Newbie question: Changing sights myself?

PDA

Nitrogen
January 8, 2006, 10:56 PM
I've got an XD-9 sub with the generic XD Springfield sights. Let's say I want to put some Trijicon or other tritium-style night sights on. Can I do this myself, or do I need a real gunsmith to do it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie question: Changing sights myself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
palerider1
January 8, 2006, 10:58 PM
i would get a good gunsmith to do it if i were you. money well spent. :)

palerider1

NavyLCDR
January 8, 2006, 11:30 PM
I tried replacing the rear sight on a Taurus PT-92. I put a little ding in the bluing on the slide and got absolutely nowhere. My local gunsmith charged me $10 and did it in about 15 minutes while I waited. You can buy a sight removal/insertion/adjusting tool from Brownell's, but I would save some headache and just use the gunsmith.

January 9, 2006, 01:04 AM
If a pusher will work on both front and rear, get the pusher, should be easy. My only experience is with Glock, I have the pusher for the rear and nut driver for the front. If it's anything like a Glock, it's a breeze.

dmftoy1
January 9, 2006, 09:15 AM
Do a little research before you do it though as there can be at trick. I needed to put a front sight on my kimber (higher) and you had to drive it out in the correct direction because of a taper in the slot. There was a great guy here on the website who give me illustrated instructions and after that it was a piece of cake. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

PS - Do some searches in the gunsmithing forum here on THR. That's where I got my info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie question: Changing sights myself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!