.22-250 dies

PDA

NavajoNPaleFace
January 8, 2006, 10:25 AM
I am about to work up some precision accuracy rounds for my new Savage .22-250 and I'm interested in what everyone thinks is the best precision and standard dies on the market (and if anyone really thinks a precision die turns out better products than a standard die).

I'm familiar with RCBS and Lee but I have no knowledge or hands-on experience with Dillon, Redding, Forster, etc.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22-250 dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
January 8, 2006, 11:09 AM
Unless you`re loading for a benchrest rifle capable of holding .15" groups "consistantly" you`ll do fine with dies from any of the major manufactures. I`ve Redding, Forster, RCBS and Hornady rifle dies and all load very accurate ammo. By very accurate, I`m shooting ~ 0.5"- 0.75" 5 rd groups regularly with after market barreled hunting rifles. My M70 HV .223 with factory tube will average .5"-.6" for 5rd also with little trouble. The ammo likely will do better but I can`t.........:(

NavajoNPaleFace
January 8, 2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks, Joe.

That's pretty what I was thinking is that most major die brands will turn out a precision round.

I've had great success with the Lee and RCBS on larger calibers but I was wondering if .22-250 (a higher velocity round) was more phinicky.

Thanks for your reply.

Lennyjoe
January 8, 2006, 03:48 PM
I use Lee to full size and after the brass is shot out of my rifle I use RCBS for neck sizing only.

trickyasafox
January 8, 2006, 05:18 PM
i've had good luck with my lee 22-250 dies, but win 748 has not treated me well in that caliber.

Versifier
January 8, 2006, 06:23 PM
I use Lee Collet Dies, Sierra GameKing (55gr SBT & HPBT) and MatchKing (52gr HPBT) Bullets, and IMR 3031. My 30+yrold Rem 788 does better than 1/2MOA if I do my part, harder to do as time goes by, but I can still make the cans dance at 400yds and have taken woodchucks and coyotes at that range and beyond. I also have a regular 2die set of RCBS, but they haven't seen much use since I got the Collet Dies when they first came out. I don't have anything positive to say about 748 in mine, but every rifle is different. I would also try IMR4064 and Alliant REloader7, as they have shown good accuracy (subMOA) and consistant velocities, but my rifle prefers 3031 at around 3400 MV.

ScreamnEagle
January 9, 2006, 12:27 PM
I use RCBS for my sizing, and Hornady for bullet seating and crimp. Works VERY good. I get a constant .5 MOA or less groups at 100yds with my Savage M11. For a Coyote gun thats more than I can ask for.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22-250 dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!