lyman tru-line junior press

PDA

palerider1
January 10, 2006, 02:49 AM
i just got a (brand new in the box) lyman tru-line junior reloading press. this press is in mint condition. all i had to do was put a light coat of oil on some of its parts. its painted orange without one scratch or knick in it....its probably from the 40's, 50's, or 60's. i have new in the box reloading dies for .222 remington , and 9mm luger. i need a set of 45 acp dies. if anyone knows of some please let me know. it has to be able to fit my press, i guess the newer dies dont fit the older presses, but i'm brand new to reloading so i am still very wet behind the ears and eager to learn. mayby some of you old timers could enlighten me on what i have. i always want to learn more. :)

thanks,
palerider1

If you enjoyed reading about "lyman tru-line junior press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jondar
January 10, 2006, 11:17 AM
Great little press. I used one for years before my son gave me a new Lyman. Look on Ebay for Lyman 310 dies. I used mine for .45 ACP and .44 Special.

Gaffer
January 10, 2006, 02:52 PM
It was the first reloading press I owned and strangely enough I used it to reload .222 Rem. Was using Ball-C powder at apx a dollar a pound and in the Rem. 722 rifle with a six power scope I put the fear in every woodchuck for miles around. As recall it only neck sized but that is how I started. That was in the mid 50's and now fifty plus years later I am still at it but with considerably more presses and gear than then.

palerider1
January 10, 2006, 04:41 PM
Great little press. I used one for years before my son gave me a new Lyman. Look on Ebay for Lyman 310 dies. I used mine for .45 ACP and .44 Special.

if you still have the dies and are interested in selling them please let me know. i'd buy the 45's and the 44's.

thanks,
paul gilson

palerider1

jondar
January 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
Paul, I will have to dig them out and see what shape they are in. If I remember it may be bad. I still have the press, I bought it used from a co-worker who loaded .45 ACPs with it, and the .45 ACP dies came with it. I would hesitate to say how many 45's that old press has loaded. But like the Energiser bunny . . . .

Boxerrider
January 10, 2006, 08:27 PM
Lyman still lists 310 dies (which fit your press) individually & in sets. Obscure calibers might not be available but .45 ACP is there.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/dies.htm

Enjoy!

Quantrill
January 11, 2006, 05:05 PM
The Lyman Tru-line Jr press was my first. It broke apart in 2 weeks. Lyman sent me another. It lasted 2 weeks. Lyman took as a trade in for a Lyman All American. Be aware that the Tru-Line jr is not the most hardy press out there. The dies, as has been mentioned are still sold as Lyman 310 dies. HOWEVER, they are STEEL dies and as such, cases must be lubricated prior to insertion, EVEN straight wall pistol cases. Quantrill

palerider1
January 11, 2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.

AYLA
February 10, 2010, 10:35 PM
I just bought a lyman tru-line jr press with about 40 310 dies for $100. Looking for info. No rust on anything.

preventec47
May 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
The thread might be old but the info is always current.
I jsut bought a Lyman Tru-Line Press and 222 dies
"accidentially". I say accidentially as I believed it would
support the standard size dies of today. now I find it
only supports the 310 dies Well for $45 bucks shipped
I didnt get hurt too bad and if I can find some 45 acp
dies or 38 special I'll probably be all right.

But here is the dilemna. I have some std size dies and
I still have to get a regular press to fit them.
If I spend $50 bucks for the turret converter for the Lyman Jr
press to use the std size dies, then I will have to spend another
$25 for the shell holder and primer converter etc.
Well that is $75 bucks right there
and about the same price as the LEE 4 turret press.

I'm thinking I might just be better off selling this little
Lyman Jr press and 222 dies for what I have in it
and just start clean with the LEE 4 hole turret.

Everyone agree with that ?

loadedround
May 28, 2010, 05:15 PM
Brings back memories. I started reloading on a Tru-Line Jr press back in the mid '60's and used it up until the early '70's when I bought an All-Ameican press. Yes Lyman still lists the 310 dies and an adapter to use standard shell holders and not the obsolete J holders.

Seedtick
May 28, 2010, 11:35 PM
preventec47, yeah I'd go with the Lee turret press.
But get the one made out of cast iron, Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press. (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=814175)
It's just better all around.

ST

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "lyman tru-line junior press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!