Guns your father had when you were growing up

PDA

Rancid Bacon
January 9, 2006, 11:12 PM
The old man hunted with a beat up old Remington 1148 recoil operated shotty for years till he picked up an Ithica 37 pump with the deer slayer. Had a Blackhawk .22 and an old Winchester .243 for the groundhogs after hay season. He never really looked at firearms other than that they were tools, necessary for a certain job.

He still has that Ithica pumpgun and harvests 2 deer a year with slugs and open sights, and never gets too overly excited about any particular firearm.

I had more firearms at age 16 than he's ever owned (or needed by his accounts), The bug seemed to effect me more I think, not that it was a contest by any means.

Anybody else have recollections of the firearms their fathers used?

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns your father had when you were growing up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
threefeathers
January 9, 2006, 11:14 PM
The ones I remember were a Remington Rolling Block 22 long rifle and a sporterized Jap 25. He bought me a Winchester single shot Model 67 when I was 12.

ZenMasterJG
January 9, 2006, 11:23 PM
My father has never owned a gun. My grandfather did, Savage shotguns and rifles, a few other hunting rifles i never IDed, and a 'mum intact model 99 Arisaka.
I found the Arisaka cleaning up the house after my graddad died. Grandma says theres a great story behind how he got it, but she doesn't remember it.

The gun was in terrible condition, all rusty and nasty, i had to beat the bolt open with a mallet. I spent hours cleaning up that gun, to keep in memory of my grandfather, but my Grandma just moved to Texas and demanded it back so she could take it to my uncle who was actually supposed to inherit it. (He didn't even want it... i think he sold it.)

:(

gfen
January 9, 2006, 11:27 PM
The old man had a 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster and a 39A Marlin. He never hunted much, and I never had interest in it. Unfortuantly, both of them went to my brother, as I'd have liked to have the 39A.

Still, all in all, my brother will prolly pass 'em on to his kid. I plan on having none.

grimjaw
January 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
I believe he still has all of these.

Marlin 336. I grew up wanting to be big enough to handle and shoot this rifle, and now I have one of my own.
Remington 552(?), anyway an autoloading tube fed Remington .22 rifle, very old.
A Browning autoloading shotgun.

There are more, but those are the ones I remember. He eventually got me a Ruger 10/22 of my own, and I still have it.

jmm

LSCurrier
January 9, 2006, 11:34 PM
My father had the following:

Remington 742 Carbine (30-06)
Winchester 94 (30-30)
Winchester (Can't remember model #) (22 Hornet)
Marline 60 (Think that was the model / Maybe model 65 or 66) (22 LR)
Winchester 53 (12 guage)

I don't know why, but I have a want to get the guns dad had (my brother has most of his - except the 22 Hornet that I have). Dad's Marlin 60 22 LR was the coolest little rifle - it had a scope on it that looked like it was out of this world.

Dad hated shotguns with external hammers and told me stories when he used one and it kicked him in the teeth - I have an aversion to external hammer shotguns (except the old double barrel type with the two side hammers).

Dad had a little 25 caliber Baretta also (brother has that too :(). I found one in good condition for $99 and had to have it. It must be the memories of shooting with Dad. :) No other way to explain it.

Luke

jd25q
January 9, 2006, 11:36 PM
From my childhood these were in the cabinet:

His first, Remington pump 30-06, bought it as a teenager, killed a lot of deer, and at least one pack of rogue dogs
Sako finnwolf .243, used for most everything from groundhogs to whitetails
Sporterized 03a3, never knew him to use it for anything, I've got it now
Belgian browning a-5
marlin 49dl .22, squirrels, rabbits, skunks, and the hated starling mainly, my first rifle was the same
some model remington auto .22, never used that I saw
some kind of old double barrel 12 gauge
ruger single six, 22 magnum, used for putting down cattle for slaughter

f4t9r
January 9, 2006, 11:36 PM
He had 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster
I have it now

SMLE
January 9, 2006, 11:42 PM
I have from my Father the following;
Swede 1894 Carbine.
Remington 12 Ga pump(model 10 I think)
Mossberg .22LR Semi-auto
Ithaca 49 22 S, L, LR single shot.(one of 2 in the family)
Repro "Zouave" ML rifle.
Crossman CO2 pellet rifle.

My Brother had his Remington 1903A3, but it was stolen in a burglary years ago.:fire: He also has the other Ithaca 49 that my niece is now learning to shoot with.

I saw Dad kill 4 jackrabbits with 5 rounds a 225 yards, using the Mossberg. And shoot clean through a 13/16" hole in a swinging plate at 50 yards with the .58 Cal Zouave. Both shots standing off hand over iron sights. He had 20/10 vision most of his life and qualified Expert in the USMC during WWII. He grew up during the Depression when ammo cost money that you often didn't have and missing a shot at food was not an option.

oneshooter
January 9, 2006, 11:43 PM
Remington 700-270Win
Browning Light Twelve w/gold trigger
Winchester M92 rifle 38/40 Win ( was Grandads)
Colt New Service 6" 38/40 Win ( was Grandads)

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas
and missing Dad

Kodiaz
January 9, 2006, 11:50 PM
Wow my dad's guns.

an old 20 ga. SXS
A mossberg pump his deer gun (I never shot this one)
A .22 bolt gun
A remington 700 .308 (what I was taught long range shooting with)
A Colt trooper 2 wheel gun (which I still haven't shot I'm 31)
My uncle got me a malin tube fed semi auto .22 when I was 9 1983
then those leftist bastards passed the NJ AWB and the Devastating assault SHTF .22 had to be left at my uncle's house in Pa. wow I just realized

I've been to tactical for NJ since I was 9

when I was 10 Santa left me my first shot gun a H&R 20 ga. breechloader

When I was 15 I Santa left me a Rem. 1187 in 12 ga. It came with me to Fl and now it sports a 9 + 1 mag extension.

Now that my father isn't buying guns clothes and food for his kids

He has his own 11-87 which is his new Big game gun. He took a bear with it in NJ's first bear season.

And he has an over and under 12 ga. for the birdies.

Now if I could just talk him into sending me his revolver(He never shoots it I've told him more than once to put a box of 00 next to the pump and not to try and shoot that pistol which he hasn't shot since only God knows when)

Kodiaz
January 9, 2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah I miss my Dad a lot we always go fishing when he comes to Fl. It's funny I used to never vote Republican and now that I live in a free state. I always bother him and my uncle about living in the People's Republic of Newjersistan.

TheFrontRange
January 9, 2006, 11:59 PM
For quite a few of my formative years, my Dad was in law enforcement, first in California as a deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, then later as an officer with the Montgomery (Alabama) Police Department.

I remember him carrying a snub-nosed revolver while off-duty, a gun he later identified to me as a S&W Airweight Chief's Special in .38 Special. Although I don't remember it, his duty gun with LA County was a four-inch S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece in .38 Special. I'm sure the duty weapon for MPD was something similar. For the sake of reference, he was an LEO from about 1968 to 1975 or so.

Since then he's owned assorted snubby revolvers (currently carries a titanium-framed Taurus) and, for a while, a Walther PPK-S!

1911 guy
January 10, 2006, 12:12 AM
My Dad had a Rem 700 in "06, sold it.
Ruger .44 Mag, sold it.
Youth model 20 ga (don't know the make) for me later, sold it.

Thankfully, my Grandad had the sense to not give Dad any of his shotguns until Dad got his life straightened out. Those guns were all sold to feed a habit he finally kicked twenty years ago.

jaimeshawn
January 10, 2006, 12:13 AM
Enfield in 30-06.

Ugly and tons of recoil. I would guess it's no worse than several rifles that I have now, but my childhood memory of it is brutal.

bumm
January 10, 2006, 12:34 AM
My dad's first gun was a simple bolt action, single shot, Remington Model 33 his mom got him in 1931. He evidently found an old lever action Winchester in the attic (must have belonged to his late father,) but figuring it was too much for him, his mom traded it at the local hardware store for the Remington. He grew to love that gun, took great care of it, became a crack shot with it, and gave it to me when I was about 8 years old.
Later in 1950, when I was just a baby, he bought a HiStandard GB pistol. He never shot it much, but I can remember him showing it to me and telling me what a nice gun it was.
He died in '98, and I now have both guns. Although it would be only worth maybe 100 dollars tops, I treasure that old Remington, and just in case something happens to me, I have a tag on it explaining what it is so that it will stay in the family. I shot the blue off the rails of the little HiStandard GB, and I'd like to think Dad would've liked it that way.
Marty

rem870
January 10, 2006, 01:02 AM
My dad had a lot of guns. I still live at home while attending college so I haven't grown up completely. He always had 2 colt 6601's. That was the first centerfire rifle I ever shot. He used to load one round at a time and let me shoot glass bottles at my farm. Other than that I always remember him having shotguns. I didn't know what make/model they were when I was a young 'un. He has slacked off on buying guns, so naturally I picked up the family tradition.:D

MadMercS55
January 10, 2006, 02:34 AM
My dad always had some sort of Beretta pistol. For the longest time it was an original 92 series. Later a .380 84 model. And the most recent 92FS. He is also in Law Enforcement and has his original Smith 19 somewhere. His current issue weapon is a Glock 23. He was never much for rifles, but always had a .308 Enfield and a Mossberg 500 around.

bermbuster
January 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
My dad taught me to shoot with his Colt .32 revolver. He gave it to my cousin a few years ago and it was stolen along with other guns my cousin had. :(

Camp David
January 10, 2006, 12:51 PM

Dad used old Winchester Model 12 nickel steel pump; 12 gauge full choke with 30" bbl...with it he shot geese with #2's and deer with #00 buck... barrel was extremely loose at joint due to threads loosening but it shot fine... I have this gun now...I've been told not to use steel shot in it so it doesn't get much exercise....

Hutch
January 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
I may be the first Hutch in generations to even OWN a firearm. My dad (God rest his soul) didn't know which end wags and which end bites.

Old Dog
January 10, 2006, 01:20 PM
An old Steven's single-shot .22 (first "real gun" I ever shot) ...
... Ithaca Model 37 12-gauge (I hated it)
... an old .410, can't remember the maker
... Winchester 94 in .30-30 (first deer I ever bagged)
... Winchester pre-64 Model 70 in .30-06
... that was it ... no handguns. But boy, did my maternal grandfather have some great guns ...

ball3006
January 10, 2006, 01:22 PM
Model 12 16 ga, Win 94 in 32WS, Stevens 12 ga double barrel, Hi Standard Field King, Win 63 22. I don't have any of these......my brothers have them as they have kids and can pass them down......chris3

USMCRotrHed
January 10, 2006, 01:42 PM
My dad had a .22 bolt single shot and a Winchester Model 97 pump 12 gauge. They're all mine now but he reserves the right to take them out anytime.

ReadyontheRight
January 10, 2006, 01:52 PM
Remington 740 30-06 with a Weaver K4 scope that took A LOT of deer and a few moose over the years. The 740/742/7400 was THE gun to own in the deer camp.

He let me shoot it once when I was about 7. I had shot his Remington single-shot .22 and a Rem 760 pump in .244 quite a bit (even unsupervised -- what a different world back then!). I had never shot a gun with a scope before that.

He was so concerned about me loading and pointing it safely that he didn't notice that I put my eye too close to the scope. OUCH! I'm still a little leery of scopes and I have not shot that specific rifle since.

Finally got a 740 myself in the late 90s and got my first buck with it (with open sights.:) )

carlrodd
January 10, 2006, 01:55 PM
my dad had some really ancient, beat-up 12 guage. we lived in northern delaware, very built up, urban, dirty, too much crime. we lived right behind a big shopping center, and people would always come and park behind the stores and do wierd s**t cause it was private. my dad would FREQUENTLY sit on the roof of our garden shed and plug perps from 20 meters. your average perp was hairy, 5 to 15 pounds, had huge front teeth, lived in holes in the ground, and ate the lettuce in our garden. i always laughed at the fact that my dad would blow ground hogs up in our garden, while shady ne'er do wells that parked behind the shopping center crapped their pants when they heard the boom. good times. he also bought me a garand from a k-mart warehouse for $120:)

Baba Louie
January 10, 2006, 02:00 PM
Dad had Soooooo many guns (I've acquired them since his passing), but the first one(s) I remember shooting were his Marlin 39, followed by his Colt 1911A1 and the Win 97. The Marlin and the 97 he had for years before I really knew about fun things like rabbit, squirrel and duck hunting. The 1911 he bought with me in tow.
The fact that he was a machinist/gunsmith, had two younger brothers in the Marine Corps and two B-I-L who were Cops meant I grew up around firearms and shooters.
When he passed away I think he had almost enough. :p
I hope to do the same for my kids. :D

Black Majik
January 10, 2006, 03:27 PM
NONE.

I got him into shooting. :D

Carl
January 10, 2006, 03:31 PM
He had a really nice old 1916 Spanish 7mm Mauser, and a .22 single shot bolt-action Marlin rifle. I'd always beg him to bring the .22 when we'd go up north because I could entertain myself all day on our 40 acres shooting things off stumps and so forth. He lost interest in guns and the Marlin and Mauser will eventually become mine.

McCall911
January 10, 2006, 03:32 PM
The only gun that I ever knew that he had was a Smith & Wesson Military and Police in .38 Special. Unfortunately, it was stolen from his car (he always had a CCW permit, even before it was "fashionable") just a few years before he passed away.

springmom
January 10, 2006, 03:39 PM
My dad last held a gun when he was in the Army as an MP in Hawaii at the end of WW II. He's such a gentle soul he gets upset if he runs over a squirrel. I tried to talk him into letting me hunt his lady friend's property because she is literally overrun with deer: he looked at me like I'd suggested we cook and eat my youngest for dinner. :what:

He's amused by me being a shooter (and probably proud of me, but he's not big on saying that much) but him? Not gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Springmom

Working Man
January 10, 2006, 03:49 PM
The ones that stand out in my mind the most were his Sterling .22, we shot
that little gun so loose we had to clean it after a few clips. Next was his
Ruger Single Six (had both cylinders .22 Magnum and Long Rifle) I really liked
the old west look to it, being a big Wagon Train and Rawhide fan. I thought
that was the biggest revolver around (being only 4 or 5 at the time).

The last was his Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Magnum with a 10 and 3/4" barrel
that my mother bought him as a gift. I'm not ashamed to admit that thing
scared the hell out of me the first time I shot it. It is a special memory that
one... only 6 rounds have been fired through it and 5 of them were by me. :D

Dr.Rob
January 10, 2006, 05:32 PM
The old man taught me to shoot on A Marlin 39A and Ruger Mark 1 Target pistol... while each of our collections has grown we still like shooting the guns I grew up with.

Moonclip
January 10, 2006, 07:27 PM
The family always had guns but only in the last 10-15 years has been acquiring large amounts of them and seriously getting involved in the hobby.

Guns owned before this time were a S&W mod 36-1 3" blued 38spl chiefs special I still have and a Charter Arms 3" blued 22lr pathfinder revolver a family friend has but I have an identical gun.

Also a Mossberg 500 20 ga and a western field 12ga I barely remember and a 10/22 I don't remember. My dad gave his father in law, my maternal grandfather a Bernadelli mod USA 32acp which I still have.

waterhouse
January 10, 2006, 07:56 PM
not many. . .
Browning BPS 12 ga.
870 16 ga.
Marlin single shot .22

John Rogers
January 10, 2006, 07:56 PM
This thread got me remembering good times long ago. My dad had quite a few guns, but the one I remember best was the old Stevens Favorite .22 that he had as a kid. He gave it to my older brother and I was green with envy. Then there was the 5mm rifle, the only one I remember actually being able to hit anything with. But then they put in houses behind my grandparents property where we used to shoot, and then my parents' lives got complicated, there was no more until many years later.

One of the more memorable days involved a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and water-filled paint cans... :D

Now I need to get him to come out to visit so we can get in some range time; he needs a break from that new england winter.

John

redneckrepairs
January 10, 2006, 08:10 PM
nice winchesters ( a couple of mod 12s and a mod 70 ) nice remmingtons ( pump action cauese he did hunt bears and felt he could " shoot faster " with a " shotgun action " a first gen saa colt in .45 colt , a couple of ruger single sixes, a remmington mod 11a ( ithica 37 action in 12 ga ) ect ... grandad thought of them as tools and often advised me to get the best tools i could afford

cracked butt
January 10, 2006, 08:34 PM
Nothing really out of the ordinary, sopme of them he eventually gave to me.

SKB O/U 12 guage
870 Wingmaster
an old single shot 12 guage that bel;onged to my grandfather
Remington 700 .308
Remington 541 and 581 .22s
Rem 1100 trapgun
Rem 1100 field model
Winchester 20 guage pump
Ruger no.1 in 6mm
Ruger single six and a ruger blackhawk .357

lawson
January 10, 2006, 11:34 PM
my dad always had many guns, and still has most of them.

the ones most memorable to me were the first ones i shot as a child.

- an old, beat up, Ruger Single-Six, the first gun i ever shot. he mainly used it for plinking, and shooting at rabbits from the driver's seat of his '64 International Scout.
- an equally beat up Smith & Wesson Chief's Special. like a lot of young kids, i thought that a smaller gun would equal less recoil....
-a Remington Sportsman 20-gauge. he still hunts quail and dove with it.
-a T/C Contender in .221 fireball (pistol), with custom rifle barrel and stock in 7-30 Waters.
- a S&W model 10 which was my grandfather's service pistol as a county sheriff in the 50s, the job he got after he got home from the navy.

4570Rick
January 10, 2006, 11:44 PM
My Dad hunted everything from rabbit to deer with a Remington Model 25 .25-20. I own that gun now. ;)

Starter52
January 11, 2006, 11:22 AM
Zero. My 80-yr-old dad owned his only gun in his boyhood days on the farm in the 1930's. I grew up in house that never saw a firearm until a Sears bolt-action .22 appeared under the tree when I was 14.

TrapperReady
January 11, 2006, 12:18 PM
Winchester Model 12 12ga
Sears bolt-action 12ga
Winchester Model 88 .308 lever-action carbine
Walther P-38 9mm

The Walther was a WWII bring-back of his. The Model 12 was given to him by my mom's dad and used for good-weather duck hunting and upland birds. The Sears 12ga was beat to heck and used for bad-weather duck hunting, bad-weather upland hunting, deer hunting and from the looks of it, a boat anchor.

The Model 88 was given to him by my mom, and he shot maybe one box of ammo through it before he gave up deer hunting altogether. I don't think he ever shot the pistol after the war.

Father Knows Best
January 11, 2006, 12:31 PM
My dad has always been an amateur military historian, and avid collector. He's gone through phases in his primary interests, however. When I was really little, he had an impressive collection of German WWII firearms, uniforms and insignia. I have vivid memories of his den being lined with dozens of Lugers, P-38's and Mausers. He had a .22 Mauser trainer that I learned to shoot on. He also had an MP-40 that I got to shoot once.

When he lost interest in the German stuff, he went though his 1911 phase. This was my middle school years. He had all the WWII variations (except Singer, of course), lots of pre-WWII, etc. He built shadow boxes with 1911A1's displayed next to letters, photos and mementoes of the actual soldiers who carried them (provenance meant a lot to him).

Then he went through a Michigan State Police phase (we lived in Michigan at the time, and my father worked with the MSP). He sold off his 1911 collection and built an impressive collection of firearms used by the MSP through the years.

Finally, he got interested in the Civil War, and that's been his focus for the last decade or so. He's got quite a collection of Spencer rifles, Colt cnb revolvers, etc. As usual, he's primarily interested in the history behind them, so he thoroughly researches the units each was used by and puts together elaborate historical displays for them. He volunteers as a guide at two different museums in the Atlanta area, and puts on living history demonstrations with repro Spencer and Henry rifles.

Richardson
January 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
- 2 Eddystone M1917's in .30-06, sporterized. I have one of them.
- Remington 7400 in .30-06, which he was given by the widow of a friend shortly after his death. I think he gave that to one of my brothers.
- An old pump 12 gauge with a muzzle break. He gave that to another brother.

If he wanted a .22 he'd borrow one from us. Later in life he got a 300 Winchester Magnum for Elk hunting, but he gave that to another brother. Recently he got another Remington 7400, and a Marlin .22lr, but I don't think he uses either much anymore.

The Eddystone is such a tough rifle that I appreciate having it, even if it has some quirks and inferior (sporterized) sights.

Pilot
January 11, 2006, 01:26 PM
My Dad was never a "gun person". His Dad (my grandad) was a cop for 40 plus years, so he was exposed to guns all his life. As a kid, he did shoot a .22, that one of his uncle's had, a Winchester Model 69, which I now have. Other than that he carried a 1911A1, only when he had to, as Officer of the Day as a Medical Officer in the U.S. Army. Interestingly, my grandad, the cop, asked him to bring back a Luger for him from Germany as he was there right after WWII in the army of occupation. Instead he brought back a Walther PP, which I now have. I would have preferred an all matching, original Luger, but oh well.

Libertyteeth
January 12, 2006, 12:52 AM
Among my Dad's guns was his Winchester Model 71 lever action .348 Winchester, reportedly the first rifle off Winchester's assembly line following WWII. (His army buddy had connections.) He hunted with it for decades. I now have it. Dad shot his last deer at the age of 79.

Beetle Bailey
January 12, 2006, 03:25 AM
USGI 1911A1

He wasn't a "gun guy" and used it for home defence. He learned how to shoot in the Army (1957-59) so it seemed logical to go with something he knew. Knowing him, he probably thought it a very practical design (he was an engineer by profession).

I never saw the gun, but knew he had one while I was growing up. After he passed, I asked my mother about it (mainly for safety reasons as I didn't want an unaccounted for gun around). It's lost now, so I'll have to settle for a commercial version. Lucky for me, I really like 1911-type guns.

Erinyes
January 12, 2006, 03:58 AM
My dad owned several, but as far as I know only bought one himself.

- Smith & Wesson Mod. 29 that he carried with the Dade Co., GA Sheriff's office (gift)
- Colt Gold Cup Series 70 (gift)
- S&W Mod. 19 (gift)
- Beretta 84 Cheetah (gift)
- Lee-Enfield No.1 Mk.III (family heirloom)
- S&W 59XX (Not sure the exact model. He bought it when he joined the Hamilton Co., TN Sheriff's office)

gulogulo1970
January 12, 2006, 10:21 AM
My dad only owned one, a Colt Police Positive.

Ala Dan
January 12, 2006, 01:52 PM
A couple of old Colt .32 revolver's that he sold before I was old enough to
know what guns were all about~!:uhoh: :(

tellner
January 12, 2006, 05:58 PM
None. I'm probably the first person on either side of my family to ever own a gun.

BADSBSNF81
January 12, 2006, 07:10 PM
Winchester Model 12 - 12 gauge
Remington Model 721 - 30/06
Ruger OM BlackHawk - 357
Ted Williams Shotgun with extra slug bbl - 12 gauge
Stevens Model 311a SXS - 20 gauge
Marlin Glenfield Model 70 - 22 single shot
Ithaca Model 49 - 22

jtward01
January 12, 2006, 07:45 PM
My father was career Air Force, so the only guns he used much were those in the noses of his P-38s and F-86s. :)

My uncle, Bill Sheets, was the hunter and shooter in the family. I don't remember the makes and models of all of his guns (I have an old family photo showing about 20 long guns in the gun rack in our living room), but I clearly remember his Belgian Browning Auto V and his Weatherby .30-06. Those two were his pride and joy. He also had an original Pennsylvania flintlock that he'd bought at a gun show. It had the name W.I. Sheets engraved on the lock sideplate. Those happened to be Bill's initials. Whether the gun had been made for someone with that name, or by someone with that name, he was never able to discover.

There were three others he had that I remember well. One was a Steven's Favorite that he gave to me when I was seven. The other was a Winchester Model 37 shotgun that he gave to me when I was about 10. There was also an Arisaka 99 that my aunt gave me after my uncle's death. He'd brought that home following his WWII service in the Navy. As I recall, he'd picked it up following a skirmish with a small Japanese patrol on one of the Aleutian islands where he was stationed with the SeaBeas.

From the photo I can see that he had several doubles and at least two pump guns plus several other bolt actions, but I don't know details.

MarshallDodge
January 12, 2006, 08:21 PM
Winchester 69A .22 - I now have it.
Various shotguns
Civil War rifles
Remington 03-A3
Sendra AR-15

He sold the shotguns and Civil War rifles when I was 10 so I don't remember what models they were but I can only imagine what they would be worth today. He bought the A3 and the AR when I was in high school and they were kept in my bedroom, unlocked, in the gunrack (how times have changed :) ) I always cleaned and maintained the guns. He sold the A3 when I was 19 and later on I traded him for the AR. I sold it to pay for an AR setup for varminting.

Later on when he realized I was into guns he said he was sorry for selling the Civil War rifles. :banghead:

Rpriestlyjr
January 13, 2006, 10:39 AM
Although he still has them all, he lets me borrow some of them from time to time. I've got plenty, but I've always liked his much more.
- Remington 12 ga Wingmaster (ducks)
- Ithaca 20 ga. M37 (ducks, upland, rabbits)
- An old Springfield .22 LR semi-auto (bird feeder liberations)
- Remington 700 BDL 6mm (pristine cond.)
- Remington 760 Gamemaster .300 SAV (nothing but deer blood on it)
- Ruger Single Six .22 WMR/LR
- Colt Python .357 (dream gun he finally got / I can't touch that one even though I'm 35 now)

Checkman
January 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
He still owns a few of the guns from my childhood (I'll be 38 in a couple of weeks). I was instructed on them. I have many fond memories of these guns and I'm grateful that he's kept most of them.

HANDGUNS
S&W M28 w/4' barrel (sold many years ago so I bought my own)
S&W M65 w/4" barrel
S&W M36
Colt Combat Commander (one of my favorites)

RIFLES
Colt SP101 carbine
M1 carbine
Israeli Mauser 98K in 7.62 NATO.
Savage Model 99 in 308 Winchester

SHOTGUN
Remington 870 in 12 gauge

rhubarb
January 14, 2006, 12:30 AM
Monkey Ward SxS 12ga with barrels long as I was tall the first time I shot it
Winchester 94 in .30-30
Single Shot bolt .22 rifle with no markings
Chrome S&W .38 Special
German autoloader in .32 he brought back from the Second World War.

Guess that's about all the guns a feller needs, ain't it?

huntershooter
January 14, 2006, 02:04 PM
A-5 12 ga., K-15 .38 & a Mod. 69 Win. .22.

Tulsaboyw
September 14, 2006, 10:32 PM
When I was a kid: (now 48)
I had a BB gun & a Remington 581 (or rather my dad owned it, but it was mine)

Dad had:
Double barrel Shotgun that was as old as he was.
Guns from WWII, all mint ..
& when he moved my 581.

I only now got my 581 back after not having it for 33 years.

Guess I better check the baby out, dont know when the last time dad shot or maintained it.

LooterLefty
September 14, 2006, 11:11 PM
My old man and his two brothers used to take an Iver-Johnson 12ga. out and harvest a couple of deer every season. During his time in the Marine Corps, he was issued a number of weapons. Among them the Browning .30 cal machine gun. Nowadays, he says he's got no use for firearms.

sixgunner455
September 14, 2006, 11:35 PM
Dad had a Marlin 336 in .30-30 when I was a boy. He sold it to pay for rent or some such thing. I remember him keeping it in the coal cellar that we never used because it had a locking door on it. We had a gas furnace in the house, so that room was for storage. Kept canning supplies in there except when Mom was putting something up. That was the only gun I remember him having at that age, though he did have a compound bow he hunted with a couple of times. I have that now. 'Bout 5 years back, they moved, and he gave me some Silvertips, couple boxes worth, he'd had sitting around since he sold that rifle.

He also had a .22 Benjamin air pistol, a single-shot pump. He used to use it with just air in it to kill spiders. I don't remember him ever not having that one. I bought a .177 Crossman very similar to it a couple of years ago, because it seemed like I wasn't keeping house properly without one.

Maybe 2 years or less after he sold that Marlin rifle, we were moving across the country, and a friend from work asked if he had a pistol to take on the drive. Dad said no, he didn't have anything at all, so the guy gave him an H&R .22 revolver. Looks like a single action, Western-type, but it's double action, holds 9 shells. I believe that was the first gun I ever shot. I know it was the first pistol I ever shot, and we've all shot the heck out of it. It's still the only pistol he owns, though he was a cop for over 20 years. He always just carried the issue gun, and turned it in whenever he wasn't on a duty requiring it.

He got into blackpowder rifles, and is on his third, a Lyman GPR in .54. His CVA flintlock .45 is with my brother. He also has bought a Rossi .22 pump, which he got because he'd wanted a Winchester pump since he was a little boy, and it looked just like the ones he'd drooled over when his uncles were shooting.

I haven't been to his place in a while, but I'd be surprised if he has any more than those three. He talks about getting a .44 Magnum "someday". Don't know if he ever will. Claims he doesn't know what he'd do with such a thing, but he's wanted one for a long time.

Grandpa came back from WWII with two pistols, a P38 and a Luger. He sold them both and never had another pistol in his house till the day he died . He didn't let my dad buy a pistol when he wanted one, either.
I always had one or two when I came to visit as an adult, but I didn't tell him about that!
Dad, as a little boy, went with him to the train station one day to pick up an 03a3 he'd bought through the NRA, and "helped" him sporterize it. My cousin ended up with it when Grandad started to go downhill with the Alzheimer's, and it got stolen in a break-in last year. Don't remember if I ever saw it. Dad tells me he had a .22 rifle and a shotgun, too, but I never saw those either.

I have a S&W .38 M&P that my dad's department used to issue and sold as surplus, that I bought at a pawn shop several years ago. I didn't know it was from his department until I took the Pachmayrs off it. I tracked down some proper era grips for it at a little gun show in Douglas, AZ a couple of years back. They cost me $40.00! The gun only cost $120.00! It, and the grips, are c. 1930 -- they never threw any of them away till they switched to the 5906. That old .38 is the closest I have come to having a gun from my dad yet. Probably won't see one until he passes -- may that be many years down the road.

Tory
September 14, 2006, 11:43 PM
A Colt SAA - style Crosman CO2 revolver (.22; not BB); the cylinder screwed in where the ejector rod would be;

An Ithaca Model 49 Saddle Gun; and

A sporterized .303 Enfield.

I started out shooting the pistol in a nearby vacant lot and the basement. We put fireplace logs against the wall and shot paper targets and old models of warships. You had to CALL your target (rudder, #1 turret, etc.) before firing.

The first handgun I ever got was a Colt Trooper - style Crosman CO2 revolver.

We also shot the Ithaca in the basement; he bought me my own when I turned 13. I still have it.

I never saw him shoot the Enfield until, when I was older, I bought ammo for it and we took it to the range. I later got a sporterized No. 4 Mk. 1 and sporterized it further.

I still have my first center-fire rifle, a Win. '94 in .30-'30 of course. He bought me that, my first shotgun (still have it) and my first black powder gun, an 1858 Remington New Army .44 I still have.

Sindawe
September 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
None, even though he was a veteran and recognized marksman in the Army. Of the extended family on both lines, I'm on the only "gun nut".

Tommygunn
September 14, 2006, 11:52 PM
Remington 550-1 .22 semiauto rifle
Browning Auto-5 12 gauge made in Belgium
M-1 Carbine
When he retired from his career he was given a 20 ga. Remington 870.
My nephew has that, the others are mine now.

mrsig
September 15, 2006, 12:28 AM
This is sad, but my aunt got all of my grandfather's guns. My dad did not want them. He has never owned a gun, but he did take me shooting when I was younger.

- Sig

OEF_VET
September 15, 2006, 12:49 AM
The ones I remember included:

Savage Model 110 in .30-'06
Mosin-Nagant 1891 (this was back in 1982, long before they were fashionable)
Taurus Model 66 (when he first went to work as a Deputy Sheriff after he retired from the USAF)
S&W Model 686 (replaced the 66, when his arthritis got to bad to qualify with it, he sold it to me)

I remember him having some form of 12 ga pump-action, but I don't remember what brand or model.

savage sam
September 15, 2006, 04:48 AM
Before I was born and while I was a young child, my dad had 4 guns. They were tools for hunting and eliminating pests.

Three H&R single-shot shotguns, in 12ga, 20ga, and .410, all used for pheasant, duck, rabbits, squirrels, general small game and assorted pests.

His only rifle for 17 years, given to him by my grandpa in '78, was a Savage 99 in 308, topped off with a Leupold 4x scope. It's accounted for several deer.

When I was 10, he got me my first gun, a Ruger 10-22RB. Since then, he's gotten:

-10-22RB for the rest of the kids when I moved out (I've got 5 younger siblings)
-2 Winchester 94 30-30s (one is now mine)
-Howa 1500 25-06
-Remington 722 300 Sav
-Ruger Single-Six 22
-Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag, (my mom doesn't prefer handguns in the house so only two of those :mad:
-6 more Savage 99s (3 in 300, 2 in 308, and 1 in 303 Sav)
-Marlin 336 30-30
-8mm Czech Mauser
-Russian M38 Nagant
-and no more shotguns...

Can you tell we are a Savage 99 family? :D My dad is still a utilitarian, but his idea is to give each of us kids their own deer rifle when they reach suitable age (got that covered), and to have enough 'extry' deer rifles for friends that may go hunting with us who don't have their own, plus a few inexpensive fun guns. He still doesn't ever shoot except to sight in before hunting season, or when he takes the kids to the range..

Waywatcher
September 15, 2006, 05:12 AM
Sadly niether of my parents have ever fired a gun, let alone owned one. I guess the apple fell very far from the tree. :)

shooting time
September 15, 2006, 07:19 AM
My dad had a win 30-30,win 22 semi auto,Jc higgins 12 ga and a 8mm mauser
my grandfather had win 30-30,ithaca 37,mossberg 22
I remember my uncle was a deputy sheriff and he had a bunch of guns mostly single action colts and a tommy gun we used to go over his house and shoot them often i wish he would have left me some of them colts.

iamkris
September 15, 2006, 07:40 AM
My dad wasn't a gun guy...he only had what had been passed on from the family

1873 Springfield Trapdoor -- inhereted from my mom's dad...it hung over the fireplace for 40 years...I have it now and fire it regularly
1897 Winchester 12 Ga -- inhereted from my mom's dad...my dad used it a grand total of the 3 time we went hunting...I have it now and use it for Cowboy Shooting
1892 Mannlicher Berthier 8mm Lebel -- inhereted from my mom's dad...hung on the gun rack for 40 years...I have it now and fire it regularly
Mossberg bolt action shotgun 20 ga -- inhereted from his father...the one I grew up on
Mossberg 46 (m)a 22 LR -- inhereted from his father...the one I grew up on...I have it now and fire it regularly

Since then, I've bought him 2 additional guns -- a Single Six and a Henry Lever Action 22.

I think the interesting thing about this thread is

how few guns our parents owned (guns viewed as tools vs as fun playthings?)
how many of our fathers weren't "gun guys"
how many we own in comparison

ozwyn
September 15, 2006, 09:23 AM
All my dad had was a old ruger .22 It was very old and poorly kept.

My grandfather, on the other hand, has this lever action winchester he bought when he was 8. (very different times from now obviously)

He is in his 90's now. Some bluing still survives. I believe one of my cousins has it now, so no idea on the serial # I can say for certain it has taken thousands of deer over the years.

Doug b
September 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
Dad hunted with an 1864 Colt s/s untill he could't get paper shells anymore,he tried plastic and they loosened the gun up after one season.Cool story behind this gun that he relayed to me.One Sunday afternoon in the early 30's a gentleman with NY plates "and on his way to california" came into town with hole in his radiator and stopped dad on the street and asked were he could get it fixed in a hurry.Dad said there was nothing open on Sun. but he would soldier it for him. When he was done the gent asked dad what he owed him, and dad jokingly said I'll take that shotgun on the back seat.The fellow handed him the colt and drove off.

FilJos
September 15, 2006, 10:12 AM
My old man was a copper. I loved his guns. I have a few of them now, but who knows what will happen to the rest. I think that no account brother who doesn't like guns will probably get them because he is the favorite.

Here's the List:

Marlin model 55 Goose Gun (I have it. I rescued it from the brothers place a few years back and restored it.)

Ithaca 37 (I did some restoration on it around the same time as the Marlin, but I don't know what happened to it after that.)

Colt Trooper MkIII (Currently in my possesion. I "borrowed" it for hiking in bear country.) This one I LOVE. It is the gun that I identify my Dad with. It was his first duty sidearm, purchased with love by my mom. Great Gun. And it has some great stories to go with it.

Colt 1911A1

S&W 66

S&W model 12 (I think) snubbie.

S&W 5926 (I think) I am not sure of the numbering. It was a special model produced by S&W for his PD only. There were only 50 or so made in that particular configuration.

Glock 22C for the last years of his career.

NEF Topper in .410, first gun I ever remember shooting. Also in my possesion.

mogunner
September 15, 2006, 05:59 PM
My Dad had 2, a Remington Single shot Bolt Action .22 and an old "Long Tom" 12 Gauge Goose gun. I can't remember the Manufacturer of the 12 Ga.

possum
September 15, 2006, 08:04 PM
these were the ones he had way back that I can remeber, but he has dratically changed his style in weapons over just the last 3 years or so an has a pretty darn good collection.

Then
nylon 66 (my favorite .22lr of all time!):)
winchester .357 lever action
various s&w revolvers
Amt hardballer
remington 1100 20ga

Now
Para carry .45
glock 17
glock 19
bushmaster m4
kahr k9 elite
various s&w revolvers m19, 686, 586, still!
browning buckmark
ruger new vaquero
and several others i can't remeber!

FLCLIFF
September 15, 2006, 08:38 PM
My dad had a Colt Cobra which he gave to me as a back up gun when I joined the police dpartment and then he had a Colt Detective Special with a three inch barrel which I inherited upon his death.

lee n. field
September 15, 2006, 08:45 PM

Same ones he's got now: an old Fox 16 gauge side by side, a Marlin 39A (finish in deplorable shape from having been kept in a hog house for a while :fire: :fire: :fire: ), and a butchered Westinghouse Mosin Nagant.

Alex45ACP
September 15, 2006, 08:55 PM
My dad has never owned any guns, and he used to be strongly anti 2nd Amendment... but I am slowly converting him... now he is talking about getting his own 9mm... it's a start :)

RH822
September 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
My Dad had the following guns that I can remember.

Sako Finnbear .270 Win
Savage 110E .243 Win
H&R Topper 158 20ga
Winchester 1400 12ga
Remington 1100 12ga
winchester 190 .22Lr
H&R Topper 058 ?? .410
J.C Higgins 101.24 .22lr
Winchester Model 70 .223 Rem and a two or three .22's that I can't
name off hand.

RH

44AMP
September 15, 2006, 09:34 PM
Let's see if I can remember......
An Eastern Field 12ga
A Marshwood 12ga
a couple of single shot 16ga, can't remember who made them...

Winchester 94 in .32 Special
Winchester 9422 in .22 Magnum
Savage 99 in .300 Savage
Savage 340 in .222 Remington
Browning BLR in .308 Winchester
Remington Model 600 in .308 Winchester

S&W Model 28 6inch
Colt 1911A1 .45ACP
Colt 1911A1 .38 Super
Browning Challenger .22LR
High Standard Sentinel .22LR
Ortgies .25ACP
S&W Model 29 .44Mag

I know there were others, I just can't remember them anymore.

Mom had a JC Higgins .22 bolt action single shot, and a Ruger Super Bearcat .22LR (with a left handed holster).

Moondoggie
September 15, 2006, 10:44 PM
My Dad served in the Marines in WWII & Korea and was a machinegunner.

He hunted & trapped a lot as a kid. Less frequently (Mostly squirrels) after his time in service. Dad was an outstanding marksman. He coached/taught two indoor clubs I shot in starting at age 10, first air rifles @ 15 feet, then .22's @ 50 ft. He bought a Mossberg mod 42-b tgt rifle for me when I was 12...$11. I still have it.

He had:

A Colt .32 pocket pistol...very old with zero blueing left on it. It was his Dad's. It always got tossed in the glovebox whenever we went on vacation, otherwise it was in his top dresser drawer. I suppose one of my 2 scumbag BIL's got it after Mom passed.

A jam-o-matic Stevens .22 tube fed semi-auto. Fortunetly, it had vents/slots in the side of the receiver so you could clear the jams with a pocket knife. Hey, it always went bang the FIRST time, and I killed many a squirrel with it starting at about age 6. I suppose one of my 2 scumbag BIL's got it after Mom passed.

A bolt action Mossberg .410. It was also my Grandpa's, and I have it now. It's really light, and if you practice a little you can quickly work the bolt with it still in your shoulder...darn near as quick as a pump.

I bought my first gun, Ruger MK I, in '68 when I was 16. Dad had to sign for it at the local hdwe store and never said a word about me having it. Later, before he died, I had acquired a few other quality firearms (700 BDL Varmint, S&W 25-2, etc) which I showed him, but he never really had anything to say about them, either.

Legionnaire
September 15, 2006, 10:59 PM
None, unfortunately. He had access to some type of shotgun when he was a kid, but never had any personal guns once he left home.

TimboKhan
September 16, 2006, 02:39 AM
Well, I was sort of lucky. My old man was just as avid a gun collector/trader then as he is now, so the variety and number of guns I grew up around was (and still is) staggering. Of those, there is only one that I remember as a child and that he still has, and that is this old Argentine 1911. I know its not the best gun on the block, but for some reason I have always just felt very strongly towards that gun. I still make him dig it out now and again, and I drop hints frequently about how badly I want it to no avail. I remember distinctly that when I was a little boy of maybe 5, that was the first gun that my dad actually let me touch, and I still feel some of that same excitement 30 years later when I touch it.

Shanghai McCoy
September 16, 2006, 02:52 AM
My dad just had an old single shot Stevens that he used to shoot rats in the chicken houses.He used rat shot so the bore was pretty funky as I remember.

Knotthead
September 16, 2006, 08:42 AM
I can't remember them all but I remember going into the room they were kept in and counting them from time to time and the count was usually thirty to forty. There has been a lot of turnover but among the ones I know are still there are a Colt Woodsman that his father-in-law gave him, a Model 99 in .300 Savage, a Lefever SxS that was his favorite squirrel gun, and what I believe is a U.S. Armory .30-40 Krag.

Legionnaire
September 16, 2006, 09:32 AM
I take some solace from the idea that if/when my kids reply to a similar question at some time in the future, they will be able to answer something other than "none," as I did in my earlier post to this thread! ;)

doggscube
September 16, 2006, 09:37 AM
My family wasn't a hunting/shooting family, but when I was a teenager my dad got his grandfather's Winchester 1894 30-30, approx. 1914 vintage. It's not in the greatest shape: the wood finish is rough, and the barrel is pitted (rifling mostly intact). We fired it recently for its first time in decades. It's too bad it isn't legal for deer in Ohio.

-Jeff

Rotorflyr
September 16, 2006, 10:03 AM
None, though when I was still living at home I had a Mossberg 500 Defender, but he didn't know I had it. Having said that, he also never specifically said I couldn't have a gun in the house :p

Though as Legionnaire said, my kids sure won't be able to same the same and I hope they will have some in their households when they are out of the house. :)

denfoote
September 16, 2006, 02:54 PM
As far as I know, my dad only owned one gun when I was a kid.
An old Remington single shot bolt action .22!!
Dad was a crack shot and only needed one!! :evil:
Every time we went to the range, we always just rented rifles.
I think it had something to do with the fact that mom was a proper eastern liberal and therefore had no need for guns!!

Euclidean
September 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
There are others, but this one was his favorite of them all.

http://i7.tinypic.com/21170gx.jpg

He had others of course, but here it is with a few more of his favorite things.

entropy
September 16, 2006, 03:57 PM
Far too many to remember, he was (and still is) always buying them, then deciding he wanted something different, and selling them. Just today I was talking to him, and we both regretted selling the 2.5" Python he had for an off- duty gun before they went to Glocks. He sold it to me, I sold it to pay the rent :(

The ones I remember:
12 ga. 1100, bought when they were new in the early 60's. Still has it.
Rem. 572 .22 pump. I put many rounds through that gun as a kid.
K-38 Combat Masterpiece. His duty gun when I was very young.
Colt Trooper MKIII. Replaced the K-38.
S&W M38 Bodyguard snubbie. Off duty gun.
Colt Pythons, one 4" and one 2.5" Replaced the Trooper and M38 S&W. I bought the pair of Pythons from him when his PD went to Glocks.
Ruger MkII. First gun I shot, in our basement, when I was 5.
Colt New Frontier .22. I put lots thru that one, too.
16 ga. Win M97. He sold it to my cousin. Tried to buy it back. HA!
Savage 99 in .300 Sav. Should have never sold that one.
Ruger 44 Auto Carbine.
Win. M12 riot. Still has it.
Glock 19. Off duty gun.
Glock 17. back-up to issue duty gun.
Sig 220. Duty gun as US Marshal's Deputy. I was grown by then.
Colt Commander LW. Sold to buy....
Colt Officer's ACP.
Some sort of European .380, probably an Ortgies, this was when I was very young. Off duty gun. Replaced by...
Walther PPK. Off duty gun.
Stevens 311 16 ga. Great grouse gun. I bought it from him, then sold it. :(
Western Field (Mossberg) 20 ga. bolt. My first duck gun.
A single shot .22 bolt with Krupp proofmarks, imported by Remington in the 20's. Was my grandpa's. My Dad, my uncle, me, and my oldest son all learned how to shoot a rifle with this one. It will be passed down.

I know there are (many) more, just can't remember them all.

Outlaw from Idaho
September 16, 2006, 06:42 PM
My Dad had a 300 savage in the 99 savage for deer and elk hunting. He also had a 97 Win in a 12 ga pump. He has a S&W 22 cal revolver. He is 83 years old and still going strong. Outlaw:D

Stevie-Ray
September 16, 2006, 09:02 PM
I inherited a Colt Pocket .32 Auto from my dad. He never fired it. It was his father's before that. In fact I never saw my dad fire a gun, but the Colt was the only one he ever had. Even when we were all shooting at my grandparents' farm in the U.P., he was there with us, but I didn't see him fire a weapon. Strange, but I never thought of that before.

aephilli822
October 2, 2006, 08:22 PM
Custom M-1 Garand (Heinzholdt 4x scope), Crome plated 1911-A1 (transition model)

Huddog
October 2, 2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know all as I was a late in life child and my dad died when I was 12. I know he had a Winchester lever in .32 and several shotguns. I didn't get any as my older brother took them to his house for "safekeeping" when Dad died and my Mother was anti gun for her "baby boy". i don't expect I will ever get any of Dad's guns as my brother has a son who will inherit all.

Glockamolie
October 3, 2006, 08:09 AM
Winchester Model 42 .410 pump, circa 1952. He got it when he was about 14. I have it in my gun safe.

Sistema1927
October 3, 2006, 08:41 AM
Growing up, he had exactly two: 1906 Winchester .22 (now mine) and 1897 16 ga. (now my brothers). Around age 11, the number of guns in our home doubled as I obtained my own .22 and soon followed up with a 12 ga.

My Dad now owns exactly one firearm, a Charter Arms Undercover .38. He does go with me from time to time to shoot my guns and ammo. Sometimes he has a hard time deciding exactly what he wants to shoot.

Patriot Guns
October 4, 2006, 01:04 AM
M1 Carbine he got after serving National Guard
Ruger Blackhawk .357 3 screw he had converted when I was about 5 yrs old
Remington .22lr Rifle jammed alot. Sold
O3A3 Sporterized and rechambered to .308 Norma Mag. He sold to pay for bills when I was about 10. He cried.

These are the ones we shot on Saturday mornings near the house in the foothills. :)

He has since bought and sold 20-25 guns.

I rekindled his interest in guns when I bought my first (Glock 21 .45 ACP) at the age of 21. Since then I have had upwards of 75 different guns of my own and now have about 25.

We still shoot together at Thanks Giving, Christmas and 4th of July.:D

GungHo
October 4, 2006, 02:50 PM
Ones I remember most:
Ruger Security Six -- Still a fine shooting gun
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt
Ruger 10/22
Beretta 86 -- Taught me not to double-up my grip unless I wanted to lose skin
Winchester 1894 .30-30 -- Took my first deer with it
Winchester Model 12
Timberwolf -- Israeli pump rifle in .357

There are others, but those are the ones I learned on

Sisco
October 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
The only guns my Dad had were an 1148 Remington, a Remington 03A3, an Inland M1 carbine, a HiStandard Double Nine .22 revolver and a Llama 1911 9mm.
I still have 'em all.

david_the_greek
October 4, 2006, 03:28 PM
mossberg 500
benelli m3 super90
benelli legacy

M1 garand
1903A3
sks (dont remember which)
2 enfield no4 mkII
a mosin
yugo m48

Browning high power
kimber gold match
ruger mkII
sig 230
I think I gott'em all. he set me on the right path when it came to getting guns

Grizzley Adams
October 4, 2006, 09:33 PM
my dad had 2 guns a flintlock rifle,and a winchester double barreled shotgun,both served him well and he is buryed with both of them.

Niner
October 4, 2006, 09:54 PM
My father didn't hunt, although he had a Reminginton Scoremaster 22 for killing sharks and a Mossburg 12 gauge, both of which he let me and my brothers hunt with.

His prize pistol I inherited. It was a .22 Walther that a fraternty brother and close friend gave him when he returned from WW11. The friend was a Major in the signal corp.

The pistol was his home defense gun all of his life. Thankfully he never had to defend his home with a .22.

The pistol has a slightly melted handle on one side. Kind of makes you wonder what the actual history was. I prize it more than any of my collection.

Guns_and_Labs
October 4, 2006, 11:22 PM
None. My dad was a minister, liberal and pacificist. Fortunately, his beliefs were never tested.

I take after my grandfather, who had, as far as I can tell, a .38 revolver in the bedroom (former military issue, I was told), and a rifle and shotgun in the closet downstairs. Or maybe my uncles, who all seem to have been issued a .22LR revolver, a .45 acp 1911, a .30-06 of indeterminate make, and a 12 ga. side-by-side. Substitute a duty revolver for the 1911 in the case of the LEO uncles (the rest are all military).

Of course, I seem to have missed the lesson about "one gun", last I checked the three gun safes.

slicknickns
October 5, 2006, 03:07 AM
All i can say he is quite the aficionado. And has quite a extensive collection, but it all fits into one nice very heavy safe. and a couple of lock boxes for various closests. From stuff strictly for hunting to home defense and barricades.

Dravur
October 5, 2006, 10:07 AM
I truly love all of my dad's guns that I have and would never sell or dispose of any of them.

He had a nice collection and I have it now in my safes. He had a;
1901 vintage Colt Peacemaker
03A3 Springfield sprterized into his hunting rifle
Winchester model 63 i learned tyo shoot with
High Standard HD military, I learned to shoot pistol with.
4" Model 19
a Few shotties,
some more rifles.

But the items I treasure the most are the black powder guns he built over the years. He bought the kits and took his time, polishing every surface, and Tru-oiling the stocks with dozens of coats until they shined with an inner glow. He put hours of love into each gun. I have 3 revolvers and 4 rifles he built.

My fave is the .45 Hawkens rifle. The first he ever built himself. It is a thing of beauty. and is set with a set trigger which makes the primary trigger about half an ounce, but my dad loved to shoot that.

He is still living and still loves to shoot. I try and pick him up any gun he ever mentions as wanting to shoot, my way of honoring him. I even got him a Schofield one day as he thought they were interesting.

If anyone knows of a nice pennsylvania rifle, flintlock, in a .36 to .45 caliber, with the long wood and the roman nose stock, I am looking for one for him. He was always sad that he never made a penn rifle with a flintlock. I would like to find one for him, just so he can shoot it, and if it needs it, refinish it. He has gotten past where he wants to build them from scratch, unfortunatly.

whatbrick
October 5, 2006, 02:03 PM
Here's what I can remember:

(*) - denotes that I now have it
(#) - denotes that my brother now has it

Colt 1911A1 (stolen over 10 years ago - may they rot)
Colt 1911A1 Reproduction (purchased in recent years)
* Springfield 03A3 (turned into hunting rifle like above)
# M1 Garand
Colt Trooper in .357 mag (claimed by mom shortly after wedding)
* Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag
Remington 700 (left-handed for mom)
Single-shot Shikari .44 Rem. Mag
# .300 Win Mag (can't remember make/model)
# .264 bolt-action (can't remember make/model)
* Browning semi-auto 12ga.
New England Firearms single-shot 12ga.
# Double-barrel 12ga. (can't remember make/model)
Ruger 10/22
Pair of pearl-handled Derringers (sold some years ago)
* Winchester bolt-action chambered in .375 Whelen
# Colt SAA - .45LC
# Single-action .22 revolver (can't remember make/model)
* Stevens model 87A - .22lr
Ruger Mk.II (given to my brother's father-in-law as a gift)
J.P. Lower model Sharps blackpowder rifle in .45-90 (recent father's day gift)

There were other's that he sold/traded over the years, but they were either before me or I can't remember them.

shadowbuz
October 5, 2006, 02:11 PM
Dad was a Baptist preacher, but had a nickle plated Smith and Wesson Mod 10 from Christmas 1948. lI never knew what happened to it, but it finally made it's way "home" last June.

atvalaska
February 28, 2010, 11:18 PM
he gave it to me, and now i don't have either..:(

boatmanschneider
March 1, 2010, 06:49 AM
winchester 1200 and a mossberg .22 bolt action for hunting fox and rabbit. I still have them.

rogertc1
March 1, 2010, 06:55 AM
Sears bolt action 12GA, Ruger MK1, 1917 Colt 45APC/45C , Remington 1911A!, S&W Mod 10, and a M1 Carbine. That was all there was in our family growing up.

RippinSVT
March 1, 2010, 07:07 AM
.44mag SBH, Nylon 66, Rem 511 Scoremaster, Winchester 1200 12ga.

swiftak
March 1, 2010, 07:28 AM
My father never owned any guns. My grandfather was a hunter and owned several guns. I never met him as he died in 1946, and I was born in 1957. I saw the guns in my uncles closet when I was 9 or 10. I can only imagine what these guns were. I remember a bolt action rifle and a double barrel shotgun among others. They are all gone now. It breaks my heart.

Murphys Law
March 1, 2010, 07:41 AM
My dad's only long gun was an Ithaca Model 37 shotgun and he also owned an old Colt 1911 .45 and a Colt .45 SAA (peacemaker). I still have the 1911 but sadly the SAA and the Ithaca are long gone.

rugerman
March 1, 2010, 04:06 PM
My dad was a forrester, loved the woods, loved to hunt and fish carried a ruger standard 22 pistol with the 6+ inch barrell for as long as I could remember (holster wore 2 front sights off it) its at my sisters now. He left me an old savage 12ga auto (looks like a hump back browning) a 12 &20 ga 1100, a 94 in 30-30 a 303 enfield, a remi 22 and a stevens 22 they all now reside in my gun case, damn I miss him.

almostfree
March 1, 2010, 05:11 PM
My father only had a couple when I was growing up. He had a pristine 1968 Colt Python, a Browning Hi-Power, a Remington 870 Wingmaster, a broken 1878 Colt double action revolver in .44-40, and an ancient (but presumably working) flintlock pistol that he got in a trade with a Montagnard in southeast Asia. He was always more of a knife collector. When I became interested in firearms as an adult, I helped convince him to triple his collection.

the_right_reverend
March 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
My dad was a accomplished trap shooter and had a fetish for browning Shotguns in any form side by side over under and auto........... all still leaning in a broom closet in a farm house in the woods

haven't move a inch since his death 15 years ago

Nautilus
March 1, 2010, 06:40 PM
Savage 99 in 300 savage (gave me when I was 15)
Ramington 742 (30-06) To replace the Savage he gave me.
Winchester 1400 12ga
H&R 10ga single shot
Remington SP10
Unsure of the brand 10ga O/U
Ruger 10-22
SKS
Ruger black hawk .44mag
Ruger Security Six .357mag
Ruger P85
Ruger .22 handgun
Tec-9

The two guns that stand out were the Remington 742 and the Winchester 1400, they are the only two guns that ever came out of the gun cabinet.

FROGO207
March 1, 2010, 07:12 PM
He still has them.:cool: An old Savage Stevens single shot bolt action .22, A Winchester 30-30 saddle ring carbine from the turn of the century, and an OLD 16 guage break open single shot that has no markings on it at all. Still uses them and is as good a shot as I am (while I practice LOTS more).:D

He shot 4 groundhogs this last summer in front of the barn. Told me that you have to aim 10" to the right at 30' to hit something!! I offered to fix the aim and he said to leave it the way it was as his father had used it for years that way and he is going to also.:D

Win1892
March 1, 2010, 09:08 PM
Inland M1 carbine
Browning BAR in 270
Win 1892 in 38WCF
Polish Radom
Browning A5
High Standard 22 revolver
Ruger 9mm auto
Ruger 10/22
Russian SKS
Couple of single shot shotguns
S&W 1000 12 ga. Auto

Grandad had a nickel S&W 38 sp that was Lend Lease marked

Zip7
March 1, 2010, 11:11 PM
Man, I can't open my safe without thinking of my Dad. He passed away a few years ago, and had a good many guns... He introduced me to shooting with a Winchester model 67 22 single shot, and a 39A. I have both in my safe.

The first 12 gauge I ever shot was an old Zephyr Woodlander made by Victor Sarasqueta. It was the first gun I remember Dad carrying when he took me squirrel hunting or dove hunting. I still have it, and take it out every year opening day of Dove season, and shoot some birds with it I shoot a little trap with it occasionally too. I love the old girl...

http://www.ride8.com/images/knives/woodlander.jpg

When I was a teenager, I hunted more than my dad did, and he didn't want me out pounding on the old spanish double - because I wasn't very easy on guns. I came into about $1000 and in 1980 he helped me pick out my own double - a field grade Browning Citori. I used it some, but really used my 870 more, and a few years later when I wanted to sell it he wouldn't let me - he gave me some money instead. I have it in my safe today. My Dad was a smart man when it came to guns.

Arkansas Paul
March 1, 2010, 11:48 PM
The two I remember growing up were two classics. A 12 gauge pump, and a Winchester 94.

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 2, 2010, 01:33 AM
Dad was an avid hunter, and when I was growing up he killed chucks by the dozens with a Remington 700 chambered in 25-06.

He also had a little Mossberg 640 Chuckster in .22 Magnum. It has the little fold-down plastic fore-end. He bought it when he was 21, so the Mossy must be approaching 50 years old.

He also killed a lot of dove with a Browning Light 12 automatic.

When I was 14 he bought me my own groundhog gun (I had been using the Chuckster up until then) A Remington 600 Mohawk in .222.

When he passed away, I inherited all of these and still have them. I'll still own them when I die.

If I get around to hatching young-uns at some point, I'll pass them on. If not, they'll probably end up with a cousin of mine.

KR

Nico Testosteros
March 2, 2010, 09:25 AM
Like some others, I'm also coming from a tradition of no guns. I couldn't even have a BB gun as a kid.
But I'm making up for that now. Having married a native west Texan helps.
I've been given a gun for Christmas for the past 3 years.:D

Officers'Wife
March 2, 2010, 12:01 PM
My Dad had many and all well treated. Most were antiques as he preferred lever action rifles. Since he retired he has giving most to myself and my siblings. I won't bother to list them all just the highlights.

His 'saddle gun' was an 1892 in 32-20 that now is in my possession.
His "coyote rifles" are a bolt action Springfield in 30-06 and a 50 cal bolt action of a type I don't know.
His 'business rifle' - a long barreled swing block in 45-70 that he and my grandfather often argued over.
His 'play rifle' - a semi automatic FN FAL

As for handguns, he only had three. A Colt revolver in 32-20, a S&W (mil issue) in 45 LC that fired 45 ACP with little 'half moon clips' that kept them from falling through. And last but not least, a Colt 1911 in 45 ACP. Dad has little use for handguns, but like the guy in the movie that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to use one.

cbrgator
March 2, 2010, 12:10 PM
None

Jonah71
March 2, 2010, 12:20 PM
Was raised by my Uncle. He had an old Browning 12 ga. and a .22 semi auto (don't recall the brand. maybe a remington). He gave me my first gun. Stevens .22 bolt action single shot. All I can remember hunting with him is rabbit, squirel, quail, and dove. I sure got tired of cleaning and eating squirrel. Loved the rest.

NMGonzo
March 2, 2010, 02:35 PM
.32 long revolver

mgkdrgn
March 3, 2010, 05:45 PM
... are some of the ones I have now. Winchester Model 72A 22lr, and Remington 870 12g Wingmaster.

d2wing
March 3, 2010, 06:24 PM
My dad had a .35 Rem Pump, old Iver Johnsom single shot 12 guage, and Winchester 74 22lr, eventually replaced with a Rem. nylon 66, after he ran over it with a binder.

marv
March 3, 2010, 09:02 PM
The only ones I recall: Forehand Arms 16ga single shot he bought at age 18 in 1911. I still have it. Win M74 in .22 short. H&R .22 Trapper model. Ortgies 32 auto.

Weedy
March 3, 2010, 09:09 PM
My favorite of my Dad's is a Western Field 16ga pump with the adjustable choke. We've never shot it much but I always thought it was pretty dang cool. Also my great-grandpa's Savage Model 99 in .22 Hi Power.

KAK
March 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
My father just passed away on Thursday after fighting lung cancer for 2 years. He was only 54. :(:(:(:(:(

He wasn't into guns very long, but I heightened his interest, before long he had more and better guns than me.

Me and my brother split up the guns like this:
I got the Glocks 17, 27
I shot them today, It felt good to shoot his guns and think about the good times.

He got Mossberg JIC, Taurus 357 snub, Kel Tec P3at.

Daveboone
March 4, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Springfield 1863, which I still have, Model 39 Marlin, (Still have), Remington 48 semi auto 12 gauge, Sporterized Mauser 98, still have. I wish I had the nickel plated Colt 1860 he had!

hiram2005
March 4, 2010, 01:33 PM
H+R 410, Marlin 39, S+W K-22 and a S+W model 15. He's still got all but the 15. Let it go after he left the police department.

sig228
March 4, 2010, 06:06 PM
KAK, sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds like a fair split. Enjoy and cherish those guns.

gidaeon
March 4, 2010, 11:48 PM
None.

My children will not answer the same question with the same answer however.

KAK
March 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
KAK, sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds like a fair split. Enjoy and cherish those guns.

Thanks Sig Im still really shooken up over the whole thing. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns your father had when you were growing up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!