Who got you into shooting?

PDA

sonny
January 2, 2003, 05:57 PM
Grandpa.....then Pops.....now Me.....Not very common in NYC but I was taught to respect firearms at a early age.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who got you into shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yohan
January 2, 2003, 06:01 PM
My facination (hope I spelled that properly) with guns began with a video game known as Goldeneye 64, and then once my dad got a CHL, and purchased a pistol (Walther PPK/S), I was attracted to guns like a fly to a fly magnet (if such thing does exist). First thing I do when I turn 21 will be to buy myself a nice hand gun. :evil: :neener:

motorep
January 2, 2003, 06:04 PM
My mother and father were both Marines, think I had a choice?

Knives
January 2, 2003, 06:06 PM
When I was 11 my dad took me to an indoor range and got me started on an air pistol. I've been hooked ever since. ^_^

Mastrogiacomo
January 2, 2003, 06:07 PM
I watch too many Hong Kong ficks, and being Sicilian -- I was naturally curious.

tomkatz
January 2, 2003, 06:07 PM
my dad, very thankful to him for that, and boy could he shoot, I saw him make some amazing pistol shots at rabbits where we used to hunt in the san jaun islands. It wasn't until awhile later that I found out people used shotguns for pheasants and rabbits, he taught me to make headshots with 22 rifles....tom

TallPine
January 2, 2003, 06:11 PM
Bill Clinton :eek:

(at least he's the one that got me into it seriously, before that it was just kind of take it or leave it)

El Tejon
January 2, 2003, 06:12 PM
Family affair.

Initially? Greatgrandfather Russ (shot CBs out of a .22 on his farm), nutured along by Uncle Irvine and my father.

Sven
January 2, 2003, 06:14 PM
Dad (mid-80s).

Oleg (late-90s).

Now I try to get others into the sport. Least I can do.

vulcan
January 2, 2003, 06:14 PM
I guess it was the gun rags in the local barbar shop that my mother took me to as a kid. Some real good gun writers then. It sparked a kids imagination of African safaris, Big game & the guns that hunted them. Knowing the magazines were there took the some of the dread out of going to get a haircut:D

Average Guy
January 2, 2003, 06:16 PM
Must've been Dad. We were a trap and skeet family (I was a casual but decent trapshooter; my brother, the overachiever, was Jr. skeet champeen many times over). And my uncle, whose 9-shot .22 pistol and pump .22 rifle were just sweetness incarnate.

Peetmoss
January 2, 2003, 06:19 PM
My dad at first got me into it when I was knee high to a grasshopper. Then it kinda fell by the wayside until about 6 mounths ago.

Diesle
January 2, 2003, 06:20 PM
We couldnt even have toy guns as kids.

I took it upon myself as an excersise of my rights. Now I just dig shooting.

Diesle

coati
January 2, 2003, 06:20 PM
My parents, who bought me a Crosman 760 (that I still have). Then a friend in high school, who shot with his dad competitively. And in the past few years my wife, who wanted to become proficient and comfortable with handguns.

Now, I want to learn sporting clays, trap, and skeet.

sm
January 2, 2003, 06:21 PM
Grew up when firearms just a part of everyday life. Parents were country folks talked of hunting. down on the farm(s).

I went to NG drill with dad and the Gunny said I could hang out with him while dad did his bit. I knew the 4 rules, I must have been 2nd grade. I wanted to shoot that 1911 my dad's group just finshed with. Gunny picked my brain, figured I was safe, and I shot a Singer Gov't 45. I shot a lot that morning...the feeling never left...memory never fades.

sonny
January 2, 2003, 06:29 PM
Mastrogiacomo,

I too am Sicilian 100%.....4 generations in NYC...I will e-mail you a symbol of sicily that I have if you like ...it is called the TRINACRIA and I am planning on having it engraved on a set of Alumagrips
http://www.alumagrips.com/ for my 1911!

4v50 Gary
January 2, 2003, 06:34 PM
My Uncle Bill got me into guns. My father was actually delighted when his sons took up the sport as he use to be an avid plinker. He hid this from us for years until we wanted guns ourselves. Then the entire family would go shooting.

Returning to my Uncle Bill, I later repaid him when I bought him his first blackpowder rifle for Christmas.

Viking6
January 2, 2003, 06:38 PM
My dad bought me a bb gun when I was about 9 or 10, I don't remember that well. But when we moved out into sorta the country, all the other boys had .410 shotguns, JC Higgins .22s, I think some were bolt action single shots, others were tube-magazined semis. I would go shooting with them. My first time at pistol shooting was a friend's dad's Walther P-38. We use to shoot all the time with never an accident or mishap.

Neal Bloom
January 2, 2003, 06:40 PM
My father gave me a single shot .22 at a tender young age. Still have it.

trapshooter
January 2, 2003, 06:53 PM
My folks.

We always had guns in the house. Grandparents, too. Uncles, etc. Was once the natural order of things, where I grew up.

Owen
January 2, 2003, 06:55 PM
my dad got me started, by getting me involved a a junior rifle team. How deep does it go? I design guns all day for a living, and then spend all ight, and most of my weekends fiddling, practicing, competeing or reading about them.

Huh, i think i just figured out why i don't have a gf.

2dogs
January 2, 2003, 07:02 PM
No one really.

My Grandfather had a rifle (I think his brother, who was in WWII gave it to him; I don't recall exactly what type it was other than it was a bolt action, may have been Italian, and had a long thin bayonet attached) which he kept in a hallway closet; he also had a cheap revolver which he kept in his dresser. As far as I know, he never fired either of them. I was always very impressed as a child when he would let me see or handle them.

For some reason I always gravitated toward stories of war , cowboys, law and order- I think I liked stories having clear cut good guys and bad guys. Of course that also meant being interested in the tools of the trade.

I took up shooting on my own much later in life.

JoeHatley
January 2, 2003, 07:02 PM
No one. I did it all on my own. No adult males around when I grew up. The summer I turned 13, I saved my money from "walking beans" and bought myself a Remington 514. Cost me $28, IIRC.

Note: a 13 year old could buy a gun back then.

Taught myself to shoot and later to hunt.

Joe

45R
January 2, 2003, 07:09 PM
Nobody really got me into shooting. I've always been fascinated by things that go boom when I was a kid.

:p

Jesse H
January 2, 2003, 07:13 PM
Dad had a revolver around the house as home protection but never really went out to the range. Whenever an uncle came to town he'd occasionally get my dad out to the range.

When I became older the uncle started taking me out to the range.

Nowadays I take my dad out to the range.

Mastrogiacomo
January 2, 2003, 07:24 PM
I know all about the TRINACRIA and believe it or not, I've been considering how I could get that engraved on my guns! Unfortunatley, I have two Beretta compacts type M. Not sure if any grips would fit my guns...:confused:

-B-a-M-
January 2, 2003, 07:25 PM
I'd have to say my friends. I would go to their houses and we would have BB Gun fights. This is when i discovered i was very effective as a sniper and with dual CO2 handguns. Now we play paintball because we realized it doesn't hurt quite so bad and people don't care so much when its paint instead of little steel balls. We still have BB Gun fights some and i like it cuz i get to break out my pump rifle and my dualies in my tactical cross drawl holsters. This sedates my dreams of being a SEAL or Recon Marine so that i don't bring it to the firing line and go thru 10 10 round mags in 30 seconds.:D
Now i shoot high power and just saved up to buy my Armalite AR-10

rick458
January 2, 2003, 07:30 PM
But my uncle Harry, did let me shoot a 45 when I was knee high.
then my Buds at work kept me in it and I got my best friend hooked you know after seeing an Final Protective Fire shot at night fire works just don't hold the same appeal to me they once did:rolleyes:

Mastrogiacomo
January 2, 2003, 07:30 PM
My mother was born in Saint Catherine, Sicily. If you get the engravings, let me know how much they cost you. I'd love to find out if they could be made for my Berettas...:D

Butch
January 2, 2003, 07:32 PM
My dad started me , must have been very young because I don't rember a time when I didn't know how to shoot. I do rember my first kill . It was a sparrow sitting on a prickly pear cactus leaf, must hane been about 3 or 4 years old.:uhoh: Gosh that was a long lifetime ago.:D

QB
January 2, 2003, 07:32 PM
No one got me interested. My dad had a cheap little single shot 22 rifle that he bought to take to the farm when he went to check his cattle. I'd tag along just so I could shoot the rifle. It had never been cleaned in 30+ years just as the few other guns (navy issue WWII S&W revolver and an old shotgun) have never been cleaned or maintained. I now have the little rifle in my safe (all cleaned of course) because my mother wanted it out of the house but can't get the S&W revolver away from my mother who "might want it to shoot a snake" .... pleeeeeeeeeze!!!!! I have a feeling my brother who could care less about guns wants it so he can sell it.

Anyway, I've ALWAYS had a fascination with guns and could have a zillion of them if $$ permitted.

I think I bought my first handgun in approximately 1979 but didn't fire a handgun until 1993 (traded an unfired SP101 for a Glock 19 and traded the unfired Glock 19 for a Beretta Centurion).

I don't know what made me go a range in 1993 but I did and from that point on I was HOOKED. I've gone through practically every model Beretta, HK, Glock, numerous 1911s, CZs, etc. but have finally settled down somewhat and don't "churn" guns quite as much as I used to. I hit a couple of the big gunshows throughout the year and know several of the dealers quite well. And I'm having the time of my life.

Even now I only have a few friends that have a passing interest in guns so I usually go to the range by myself (they think I'm obsessed and I guess they are right). I do know several regulars at the range in addition to the staff so I have a great time.

Walosi
January 2, 2003, 07:36 PM
My father, and all our male forebears back to whenever they began. My grandfather bought each son a rifle and revolver on his 13th birthday, and this was supposedly an old tradition in the family - they were expected to be fully proficient by that age, and competent to go armed. Guess I'm just a product of "The Southern Gun Culture" that is so frightening to the liberal asphalt dwellers :what:

Felonious Monk
January 2, 2003, 08:05 PM
Phase I: Dad was an FBI agent, & he carried a snubbie to work every day. He hunted deer once or twice every winter, quail occasionally, too. So the example was there, though he was very silent about work, guns, and everything else.
Bought me a Red Ryder when I was 10 or so, and I was the Grasshopper Assasin for the next couple of summers. :evil:

Phase II: Got a guitar, lost all interest in anything else for 20 years or so. Unexplainably, dad (now retired) is an anti. Maybe it's that dreaded 'Old Timer's Disease' or sumthin! ;) :rolleyes:

Fast Fwd to 2002:
My good friend, Doctor Lindsay, is a collector of guns and all 'round Rennaissance man, and gave me a revolver after I expressed an interest in protecting my rapidly growing family. Not long after that, he took me out to his farm to shoot.
We must have shot a couple thousand rounds that day, through the little snubbie, plus a pair of milsurp CZ's, a Makarov, a couple of Sigs, a 1911, and maybe another couple of things I've since forgotten.

About a week later, the date was September 11, 2002.
Got me out of plinking mode, and much more serious about RKBA.
Sorry for the epic saga. I got carried away.

Moondancer
January 2, 2003, 08:19 PM
Guns in my family were just a tool. Being farmers, my Dad and Granddad would use their .22s or shotguns to kill feral dogs that got into the sheep. None of my family hunted.

I begged and pleaded for a bb gun when I was about 7, IIRC, and got one for Christmas. The one and only time I pointed it at my sister I lost it for a month. Got a .22 Stevens bolt action for Christmas, somewhere around 15th or 16th. Taught myself to shoot rifle with that, then bought an Ithaca 12 gauge when I got old enough.

But it was Skeeter Skelton that did my in for handguns. My very first gun magazine, lo these 31 years ago, had a cover article by Skeeter called "What's right / wrong with snubbies?" Read it and was hooked. I hadda be like Skeeter! And, ya know, I've never owned a snubby yet, but I have never been without a handgun since I got my first one when I was 18. In Michigan, I couldn't buy from a dealer, but my Dad could and then I could buy it from him legally. So we did. Bought a S&W Model 14, K-38 Masterpiece. Boy, I miss that gun.

Nanook
January 2, 2003, 09:03 PM
No one really, I just always loved projectile weapons! My first one other than Daisy type BB guns was a Sheriday Blue Streak. I mentioned in another thread that I had to get an FOID card in 1971 when I bought it. Imagine that.

Anyway, I always loved guns and archery, I'm not sure why since my parents are not into guns at all. My dad was in the tail end of WWII but didn't see combat. Lucky him. He qualified on the Garand and the BAR but didn't have to use them.He likes seeing my Garand, but isn't quite sure about people owning all kinds of weapons. I'm working on him...

Rangerover
January 2, 2003, 09:12 PM
The U.S. Army. :D

Captain Bligh
January 2, 2003, 09:18 PM
Hunting was the thing for men in my family, whether on my mom's side or my dad's side. Most holidays involved a hunt instead of laying around watching football after the turkey , ham, or whatever. I was about 5 yrs. old when I started tailing my Dad around the woods, doing my best to keep up with him. He called me his "dog" since we didn't have a proper hunting hound or pointer. We come to a briar patch and he would stand beside it with his gun at the ready. He'd say, " Boy, get in there and flush out the rabbit." And, away I'd go.

I did that for years until he deemed me old enough to carry a gun in the woods with him. I miss Dad. Our best times were in the woods. He's been dead about 8 years now. I still hunt, not that I'm so wild about it but somehow I feel closer to him in the woods. And, now it's my boys with me. The cycle passes on.

Then, I married into a hunting family. I guess I was destined.

RJ

enfwago
January 2, 2003, 09:18 PM
My uncle started me off, with shooting shotguns and .22 rifles when I was about 5 or 6. Then I went through a time when I didn't shoot for a while. Then my friend in VA got me back into shooting again and I haven't stopped since.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 2, 2003, 09:32 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Indirectly, of course!

Got scared after one really lousy September day. Talked it over with my wife. She said it would be OK, if I trained as hard as I'd trained on my motorcycle.

A little over a year later, I'm still in. After going through what ObL and PRNJ have put me through, I doubt if I'll give up easily. :D

- pdmoderator

Dan Morris
January 2, 2003, 09:44 PM
Guess my family did....bb gun and 22 when I was about 6.......
Serious shoot came from a High Way Patrolman that busted a bunch of us at the midnight drags when I was 17. Guess he thought I had a chance, he taught me combat pistol and bulls eye competetion pistol.
Things graduated to skeet and rifle...been at it ever sence!
Dan
:cool:

cratz2
January 2, 2003, 10:49 PM
Everett Cooper, my Grandmother's brother. Kind of senile, but then couple of wars and working in coal mines will do that to ya...

Over the course of one weekend, 22 Police Positive, 38 something, Colt 1911 (not A1), 22 bolt rifle of some sort and a 58 cal muzzleloader that did literally knock me off my feet.

That last one scared me away for a while but I still really liked how guns worked and fit together and just made sense.

waterdog
January 2, 2003, 11:05 PM
God

He made me a curious little SOB, and mechanically inclined.

waterdog

5ptdeerhunter
January 2, 2003, 11:26 PM
My grandma gave me my first bb gun and my dad gave me my first shotgun. Then JeFF D got me really interested.

PATH
January 2, 2003, 11:37 PM
Me,myself, and I. I got into guns by myself.

Blackhawk
January 2, 2003, 11:55 PM
Self starter.

I got my Dad into shooting.

natedog
January 3, 2003, 12:09 AM
Boy Scouts and The Firing Line

10-Ring
January 3, 2003, 12:27 AM
I got into them in grade school. I had a friend whose dad was either a collector or had an FFL. In either case, his basement was FILLED w/ all sorts of guns...handguns, rifles, shotguns. But, I was really enamoured w/ his Tommygun :evil: I was 22 before I was able to buy my first but my interest is still pretty strong :scrutiny:

Skunkabilly
January 3, 2003, 12:31 AM
Me, but I did get older folks to bring me to the range so they could buy ammo. I had to rent w/ buddies until I turned 21.

redhead
January 3, 2003, 12:57 AM
This may sound strange, but Cary Stayner, the monster who murdered 4 women near Yosemite National Park got me into shooting. I bought my first firearm after those murders happened, thinking that if those women had been armed, they might be alive now. After I got my snub-nosed .38 revolver, I took it to the range to learn to use it. Well, I wasn't very good with it, and it was suggested to me to get a .22 pistol. I did, and it was the beginning of my love of shooting. I now have a variety of caliber pistols and revolvers, and spend a lot of Sunday afternoons at the range. I'm going to have to start reloading - those .45's cost money! :)

JeepDriver
January 3, 2003, 07:09 PM
ME

Dad had a rifle and pistol but never shot them. I was always interested in shooting, My dad didn't see anything wrong with it but never took me shooting. After much begging I got a Marlin 22 bolt action when I was 11 or 12. I got to shoot it all summer at my Grand Parents place. That winter I would read everything gun related and started getting interested in Hunting.

That was 18 or so years ago. The collection has grown since then. :evil:

Mauserlady
January 3, 2003, 07:18 PM
Hubby converted me 2.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier...

HS/LD
January 3, 2003, 07:29 PM
... my sister :o

Yeah thats right I said it was MY SISTER!

You gotta a problem with that!!!??!?!

:)
HS/LD

MiniZ
January 3, 2003, 07:36 PM
My Grandpa.

Ironically my anti-gun mother fueled my obsession. I couldn't even have toy guns as a youth, so when I moved out, I started buying and shooting like a madman.

Schuey2002
January 3, 2003, 07:41 PM
My dad.. :)

echo3mike
January 3, 2003, 07:44 PM
Dad set up a shipping crate in the basement when I was 9 or 10, pulled out a lever action Marlin 22lr and let me bang away. Mom was NOT happy...

Not much until the Marine Corps...qualed really well, but never gothte bug...

I finally (for a short while ) have some money in the bank and a subscription to the Washington Post, when I start getting (more) riled up over Sarah and HCI spouting their BS...and then it hits me that I'm an adult, and can buy whatever I d@mn well please...so I can directly blame Sarah and her pea-brained pals...Oh, the irony.

The rest is history...

S.

NewShooter78
January 3, 2003, 10:09 PM
My own determination...

I begged for an air rifle for years, and finally got one when I was around 13. Dad always had a revolver that was his father's and a rifle that was his father-in-law's around the house, but had no real interest in them. Then I finally decided to get one when I needed a job and the only thing I could find was working for my friend's brother's security company.

a9mmfan
January 3, 2003, 10:20 PM
I don't even remember a time when there was not a gun at or near every door in the old farmhouse where I was raised, but I was told that Mom told Dad that the guns had to stay locked up between the time I started crawling up until I displayed a respect for the guns. I think that by the time I was 4-5, they both knew that I had a firm understanding of the killing potential of every gun in the house, including the unloaded ones.

telewinz
January 3, 2003, 10:24 PM
Reading the April 1976 issue of the American Rifleman while sitting in the USO overseas

JerryN
January 3, 2003, 10:33 PM
Ancient family tradition was my introduction to guns. My family have been hunters since before time began. It has always been part of us, and will always be part of us. Its our lifestyle and a core element of our beliefs. No doubt the ACLU will protect us from discrimination... right...

Up until the Klinton Aministration, I was only interested in shotguns and deer rifles. Other than an interest in revolvers due to LEO experience, I only wanted to hunt.

Then the Anti-Constitution liberal left wingers started pissing me off. Since then, I have accumulated numerous handguns and long guns, including the Evil Black Rifle. I will continue to accumulate such artifacts as long as possible and as often as possible due to the half-azzed and anti-intellectual attacks by these sub-human morons.

So, other than familial hunting influence, the liberals have gotten me interested in guns. Guess their efforts aren't working very well, eh?

jrhines
January 3, 2003, 10:56 PM
The TLA I worked for wanted me to work CN ops in Peru & some other places. I said fine. They said I had to learn to shoot. So I did. That was in the early 80's. I'm still learning!

J Rhines
Seneca, MD

Griff
January 4, 2003, 05:36 AM
My Dad, 30 years ago.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
January 4, 2003, 08:04 AM
My Dad hunting wise with shotguns but I've turned to true evil and I'm into all types of handguns.........Revolvers...........Semi-auto's.............all types ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!h!:evil:

Sorry...................I got carried away. :D

Mike
January 4, 2003, 09:59 AM
The lowlifes that used to hang out in the carport of my apartment building drinking beer. :fire:

enichols
January 4, 2003, 10:16 AM
My uncle took me for my first shoot when I was about 8. I remember shooting a Ruger 10/22, BHP, and Colt 1911. I've been hooked ever since, and each year since then when he'd come to visit we'd go shooting. Since I've turned 18, I have my own stuff and I can go shooting whenever I want, and my uncle and I still have our annual outing.
-Nic

Ala Dan
January 4, 2003, 12:40 PM
my father in-law, and my brother in-law. Both are avid
gun collector's; plus the brother in-law hunts on some
occassion's, when his job doesn't have him tied up.

After seeing the collection's of these two individual's,
I knew that this was the path that I wanted to pursue!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Chipperman
January 4, 2003, 12:50 PM
Myself.
My parents are by no means anti, but neither have much interest.

thisaway
January 4, 2003, 02:17 PM
My dad. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Who got you into shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!