Terrorism... the new threat.

PDA

DigitalWarrior
January 7, 2006, 05:28 PM
I hear too dadgum much about new enemies and their new methods call for new strategies and interpretations of rights.

I have begun yelling "Remember Remember the fifth of November" at people who talk about the new threats we face. This of course is in reference to the gunpowder plot that was almost 200 years old when the USA was founded.

So what is the oldest terrorist act you can think of?

If you enjoyed reading about "Terrorism... the new threat." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fjolnirsson
January 7, 2006, 05:31 PM
So what is the oldest terrorist act you can think of?

Viking raids...

Chipperman
January 7, 2006, 05:42 PM
The plagues of Egypt.

Kurush
January 7, 2006, 06:38 PM
Um depends on how you define it. There are plenty of examples from antiquity of mass murder being used to intimidate other populations, for example the Third Punic War or Attila the Hun's destruction of Aquileia, but those fall more under the rubric of war crimes.

The oldest use of intimidation tactics similar to moden terrorism I can think of would have to be the Hashshashin (assassins) of ca. 13th century Persia. But, the assassins targeted specific political figures and were careful to avoid civilian casualties, so the fit isn't perfect. Ironically the primary victim of the assassins' terror campaign was Sunni muslims.

Skofnung
January 7, 2006, 06:57 PM
How about when the first man or group of men suprise-raided a village and killed women and children?

It's as old as man. New Kind of War my foot.

Alex45ACP
January 7, 2006, 07:02 PM
The coming totalitarian police state is exponentially more dangerous than any terrorist.

georgeduz
January 7, 2006, 07:05 PM
Alex45ACP you must be talking about nj.

shortydog
January 7, 2006, 07:21 PM
The coming totalitarian police state is exponentially more dangerous than any terrorist.

+1

Standing Wolf
January 7, 2006, 09:43 PM
Totalitarians always seem to feel they need excuses to deprive the commoners of additional rights. I have to wonder why they bother.

Manedwolf
January 7, 2006, 09:48 PM
"Terrorism" has existed since one tribe got the idea to sneak into another tribe's camp with hunters armed with thighbone clubs and wipe out the women and children while the other tribe's hunters were away. Homo Sapiens wiped out Neanderthal populations, there's plenty of fossil evidence of slaughters.

It's nothing new. And you can't have a "war on terrorism", because it's an IDEA...how do you win a war against a nebulous, indefineable idea?

You can have a war on the "root causes of terrorism", but that often requires too much self-examination into the bad policy decisions that helped enable extremist groups in the first place, that turned them from nuts with ideas into armed forces that can and do blow up things.

If you enjoyed reading about "Terrorism... the new threat." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!