Identify this pilot's pistol and the aircraft

PDA

Blackhawk
April 8, 2003, 04:43 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=216655

If you enjoyed reading about "Identify this pilot's pistol and the aircraft" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy joe
April 8, 2003, 04:50 PM
F-15 and M-11???

-Nice stealth mod

cslinger
April 8, 2003, 04:50 PM
F15 and an M11.

Next.:D

cslinger
April 8, 2003, 04:51 PM
The post was so similar and happened at the same time I thought I had double tapped.

Lone_Gunman
April 8, 2003, 05:10 PM
I think he is getting into Wonder Woman's invisible jet.

The M11 is easy, but there is also a J frame S&W strapped to his left ankle. I think its the lightweight model, but could be stainless, hard to tell from this angle. Looks like its loaded with 125 g LRN ammo.

The real question is, why does he have a Britney Spears CD in his bag?

Blackhawk
April 8, 2003, 05:27 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Nightcrawler
April 8, 2003, 05:34 PM
How do you see the controls on an invisible jet?

Wonder Woman (http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/wonderwoman.htm) had this problem too.

Wonder Woman's unofficial job on the team was giving Aquaman a ride to any place that wasn't along the water. If you want to see how often that might have been, try to travel by boat to every place you go in the next week. That's probably why Wonder Woman could never finish getting dressed-- she was busy playing taxi for the **** fish idiot.

:D

10-Ring
April 8, 2003, 05:36 PM
Why is he jackin' wonder woman's plane?

Unisaw
April 8, 2003, 05:49 PM
Last item on post-flight checklist: set parking brake.:uhoh:

Mike Irwin
April 8, 2003, 06:01 PM
Can you imagine that in a mall parking lot?

'dammit, I could have SWORN I parked down this aisle next to a blue Honda... '

BerettaNut92
April 8, 2003, 06:15 PM
Looks like an F-22. What do those guys carry, Berettas?

WilderBill
April 8, 2003, 06:25 PM
Congrats to the folks that designed the camoflage on that plane. Must be an F 117 RS...really stealthy.

natedog
April 8, 2003, 06:42 PM
The new stealth bomber.

DragonRider
April 8, 2003, 08:06 PM
JSW, note what looks like a fuel probe coming out of the nose. It could well be a Remove Before Flight tag. Otherwise its a F22, trying to trackdown the armpatch, but looks similar to the JSW

John

seeker_two
April 8, 2003, 09:14 PM
Question: If we can build a plane that can't be seen by radar and flies fast enough to evade visual sighting, why do we need to build so many of them? :scrutiny:

Why not build a few dozen & tell everyone that we have THOUSANDS of them & they're EVERYWHERE--but you can't see them...:evil:

TheLastBoyScout
April 8, 2003, 09:27 PM
Can't ID the pistol, although it doesn't look like anything issued (the pistol is stainless in a crossdraw holster on his chest), but the splash looks more like an F22 shape than a F15

Tamara
April 9, 2003, 12:58 AM
Whatever the plane is, it has leaky valve cover gaskets. :D

HABU
April 9, 2003, 01:12 AM
Duh! It's an F4 Phantom!:D :neener:

The pistol under his arm may be an M11, but did anyone notice the CQB on his right kidney?:cool:

CatsDieNow
April 9, 2003, 07:29 AM
F/A-22's are not in active service yet. Definitly not one of those.

Changed my mind...it's too small to be an F-14. F-15 dimensions fit better.

280PLUS
April 9, 2003, 09:31 AM
i hear she let the AF borrow it for the duration.

:rolleyes:

buzz_knox
April 9, 2003, 09:44 AM
It's an F-22. You can tell by the more angular shape of the wings, and the smaller spacing between the rear edge of the wings and the forward edge of the rear control surfaces.

Marko Kloos
April 9, 2003, 09:54 AM
F-22. The leading edge of the air intakes is angular, not straight like on the F-15. The trailing edge of the wing also has too much angle to it to match an F-15.

fatboyclone
April 9, 2003, 10:19 AM
how are you guys seeing a pistol to identify it? I can make out a small glint of steel hanging on his chest, but could never ID it.

but i do agree with everyone that said the plane was a F-22.

Mal H
April 9, 2003, 10:34 AM
Best line from a Star Trek movie: after landing in a cloaked ship, Kirk says, "Everybody remember where we parked."

Blackhawk
April 9, 2003, 10:46 AM
For those who picked F-15, look at the width of the nose section, inlets, and wing tips on the photo compared to the much larger F-15. (See photo provided by CatsDieNow.)

CatsDieNow
April 9, 2003, 11:25 AM
I have difficulty believeing that this is an F/A-22 because LM Aero has just shipped aircraft number 12 to the AF as production representitive aircraft, only three of which are flying. The contours on the air intakes have also changed somewhat.

I agree it looks like one, but the odds are just better on an F-15 which it also kinda looks like. I suppose it's possible if this photo was taken at Edwards AFB (where 11 of the planes are). The wingspan dimensions are similar, with the F/A-22 being about 2.5 feet larger at 44.5 feet.

280PLUS: (edited to say: nevermind - the "wonderwoman" part didn't show up in the thread history; I thought you were refering to me.) All kinds of planes come in at the AFB here, including F-14's, but not on a regular basis. I was driving to the main plant two years ago and a B-2 was taking off. Scared me half to death because the road and the trees made it pop out of nowhere right at eye-level. Normally, only C-130, F/A-18, and F-16 are here though.

Ala Dan
April 9, 2003, 01:53 PM
Don't know about the aircraft in question; but the
M11 SIG-Sauer P228 is an excellent choice!:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

D.W. Drang
April 9, 2003, 02:26 PM
Tamara: USAF B-52s are staging through Hungary, Johnny Cash is covering a Nine Inch Nails tune, Porsche is making an SUV, Tom Glavine is pitching for the Mets, and Smith & Wesson is building a 1911: it's the end of the world as we know it!You forgot "The best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, and Germany wants to sit out a war!

buzz_knox
April 9, 2003, 02:37 PM
I have difficulty believeing that this is an F/A-22 because LM Aero has just shipped aircraft number 12 to the AF as production representitive aircraft, only three of which are flying. The contours on the air intakes have also changed somewhat

Just remember that this is a fake photo, so it's pretty much irrelevant what is or is not in active service. The guy could be shown stepping into an X-wing for that matter.

Unisaw
April 9, 2003, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know HOW this picture was taken? My guess is that one exposure was taken that recorded traces of the aircraft's heat signature. Note that there is a similar image behind the aircraft--perhaps that is the signature of the starter unit or whatever it's called. Then, I'm guessing a second exposure was taken of the pilot climbing into the cockpit. Finally, I think the two images were merged. If I'm correct about the first part of the image, the "heat" may not precisely reflect the true lines of the aircraft which I am guessing is an F-15.

On the other hand, perhaps I should get back to things I actually know about!:D

Marko Kloos
April 9, 2003, 02:50 PM
I think they just pushed the boarding ladder close to the dry outline of the bird when it was moved after a rain, and the flyboy pretended to step onto the "invisible" bird. Occam's Razor, and all. :)

Unisaw
April 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
<Occam's Razor>

Good one! :D ... and I think you're right. It does look like the ramp is wet except where the aircraft and starter unit were parked.

CatsDieNow
April 9, 2003, 03:27 PM
Buzz: Yup...what Lendringser said. That'd have been the easiest way to make it. Which implied they actually had a plane at one time, and why I was arguing against it since there are so many more F-15's out there.

Everytime I look at that picture it looks more and more like an F/A-22. However, admitting that I may be wrong would be (cough) embarassing. I must not have had enough caffiene this morning. :D

RON in PA
April 9, 2003, 04:06 PM
None of you guys got it, it's a Piper J-3 grasshopper and he has S&W Victory.

Freedom in theSkies
April 9, 2003, 05:20 PM
It's silhouette on the ground is that of a Raptor, and the pistol is a INOX Brigadier.
The picture was taken at Edwards AirForce Base outside of one of the last hangers before the Nasa area. (Boeings' Hangers, or the 416th Flight Test Sqn.

HA!!!!!:D :cool: :neener:

garrettwc
April 9, 2003, 05:30 PM
I think Freedom pegged it on the plane and location. Pilot looks like the guy that was on a documentary I saw about the development of the plane. The documentary was about the competition between Boeing and Lockheed.

I don't have a clue on the gun. My eyes aren't good enough anymore to ID from that small a picture.

Unisaw
April 9, 2003, 05:36 PM
Now why would a test pilot be flying with a sidearm? Don't y'all know that those things can go off by themselves and ruin an expensive test program? Anyway, the presence of a sidearm still has me leaning toward an operational unit. Of course, maybe there was a third image taken of a handgun and then...oh, never mind.:rolleyes:

cool45auto
April 9, 2003, 06:57 PM
You guys are nuts!!!:neener:

Blackhawk
April 9, 2003, 07:29 PM
I think they just pushed the boarding ladder close to the dry outline of the bird when it was moved after a rain, and the flyboy pretended to step onto the "invisible" bird. Occam's Razor, and all. Extremely close as for how the picture was taken, lendringser, but no cigar!

After a sufficient rain to wet the whole apron and the clouds thinning out but still obscuring the sun, the unshaded areas dry quickly leaving a wet print of the aircraft on the apron. The boarding ladder and pilot pretense photographed from another boarding ladder or tug is an old joke, and it's quite effective! :D

Why no cigar? You haven't identified the pistol or the aircraft itself.... :D

Tamara
April 9, 2003, 07:55 PM
It's fairly obvious which parts of the ramp are wet and which are dry... ;)

Marko Kloos
April 9, 2003, 07:58 PM
Scroll back...I said it was an F-22. As for the pistol, that's kind of hard to identify at that resolution, but it would have to be an M-9 or M-11 unless the pilot carries personal hardware.

4v50 Gary
April 9, 2003, 08:04 PM
Super Secret plane from behind the curtain: Ponatovski Pigeon. Besides dropping bombs, it molts.

Detritus
April 9, 2003, 09:15 PM
Uh guys i hate to break it to you but that's NOT a pistol you're seeing on his left side.

That is part of his harness. in that location on AF (adn navy as well i believe)"parachute harnesses" there is a large piece of metal that is shaped into a sort of hollow sideways-T. i never can remember the fuction of that "bit" but it IS in the right palce to be a "D-ring" for either manual deployment of the chute or some other bail-out/survival function. but it is NOT a pistol.

you guys are seeing what you WANT to see not what's actually there.

Oh and the aircraft that WAS parked there, was a (Y)F-22.

Blackhawk
April 9, 2003, 10:24 PM
Okay, everybody, I think we're getting close.

One more time: "Identify this pilot's pistol and the aircraft"

The aircraft is: __________________?

The pistol is: ___________________?

Tamara
April 9, 2003, 10:48 PM
I'm gonna have to go with M9 and YF-22A.

Detritus
April 9, 2003, 10:49 PM
ok i'll bite.....

The Aircraft Is..... Non-existant

the pistol is........ Non-existant

that what you wanted fro us BH??:D

Blackhawk
April 9, 2003, 10:56 PM
We have a winner!

I had a feeling that you were going to get it because of this: you guys are seeing what you WANT to see not what's actually there.

Congratulations, Detritus!

You are the type of person I would definitely want on my side in any conflict! :D

Schuey2002
April 9, 2003, 10:59 PM
:scrutiny:

Nice joke, Blackhawk...:p

Tamara
April 9, 2003, 11:00 PM
I suck at trick questions! :D

Detritus: Good job!

Blackhawk: You get a virtual noogie! ;)

VNgo
April 10, 2003, 03:13 AM
The profile is distinctly that of an F/A-22 Raptor...the F-15 has a much narrower forward fuselage, wingtips that are rounded off rather than angled, and tailfins which come straight out rather than projecting both back and out from the fuselage.

SRYnidan
April 11, 2003, 01:33 AM
The Aircraft is a F-22 and as I say that I am sitting at Nellis AFB with one parked outside to compare it to. I am pretty sure he is not carrying a pistol as they are rarely issued if not flying in combat and then it would be a M9.

JeremyIA
April 11, 2003, 10:18 PM
Are fighter pilots issues M-9's? I know that Army aviators are. I was just wondering. I carried an M-11 for 18 months and am quite certain that the M-11 doesn't reflect light like that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Identify this pilot's pistol and the aircraft" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!