others. It's a bit far-fetched, but VERY entertaining even so.

VirgilCaine
January 7, 2006, 03:27 PM
The "Ashes" series, "Survivalist" series and the "Deadlands" series provide some pretty detailed gun action.

CentralTexas
January 7, 2006, 05:06 PM
The Brady's Website? :neener:
CT

My actual answer- "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross, EVERY gun owner and American should read it.

Vitamin G
January 7, 2006, 05:12 PM
maybe more gunpolitical then gun related...

But Civil War 2...

Devonai
January 7, 2006, 05:17 PM
If you like science fiction my book fits the bill, though most of the people doing the shooting are amateurs (relatively speaking). The sequel is coming out in May or June and there's much more action to be found there, if you don't mind your guns, gadgets, and tactics on alien planets.

R-Tex12
January 7, 2006, 06:10 PM
Can't believe I'm the first to mention Unintended Consequences, by THR's John Ross. IMHO, it's "required reading". :)

Fly320s
January 7, 2006, 06:13 PM
pssst, R-Tex...

Look at CentralTexas's post.:neener:

seansean
January 7, 2006, 06:16 PM
The "Dark Tower" series by stephen king is pretty cool....the story revolves around roland, the gunslinger.

Sistema1927
January 7, 2006, 06:20 PM
Just about anything written by Bernard Cornwell set in a time period after the introduction of gunpowder.

The Sharpe series, the Starbuck series, Redcoat, his modern yachting novels, etc. No guns, but the Archer's Tale books are great as well.

ReadyontheRight
January 7, 2006, 06:59 PM
John Ringo - A "Hymm Before Battle" and the rest of the series. Also the Prince Roger series starting with "March Upcountry".

The "Prey Series" by John Sanford - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/143/mass%5Fmarket/103-0190074-6172615

Anything by Stephen Hunter.

Lebben-B
January 7, 2006, 09:17 PM
The original "Executioner" series by Don Pendleton. #1-38 IIRC.

MBane666
January 7, 2006, 09:31 PM
I would be horribly remiss to not plug my OWN novel, also available from Amazon:

ALL NIGHT RADIO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0972575812/qid=1136680095/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-3564278-3213649?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Sex, violence and country music what's left???

Michael B

CZ-100
January 7, 2006, 10:29 PM
Can't believe I'm the first to mention Unintended Consequences, by THR's John Ross. IMHO, it's "required reading". :)

NOPE you were not.. (4th post)but that is OK I will be the third to recommend it. VERY good book.

Also look at Enemies Foreign and Domestic, just finished it yesterday. VERY good also, can not wait the his next book.

Karate
January 7, 2006, 11:35 PM
The original "Executioner" series by Don Pendleton. #1-38 IIRC.

+1 to that

jaimeshawn
January 8, 2006, 12:51 AM
Avoid anything by Sven Hassel - the guy was full of the post-war angst and general sissification that has swept Europe. Avoid Guy Sajer.

Do read Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel. The guy flew a Stuka outfitted for tank busting and killed about 600 tanks and even sunk a destroyer. He flew an ungodly number of combat missions - even kept flying after losing a leg and being officially grounded. Enourmous balls. At the end, when the Americans threatened to turn him over to the Russians he told them "No problem. The Russians will probably want me to teach them how to kill hundreds of tanks." Our guys then thought about it at little more and found a reason not to give him to the Ruskies.

Do read anything about the exploits of Michael Whittman and his Tiger tank crew. This guy would fight Russian attacks to a standstill when outnumbered 10 to 1, 20 to 1, and late in the war 40 to 1. He was killed on the Western Front when he and 5 other Tigers tried to stop 600 Allied tanks. I read a book a couple years ago that was a compilation of his and several other Panzer Leaders diaires and letters.... Speaking of Panzer Leader, I also recommend Heiz Guderian's biography.

Do hunt for a translation of Jurgen Stroop by Moczarski. Jurgen Stroop was the fun-loving guy that 'cleaned' up the Warsaw ghetto. After the war, the allies turned him over to the Soviets, and he was sentenced to death... and while he waiting for execution the chatted with his cell mate Moczarski, a Polish Freedom Fighter that was also sentenced to death by the Ruskies. Interestingly enough, Moczarski had tried to asassinate Jurgen during the war, but couldn't get a clear shot. Not only do you get more background for Jurgen's famous 'report' - but he talked about killing partizans in what became Yugoslavia and about cleaning Jews out of the Ukraine. His discussion on cleaning blood off boots is priceless...

Some of ChickenHawk by Robert Mason is OK. Robert flew a slick (troop transport helicopter) in VN and wrote a book later as a excuse for his drug running. He was always a bit of a screwup which kept him in the back of the pack and probably saved his life... There is an even better book about VN helicopter warfare by a recon pilot that installed one of the first GE miniguns to be used in a little bird scout helicopter that is pretty good. I don't remember the name of the book though...

If you are stictly looking for fiction, my faves would be Bolo by Laumer;The Deathworld Trilogy by Harrison; Guns of the South Turtledove.

BucksDC
January 8, 2006, 01:13 AM
+1 on R-Tex's pic. John Ross, Unintended Consequences is an awesome novel. It is now required reading in our home.

Most of Stephan Hunter's books are really entertaining.

Marcus Wynne's book No Other Option is another that I would highly recommend for fun.

Again, I can't say enough about John Ross and Unintended Consequences. My buddy and I have been buying copies for everyone we know. I am now reading it for the third time.

Drizzt
January 8, 2006, 01:34 AM
Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove, maybe?

kahr40
January 8, 2006, 01:55 AM
Michael Z. Williamson's Freehold, The Weapon, Scope of Justice, Targets of Opportunity.
Anything by John Ringo.
Turtledove's Guns of the South. What can you say about AKs in the Civil War.
F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack novels. Start with The Tomb.
S. M. Stirling, Stephen Hunter, Tom Kratman, John Ross, and Matthew Bracken.
Black Arrow, by Vin Suprynowicz and The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith.
Oh and Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp novels.
That's a start.

VirgilCaine
January 8, 2006, 01:59 AM
The "Dark Tower" series by stephen king is pretty cool....the story revolves around roland, the gunslinger.

Ditto that.

Jim March
January 8, 2006, 05:33 AM
An odd choice and damned hard to find:

"The Man Who Never Missed" by Steve Perry. Very short, but you'll never forget it. Science Fiction but not "very" if that makes any sense...

chopinbloc
January 8, 2006, 06:57 AM
i've been wondering why we don't have a book forum here. anyone else feel like this would be a good idea?

R-Tex12
January 8, 2006, 12:46 PM
pssst, R-Tex...

Look at CentralTexas's post.:neener:

Oops! :o

Jubei
January 8, 2006, 03:12 PM
For an unabashed "get back at Al Qaeda for 9-11" series of books, try the Superhawk series by Mack Maloney. A little far-fetched and very un-pc, but I enjoyed them.

Jubei

Karate
January 8, 2006, 03:46 PM
Stephen A. Camp book "Paid in Ful" is for the gun lover...do a search in the classified section he has it listed there

kulika
January 8, 2006, 06:54 PM
I just remembered another one by Dennis Chalker. He has his Home Team (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/102-9541556-1369730?url=index%3Dblended&field-keywords=dennis+chalker)series.

It is kind of pulpy, but it was a quick and entertaining read. He also gets into the knitty gritty about his weapons and gadgets. Chalker was a founding member of Seal Team Six. He has been there and done that.

mrmeval
January 9, 2006, 12:16 AM
Michael Z. Williamson has a military fiction trilogy out.
http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/index.php
His books are:
Scope of Justice
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060565241/qid=1136776200/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-3357512-8407954?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
Targets of Opportunity
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/006056525X/qid=1136776200/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/104-3357512-8407954?v=glance&s=books
Confirmed Kill
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060565268/qid=1136776200/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-3357512-8407954?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Briefly it's a story about a two man sniper team hunting terrorists.
You can get the books at the book store, at amazon or if you order direct from him he'll sign it.
http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/email.php?PHPSESSID=7c0745b7e421a46db5883795be51c78b

Alright. Let's have some suggestions on some good reads concerning guns, special forces, espionage, etc. Try to keep the emphasis on guns, gadgets and tactics. Vince Flynn and his Mitch Rapp novels jumps immediately to mind. Please suggest some more.

MechAg94
January 9, 2006, 01:01 AM
Gone to Texas and The Vengeance Trail of Josey Whales by Forrest Carter.

I'll second the Bolo books by Keith Laumer and others. There are several short story books and several novels.

Mutineer's Moon by David Weber is an interesting SciFi book and series. The 3rd book gets into some older firearms. Apocalypse Troll is another one by Weber that is a good read.

Not gun related, but Killer by David Weber is pretty good. Story of a hunter in Roman times hunting an alien killer. Most any book by David Weber is good. I don't think he can write a bad action scene.

Also, The Belisarius Series by David Drake is an interesting set of books. Imagine the Byzantine Empire getting access to futuristic knowledge and developing more advanced weapons. Alternate History stuff.

All the Sacket books by Louis L'Amour are real good reads.

The Postman (I forget the author) is a very good read. TEOTWAWKI/SHTF 15 years later. The book is not the movie so don't worry about that.

sm
January 9, 2006, 01:09 AM
Oldies but goodies.

Nelson DeMilles works I enjoy. I like his Characters John Corey, Paul Brenner, and maybe someday I will meet Susan Weber. :D Gotta like a lady that...err..she toted a 1911...yeah that was it.

James Lee Burke - Forget titles, Dave Robicheaux character Toted a 1911 too.

Stephen Coonts- Series of books with Jake Grafton

I've been re-reading DeMille's works. Next up is his Charm School

jason10mm
January 9, 2006, 11:19 AM
Brad Thor's Scott Harvath novels are pretty good. Has some goofiness with 10mm Beretta Storms being FBI HRT issue (I think that was Thor) but otherwise they are pretty good.

There is another guy, Michael Wynn or something, did one about two Delta Force guys stalking each other in St. Louis, really good with plenty of gun name dropping.

I can second the recommendation for "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" and "Unintended Consequences". Even if you are not a tin foil hat government conspiracy guy (:neener: ) UC has TONS of good stuff about the history of firearms in America. Besides, by the time you are done reading it, you WILL be a tin foil hat wearing gov conspiracy guy ;)

ReadyontheRight
January 9, 2006, 12:11 PM
I've been re-reading DeMille's works. Next up is his Charm School

I love that book -- mostly because I love the image of the kid driving a Trans Am to Moscow during the Cold War.:D

..."Drive safely," she replied, adding, "Be cautious, Mr. Fisher."

Fisher walked out into the cool air of Smolensk, considering that last cryptic remark. He took a deep breath and approached a crowd of people surrounding his car. He sidled through the throng. "Excuse me, folks. . . ." He unlocked the door of his metallic blue Pontiac Trans Am, smiled, gave a V-sign, slipped inside the car, andclosed the door. He started the engine and drove slowly through the parting crowd. "Da svedahnya, Smolenskers."

He proceeded slowly through the center of Smolensk, referring to the map on the seat beside him. Within ten minutes he was back on the Minsk-Moscow highway, heading east toward the Soviet capitol. He saw farm vehicles, trucks, and buses but not a single automobile. It was a windy day, with grey clouds scudding past a weak sun.

Fisher saw that the farther east he drove, the more advanced the autumn became. In contrast to the bustling agricultural activity he'd seen in East Germany and Poland at the same latitudes, the wheat here had been harvested on both sides of the highway, and the occasional fruit orchards were bare. Greg Fisher thought about things as the landscape rolled by. The restrictions and procedures were not only annoying, he concluded, but a little scary. Yet, he'd been treated well by the Soviet citizens he'd met. He'd written home on a postcard to his parents, "Ironically this is one of the last places where they still like Americans." And he rather liked them and liked how his car literally stopped traffic and turned heads wherever he went.

The Trans Am had Connecticut plates, had cast aluminum wheels, a rear deck spoiler, and custom pin-striping; the quintessential American muscle car, and he thought that nothing like it had ever been seen on the road to Moscow....

VirgilCaine
January 9, 2006, 12:15 PM
Not gun related, but Killer by David Weber is pretty good. Story of a hunter in Roman times hunting an alien killer. Most any book by David Weber is good. I don't think he can write a bad action scene.

Cool.

kahr40
January 14, 2006, 02:36 AM
Not gun related, but Killer by David Weber is pretty good.
David Drake wrote Killer. The Postman is by David Brin. The Belasarius books were plotted by Drake and written by Eric Flint. All are very good. If you like Flint look up 1632 where a bit of West Virginia is transported to Germany during the Hundred Years War and interesting things ensue.

Razor
January 14, 2006, 03:54 AM
Baen Books has a pretty good online library that has quite a few of their titles available for free download.

http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

Kevlarman
January 14, 2006, 04:20 AM
How can anyone forget the Mack Bolan novels?
It's like "reading" one of those over the top 80s action flicks!

crebralfix
January 14, 2006, 03:20 PM
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse

It's really a tutorial in story form. I liked it.

If you enjoyed reading about "suggest some gun fiction novels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!