Bushmaster DCM Competition Rifle?

PDA

AFhack
January 7, 2006, 09:37 PM
I'm thinking about buying one. Has anyone here had any experience with them? Thoughts?

I'm planning on using it mainly as a competition rifle. Maybe a small amount of varmint hunting thrown in.

Thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster DCM Competition Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USMCRotrHed
January 7, 2006, 09:52 PM
I was looking at that one too. But look at the Fulton Armory FAR-15 Mirage. It looks like just as good a rifle with more tricks, for about $200 or more less.

If anyone has any other thoughts, please guide me in the right direction.

Detritus
January 8, 2006, 03:05 AM
But look at the Fulton Armory FAR-15 Mirage.

please serch for the terms fulton armory and user name Steve smith.

Fulton is on the "not in my lifetime" list of the majority of the High Power shooters i've had the pleasure of speaking with. not for lack of quality but for Clint McKee's business ethics.

one of the gentlemen i am hoping to have help from in learning the game (am going to try and get into service rifle this year) has stated that he'll help anyone enter the game with one caveat anyone who buys from fulton, even so much as a screw is on their own.

plus an upper from White oak Armament (one of the most trusted and proven names in the HP comunity, John Holliger is the co-owner) is a full $100-150 cheaper for the same configuration. plain muzzle non-pinned rear sight is $695 from WOA, $799.99 from fulton.

even for a top of the line unit, Kreiger barrel, pinned rear sight, the whole nine yards, only thing missing is if for some strange reason you wanted one with a flashhider (holliger will do this, fulton won't), white oak precision (http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/pricing-products.htm) the custom shop that spawned WOA, will handbuild it for $985, fulton will build a factory lookalike for $1199.95

I think that if i ever get to the point where my shooting can justify a full on top of the SR upper i'll save the $200 and get an upper that's a known winner, but that's just my take on it.

whatever you decide to do, good luck and good shooting.

wanderinwalker
January 8, 2006, 08:54 AM
Detritus's comments echo what I have read and heard from everybody in my experience. The WOA upper combined with a Rock River lower with two-stage Rock River trigger (Holliger can/will tune these up) seems to be the ticket to get a Service Rifle for about $1000 that is capable of winning. The extra goodies on the WOP uppers are just icing.

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be cruel and unusual here, but I do NOT know of many competitors in my area shooting a stock Bushmaster. Most have had the triggers and barrels replaced at least and I know one who had the rear sight pinned. Had a fellow come in at my workplace and talk about rifles and go on and on (and on) about how well the Bushmasters shoot and how everything else is junk. I had to bite my tongue and walk away before I started telling him about things like trigger failures (witnessed on start to double on a Bushy varmint. Glad I wasn't shooting it!).

But whatever you get, practice, practice, practice with it and remain dedicated and you will rise quickly.

Jon Coppenbarger
January 8, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hell they shoot fine. Just expect to pay more and be prepared to have things like the triggers replaced. You might look at the RRA in the same rifle. Everything is about the same but you get a better trigger for usually a better price.
If you get a discount buy the factory rifle but if not it is not much if any price differenc betwen WOA and the others.

They do not have the nick name foolem for nothing.
I remember everything that happened to cause them to be disliked as I was around when it went south. Trust me it was all self induced. I think you could get a monkey to build a shootible ar15 so why pay twice what something is worth. You should of seen the prices before the debate happened like 4 years ago.

Detritus
January 8, 2006, 05:10 PM
You should of seen the prices before the debate happened like 4 years ago.

I came across them right after they dropped the prices just that tiny bit, from Clint getting ripped apart so bad on, what was it shooters.net??

even after those changes the prices for anything "competition" like made bushy look like a discount shop. and they were still touting the "pillars of hercules" rear sight pin design as their invention.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster DCM Competition Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!