Should I safe queen a S&W 19-3

PDA

axeman_g
January 7, 2006, 05:40 PM
All,
I picked up a S&W 19-3 4" LNIB, matching box with wrapper, tools etc etc. The gun does not appeaer to have been fired and was pristine. I say LNIB because I am second owner through a gunstore and can not vouch for all conditions.

That being said, a buddy said I should safe queen it an get myself a used 13 to shoot. I say, this one was cheaper then a new 686, so why not shoot it and use it.

What do you all think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I safe queen a S&W 19-3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
January 7, 2006, 06:26 PM
Guns cry if they don't get shot, and are stuck away in a dark corner somewhere.

If they cry, they get rusty, and fall to pieces.

You wouldn't do that to a gun, would you?

:evil: :neener:

Shoot dat ting! :D

hoek48
January 7, 2006, 08:07 PM
I had the same problem with a 19-2. I had to take it to the range and be reminded how well the M19 handles. My .02 is shoot it occasionally, since guns were made to shoot. Just don't abuse it by using it as a CCW. I would take my 19-2 out every other week and wipe it down until I finally decided to go aginst my shooting buddies recomendations and shot it. I do not mind taking it to the range after the first cylinder full and I think it is still worth the nice price I paid for it.

axeman_g
January 7, 2006, 08:12 PM
Preacher,
You are always full of wise thoughts and compassion. I think your right, its not like people are screaming to buy this gun, and you know... a well used, 100yr old SAA brings about the same amount of money as a slightly used 100 yr old SAA.

jeff-10
January 7, 2006, 10:42 PM
There are a lot of Model 19's out there. I am willing to bet the reason they aren't making them anymore is that the market is so saturated they can't sell new ones. The gun is far from being a collector's item, so shoot away. A 4" 19 wasn't made to be a safe queen.

MountainPeak
January 7, 2006, 10:55 PM
Personal opinion: Shoot the heck out of it, but don't throw it under the seat uncased!! ;)

depicts
January 8, 2006, 12:44 AM
I got a Model 19-4 4" blue P/R with Pachmayer grips this week. Haven't fired it yet, but it fits my hand so nice, and the trigger is so sweet that it would be a major gun sin if I didn't fire it...a lot!:)

I paid less than 300 bucks for it in great shape, and I'm sure my heirs will get close to that when they sell it, hopefully lots of years from now when it has appreciated a bit:)

bpisler
January 8, 2006, 01:40 AM
If it was mine i'll shoot the heck out of it,but
i would take excellent care of it.

HSMITH
January 8, 2006, 09:14 AM
Since I already have some of those I would put it up. I would at least save it until one of the shooters I have needs a trip to the doctor, and probably keep it put up until my 'golden years'.

BillinNH
January 8, 2006, 11:19 AM
I have always felt that a beatiful gun (or car, motorcycle, what have you) is meant to be used, not just admired. It's a shame not to shoot it. It would be like marrying someone beautiful and not sleeping with her because she was too gorgeous.

I'll probably get nailed for that analogy, but you know what I mean. I have a model 19-5 2 1/2 " snubbie in great condition and I shoot it whenever I get the chance.

Bill

Hutch
January 9, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'll go against the flow. I prefer to treasure the blued revolvers I own, and carry and/or shoot the stainless ones. I've been lucky enough to kinda double up on these, in that I have a niiiiiiice 25-2, AND a 625, a pre-19, and a 66, etc. Flawless, completely packaged M19's are scarce. Shooter 19's or 66's are plentiful, and not prohibitively expensive. Your heirs will thank you.

wanderinwalker
January 9, 2006, 11:51 PM
I vote shoot it, but then again, I am a shooter and not a collector, so my vote might not count for much.

Something like your 19 I would fire but it would get treated a little nicer than my other firearms. No sandpaper smoothing of polymer edges, buffing, painting, taping and general creature-fitting the way my Glock and AR-15 have "suffered."

Actually, I keep thinking of taking a Dremel to my 6" 629-1 to remove a couple of rough edges. And I am not far from pitching the hard nylon Hogues that are on it for a set of soft Hogue Monogrips. This revolver was picked up second hand, LNIB with what was more than likely less than a box of ammo and probably no rounds fired through it. 1400+ rounds of .44 Magnum later (go easy on me, I've only had it for a year! ;) ) and it is just now showing some firing wear like erosion and flame cutting.

So, I vote shoot the thing, but see above comments for frame of reference. :rolleyes:

Cosmoline
January 9, 2006, 11:53 PM
Unless it's engraved with ivory grips, I say shoot it. It's too fine a shooter to leave in some hole.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I safe queen a S&W 19-3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!