Out with the old...

PDA

dasmi
January 10, 2006, 03:03 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, distinguished guests, we are here this evening, January 9, in the Year of Our Lord 2006, to decommission my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 from Home Defense Longgun duty. Purchased at a sporting goods store for $79.99, 91/30 has served faithfully for many months, even though it was not really the most appropriate weapon for the role. The rifle was made in 1928, and thus I am surely not the first person to sleep soundly in the knowledge that it was near. The primary role of this rifle will now be recreation, and I am certain it will continue to serve well, as it has these 78 years.
http://sixforsure.org/gallery/albums/uploads/longguns/normal_9130_3_%28Small%29.jpg
Assuming the roll of Home Defense Longgun, is my new Mossberg 500A, which I fired for the first time today. It proved itself to be reliable, and is ready to begin active duty this evening.
http://sixforsure.org/gallery/albums/uploads/mossberg500/normal_PDRM0001.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Out with the old..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
January 10, 2006, 03:07 AM
I've got some high speed low drag guns, but it's the mossy 12 Ga that I'd rather have when things go bump in the night. That's why there's one on my bedroom wall, out of Munchkin's reach (he's one and a half).

dasmi
January 10, 2006, 04:07 AM
I'm turning in.
And so begins my first night with a 12 gauge next to the bed.

DevLcL
January 10, 2006, 04:37 AM
Godspeed dasmi. I expect a full detailed report in the morning.

-Dev

SilentStalker
January 10, 2006, 05:03 AM
LMAO, you guys are hilarious. Nice gun purchase. Def. nice to have around when things go bump in the night, just make sure you know what is causing the bump before you start firing that bad boy. A friend of mine's dad woke up to a bump in the night at one point in time and well wound up shooting his VCR/bigscreen TV and then went back to sleep. He got rid of the bump temporarily LMAO but wasn't to happy the next morning when he realized what he had done. Turns out what scared him was some animal sound on his TV while he was asleep. He had his TV on Animal Planet LOL. Anyways it was a funny story under these circumstances but if it had been a person instead of a VCR/Tv that would have been a completely different story. Just make sure you know what you intend on shooting. Oh yeah and I must mention that this dude scares me LOL, he is a crazy drunk.

By the way I thought the 500A had a pistol grip stock from the factory.

mnrivrat
January 10, 2006, 05:38 AM
A friend of mine's dad woke up to a bump in the night at one point in time and well wound up shooting his VCR/bigscreen TV and then went back to sleep. :what:

Oh yeah and I must mention that this dude scares me LOL, he is a crazy drunk. :uhoh:

Sounds like friends dad shouldn't have a gun ! Or a sharp object either !

mole
January 10, 2006, 11:18 AM
Two very good choices. My first gun was a Mossberg identical to yours. It lies between the bed and the wall and is the thing I'd grab.

"By the way I thought the 500A had a pistol grip stock from the factory." I have yet to see one that came that way from the factory (although some might indeed), but I have seen where some dealers will throw in an aftermarket one. I bought a pistol grip for mine and can't hit crap with it. Stick to the standard stock.

My 1930 Tula 91/30 was my first "high powered" rifle. Your's probably was rebarreled when reworked. The receiver date is located under the tang. It's kinda hard to have a 1930 model gun made in 1928.;)

So, how'd she sleep?

doubleaes2
January 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
Mole,

My 500a did come with the P/G only. It was labeled as the Cruiser model. I promptly took off thP/G and replaced it with a factory synthetic stock and a limbsaver

Azrael256
January 10, 2006, 12:33 PM
I've been using my Mossy 500 for just that job for quite some time now. I've got the Ducks Unlimited model. I don't know what that means, but that's what it says on the receiver. Good shotgun, IMO.

What load you using? I've got 00Buck in the gun with 5 slugs in a buttcuff. All of this on a CB choke.

dasmi
January 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
And I'm awake. It was actually an eventful night.
About 2 AM, I was awakened by a very loud crash/bang/wham kind of noise. I got out of bed, quietly chambered a round, and went to my bedroom door. I heard nothing. I stood there for a few minutes, still heard nothing from the other side. I opened it, and looked out. No one moving. Doors and windows intact. Slowly I walked across the living room, to the front windows, and looked out. Nothing. Walked to the kitchen, and looked out, male figure in the drive, near my truck. He turned, and starting walking from the drive, down towards the steps which would lead him to the front door. I went back to my bedroom doorway, which is directly across from the front door and waited. As I saw him come past the front windows into the porch light, I see none other than my landlord's younger brother. So I quickly put the shotgun behind the door in my room, and flick on the lights. Apparently, he thinks it's entirely appropriate to drop off a load of 2x4s and engine parts at 2 AM.

1911 guy
January 10, 2006, 12:52 PM
I've heard several times of "repair men" showing up at odd hours to do work or drop off supplies. Sometimes it's inconsideration for residents, sometimes it's an excuse for casing a place for easy pickings. Just because he's the landlords brother doesn't mean he's honest.

dasmi
January 10, 2006, 12:55 PM
I've heard several times of "repair men" showing up at odd hours to do work or drop off supplies. Sometimes it's inconsideration for residents, sometimes it's an excuse for casing a place for easy pickings. Just because he's the landlords brother doesn't mean he's honest.
He wasn't casing the house. He and his brother have a music studio and workshop in one of the out buildings, he's around all the time. He's already here when we aren't. He's a good guy, I've spoken with him on numerous occasions.

mole
January 10, 2006, 01:07 PM
I stand corrected. How well does the limbsaver work?

mole

Pilgrim
January 10, 2006, 01:44 PM
Turns out what scared him was some animal sound on his TV while he was asleep. He had his TV on Animal Planet LOL.
I sometimes fall asleep without setting the timer on the TV to turn itself off. One early morning, around 0300 hrs., I was abruptly awakened by my whippet Gracie who was barking fiercely at the TV.

Gracie was one of my few dogs who watched television, especially the Animal Planet. This early morning the Animal Planet was on, and Gracie was greatly upset by the image of a lion on her favorite program. It was interesting that while Gracie had never seen a lion, or tiger, or bear in her life, she knew what they were as opposed to 'gentle' animals like deer, elk, horses, etc.

That one morning I was certain Gracie had sensed an intruder and was sounding General Quarters so that Dad would load up and run out the guns to repel boarders.

Pilgrim

ball3006
January 10, 2006, 01:51 PM
in 1927.........as trial rifles. Then they were officially adopted in 1930.....Nice shotgun you have there. I use an old double 12 that I had cut down to 20 inches for cowboy action shooting, which I no longer shoot. You can always pull both triggers at once if the need arises......two loads of #4 will keep the emergency room doc busy for awhile.......chris3

SilentStalker
January 10, 2006, 04:22 PM
:what:

:uhoh:

Sounds like friends dad shouldn't have a gun ! Or a sharp object either !

I agree! You want to know the sad part? Not only does the government trust him with a gun LOL, but he has a dealer's license or class III weapons license so you guessed it he can even get his hands on automatic weapons. Real good on the government's part huh?

If you enjoyed reading about "Out with the old..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!